Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone here use 6mm stokbord for ring feeders, how has it faired out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    I gave up on bothering to parlour train heifers here, instead I have them mixed in with some dry cows now, I find that helps hugely when they come into the milking herd then. I also always have help for one milking a day during most of Feb and March. Had very few problems last yr, use to be hell on myown before ha.

First time doing it. Heifers used to be split between aut and spring and always had a good share of cows milking so didn't really need to but a good few calving in Feb now so will hopefully make things easier. 2 hours for 42 of em. And the friendly feckers are the worst no moving em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    Turning heifers into parlour here for a bit of training and tail clipping. Pray for me

Ours are flying in...all in properly on second day and running in on the third.

What we do is on the first day we run them the reverse way through the parlour..that way they are going forward single file back through the exit race through the front gates of the parlour and the while thing only stops when they reach the back gate...then hit the feeder..

On the second day, now they know the ration is in those feeders, given a little quiet time from the collecting yard they make their own way in, and we feed individually as each arrives at their spot.

Flying in by third day, and we let them recycle around and in again for another little bit...that way when the exit gate is opened, they rush off to get around rather than trying to coax them to leave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

alps wrote: »

What we do is on the first day we run them the reverse way through the parlour..that way they are going forward single file back through the exit race through the front gates of the parlour and the while thing only stops when they reach the back gate...then hit the feeder..

On the second day, now they know the ration is in those feeders, given a little quiet time from the collecting yard they make their own way in, and we feed individually as each arrives at their spot.

Flying in by third day, and we let them recycle around and in again for another little bit...that way when the exit gate is opened, they rush off to get around rather than trying to coax them to leave...

Now that sounds like another brilliant idea,that we'll try here
    Normally we let them run with the cows for a while and most of them eventually come in,especially when they've discovered the nuts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

similar here.first let them wander the collecting yard for an hour.then pull ration and let them in as they please but dont let feeders fill to avoid noise.next day pull ration after a couple minutes.next day pull straight away.next day let feeders fill to get them used to that noise.a couple of days later switch on machine and then later radio.the big advantage is when they calve they fly in early in the row-nothing worse than having heifers at the back of a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I just applied to join my local teagasc dairy grass group. Is it worth the hassle? I'll give it a go for a while anyway. Alot of silage bales on the move around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Who knew the Saudi crown prince was a vegan haha, wouldn’t be the poster boy the vegan world needs given his gra for wholesale state sponsered murders of anyone that displeases him, their is a massive margin to be made on vegan food from the processors side so obviously they will push whatever agenda lines their pockets most but the facts they present re water use and saving the planet going vegan over meat/dairy are made up fanatical bulls**t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Who knew the Saudi crown prince was a vegan haha, wouldn’t be the poster boy the vegan world needs given his gra for wholesale state sponsered murders of anyone that displeases him, their is a massive margin to be made on vegan food from the processors side so obviously they will push whatever agenda lines their pockets most but the facts they present re water use and saving the planet going vegan over meat/dairy are made up fanatical bulls**t

Vegans are just loopy.

Pure and simple....and should never be let into positions of power.

Sinead O Connor and Hitler.
    Famous Vegans and for loopiness.

• Advertisement

straight wrote: »
    I just applied to join my local teagasc dairy grass group. Is it worth the hassle? I'll give it a go for a while anyway. Alot of silage bales on the move around the place.

It is but you have to be prepared to host a walk too.
    (Just have to practice that myself sometime :pac: )

It's of benefit really to just give you a benchmark against the rest of the group.

Vegans are just loopy.

Pure and simple....and should never be let into positions of power.

Sinead O Connor and Hitler.
    Famous Vegans and for loopiness.

Bill gates is the most intresting, has invested huge money in vegan food companies and had a huge amount of shares in Monsanto before it merged with Bayer, a company that now basically has a monopoly on thy plant based food market, if you follow the money it’s not hard to see what the end game is for these billionaire vegan crusaders

Bill gates is the most intresting, has invested huge money in vegan food companies and had a huge amount of shares in Monsanto before it merged with Bayer, a company that now basically has a monopoly on thy plant based food market, if you follow the money it’s not hard to see what the end game is for these billionaire vegan crusaders
    I don't think he is vegan. He doesn't have that vegan/cocaine user look about him.

He's invested in vegan companies alright but I'd say it's mostly on their global quest to end world hunger.
    Maybe I'm too naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

In general tech lads/lasses are more that way, Interesting he's put big investment into toilets and waste technology

Mortelaro wrote: »

I'm not grazing out my entire farm,I'd say there's about 50 acres in the available MP closed since November and staying closed
    Always hedge a bit
    Anything grazed now is for slurry
    But to answer your question ,we used get in sheep over the winter for 30 or 40 years to bare up paddocks and never had a grass shortage in spring ,just thicker lovely grass
    All the cows are doing now this week is the exact same job while ground conditions are good,plus making cheap milk to boot,what's not to like?

OK I'll take back mostly what I said there ha, milkers out by night here now also, and silage totally out of the diet, just maize and parlour nuts. Nicely helps my problem of having half a pit of silage buried behind the maize ha.

OK I'll take back mostly what I said there ha, milkers out by night here now also, and silage totally out of the diet, just maize and parlour nuts. Nicely helps my problem of having half a pit of silage buried behind the maize ha.

Brilliant, it's unreal conditions at the moment, I'm expecting to get another week to 10 days out day and night
    We are feeding grass silage for about 2 hours before milking
    Opened the main pit yesterday, had been feeding the October silage up until then,it turned out good stuff,MS's are decently high on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

kevthegaff wrote: »
    In general tech lads/lasses are more that way, Interesting he's put big investment into toilets and waste technology

Our man's money is in the improving the success of food storage/distribution game to cut down spoil in sub continent and SE Asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What percent hydrated lime are ppl finding is best for cubicles?
    Local place has white rhino, mastercal 10% and agrical 50%.
    Which is the best out of them?

Use the 10% here, mastercal as well, easy to spread. White rhino is harsh on cow's and dusty to spread. Asked about higher percentage stuff but they didn't have it locally so stuck with the 10%. Will be trimming tails this week when dosing as well helps keeps them much cleaner. Used to wait till calving and trim when fit for tank but should be ok that way with tape and paint. Used cepravin on all cows bar a number calving mid Feb which were too close for cepravin withdrawal so used cephagaurd on them. May be no harm to have a few with short withdrawal mid season take the pressure of in parlour anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

What percent hydrated lime are ppl finding is best for cubicles?
    Local place has white rhino, mastercal 10% and agrical 50%.
    Which is the best out of them?

Using 30% hydrated blend from Mcgrath quarries ,cubicles and cows way drier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    Use the 10% here, mastercal as well, easy to spread. White rhino is harsh on cow's and dusty to spread. Asked about higher percentage stuff but they didn't have it locally so stuck with the 10%. Will be trimming tails this week when dosing as well helps keeps them much cleaner. Used to wait till calving and trim when fit for tank but should be ok that way with tape and paint. Used cepravin on all cows bar a number calving mid Feb which were too close for cepravin withdrawal so used cephagaurd on them. May be no harm to have a few with short withdrawal mid season take the pressure of in parlour anyway

Bought mastercal 160€ a tonne.
    All orbenin here. 46 day withdrawal.
    Trimmed and dosed all ours last week. IBR tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bought mastercal 160€ a tonne.
    All orbenin here. 46 day withdrawal.
    Trimmed and dosed all ours last week. IBR tomorrow.

Are yours all dry or are you still milking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Using sawdust in morning and dusting with Agrical in afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Doing the two together here in the morning. Lime gives a bit of a bind to the shavings.

We did a renovation job on the main building here this year. Like a new building. Probably cost €400 per space incl new scraper system and an increase in storage capacity of 50%. Extended some beds by 200mm and removed a dividing wall between two beds facing each other. Replaced 60% of the cubicles with Condons space sharers. Huge reduction in the amount of bedding being used with a similar reduction in labour. Cleaner and more comfortable cows. Had to wait until we could put the funds together but really should have done it sooner. First year in a while that we're not panicking about the opening of spreading season.

Increase of almost 50% in feeding area also. Slatted new storage and have a 22ft×75ft yard with feeding barrier and trough. The old rule of thumb used to be 1ft of feeding rail per 2ft of cubicle space, starting to think it should be closer to 2:3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Any problems with the sawdust in the slurry after??

Doing the two together here in the morning. Lime gives a bit of a bind to the shavings.

We did a renovation job on the main building here this year. Like a new building. Probably cost €400 per space incl new scraper system and an increase in storage capacity of 50%. Extended some beds by 200mm and removed a dividing wall between two beds facing each other. Replaced 60% of the cubicles with Condons space sharers. Huge reduction in the amount of bedding being used with a similar reduction in labour. Cleaner and more comfortable cows. Had to wait until we could put the funds together but really should have done it sooner. First year in a while that we're not panicking about the opening of spreading season.

Increase of almost 50% in feeding area also. Slatted new storage and have a 22ft×75ft yard with feeding barrier and trough. The old rule of thumb used to be 1ft of feeding rail per 2ft of cubicle space, starting to think it should be closer to 2:3.

I'm not gonna lie I feel like abit of an idiot for spending 40k on the 2nd yard and now I have the cows happy outside eating outa ring feeders haha.

Just thought I'd give ye a quick update on the possible cold weather towards the end of the month,it now looks like the stratospheric warming is downwelling into the troposphere where our weather is made,it's effect on weakening the jet stream according to a UK met office expert could last into April,not cold all the time but growth will go out the window and some very cold spells are possible during this period if you understand?

My advice would be to prepare better if you are able and chaos theory being weather theory hope we escape,it is however still a real risk,specifics are not possible at this stage as computer models this far out can only point at trends
    To put this in context,it's as strong an anomaly as effected our weather last February into march but is starting earlier and lasting longer which increases the window of opportunity for example for extreme cold outbreaks and from a farming perspective potentially the worst of all worlds because there's a risk that ground temps may stay too low for growth too often at a time when people are already tightly budgeting on fodder,so maybe not a bad idea to be sourcing whatever local merchants have available within your budget if needed?

Very tempted to let the milkers back out. Lovely day here today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Grand stretch there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He doesn't have that vegan/cocaine user look about him.

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

whelan2 wrote: »

Herd of cows out round here today, never seen the likes of it. At the rate grass is growing will be hard to find place for slurry.

• Advertisement

Ah now hurry up, your a week later than the rest of us :p. The last 30 cow's milking here are going OAD from tomorrow and I'm tempted to leave them out far side of the farm considering I'll only be walking them in once a day.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Just thought I'd give ye a quick update on the possible cold weather towards the end of the month,it now looks like the stratospheric warming is downwelling into the troposphere where our weather is made,it's effect on weakening the jet stream according to a UK met office expert could last into April,not cold all the time but growth will go out the window and some very cold spells are possible during this period if you understand?

My advice would be to prepare better if you are able and chaos theory being weather theory hope we escape,it is however still a real risk,specifics are not possible at this stage as computer models this far out can only point at trends
    To put this in context,it's as strong an anomaly as effected our weather last February into march but is starting earlier and lasting longer which increases the window of opportunity for example for extreme cold outbreaks and from a farming perspective potentially the worst of all worlds because there's a risk that ground temps may stay too low for growth too often at a time when people are already tightly budgeting on fodder,so maybe not a bad idea to be sourcing whatever local merchants have available within your budget if needed?

All cows are going out here tomorw once I getting fencing tightened up, was holding off but with mt cranium after getting of the fence re the cold snap coming it’s a case of using the grass now our losing it

All cows are going out here tomorw once I getting fencing tightened up, was holding off but with mt cranium after getting of the fence re the cold snap coming it’s a case of using the grass now our losing it

If it comes as cold as suggested, is everyone here convinced we'll loose it? What we have built up outside is a vital cog in our winter budget...

Loosing it will be like loosing a pit of silage...

Brought home weanlings 2 days ago and we are strip grazing them on milking block, but to put into dry cows seems wasreful

If it comes as cold as suggested, is everyone here convinced we'll loose it? What we have built up outside is a vital cog in our winter budget...

Loosing it will be like loosing a pit of silage...

Brought home weanlings 2 days ago and we are strip grazing them on milking block, but to put into dry cows seems wasreful

In a better position than some 're silage here but will do a walk and put weanlings out first, as conditions are good will go with slurry as soon as contractor can arrive. Watch the forecast after that really. Don't think skinning the place yet is the right approach, but if silage is tight maybe it's a way of hedging your bets, I dunno

Critical decisions to be made....

Can we simplify?

Who believes we would have grass DRY MATTER loss in the event of a very cold spell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Great presentation by John Roche on marginal milk at the IGA conference.

Great presentation by John Roche on marginal milk at the IGA conference.

Is he still using his outdated research from mid 00’s his conversion ratios for a kg of meal to a litre of milk are just a tad bit bias towards the grass based mantra

Is he still using his outdated research from mid 00’s his conversion ratios for a kg of meal to a litre of milk are just a tad bit bias towards the grass based mantra

He has research from the last decade on response to meal but their focus in on predominantly grazing animals rather than the higher input in your system.

This was his centrepiece
    yMfHZ1U.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

He has research from the last decade on response to meal but their focus in on predominantly grazing animals rather than the higher input in your system.

This was his centrepiece
    yMfHZ1U.jpg
    What's on the other side of the page?

Most of their work is based off comparing diets with equal ME so not really fair comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Critical decisions to be made....

Can we simplify?

Who believes we would have grass DRY MATTER loss in the event of a very cold spell?
    That's the question .
    Never saw grass as scorched like it was in spring 10.
    I remember Michael o d in Moorpark putting a surprisingly high feed value on it.
    With silage stocks good enough here I'll take a slow/late , but dry, spring any day.
    Every mouth full will be used as opposed to last year's slopfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Anyone any experience of Q Fever?

Never heard of it, Google says it's zoonotic.

I put my milkers out today. Have an oil leak on the scrapers which seems to be underground. Drizzling a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Panch18 wrote: »

Any problems with the sawdust in the slurry after??

Never noticed. Wouldn’t be massive amounts used.

I put my milkers out today. Have an oil leak on the scrapers which seems to be underground. Drizzling a bit

Your the talk of the parish this morning I'm sure, Who does she think she is with her cows out the start of Jan, they'll all die/plough up the place etc ha

• Advertisement

Your the talk of the parish this morning I'm sure, Who does she think she is with her cows out the start of Jan, they'll all die/plough up the place etc ha

Aye, she only brought them in at the end of November and her with a wet farm. Got the oil leak sorted was handy enough in the end, pipe blew off a ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Aye, she only brought them in at the end of November and her with a wet farm. Got the oil leak sorted was handy enough in the end, pipe blew off a ram

Ya won't be that lucky again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Anyone know how much grass was grown and utilised on their farm in 2018?

Anyone go to the IGA conference?
    Is it still sponsored by Yara?

Left in my profit monitor figures to teagasc there, advisor said I'm the only one so far with 0 purchased forage figure for 2018

Anyone know how much grass was grown and utilised on their farm in 2018?

Anyone go to the IGA conference?
    Is it still sponsored by Yara?
    Iirc, 12 tonnes grown, utilised was 8.5t.

Yara still sponsoring.

And hats still free:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement