Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your scraper installation experience?
    Do we have to stay with positive numbers?:D

On the plus side, I just had lads from Cargill arrive in the yard with a refractometer I won at a calf rearing conference last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

On the plus side, I just had lads from Cargill arrive in the yard with a refractometer I won at a calf rearing conference last week.

Did you ask them why they sponsored the Lancet report?

alps wrote: »

He hadn't a clue. I didnt push it in case they changed their mind about the refractometer :pac:
    Harold Kingston is looking for more information about how Yara came to be sponsoring that report as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

alps wrote: »

Cause Cargil would literally be one of the biggest combinables traders in the world. All that soya and pulses that'd be needed to balance the vegan 12 months of summer diet

He hadn't a clue. I didnt push it in case they changed their mind about the refractometer :pac:
    Harold Kingston is looking for more information about how Yara came to be sponsoring that report as well

Good man....thatll wind it's way back on a Monday morning sales briefing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I went to a dairy sale in Kanturk today, not many buyers and lots of late calving heifers. A few calved heifers made 1400 and a comrade of them was unsold at 1150, another Monty calved on the way to the mart with a bb calf failed to go over 800 and was unsold. A lot of heifers went home again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Phone rang at 5.26 this morning. Never good. Esp on your Sunday off. Very specific power cut. Just our yard and a neighbour's house. Wind opened a gate and calves all over the yard. Could have been worse. Had to get light on the situation first. Hooked up genny. Got everything back where it should be. The extra pair of hands ie me meant the morning didn't go completely sideways. ESB had power back on by 8.30 in fairness to them. Judging by the list of places on the recorded message when I rang in to report the fault there's a good few places around Munster that won't have power before evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sunday morning fun, friesian heifer calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Was reading the farmers journal article about the positive farming conference. The main farmer profiled really was an exceptional bit of stuff. He said he aims to make 15c a litre profit from 5000 l cows. Would that be after a wade taken for himself? At 15 cent a litre, is that saying the cost of production would be around 17-20 cents? Would that be what ye guys would agree with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Was reading the farmers journal article about the positive farming conference. The main farmer profiled really was an exceptional bit of stuff. He said he aims to make 15c a litre profit from 5000 l cows. Would that be after a wade taken for himself? At 15 cent a litre, is that saying the cost of production would be around 17-20 cents? Would that be what ye guys would agree with?
    Going on profit monitors completed so far the average cost of production for 2018 was 25cent per litre leaving a margin of 12 cent a litre. Pay yourself after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Profit monitor figure ,not producing milk within an arses roar of that figure ,great read tho and great family and you’d have to tip your hat to them for all they’ve achieved

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Going on profit monitors completed so far the average cost of production for 2018 was 25cent per litre leaving a margin of 12 cent a litre. Pay yourself after that.
    And debt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

A lot tighter than I expected tbh. Would 2018 cop figures be higher-due to the drought? Would the average over the last 5 years be closer to 20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    And debt

Replacement rearing costs are probably left out to, on 2200 cows running a 20% replacement rate your talking 880 animals to carry at 500 euro a year each that’s a touch over 400k yearly our 4 cent a litre, typical journal article to be fair steering the narrative to their own agenda without giving a proper nuts and bolts break-down of the fine margins associated with carrying debt levels of 5k a cow

A lot tighter than I expected tbh. Would 2018 cop figures be higher-due to the drought? Would the average over the last 5 years be closer to 20?

With debt ,Labour etc etc it is closer to and well above 30 cent in some cases but hey that figure even tho reality won’t be reported ....

Feeding in calf heifer and cows with a dairy ration...

Is there any issue feeding in calf stock with a dairy ration on the run up to calving. I'm feeding them a 2kg of a 21% nut with cal mag included for 6kg feeding. They are getting dry cow minerals as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Replacement rearing costs are probably left out to, on 2200 cows running a 20% replacement rate your talking 880 animals to carry at 500 euro a year each that’s a touch over 400k yearly our 4 cent a litre, typical journal article to be fair steering the narrative to their own agenda without giving a proper nuts and bolts break-down of the fine margins associated with carrying debt levels of 5k a cow

Surely the cull price on 440 culls would take the sting outa rearing the replacements....

wrangler wrote: »
    Surely the cull price on 440 culls would take the sting outa rearing the replacements....

Jersey cross cull cows wouldn’t make you up to be fair given the current beef trade, and given the rapid expansion 20% was a very conservative replacement rate probably nearer 30% with tagging on more cows year on year....

• Advertisement

I went to a farmer presentation lately where the farmer only told what he wanted us to hear too, we go to these expecting to hear the facts and farmers should either do it right or don't do it........ Why blame the messenger.
    The one I was at, the second speaker could've rubbished the first but didn't,
    In your case I doubt the journal would do it either .
    Do people honestly believe we don't recognise cute hoorism

FFS, I only asked him what his stocking rate was, [magine doing a presentation and not knowing/telling your stocking rate

At the risk of restarting WWIII, here's another article on marginal milk with a slant towards emissions.
    https://nzfarmlife.co.nz/preview-focusing-on-the-margins/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

alps wrote:
    Is there any issue feeding in calf stock with a dairy ration on the run up to calving. I'm feeding them a 2kg of a 21% nut with cal mag included for 6kg feeding. They are getting dry cow minerals as well.

Waste of money and you could have big calves depending on what's on that ration. Feed 50% oats 50% barely mix with cal mag included and you won't go wrong. If you want more protein make it a 3 way mix of barley, oats soya hulls. Been doing it for years now and you have nice strong calves that the cow can pop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Waste of money and you could have big calves depending on what's on that ration. Feed 50% oats 50% barely mix with cal mag included and you won't go wrong. If you want more protein make it a 3 way mix of barley, oats soya hulls. Been doing it for years now and you have nice strong calves that the cow can pop out.

I've the few dry cows incalf to twins still running with the milkers, so on grass, maize and an 18% nut. That too much protein for them?

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've the few dry cows incalf to twins still running with the milkers, so on grass, maize and an 18% nut. That too much protein for them?

Lush grass wouldn’t be best for dry cows even carrying twins ,are they getting minerals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

At the risk of restarting WWIII, here's another article on marginal milk with a slant towards emissions.
    https://nzfarmlife.co.nz/preview-focusing-on-the-margins/

They should look at the marginal emissions associated with increasing grassland intensity. The extra production is probably on a par with cutting down the Amazon.

• Advertisement

They should look at the marginal emissions associated with increasing grassland intensity. The extra production is probably on a par with cutting down the Amazon.
    I'm sure it will be there in the future with all the scrutiny that any type of food production is under now.

UCD has a great trial starting this year, iirc, keeping track of inputs and where they end up and the role water plays in movement of fertilisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I'm sure it will be there in the future with all the scrutiny that any type of food production is under now.

UCD has a great trial starting this year, iirc, keeping track of inputs and where they end up and the role water plays in movement of fertilisers.

Saw that Chief.
    Shallow drains being monitored for N runoff, but no way of testing for N that enters the water table...?

Saw that Chief.
    Shallow drains being monitored for N runoff, but no way of testing for N that enters the water table...?
    I think there was a good bit of work done in Solohead about that.

Found some of it anyway, there's probably lots more if someone had the inclination to go looking?
    Productivity of clover-based grassland under simulated organic production and nitrate losses to ground water.

https://www.teagasc.ie/animals/dairy/research-farms/solohead/current-experiments/
    Third write up on that page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How's calving going for ye? First due date is 3 days away have 8 landed, one 3 days early the rest range from 8 to 14 days early. Calving fine but the early ones will take 2 week's to get to the size of a normal new born the devils. 6 heifers 2 bulls. Sew calves are tiny. All calves lively so far thank God. One April calver threw a calf, awaiting lab results, may of been a hurt as dosed etc but she has neospora was in calf to aa so that is most likely the cause. She's for the road now

Mooooo wrote: »
    How's calving going for ye? First due date is 3 days away have 8 landed, one 3 days early the rest range from 8 to 14 days early. Calving fine but the early ones will take 2 week's to get to the size of a normal new born the devils. 6 heifers 2 bulls. Sew calves are tiny. All calves lively so far thank God. One April calver threw a calf, awaiting lab results, may of been a hurt as dosed etc but she has neospora was in calf to aa so that is most likely the cause. She's for the road now
    Just 2 so far, like yours, small but lively. I won't start milking till Thursday and will stay on OAD for a while but there's only a few springing atm.

First due on Feb7th:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I think there was a good bit of work done in Solohead about that.

Found some of it anyway, there's probably lots more if someone had the inclination to go looking?
    Productivity of clover-based grassland under simulated organic production and nitrate losses to ground water.

https://www.teagasc.ie/animals/dairy/research-farms/solohead/current-experiments/
    Third write up on that page.

Sorry Sheriff but Mr. James Humphreys lacks credibility in my eyes, so I didn’t waste my time reading the article. Yosemitesam and l wrote plenty about his research a while back...

Mr. Humphreys already knows the results of that project iykwim.

Reminds me of experimental physics back in the day...when you already know the solution, it’s easy construct the question/problem/research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Sorry Sheriff but Mr. James Humphreys lacks credibility in my eyes, so I didn’t waste my time reading the article. Yosemitesam and l wrote plenty about his research a while back...

Mr. Humphreys already knows the results of that project iykwim.

Reminds me of experimental physics back in the day...when you already know the solution, it’s easy construct the question/problem/research.

It's more teagasc as a whole than any individual, how could we sell that to farmers is the first thought before doing anything that might upset the status quo...

I think the wells in curtins are monitored monthly but how accurate a representation that gives. Doubt anybody knows...

Any of ye tested yer own water supplies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Any of ye tested yer own water supplies?

Yes.

It's mandatory with Bord Bia.

Tested in a lab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yes.

Tested in a lab.

Glanbia will test it for you

Yes.

Tested in a lab.

The bord bia test isn't for nitrates, it's for e-coli etc which we all do I assume. In the context of the convo above with dawg and buford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Lush grass wouldn’t be best for dry cows even carrying twins ,are they getting minerals ?

I'm not sure about that MJ. Ime you can't overfeed a cow carrying twins.

The bord bia test isn't for nitrates, it's for e-coli etc which we all do I assume. In the context of the convo above with dawg and buford

Yea but I get it privately tested and for nitrates too. I get the detailed test as the house is using the water too.
    There's no point being a skinflint and do the cheap test when it's something you're drinking every day.
    Tested every year and no problems to report yet.

That report does the Bord Bia crowd when they come calling.

Yea but I get it privately tested and for nitrates too. I get the detailed test as the house is using the water too.
    There's no point being a skinflint and do the cheap test when it's something you're drinking every day.
    Tested every year and no problems to report yet.

That report does the Bord Bia crowd when they come calling.

A neighbour sold a house lately and the well had to be tested before the deal was completed, it revealed Ecoli, don't know what they did about it but the For Sale sign is still up, It's going on a while now, of course the farmers are all spreading slurry round about and you can guess what the talk is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Scour the well with chlorus a week before testing. If at risk put a UV unit in the pump house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Yes.

Tested in a lab.

Is that to do with using a private well in the plate cooler for B Bia?
    Would ye be too far to get group water off the mountains or just never bothered?

Is that to do with using a private well in the plate cooler for B Bia?
    Would ye be too far to get group water off the mountains or just never bothered?

It's if you're using it in the milking plant for the dairy part of Bord Bia.

I always had the group water but I jumped a few years ago before I was pushed by their prices on the meters.
    I still have the connection whenever there's a power cut.

Drilled in very dry weather about 5 years ago so it'll need to be apocalyptic for it to run dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Flying it. 25 calved so far, due to start date was yesterday. 35 or so fairly well sprung down aswell, they could calve at any moment they felt like it. Heifers bull ratio 50:50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It's more teagasc as a whole than any individual, how could we sell that to farmers is the first thought before doing anything that might upset the status quo...

I think the wells in curtins are monitored monthly but how accurate a representation that gives. Doubt anybody knows...

Johnstown castle test the ground water weekly too

Favourite cow just had bull no 6, 3 heifers off her in the last 3 calvings so was hoping I was on a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Why did you get a positive neospora cow incalf? Afaik a positive cow will keep aborting. I had a neospora outbreak confimed over the Xmas period. 11% aborted of what was due to calve. A real sickner. I might have put it down to grass i was zero grazing last November. Its a silage field that neighbours dogs can often be in 2 miles away from home place. Its just a considence as it was our 1st time zero grazing

degetme wrote: »
    Why did you get a positive neospora cow incalf? Afaik a positive cow will keep aborting. I had a neospora outbreak confimed over the Xmas period. 11% aborted of what was due to calve. A real sickner. I might have put it down to grass i was zero grazing last November. Its a silage field that neighbours dogs can often be in 2 miles away from home place. Its just a considence as it was our 1st time zero grazing

Have two neospora positive cows here that aborted as heifers in 15 and are now due to their fifth lactation and no abortions since 15, a dog that’s nespora positive will only be so for a short time period after initial infection from eating after-birth from infected cows then it stops spreading the virus and is immune for life....
    Wildlife like foxes are a far greater threat then the neighbors dogs in a zero-grazing scenario unless the neighbors dogs are accessing calving sheds and helping themselves, their a ticking time Bomb in that scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm getting a bit worried only 6 calved and it was my first year at ai last year, looking at the chart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Have two neospora positive cows here that aborted as heifers in 15 and are now due to their fifth lactation and no abortions since 15, a dog that’s nespora positive will only be so for a short time period after initial infection from eating after-birth from infected cows then it stops spreading the virus and is immune for life....
    Wildlife like foxes are a far greater threat then the neighbors dogs in a zero-grazing scenario unless the neighbors dogs are accessing calving sheds and helping themselves, their a ticking time Bomb in that scenario

These dogs are on a dairy farm themselves. It could well be foxs too crossing the field that was zero grazed. It might have nothing to do with the zero grazing. Its something that cant be pinned down unless the maidens and incalf heifers were tested as they had no access to the zero grazed grass.i was told they keep aborting if their antibody positive . Must check that out but they didn't spring up much and there only a nuisance then so there in a separate shed now for the factory / mart

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement