Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

degetme wrote: »
    Why did you get a positive neospora cow incalf? Afaik a positive cow will keep aborting. I had a neospora outbreak confimed over the Xmas period. 11% aborted of what was due to calve. A real sickner. I might have put it down to grass i was zero grazing last November. Its a silage field that neighbours dogs can often be in 2 miles away from home place. Its just a considence as it was our 1st time zero grazing

She had a calf since that first blood came positive. Vet recommended if keeping to use beef bulls. In hindsight better off gone but she was milking at the time and we were restricted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit worried only 6 calved and it was my first year at ai last year, looking at the chart

No panic Kev I’ve nothing either ,10 in calving shed ,lots springing ,started ai 02/05 predicted start of calving 08/02 I’ll have lots on ground well before then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Similar here, nothing due until the 7th Feb but should all kick off the next 2 or 3days. And I'm actually glad, long and sad weekend, with a death in the family so good to have it free from the madness of calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

These dogs are on a dairy farm themselves. It could well be foxs too crossing the field that was zero grazed. It might have nothing to do with the zero grazing. Its something that cant be pinned down unless the maidens and incalf heifers were tested as they had no access to the zero grazed grass.i was told they keep aborting if their antibody positive . Must check that out but they didn't spring up much and there only a nuisance then so there in a separate shed now for the factory / mart
    I'd be thinking not to be selling in the mart with this, it's not something you'd want to be passing onto someone else?

I'd be thinking not to be selling in the mart with this, it's not something you'd want to be passing onto someone else?

Once it's declared. I'll be selling this girl on to a summer finisher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Id be selling them in the cull cow ring around 4/5months post abortion. Don't worry they won't be milking. Afaik its not passable cow to cow otherwise it would be like t.b and id be locked up

Id be selling them in the cull cow ring around 4/5months post abortion. Don't worry they won't be milking. Afaik its not passable cow to cow otherwise it would be like t.b and id be locked up

No but it is transmitted through cleanings as well iirc so best not to have them calve at all as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Anyone have cows out once a day? Seriously considering it especially as I'm split calving.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Anyone have cows out once a day? Seriously considering it especially as I'm split calving.

Out fulltime since 6th jan, only come in to be milked OAD and a feed of maize afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Timmaay wrote:
    Out fulltime since 6th jan, only come in to be milked OAD and a feed of maize afterwards.

Are you getting much regrowth in those paddocks?. I want yo graze off the strongest paddocks here. Should have at least 30 days on once a day before I hit any of the weaker ones.

• Advertisement

Out by day here bar one day here with last week, heavier covers are on softer ground here so it would actually have been easier to clean em off if I had the winter herd still going, bigger number with stronger appetites would have them cleaned much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

No but it is transmitted through cleanings as well iirc so best not to have them calve at all as a precaution.

They won't be sold for breeding purposes if thats what you're referring to. All cleanings here go in to slurry tank. What do most people do with them? Fuking them out on to a straw dung heap for foxs to get at is the cause of alot of neospora. Vet told me put them into a barrel for the knackery put knackery don't want it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

They won't be sold for breeding purposes if thats what you're referring to. All cleanings here go in to slurry tank. What do most people do with them? Fuking them out on to a straw dung heap for foxs to get at is the cause of alot of neospora. Vet told me put them into a barrel for the knackery put knackery don't want it

Agitate well !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Is Cat poo a danger to cattle especially in-calf animals?

Are you getting much regrowth in those paddocks?. I want yo graze off the strongest paddocks here. Should have at least 30 days on once a day before I hit any of the weaker ones.

I haven't looked at the paddock grazed in early Jan, the one grazed last week is greening up already, the early (or was it super late lol ;) ) fertiliser definitely helping in that paddock. Even if round 2 didn't happen until mid April I'm well happy I took the opportunity to graze now while utilization is high. 40% grazed out end of feb still the aim, if I'm lucky enough to overshoot that and low March growth I'll buffer hard then.

Yeah, they shouldn't be sold for breeding.

Most cows would sort out their own cleanings, especially in single calving pens but I've seen a few cows in group pens eat other cows cleanings so it's fairly simple to pass on that way. Or not cleaning out pens before another cow calves there, there would still be some neospora sticking around on the straw.

I'm not sure if throwing it into the slurry tank would be ideal either, you're just spreading the cleanings onto your silage ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Yeah, they shouldn't be sold for breeding.

Most cows would sort out their own cleanings, especially in single calving pens but I've seen a few cows in group pens eat other cows cleanings so it's fairly simple to pass on that way. Or not cleaning out pens before another cow calves there, there would still be some neospora sticking around on the straw.

I'm not sure if throwing it into the slurry tank would be ideal either, you're just spreading the cleanings onto your silage ground?

Did you get your scrapers going yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

This is the regrowth yesterday on paddocks here grazed bare in late December
    Autumn herd out continuously bar a few days
    There's some frost burn having had a few nights lately down to -2c

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Yep, 30 cows calved here, out during the day, our farm wouldn't be dry either so delighted to get them out this time of year.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you get your scrapers going yet?
    Yeah, finally got them working yesterday at 12. In fairness to the lads, they were delayed a lot with the job before mine where everything turned awkward and the farmer wanted everything finished, even stuff he wouldn't need for a good while yet.

There's a big saving in straw now and that half hour to get and spread the straw is gone as well, just before the calving really starts.

And I reckon doing any building on anything other than a greenfield site is madness:D

When's your job starting?

• Advertisement

Yeah, finally got them working yesterday at 12. In fairness to the lads, they were delayed a lot with the job before mine where everything turned awkward and the farmer wanted everything finished, even stuff he wouldn't need for a good while yet.

There's a big saving in straw now and that half hour to get and spread the straw is gone as well, just before the calving really starts.

And I reckon doing any building on anything other than a greenfield site is madness:D

When's your job starting?

Hopefully March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I got a roller door put up today on the milking parlour where the cows come in from the holding pen.

It's nothing major compared to what some fancy gadgets are being put in parlours.
    But on a day like today when it's closed.
    The parlour has been transformed.

I got a roller door put up today on the milking parlour where the cows come in from the holding pen.

It's nothing major compared to what some fancy gadgets are being put in parlours.

Photos? I could do with finishing off the front of my parlour, it's only been what, 3 or 4yrs since I build it haha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Photos? I could do with finishing off the front of my parlour, it's only been what, 3 or 4yrs since I build it haha.

I'll take some tomorrow but it was a fella down your direction put it up.

First set of twins just landed, heifers out of a cow, hopefully that's all the twins there are. 9 heifer calves out of 12 on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

But... how do the cows get into the parlour if you have a roller door there! You hardly open and close it between rows?

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    But... how do the cows get into the parlour if you have a roller door there! You hardly open and close it between rows?

There's a nose button where the cows can...

Ah no it's just to weatherproof the house when the cows are not in the holding pen.
    Keep out frost, snow if we get it, birds and pigeons, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Has anyone a way of stopping the milky washings from building up under the milk tank?
    Despite my best efforts of washing down the dairy after every milking i still get a build up of scummy milk under the tank.
    Would throwing a bucket of hot water with some detergent on the floor once a day help?

Has anyone a way of stopping the milky washings from building up under the milk tank?
    Despite my best efforts of washing down the dairy after every milking i still get a build up of scummy milk under the tank.
    Would throwing a bucket of hot water with some detergent on the floor once a day help?

Have you any of stopping the wash water from going under the tank in the first place?

Would a bit of stainless steel piping from where the water comes out of the pipe onto the floor to the drain help?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »

Pics.

It's a little over 19ft between walls on that and 7ft to the sheeting outside but it goes a few feet higher inside in case of future developments.
    €1700 + vat.

Feed trailers, I see some large enough 20ft long 6 ft wide ones on donedeal for reasonable money, how many cows can that feed at a time? Any issues with bringing them across wet ground when fairly full? Or am I better off going smaller? I'd be using them to buffer feed on the slats during the summer also because I'm limited on feed space for milkers. Anyone feed hulls/nuts in them also?

Have you any of stopping the wash water from going under the tank in the first place?

Would a bit of stainless steel piping from where the water comes out of the pipe onto the floor to the drain help?

Yes, I've a bottom fill tank, when I open the connection between the tank and non return valve the milk that is in there spews out. I connect the pipe up to the wash line when then first rinse of the machine is done.
    I even have a sewer pipe running under the tank to the drain behind the tank to so minimal rinseings go under the tank but I'm going to have the issue no matter what I do with the pipe after milking due to the milk still in the.connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Yes, I've a bottom fill tank, when I open the connection between the tank and non return valve the milk that is in there spews out. I connect the pipe up to the wash line when then first rinse of the machine is done.
    I even have a sewer pipe running under the tank to the drain behind the tank to so minimal rinseings go under the tank but I'm going to have the issue no matter what I do with the pipe after milking due to the milk still in the.connection[/QUOT

make a tray out of a 20 l drum . dont cut it across fully .leave the handle and some of the whole drum in place for stability.
    slide it in under connection and non return and it will take the contents without any mess .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

It's more teagasc as a whole than any individual, how could we sell that to farmers is the first thought before doing anything that might upset the status quo...

I think the wells in curtins are monitored monthly but how accurate a representation that gives. Doubt anybody knows...

Teagasc have been a very positive resource for Irish farmers, especially the Greenfield experiment imho.
    However the goalposts have moved somewhat from traditional thinking (spread a bag!) as regards nitrates/emissions/ biodiversity etc etc, and Teagasc are resolutely sticking to their outdated narrative. That is a huge disservice to Irish agriculture and the sooner that some new blood is drafted into the organisation the better. Humphreys & Co need the boot asap...the fact that he publicly endorsed a narrative that totally contradicted his own research says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

After milking let rinse and detergent water into a 200l barrel. Tip that over after each milking. That will keep your floor fushed clean.

• Advertisement

The dogs lick it up here. They hear the handle being done to blow the line out and are over fairly smart. Then power hose whatever is left at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Pics.

It's a little over 19ft between walls on that and 7ft to the sheeting outside but it goes a few feet higher inside in case of future developments.
    €1700 + vat.

A friend of mind has one on his garage has him broke up won't open then might not close is there any thing else u could have used
    I'm extending my parlour this year so will no looking for something myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

you could get the dual fill point added to the bottom fill, no changing pipes at all, get extra piping so washing goes down outlet pipe for dairy.

A friend of mind has one on his garage has him broke up won't open then might not close is there any thing else u could have used
    I'm extending my parlour this year so will no looking for something myself

I presume your friends door has gotten bent or there's something wrong with the motor?
    There's an electric motor on mine so the most I'll be doing is pressing a button.
    Now if it was a manual one I could see how someone could get broken up.

That door won't be down when there's cows in the holding pen although I am considering a vertical sliding gate on the outside now to protect that door when down and then I could have a few animals in that pen for the crush at the same time.

Alternatives would be sheeted horizontal hinged doors and there was no room for them there tbh and they wouldn't "look the part".
    Roller doors are being used everywhere and I can't see a problem myself with them if they are looked after properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I presume your friends door has gotten bent or there's something wrong with the motor?
    There's an electric motor on mine so the most I'll be doing is pressing a button.
    Now if it was a manual one I could see how someone could get broken up.

That door won't be down when there's cows in the holding pen although I am considering a vertical sliding gate on the outside now to protect that door when down and then I could have a few animals in that pen for the crush at the same time.

Alternatives would be sheeted horizontal hinged doors and there was no room for them there tbh and they wouldn't "look the part".
    Roller doors are being used everywhere and I can't see a problem myself with them if they are looked after properly.

If you drive into th'ould swinging door, you can give it a few belts of a lump hammer, that don't work with the roller.
    They're a lovely job and you can let them down high enough for walking into the shed and that even blocks a lot of the weather in a big shed, very safe too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Teagasc have been a very positive resource for Irish farmers, especially the Greenfield experiment imho.
    However the goalposts have moved somewhat from traditional thinking (spread a bag!) as regards nitrates/emissions/ biodiversity etc etc, and Teagasc are resolutely sticking to their outdated narrative. That is a huge disservice to Irish agriculture and the sooner that some new blood is drafted into the organisation the better. Humphreys & Co need the boot asap...the fact that he publicly endorsed a narrative that totally contradicted his own research says it all really.

Dafm could probably do with a good shake up too...

Are French ag students any good for a bit of hard work/hardship? Got an email about taking on one.

Are French ag students any good for a bit of hard work/hardship? Got an email about taking on one.
    A neighbour gets one every year for a few months, he can do a lot of work while she's around and gets away for holidays as well and off for matches.

He's very happy with them, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

you could get the dual fill point added to the bottom fill, no changing pipes at all, get extra piping so washing goes down outlet pipe for dairy.
    Could you explain the dual fill, haven't heard about it. How do you swap from tank to wash and avoid any mistakes?

After milking let rinse and detergent water into a 200l barrel. Tip that over after each milking. That will keep your floor fushed clean.

Auto washer here. Would defeat the purpose of having it

Don't start me on that dual fill point!
    We ordered one with the tank and the extra 500€ was charged for it but it never arrived. Had to get the money refunded in the end because they never sent it out. It would have made a right job if it

Don't start me on that dual fill point!
    We ordered one with the tank and the extra 500€ was charged for it but it never arrived. Had to get the money refunded in the end because they never sent it out. It would have made a right job if it
    What make of tank is it?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What make of tank is it?
    Packo. Good tank. Here 4 years in may and no msjor issues

Mother and two daughters calved within 2 days of each other, mother had a bull but the daughters had heifers so will be interesting to see if they can all keep together now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Try getting one from a mixed farm.
    In my experience the ones from specialised farms are more used to very specific work hours and a 35hr week.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Mooooo wrote: »
    Mother and two daughters calved within 2 days of each other, mother had a bull but the daughters had heifers so will be interesting to see if they can all keep together now.

Now you'll see what influence bulls have on fertility. Assuming different bulls were used on the heifers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement