Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Lely astronaut 4, 2016 for sale.
    All options;
    Weigh scales.
    Scc analysis.
    Bf and Pr analysis.
    Rumination analysis.
    Heat monitor.

Steam flush cluster system.
    69 collars.
    Two auger feed system with a facility for liquid feed/supplementation.
    Drafting system included.
    Power surge control.

For more photos and details please pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You talked to Tim Gibson, chap from the UK who buys and sells 2nd hand robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

For more photos and details please pm.

some nice looking cows. fairplay.

Timmaay wrote: »
    You talked to Tim Gibson, chap from the UK who buys and sells 2nd hand robots.

Don’t know him.
    Would you have contact details Tim?
    Thanks.

Spoke to him there now. Thanks Tim.

cosatron wrote: »
    some nice looking cows. fairplay.

Not mine Cosatron.
    The farm is sold. Vacant possession mid Feb.
    Bought the pick of the herd alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Does 96 hrs post calving milk withdrawal on cepravin DC tubes mean 8 milking, or would 4-5 milking be ok if cow was at least 96 hrs calves.... ??
    I’ve snap tests ordered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Anyone have a preference for a chin ball harness type? A few different ones online from 30 to 200. Paint seems like a mad price from 50/60 L. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Snowfire wrote: »
    Does 96 hrs post calving milk withdrawal on cepravin DC tubes mean 8 milking, or would 4-5 milking be ok if cow was at least 96 hrs calves.... ??
    I’ve snap tests ordered
    Hearing a few problems with cepravin, send a sample with the milkman if in doubt until you get the tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wouldn't chance anything with cepravin. I'm sure it says 96 hrs or 8 milking if twice a day milking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Mike brady loves talking about highly profitable dairy farmers. He even has an anachronym for it. HPDF. I've yet to meet one myself. Surely they must be on 80 to 100 euro per hour worked to be highly profitable on top of a land and facilities charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    Mike brady loves talking about highly profitable dairy farmers. He even has an anachronym for it. HPDF. I've yet to meet one myself. Surely they must be on 80 to 100 euro per hour worked to be highly profitable on top of a land and facilities charge.

Love that " land and facilities" charge

alps wrote: »
    Love that " land and facilities" charge

What other business gives them for free. Over 500k invested in facilities here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Who's Mike Brady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What other business gives them for free. Over 500k invested in facilities here

In what way do business' charge for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I’ll be honest himself and that down to earth john lad had me and many others bambozeled for last few weeks with conference season

In what way do business' charge for them?

Through setting the price of their products/ service to cover the inputs and pay themselves a fair wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I’ll be honest himself and that down to earth john lad had me and many others bambozeled for last few weeks with conference season

Its hard to phantom the 2500 ha profit figure on all ha farmed Brady does go on about his clients achieve, that would leave profits per ha on the milking block up around 3500 plus ha, it’s fantasy island stuff

mf240 wrote: »
    Who's Mike Brady

He's a clown that has a farm advisory business called the brady group and he gets paid for an opinion piece in the farming independent. I think he resides on a different planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

mahoney_j wrote: »

I’ll be honest himself and that down to earth john lad had me and many others bambozeled for last few weeks with conference season[/quote]

Not an ordinary gob****e if he had you confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

mf240 wrote: »
    Who's Mike Brady

He's a clown that has a farm advisory business called the brady group and he gets paid for an opinion piece in the farming independent. I think he resides on a different planet.

Not fair to call him a clown. Every industry and even every office has a consultant to talk waffle. I'm sure he's making a fine living from it so if you look at it that way he's far from a clown.
    The more ****e you talk the better you get on, simples

Through setting the price of their products/ service to cover the inputs and pay themselves a fair wage.

Farmers never set the price of their products though and has nothing to do with a made up 'charge'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

the most profitible dairy lads are the lads that get most milk at lower costs,spend wisely and appropiately, minds the land and has good stockman skills.and shuts up about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

K.G. wrote: »
    the most profitible dairy lads are the lads that get most milk at lower costs,spend wisely and appropiately, minds the land and has good stockman skills.and shuts up about it

Very true especially the last part imo

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Finally get to the scratcher for a little while. #nightcalvings...

Farmers never set the price of their products though and has nothing to do with a made up 'charge'

Exactly. Pricetakers. Farmers are left with whatever is left over at the end. My point was that dairy farming is not highly profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Seen a heading the other day on the independent with one man system milking 220 cows, inappropriate heading as the man had part time labour. No other mention of labour, contractors etc. He was even doing a diploma also while finished at 6 pm. Some of these headlines really belittle farmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Seen a heading the other day on the independent with one man system milking 220 cows, inappropriate heading as the man had part time labour. No other mention of labour, contractors etc. He was even doing a diploma also while finished at 6 pm. Some of these headlines really belittle farmers

Yea, that one annoyed me. One man show, but had part time in, was it 2 or 3 days a week. Then he had relief milkers as well.
    From what I gathered there was help on the farm at least 4 1/2 days a week.
    On top of that there were 3 teenage daughters as well, I'm sure at least one of them gave a helping hand at the weekends during calving.
    Joke of an article.

dar31 wrote: »
    Yea, that one annoyed me. One man show, but had part time in, was it 2 or 3 days a week. Then he had relief milkers as well.
    From what I gathered there was help on the farm at least 4 1/2 days a week.
    On top of that there were 3 teenage daughters as well, I'm sure at least one of them gave a helping hand at the weekends during calving.
    Joke of an article.

Glad I didn't read that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Exactly. Pricetakers. Farmers are left with whatever is left over at the end. My point was that dairy farming is not highly profitable.

If there are very little capital investment repayments, a dairy farm can be very profitable. A neighbour who i do about 20 milkings a years for is milking 110 cows since he took over from his father 15 years ago. Housing and 12 unit milking were in place. He doesn'trent any land and has 53 hectares in the farm block and 9 hectares 2 miles away.

Hes spent money on a new bulk tank, extending the parlour to 16 unit, converting a loose shed to cubicles, 15 loads of concrete on cleaning up dirty yards and a new claves house with auto calf feeder. Thats his only investmentin his 15 years and done on cashflow to reduce tax bill.

Hes been very honest with me when i would be asking him about going back into dairy. On a 5 year average he saidhe has cattle and 70k + profit . A guy that works for the county council, milks for him 3 mornings a week at that.

Before anyone looses the plot with me, i know this is the exception rather than the rule.

kevthegaff wrote: »

The contractor thing is something that is hard to get a handle on, you’ll see this quoted that all machinery work bar feeding is contracted out in these stories, but then you look at contractor costs in their pm and it’s ridiculously low, all slurry/mowing/fert spreading was been contracted out but have upgraded all the machinery to do it all in-house for 18
    If I hadn’t I’d be looking at an extra 20k of a bill/extra two cent a litre on 18’s contracting bill, which already came to 3 cent a litre for 18, but these lads will have costs under two cent a litre published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The contractor thing is something that is hard to get a handle on, you’ll see this quoted that all machinery work bar feeding is contracted out in these stories, but then you look at contractor costs in their pm and it’s ridiculously low, all slurry/mowing/fert spreading was been contracted out but have upgraded all the machinery to do it all in-house for 18
    If I hadn’t I’d be looking at an extra 20k of a bill/extra two cent a litre on 18’s contracting bill, which already came to 3 cent a litre for 18, but these lads will have costs under two cent a litre published

that sounds like your not putting a value on your time

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

Theirs one thing I've learned about group meetings, pm and alot of media.
    Believe half of what you hear and quarter of what you see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Should of called it the brady bunch. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just had the vet out to put down a calf. Her back legs were all messed up, probably Schmallenberg the vet said. First AI heifer as well. Balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

kevthegaff wrote:

Yea I love the heading of the article and then just before it finishes... He farms with his wife and 3 daughter's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

The profit monitors have turned into a joke in our discussion group anyway, the lies are unreal. Honesty has gone out the window.
    They are only fooling themselves anyway.
    There are a lot of exceptions and a lot of things which are not comparing like with like.
    1 man - his 2 sons are large contractors, the man has unbelievably low contractor costs and machinery costs
    another man is milking a 50 cow herd and does a lot of baling - his PM isn't reflecting it.
    At the end of the day your profit monitor can look as well as u want it to but its yourself your fooling.
    ourselves 102 cow herd - spring calving, high input (1.7 tonne meal 2018), highly stocked 3.1 cow/ha on the milking block - 2265 / ha profit before tax on all owned land, 33 milking block 8 outfarm. Rent ground for silage exclusively . Including outright purchase of new jeep in 2018 24k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

that sounds like your not putting a value on your time

Have you someone employed fulltime along with your self to run all this machinery?
    We used to do all our own work, do less than half it now and over double the cows. Don't have the time nor the interest. Biggest waste of money imo.
    We did alot of building work here last year and stock got neglected as a result, reminded me of the time we used to be at all our silage and do silage for lads.
    You add up your repayments for the new machines, your time, diesel, repairs etc.
    You'll be at alot more than 20k for the year

• Advertisement

Have you someone employed fulltime along with your self to run all this machinery?
    We used to do all our own work, do less than half it now and over double the cows. Don't have the time nor the interest. Biggest waste of money imo.
    We did alot of building work here last year and stock got neglected as a result, reminded me of the time we used to be at all our silage and do silage for lads.
    You add up your repayments for the new machines, your time, diesel, repairs etc.

If you have scope for more cows then thats the way but if you don't what can you do instead?

If there are very little capital investment repayments, a dairy farm can be very profitable. A neighbour who i do about 20 milkings a years for is milking 110 cows since he took over from his father 15 years ago. Housing and 12 unit milking were in place. He doesn'trent any land and has 53 hectares in the farm block and 9 hectares 2 miles away.

Hes spent money on a new bulk tank, extending the parlour to 16 unit, converting a loose shed to cubicles, 15 loads of concrete on cleaning up dirty yards and a new claves house with auto calf feeder. Thats his only investmentin his 15 years and done on cashflow to reduce tax bill.

Hes been very honest with me when i would be asking him about going back into dairy. On a 5 year average he saidhe has cattle and 70k + profit . A guy that works for the county council, milks for him 3 mornings a week at that.

Before anyone looses the plot with me, i know this is the exception rather than the rule.

Hardly highly profitable. I've earned not for off that in a 39 hour week. The guy that works in the council and milks his cows 3 mornings a week is probably earning as much as him when you take pension, etc into account. It doesn't matter if there's payments to be made for investment. The investment and the assets are still in place and his father paid for them if he didn't himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

If you have scope for more does then thats the way but if you don't what can you do instead?

Stick to what your at. We milked 60 cows for a long time I'd have no issue staying at that but we bought land and there wouldn't be a living for 2 of us from 60 cows along with pay for that. I've friends who are milking around that number, very few loans, one tractor well set up yard and all land owned making a nice living out of it and has alot more free time than me any way

Stick to what your at. We milked 60 cows for a long time I'd have no issue staying at that but we bought land and there wouldn't be a living for 2 of us from 60 cows along with pay for that. I've friends who are milking around that number, very few loans, one tractor well set up yard and all land owned making a nice living out of it and has alot more free time than me any way

That's the main point. When is it too much work. Too late to realise when kids have grown up. 6pm is shut down here. Unless there's calving or an emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hardly highly profitable. I've earned not for off that in a 39 hour week. The guy that works in the council and milks his cows 3 mornings a week is probably earning as much as him when you take pension, etc into account. It doesn't matter if there's payments to be made for investment. The investment and the assets are still in place and his father paid for them if he didn't himself.

Public service ????? :D
    That's why I keep stressing that there's huge opprtunities out there for young people and not to be stuck into the rut of farming

Yep, 60 - 70 cows here, making a living and get to spend some time with young family. I get annoyed with how people are pushing more cows and more work down people's throat and i worry for people over stretching themselves for nothing extra at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Yep, 60 - 70 cows here, making a living and get to spend some time with young family. I get annoyed with how people are pushing more cows and more work down people's throat and i worry for people over stretching themselves for nothing extra at the end of the day.

WOW, I thought you meant you had a 39hr week job, very good, I've a friend at something similar, lovely lifestyle, wife not working, and has bought land but can't expand the milking block.....not that he'd want to

wrangler wrote: »
    Public service ????? :D
    That's why I keep stressing that there's huge opprtunities out there for young people and not to be stuck into the rut of farming

Hi tech industry. Working off farm opens your eyes to what a weeks work is. Farming now because that's what I'm happy at. I don't get the same hourly rate though.

Hi tech industry. Working off farm opens your eyes to what a weeks work is. Farming now because that's what I'm happy at. I don't get the same hourly rate though.

Agreed, even having the OH working revealed the waste of time farming is, no family here so no pressure, had it been different I would've had to get out of farming. Last twenty years have been good but the previous twenty were a bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

jaymla627 wrote: »

Just looking at my 2018 pm, contracting comes in at 17k, or 2.85c/l. That's all silage, slurry, maize and dung. 2.50c is a realistic target, as we increase output to dilute many of these costs.

Big problem in this area here is contractors are running self-propelled and balers but haven’t the mowing power to cover all their ground our labour to have both outfits out at full tilt , so once the June push comes you’ll be waiting up to a week to get ground mowed, absolutely screws up your rotation if excess paddocks need to come out and silage quality, zero issues now as contractor is rang 3 days before planned cutting day and if he comes back with I can’t get to you that day, no bother I’ll ring another lad and he suddenly accommodates me no hassle....
    On the cost side only one tractor is ran here, makes a lot more sense to trade up every 3-4 years and have a touchwood reliable machine then running a older yoke that could become a money pit very quickly if it starts to need a lot of repairs, and of course if your contracting out all your work bar feeding it’s very hard to Justify upgrading a tractor....
    I love the machinery side of farming too so don’t mind the extra work

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement