Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Another question now, how many skylights per bay ? Full or half ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    For me, one in each bay and full all the way. You can't have enough natural light in a shed, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just be sure to have a cage under them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have you any sheeting on the sides, last few shed here I put the skylights on the side, same effect and safer, also the birds don't pick them

wrangler wrote: »
    Have you any sheeting on the sides, last few shed here I put the skylights on the side, same effect and safer, also the birds don't pick them
    yes I will have some skylights on the side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

yes I will have some skylights on the side

Punched sheeting lets in a lot of light too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I used easy fix interlocking mats also put on brisket pipe ,supplied by Condon’s ,used no clear lights in roof all space sheeting great job lots of light and no water dripping in wet days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I used easy fix interlocking mats also put on brisket pipe ,supplied by Condon’s ,used no clear lights in roof all space sheeting great job lots of light and no water dripping in wet days

Do you have many beds with dung on them in the morning?
    I have my neck rail too far forward - did that to get cows up into them, but every bed is dirty. I really should pull them back soon to find out if I need a brisket board or not for next year but not enough hours in the day atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Do you have many beds with dung on them in the morning?
    I have my neck rail too far forward - did that to get cows up into them, but every bed is dirty. I really should pull them back soon to find out if I need a brisket board or not for next year but not enough hours in the day atm

Use the black drainage pipe here for a brisket board with homemade brackets to keep it in place, works perfectly and costs a tenth of the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

RedPeppers wrote: »
    After fitting out new shed with Easyfix interlocking mats happy with them.

No mats and cows seem happy out, just lime once a day or every other day depending on how dirty the cubicles get.

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Use the black drainage pipe here for a brisket board with homemade brackets to keep it in place, works perfectly and costs a tenth of the price

The lad we bought the cubicles off said to express nail a 6x4 timber up at the top of the mat. I think that would be quite hard on the knees

The lad we bought the cubicles off said to express nail a 6x4 timber up at the top of the mat. I think that would be quite hard on the knees

Be a butcher of a job alright, the pipe works perfect and is very duarable, think it’s 4 inch and we got a length of 4.5 inch steel pipe to use for brackets with a plate welded toitbwith two holes drilled out for ragging it in, basically a copycat of the Teemore brisket board

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    No mats and cows seem happy out, just lime once a day or every other day depending on how dirty the cubicles get.

We started off like that too for a few years until we could afford mats. We put the mats in the least popular cubicles and they were always the first taken once the mats went in. It makes a huge difference in comfort. We don't milk much with cows indoors but I reckon it makes a bit of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I think this was asked before, what cubicle mats are ye using? Single, interlocking or roll of mat.

Interlocking went in here last year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

+1 for krailberg interlocking.i find cubicle s facing each other are dirtyier than against a wall

Sorry for all the questions, where do ye store your lime and saw dust? Thinking of a little store in the new building

K.G. wrote: »
    +1 for krailberg interlocking.i find cubicle s facing each other are dirtyier than against a wall
    Would your brisket board need to be moved down a few inches, 2 or 3 inches should get them lying further back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Today is our official start of calving. 25% calved to date. Cows really kicking off in earnest today. 12 since morning and they’re queuing up. Giddy up.

Straight out to grass is a great saver on time every morning and evening. 11 weeks till it’s over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm still on OAD here, 10 cows calved here so far, who are giving up to 25l/day (athlo most more like 20), I have to say its a massive labour saving staying OAD, and particularly suits me at the min while I'm busy enough the evenings with off farm stuff, how long can I get away with this before it will hit the yields badly ha?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm still on OAD here, 10 cows calved here so far, who are giving up to 25l/day (athlo most more like 20), I have to say its a massive labour saving staying OAD, and particularly suits me at the min while I'm busy enough the evenings with off farm stuff, how long can I get away with this before it will hit the yields badly ha?
    What's the cell count like?

What's the cell count like?

Not great I won't lie, 250ish whereas would normally be 150, however still only 23 in total milking so one cow could be doing most the damage there.

31st was psc, at 30% roughly, seem to be coming in starts, none some days and others then with 8 , 5 etc. 5 more today seem to drop faster this year I think got caught out with one on the cubicles today. Milk going this week, will sync the heifers this year i think. An oversized tank and heifers stretched out delays the first collection

Mooooo wrote: »
    31st was psc, at 30% roughly, seem to be coming in starts, none some days and others then with 8 , 5 etc. 5 more today seem to drop faster this year I think got caught out with one on the cubicles today. Milk going this week, will sync the heifers this year i think. An oversized tank and heifers stretched out delays the first collection

Definitely synchronise them, we've 5/40 heifers left to calve here. They have a nice length now to get themselves right for breeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

Sorry for all the questions, where do ye store your lime and saw dust? Thinking of a little store in the new building

I have a mini lime spreader & lime bags stored within the shed on a cublice right beside a wall. Have ply sheeting bolted on one side & park a 135 in front of the cublice. Works for me as the 135 cleans dung onto the slats. In time planning to buy a skidsteer & Lime/sawdust spreader so will have to build a storage area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Muddy76

I keep my lime in one of those JFC meal bins with the yellow lid.it holds 1 ton of the agrical lime.I leave it outside the door of the shed

Have it in a calf house until mid Feb, then usually lob it outside in a panic to get the shed ready for calves, with whatever sort of 4ft square sheet of timber or tin I can grab my hands barely covering the top from rain, and that does the job well enough not to bother going to any effort to make a little shed etc for it I'm not gonna lie ha.

Get tonne bags here and leave them in a corner of the calf shed next to cubicle house. Have a big scoop for filling the bucket then. I guess Whelan as your at it it would be no harm to throw up some sort of store for such things, altho it's the making sure it doesn't get filled with ****e that should be thrown out is another thing lol. Also roller or sliding doors big or small as swinging doors can be a right hazard.

Second jersey landed and another heifer so going well that way. She's actually big enough, the mother is out of Canadian bull I think, cgh who was easy calving himself iirc. Running at 72% heifers at the minute.

Good to see a bit of value can be got with mixed rations again, 240 euro for a custom made up mix of 35% soya hulls/30% crimped maize/15%soya/10%barley/10%peas delivered and blown into bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

jaymla627 wrote: »

Used a 4x2 here. About 6 inches down. Used express nails too. Their so easy. Great job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Buy a scrapped van. It’s a shed on wheels.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Buy a scrapped van. It’s a shed on wheels.

No need to buy one here.... Good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No need to buy one here.... Good idea

Old chest freezers handy too

Ordered a load of dairy nuts on Friday to go in my meal bin. They put a load of coarse in. Now my augers wouldn't be too healthy. I emphasised nuts when ordering as I had gotten a load of coarse tipped previously. Is it much of a job for them to take it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ordered a load of dairy nuts on Friday to go in my meal bin. They put a load of coarse in. Now my augers wouldn't be too healthy. I emphasised nuts when ordering as I had gotten a load of coarse tipped previously. Is it much of a job for them to take it back?

No problem only a phone call.

• Advertisement

One here for Dawg, testing groundwater for P losses by a PhD student.
    https://twitter.com/FresneMaelle/status/1093217296112406528?s=19

It’s a start I suppose...
    When will they test to a depth?
    Tested to 90cm here and planning to go to 120cm for both N & P.

I remember 2yrs ago I was getting a ton bag of hulls from the local coop, new young lad working there, he forgot to check the hopper was empty before filling the bag. Half a ton of some other nut drops into the bag. 15mins waiting around to empty it and actually fill it properly, I eventually go in to pay for it, lad behind the counter says like that will be 300e/ton, I'm like what, hulls only 180 usually. Turned out they thought I wanted soyabean meal haha. I decided after that whole experience that I was absolutely wasting my time collecting ton bags and instead just get it delivered.

It’s a start I suppose...
    When will they test to a depth?
    Tested to 90cm here and planning to go to 120cm for both N & P.

There's a bit more on her Twitter account iirc but it early yet for results. Should be interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

First milk collection scc was 891 by the milkedin app that i downloaded to my phone. No text with results sent to my phone. Spent alot of time going through the cows trying to figure it out. Got in milk recorder this evening to record the herd. Not too long after finishing i got another message from the app daying the scc was 56. Any ideas how this could have happen? I will get onto the creamery manager tomorrow.

There's a bit more on her Twitter account iirc but it early yet for results. Should be interesting though.

I’d honestly prefer if all testing was conducted by independent companies as it is here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

First milk collection scc was 891 by the milkedin app that i downloaded to my phone. No text with results sent to my phone. Spent alot of time going through the cows trying to figure it out. Got in milk recorder this evening to record the herd. Not too long after finishing i got another message from the app daying the scc was 56. Any ideas how this could have happen? I will get onto the creamery manager tomorrow.

Fresh cows... Cow can calve with a million scc and quickly become 50 in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Fresh cows... Cow can calve with a million scc and quickly become 50 in a couple of days.

Same test. 2 different results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Can I ask the dairy farmers on here a question - last night on the Claire Byrne Show, they talked about Brexit. A dairy farmer from Wexford said he'd be impacted badly as he sent his milk to Strathroy dairies in Tyrone where the milk was processed, with some probably coming back South for sale to consumers here.

How is it possible that milk is being trucked from Wexford to Tyrone? How can that be economical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

jay0109 wrote: »
    Can I ask the dairy farmers on here a question - last night on the Claire Byrne Show, they talked about Brexit. A dairy farmer from Wexford said he'd be impacted badly as he sent his milk to Strathroy dairies in Tyrone where the milk was processed, with some probably coming back South for sale to consumers here.

How is it possible that milk is being trucked from Wexford to Tyrone? How can that be economical?

Would show ya what margins Glanbia have trucking it nearby, Glanbia factory only 14 miles from here

jay0109 wrote: »

Interesting point, what's in a lorry, 25000l?, let's call it 9grand worth of milk (well to the farmer ha, I'd say its a lot more valuable to the processor!), how much is haulage from wexford to Tyrone, against say Wexford to Bellview for Glanbia?, I'd assume it will be several 100 in the difference in haulage, or let's call it 3 to 5% the value of the milk? Strathroy are happy however to come in and offer a guaranteed 0.55c/l over the glanbia base price, so it shows there is definitely reasonable profit in processing milk, even after the extra haulage and extra over the glanbia base.

simx wrote: »
    Would show ya what margins Glanbia have trucking it nearby, Glanbia factory only 14 miles from here

I know when that farmer was with Glanbia, the milk used to go to Ballyragget, closer, but still was probably nearly 60 miles.

The expensive part is collecting from the farmers, distances between the farms, waiting to fill the lorry and small roads.
    If they can get a few larger dairy farms close together, you would be in strathroy's yard in a little over 3 hours from North County Wexford.

Glanbia plant 8 miles from here and our milk goes to lough egish for uht over an hour away.

StrathRoy pay a better price than Glanbia too

Dirty cows/heifers, what do you do with them?
    Leave them if not too bad?
    Wash them out yourself? If so what do you use.
    Or go in with something like metricure.

We usually don't get many but have one bad one here who is smelling pretty foul so I'll get the vet to look at her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Dirty cows/heifers, what do you do with them?
    Leave them if not too bad?
    Wash them out yourself? If so what do you use.
    Or go in with something like metricure.

We usually don't get many but have one bad one here who is smelling pretty foul so I'll get the vet to look at her

Wash out after 7/10 days never just leave them as can lead to bigger problem down road

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement