Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

visatorro wrote: »
    How do I calculate my milk solids?

Dairy farmer 101 I'd imagine but I'm a bit slow!

Yield multiplied by 1.03 gives you your kgs of milk
    I stick it into the calculator like this then
    26.7 x (3.60 + 4.38) hit equals and itll throw out 213.066.
    Move the decimal point ond your kgs if ms is 2.13

Theres other ways to do it but that's how I do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Nothing to be writing home about really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If your glanbia they give you total solids per collection, so just divide by number of days and cows to get it. 1.91 here, your officially not allowed to willy wave unless it's over 2kg ha, But I'm happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

I reckon most herds should be capable of 500kg Ms....any breed...that needs to be 2.27 peak...

In the new environmental world, this is going to be imperative..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »

Nothing to be writing home about really!

Are your cows out full time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »
    I reckon most herds should be capable of 500kg Ms....any breed...that needs to be 2.27 peak...

In the new environmental world, this is going to be imperative..

Snap 500 should be minimum target a lot of the mantra now from tegasc etc is 500 kg cow eating 500 kg concentrate doing 500 kgms

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are your cows out full time?

Yeah

Gables are North/South
    Vent at apex. Yorkshire on east/west sides. Lit smoke bomb yesterday and all travelled through apex despite wind outside. Each of the four pens have access to and outdoor area via sliding doors

I'm sure it's been asked before, but where can the smoke bombs be bought. Did someone mention Enniscorthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Sorry lads to pull off topic but just looking for a bit of input from dairy farmers here. I know a man looking for freshly calved 2nd or 3rd calvers, maybe 7 or 8. Where do ye think is the best place to go looking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

J DEERE wrote: »
    Sorry lads to pull off topic but just looking for a bit of input from dairy farmers here. I know a man looking for freshly calved 2nd or 3rd calvers, maybe 7 or 8. Where do ye think is the best place to go looking?

Local dairy sales in mart or done deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

J DEERE wrote: »

https://taaffeauctions.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Love this time of year and this weather. All milking, feeding and jobs done. Day of kids activities till 3.30.

Weather compares to this time last year worlds apart

tanko wrote: »
    €375 for 18-6-12 here for small amounts.

Bet down to 385 when paying. Don't feel as bad now!

Just did cover.
    890 afc
    Growth 42
    Second round started 5 days.
    100 units of N out
    12 units of S out
    Moving away from compounds/blends to straights seems to be paying off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Just did cover.
    890 afc
    Growth 42
    100 units of N out
    12 units of S out

Do you keep records annually to compare fert, weather etc with growth?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Do you keep records annually to compare fert, weather etc with growth?

We do. Have a small automatic weather station here. Record fert use and measure grass. It’s easy to correlate info a few times per year. Tbf this spring is an outlier as was 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Just did cover.
    890 afc
    Growth 42
    100 units of N out
    12 units of S out
    Why would straights be better than compounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That's fine for dry ground like Meath.....theyd cut the shift out if the ground here...

Do many if ye have the 40 or 50 calf feeders? Are they worth it? Much involved in cleaning them etc?

• Advertisement

The Nitrates derogation closing date is extended till tomorrow evening, for any folk that got caught for time.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/deadline-extended-for-nitrates-derogation-applications/
    I'm assuming it's not an April fools joke:rolleyes:

Do many if ye have the 40 or 50 calf feeders? Are they worth it? Much involved in cleaning them etc?

Had a Milk Bar one....spotless and simple to clean to be fair, but found it hit and miss in terms of how much calves were getting to drink.

By the time you spotted a calf underperforming on it, a calf had really fallen behind and needed individual attention to bring it back to the performance of the rest.

Changed to computer feeder, and it staggering the difference in the speed at which calves drink.

I reckon on the Milk Bar, some were getting 10 litres while some only 3...

Just heard a farmer I was in a discussion group with is selling his 130 cows next week. Same man wouldn't make many mistakes?

Just heard a farmer I was in a discussion group with is selling his 130 cows next week. Same man wouldn't make many mistakes?

There could be a number of reasons, and i guess in the scheme of things doing it due to wanting/ needing a change, etc is better rather than having to due to illness or whatever. Once tis the right call for himself. Know of one or two who have said if there are no successors they plan to sell up and use the capital to enjoy retirement while they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Had a Milk Bar one....spotless and simple to clean to be fair, but found it hit and miss in terms of how much calves were getting to drink.

By the time you spotted a calf underperforming on it, a calf had really fallen behind and needed individual attention to bring it back to the performance of the rest.

Changed to computer feeder, and it staggering the difference in the speed at which calves drink.

have always used compartments here . have had lads working over the years and they cant believe the diff in drinking speed when all theyre used to is flat bottom. vital if using low volumes with oad powder imo

Was thinking of getting one, maybe even a trailed one and keep the calves on milk as they transition to grass. May put heifers in another yard which could be used to house and feed them with it if weather is poor in springs. Don't really have a shed suitable for in and out to a field at the minute. Agree tho the stronger ones will fly tis keeping an eye on the weaker ones before it may become detrimental is the issue. Wouldn't want too many weeks between calves

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Is there a know reason for him selling up. Retirement age, no successor, health? Or just had enough of making loads of money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Nice stock on dd if its same man

Is there a know reason for him selling up. Retirement age, no successor, health? Or just had enough of making loads of money :)

Youngish man, roughly same age as myself. And an interested son as well. Really into feeding and breeding so I'm a bit surprised but may be some good reason for it.

Must check DD, I heard its supposed to be a mart sale but don't know much as yet.

• Advertisement

Was thinking of getting one, maybe even a trailed one and keep the calves on milk as they transition to grass. May put heifers in another yard which could be used to house and feed them with it if weather is poor in springs. Don't really have a shed suitable for in and out to a field at the minute. Agree tho the stronger ones will fly tis keeping an eye on the weaker ones before it may become detrimental is the issue. Wouldn't want too many weeks between calves

One massive advantage that i miss is herding. They would follow it anywhere. You could carry a bunch of calves alond a main road on your own.. ,

Youngish man, roughly same age as myself. And an interested son as well. Really into feeding and breeding so I'm a bit surprised but may be some good reason for it.

Must check DD, I heard its supposed to be a mart sale but don't know much as yet.

It's up on taafe auctions website for the last while.
    Another prominent dairy sale coming up this area same auctioneer.

I know a few young people this area who are mad to get milking(full of the joys of spring) and heifers bought after their parents exited years ago. It does make you wonder?
    It's not all sweetness and pie when you're up to your ankles in sh1t and reduced social life because of commitments.

Sticking with the positive theme. I was talking to an auctioneer come farmer yesterday and he had his best ever year farming last year.
    He set his land on a long-term lease to a beef/tillage farmer and is keeping the entitlements.
    No worries about weather or prices or tractor repairs and land being farmed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I know a few young people this area who are mad to get milking(full of the joys of spring) and heifers bought after their parents exited years ago. It does make you wonder?
    It's not all sweetness and pie when you're up to your ankles in sh1t and reduced social life because of commitments.

Sticking with the positive theme. I was talking to an auctioneer come farmer yesterday and he had his best ever year farming last year.
    He set his land on a long-term lease to a beef/tillage farmer and is keeping the entitlements.
    No worries about weather or prices or tractor repairs and land being farmed away.

The thing about the above mammy and daddy will probably be left to fill in asrelief Labour, defacto Labour unit, when old age/health problems catch up on the parents down the line the whole show usually becomes a tad bit to much for junior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

2 chaps I got working part time at the min are keen enough to hang on. Wouldn't be the worse idea to snap up another 25cows to bring me up to 10rows, and then buy in maize and some 1st cut (both of which I can definitely source). Profit from them 25 cows would only just be covering wages but would let me away with only milking 5 or 6 times a week rest of the year.

Electricity off here today. They are moving the power line so I can start my building. Was supposed to have been moved by March first. About 12 esb vehicles here at the minute

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The thing about the above mammy and daddy will probably be left to fill in asrelief Labour, defacto Labour unit, when old age/health problems catch up on the parents down the line the whole show usually becomes a tad bit to much for junior

The parents will give a hand no doubt about it.

One of em the answer is a robot and zero grazing. Fan of machinery.
    But both face a very big investment as a start up.
    We think one of them is mad to consider milking considering the lifestyle they currently have (looking in from the outside) but sure we're all a bit mad anyways.

Edit: talking to a bulk tank installer and he had talk of a million being spent on a dairy setup. Anyone else outside of ag would consider that like a lotto win and retirement in the Bahamas.

• Advertisement

The parents will give a hand no doubt about it.

One of em the answer is a robot and zero grazing. Fan of machinery.
    But both face a very big investment as a start up.
    We think one of them is mad to consider milking considering the lifestyle they currently have (looking in from the outside) but sure we're all a bit mad anyways.

Edit: talking to a bulk tank installer and he had talk of a million being spent on a dairy setup. Anyone else outside of ag would consider that like a lotto win and retirement in the Bahamas.
    Fair play to them. What business is it of anyone's what people are spending. I'm sure the banks have their sums done too.

Fair play to them. What business is it of anyone's what people are spending. I'm sure the banks have their sums done too.

Fair play is right. There's no begrudgery in my posts.

Banks don't care as long as the money goes out and the security is there.

Check out this Article I found - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/meps-back-flat-rate-bps-payments-of-185-ha-453003

Significant...but it's 8 years away..

TBH, I wish it was sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I also think that the minimum stocking rate requirement to claim ANC BPS is far to low. Some guys out there with big SFP and keeping a couple of donkeys ect and selling grass to farmers really gets on my mammery glands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Only issue I see is where the deeds of a place are handed over and a small fortune spent by a new entrant if they discover a few years down the line that dairy farming isn’t for them, they can’t just pull the pin and stop they have to stay at it to keep making bank repayments, wouldn’t be a nice place to find yourself doing a job you hate just to keep the bank paid up

• Advertisement

Just did a bit of asking and son is changing career. Good luck to them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    I also think that the minimum stocking rate requirement to claim ANC BPS is far to low. Some guys out there with big SFP and keeping a couple of donkeys ect and selling grass to farmers really gets on my mammery glands.

Habe nevwr heard of that tbh. Bit of a fallacy imo,old wives tale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

They would be nice cows. An excellent breeder by all accounts. Been sold in Tralee on the 13th of this month.

Check out this Article I found - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/meps-back-flat-rate-bps-payments-of-185-ha-453003

I see in another article they are on about measures for when markets are poor akin to supply reduction. Applying to areas outside of dairy as well. They were on about possibly fining those that produce extra in those years if voluntary reduction isn't taken up. Would be worried about the application of that. In the last milk price collapse I supplied more than ever just by having all fresh calvers and numbers built up the previous year and it helped big time.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    They would be nice cows. An excellent breeder by all accounts. Been sold in Tralee on the 13th of this month.

He sells a load of heifers up North every year, by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The end of farming in Ireland

Our cows hate being outside today...

I'm just wondering should they be out tonight? Top of the farm, no shelter?

It's cold here but land not too wet. I left them into a paddock with good shelter from a NW ditch?

Neighbour and myself had same question. He's a bit more exposed to the north east so he's thinking of leaving them out for a few hours after milking and in then. Mine will be near a ditch on the south side but fall of the slope may make it not as bad so thinking of letting them out, possibly keep in the last couple that calved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement