Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Panch18 wrote: »
    alps wrote: »
    Check out this Article I found - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/meps-back-flat-rate-bps-payments-of-185-ha-453003

Significant...but it's 8 years away..

TBH, I wish it was sooner

The end of farming in Ireland
    Or the beginning of it depending on your current situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our cows hate being outside today...

I'm just wondering should they be out tonight? Top of the farm, no shelter?

My cows are out tonight for the first time in 2019 anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What sort of money would first cut silage ground be worth? Fertilised and not fertilised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

What sort of money would first cut silage ground be worth? Fertilised and not fertilised?

If you’re buying, which I assume you are, the going rate is supposed to be 90% of cost of production...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm paying €80 an acre unfertilised for recently reseeded first cut. Repeat customer, pay in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭1373

Next door to me getting 155/ ac for unfertilsed and never reseeded in our lifetime grass , one cut and then out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

1373 wrote: »
    Next door to me getting 155/ ac for unfertilsed and never reseeded in our lifetime grass , one cut and then out

Jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Was asked €120/AC unfertlized and wanted payment on map ac not acs cut
    Bough maize instead .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dar31 wrote: »
    Bough maize instead .

Lads get cheeky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

Just heard a farmer I was in a discussion group with is selling his 130 cows next week. Same man wouldn't make many mistakes?

He has his money made I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

1373 wrote: »

Bonkers

Bough maize instead .

Yeah I just want to run the figures on it, will possibly be doing the same.
    Itll be either be the first cut silage and drop the maize or get the contractor to sow our maize and not bother with it

Habe nevwr heard of that tbh. Bit of a fallacy imo,old wives tale

Plenty people keeping donkeys to claim sfp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »

What's the point killing yourself working though, fair play to those who know when to give up.

whelan2 wrote: »
    What's the point killing yourself working though, fair play to those who know when to give up.

39 hours a week is enough for any man. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Or the beginning of it depending on your current situation

At 185 a hectare it’s not much of a beginning let me tell you

What kind of time would be normal between twins? Had a cow calved this morning, calf a bit smaller than expected but cow was fairly thin. I was keeping her for the vet on Thursday and she was 2 weeks before calving date.

Had 2 more calves today and registered and went out now and the cow has a second calf up and sucking, about 14 hours after the first?

Usual battle now to register twins again as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

If you’re buying, which I assume you are, the going rate is supposed to be 90% of cost of production...

he may make very expensive silage alas.

39 hours a week is enough for any man. 😉

5.30 to 6.30 here since the burst of calving is gone, been cleaning up around ditches on leased land for thr last week, digger arriving next week for a weeks work and then into breeding, reseeding and silage!
    No 39hr weeks here anytime soon, I wouldn't know what to do with myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

he has a good few bob spent on land and machinery in the last few yrs.... his land at home wouldnt be great (last summer was heaven for him) and his grazing area would be limited.... a serious amount of zero grazinbg going on and unfortunately he has to travel a nice journey to the land for the grass.... he has serious cows... really really good cows... no young stock being sold which leads me to think he only taking a little break for a yr...

man up the rd from Buford that sold a large proportion of his milking herd last yr but sold no youngstock is apparently milking more cows this yr than he ever had!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Just did a bit of asking and son is changing career. Good luck to them both.

I know it's a bit of a wide question. But how many cows would you need to be milking in a grass based system to get a 50k wage for yourself?

The biggest problem going forward I think will be actually lack of farmers let alone labor.

I know it's a bit of a wide question. But how many cows would you need to be milking in a grass based system to get a 50k wage for yourself?

The biggest problem going forward I think will be actually lack of farmers let alone labor.

Well, that's a loaded question:)

On average or every year?

You could do it with 60 cows, I suppose, as long as you were content to not invest on the farm. Like, content to just use a stock bill every year, not build up soil fertility, not invest in infrastructure, be content with older technology and systems while milking.

You're basically drawing down on previous investments on the farm which is grand until you need more storage, the slats need replacing, the land needs lime, P&K, roads need replacing, sheds need replacing, the milking machine needs upgrading ete etc etc etc.

I see it on farms here, changing over to beef and using the dairy infrastructure to continue. But eventually money, and probably big money, will need to be spent to get back to a point where the farm is more or less self sustaining.

That's just my opinion on it, I've seen it here and still spending to claw my way back.

You're probably looking at 90 cows to provide some security and scope for reinvestment and bad years. And that figure is rising year by year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

What type of nuts are boys feeding at the moment? Switched to a 14% maize, soya hulls, barley, soya bean 11%fibre nuts but fat is still too low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

blackdog1 wrote: »
    What type of nuts are boys feeding at the moment? Switched to a 14% maize, soya hulls, barley, soya bean 11%fibre nuts but fat is still too low.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of bales of alfalfa to add a bit of fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

On a 16 % here. Urea result came in under 20 but at the time were on ground that hadn't received fert. Grazing heavy covers at the minute as first paddocks are a bit behind where I want for second round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Cows on 3kgs of this as a buffer before evening milk, with lactaid yeast added as well and a 16% in parlour with maize/hulls/beet pulp/ soya bean the ingredients bf still above 4% and pr3.55 at 33 liters with second round started so it seems to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Cows on 3kgs of this as a buffer before evening milk, with lactaid yeast added as well and a 16% in parlour with maize/hulls/beet pulp/ soya bean the ingredients bf still above 4% and pr3.55 at 33 liters with second round started so it seems to be working

Jay many kgs in the parlour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

put the kettle on there will be a few lads around for a cup and some grub.
    hope the directions are good enough;););)

Jay many kgs in the parlour?

5kgs

• Advertisement

put the kettle on there will be a few lads around for a cup and some grub.
    hope the directions are good enough;););)

Usually mid-April before the bf crash kicks in here so weary enough it will stay up, lactaid with the buffer is the only thing different this year so will be interesting to see how it goes, definitely helps keep or up though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Usually mid-April before the bf crash kicks in here so weary enough it will stay up, lactaid with the buffer is the only thing different this year so will be interesting to see how it goes, definitely helps keep or up though

Look at the bottom of that docket you posted up.

Excellent source of fibre if it comes pre-chopped. It needs to be brought down to less than a inch in length to be useful. If you’ve a good diet feeder it’d chop it down quickly.
    What’s the price per ton?

Edit. If you’ve a good diet feeder any old kinda hay would do once you could chop it to 2-3”.

What’s Lactaid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Is it much different in price to normal yeast?

What’s Lactaid?

Live yeast sold by Agri Lloyd

Is it much different in price to normal yeast?

11cent a cow a day if you buy in bulk

he has a good few bob spent on land and machinery in the last few yrs.... his land at home wouldnt be great (last summer was heaven for him) and his grazing area would be limited.... a serious amount of zero grazinbg going on and unfortunately he has to travel a nice journey to the land for the grass.... he has serious cows... really really good cows... no young stock being sold which leads me to think he only taking a little break for a yr...

man up the rd from Buford that sold a large proportion of his milking herd last yr but sold no youngstock is apparently milking more cows this yr than he ever had!!

They're a good team, the two of them. I think when the other half of the team was out for a good while, he had to cut back on the surplus stock but both back at it again, from what I heard.

They're a good team, the two of them. I think when the other half of the team was out for a good while, he had to cut back on the surplus stock but both back at it again, from what I heard.

nice people.. excellent farmers.. but not getting any younger

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

jaymla627 wrote:

I'm also giving them whole crop and crimp with straw. Bloody diet feeders blades are gone and it's not chopping the straw right. I'd say that's my biggest problem. Didn't do a diet Sunday and fat fell from 3.8 to 3.7 which is way too low. Lactose 4.98 and fell to 4.93 when off diet. Very unlikely it's acidosis and definetly not in negative energy. Fibre is the problem I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Well, that's a loaded question:)

You're probably looking at 90 cows to provide some security and scope for reinvestment and bad years. And that figure is rising year by year as well.

Thought so. Let's be honest, you'd want to be stone mad as a young lad coming up to consider milking less than a hundred, and as you say that's rising every year. You can get a job in Many industry's with 50k plus wage and holidays sick pay etc and have a much easier life. The dairy industry will be a victim of it's own success in time. Sad but true.

Just got texts about genotyping 2 bull calves born yesterday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭dmakc

4YO cow had a difficult calving (well overdue) 3 days ago and has been ill since. Vet took precaution to save epidural issues, we're giving her tonic, silage, nuts, milk (she's not currently fond of water) in a straw shed to herself. Vet called again today noted she looks less healthy so treated her for milk fever etc. She can get up and move about (but might stretch out the odd time like yest eve) so we're hopeful she should recover physically, anyone have experiences where the cow returned to milk for season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone in East Leinster got a either a high ebi fr, a pure bred br Fr, or a HE bull fit to serve heifers for sale for the likes of 1600e max? Drop me a pm.

• Advertisement

Just got texts about genotyping 2 bull calves born yesterday:)

Jackpot?

Thought so. Let's be honest, you'd want to be stone mad as a young lad coming up to consider milking less than a hundred, and as you say that's rising every year. You can get a job in Many industry's with 50k plus wage and holidays sick pay etc and have a much easier life. The dairy industry will be a victim of it's own success in time. Sad but true.

Milking 65 - 70 here and making a living. Wouldnt be getting carried away with numbers. Every extra cow costs money to carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Jackpot?

Entered in the draw anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Wrecking head time of the year trying to pick out straws for breeding and trying to understand this.

The Grand National is on on Saturday. I want to bet. There are 40 runners. Tiger Roll is the top ebi horse with 29% realibility followed next with Rathvinder with just 12.5% realibility.

Instead of betting on just 1 horse with low realibility, should I bet on a "team of horses" to give me greater realibility?

If I bet on a team of 5, will this get me 90% realibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Wrecking head time of the year trying to pick out straws for breeding and trying to understand this.

The Grand National is on on Saturday. I want to bet. There are 40 runners. Tiger Roll is the top ebi horse with 29% realibility followed next with Rathvinder with just 12.5% realibility.

Instead of betting on just 1 horse with low realibility, should I bet on a "team of horses" to give me greater realibility?

If I bet on a team of 5, will this get me 90% realibility?

Using a big enough team of higher figure lower reliability bulls gets you more potential to get a place as well as a non finisher (assuming theyre not closely related) but they would most likely (but not always) average out ahead of a high reliability lower ebi bull, who will have less placing/non finishers but plenty of good animals (which may be better as the greater amount of duds might make it harder to get the most out of the potential winners and pull your actual results back from the genetic potential).

You'd want more than 5 bulls to get 90% reliability I would think

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement