Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm tb testing next tue, reading Friday. I have a dozon or so HE calves under 6wks old who I'm not going to be testing, and it would suit well to bring them to the mart on Thursday. Is that going to be a problem for me?

Go on to agfood Thurs morning, there is a tab in the movements to check eligibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm tb testing next tue, reading Friday. I have a dozon or so HE calves under 6wks old who I'm not going to be testing, and it would suit well to bring them to the mart on Thursday. Is that going to be a problem for me?

I don't think you can
    It's in the literature you were sent
    Carnew might be open Easter Saturday,worth a phone call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mooooo wrote: »
    Go on to agfood Thurs morning, there is a tab in the movements to check eligibility
    Bovines cannot be moved into or out of a herd during the annual TB test (unless they have died and sent to the knackery within the three days of the test/reading) irrespective if they are calves under 42 days of age.

Base price wrote: »
    Bovines cannot be moved into or out of a herd during the annual TB test (unless they have died and sent to the knackery within the three days of the test/reading) irrespective if they are calves under 42 days of age.

Misread the post, thought it was the thurs before. Either way the thing on agfood is handy to check before any movements to make sure all is correct

Misread the post, thought it was the thurs before. Either way the thing on agfood is handy to check before any movements to make sure all is correct
    +1 especially since the BTE cards don't have to be stamped anymore by the Vet. Our Vet still stamps them if we want but it can be confusing if you are buying in animals and the cards are not stamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Can’t beat driving hard with grazing and starting 2nd round in March. It’s the secret.
    40 growth here
    200 per cow
    Top Phos the difference in my view

Whats Top Phos?

Some amout of maize, and zero grazed grass from silage blocks in the locality. Second rounds started last few days of march/first days of April , in conjunction with growth taking a nosedive. Cold weather an issue, lads scrambling for buffer.

Some amout of maize, and zero grazed grass from silage blocks in the locality. Second rounds started last few days of march/first days of April , in conjunction with growth taking a nosedive. Cold weather an issue, lads scrambling for buffer.
    Grass is getting scarce around here as there has been little growth in the last week to ten days with that feckin East wind. Thankfully I didn't clean/powerhose the diet feeder last month as it's going to be back into action tomorrow with a wheaten straw/maize meal mix.
    We're not dairying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,857 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I got in trouble last year for 2 cows going to the knacjery between testing and reading. I thought I was doing the right thing as one had broken her leg and the other had a heart condition and was going to die anyway. Had to write a letter etc to the dept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Whats Top Phos?

Chemical fertilizer...
    Supposedly more water soluble P for quicker and more efficient uptake.

Grass is getting scarce around here as there has been little growth in the last week to ten days with that feckin East wind. Thankfully I didn't clean/powerhose the diet feeder last month as it's going to be back into action tomorrow with a wheaten straw/maize meal mix.
    We're not dairying.

There’s a N Easterly wind here now for weeks with little or no growth. Cows have 2nd round finished and are back in by night now.
    Should be planting sunflowers now but holding back because of soil temps. Likewise with maize, sorghum etc.
    The tricky bit is the quickly drying out soils which is rather early for here.
    Hopefully a nasty drought isn’t on the cards...

How do ye find the calves do on them, would ye need separate pens for the first and last calves to go on to it?.

Calves do very well Moo. They get between 6 and 8 feeds a day so it’s very close to a natural system.
    We keep the new calves separated from the older ones because they would bully them out of the station, iykwim.

It’s excellent at rearing calves and gets them on meal faster, but they do tend to melt once weaned, so a little extra grub for a fortnight really pays off.

Probably the best machine that I’ve got on the farm.
    I finally persuaded a relation to invest in one and I asked him lately how’s he getting on with it...’try taking it off me’ was his reply.

Edit. I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t have an auto feeder, are they not covered in Tams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Calves do very well Moo. They get between 6 and 8 feeds a day so it’s very close to a natural system.
    We keep the new calves separated from the older ones because they would bully them out of the station, iykwim.

It’s excellent at rearing calves and gets them on meal faster, but they do tend to melt once weaned, so a little extra grub for a fortnight really pays off.

I finally persuaded a relation to invest in one and I asked him lately how’s he getting on with it...’try taking it off me’ was his reply.

Edit. I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t have an auto feeder, are they not covered in Tams?

Not covered under tams, bought a secondhand one here as new is a fair investment for the small no of calves I’d keep, any beef calves are on it for 7-14 days before sold and Fr heifers, Dont really like feeding calves tbh but have an off farm job so helps in the morning when wanting to get away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

There’s a N Easterly wind here now for weeks with little or no growth. Cows have 2nd round finished and are back in by night now.
    Should be planting sunflowers now but holding back because of soil temps. Likewise with maize, sorghum etc.
    The tricky bit is the quickly drying out soils which is rather early for here.
    Hopefully a nasty drought isn’t on the cards...

FS Dawg, don't say the dro#### word. Still paying for it here...all working as planned since last August, but knife edge stuff..

Hit the back of the pit of 15th of March, so out full time (except the cold night) supp with Ograze and 5kg conc, running a demand of 34. Growth (37) exceeded demand for the first time this week.

Grass seed going in this week to some silage ground that we put into Rape end of July, which outwintered the weanlings, as they went from that to early silage ground grazing.

I week of Ograze ground left and that will be fert up for silage, so in effect, next winter's silage yield has been hit by last year's drought.

Neither mind nor pocket could handle another summer like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I'd like one but my calf houses are a bit dispersed. How many calves could you put into a 20 foot by 15 foot straw bedded pin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭jaymla627

alps wrote: »
    FS Dawg, don't say the dro#### word. Still paying for it here...all working as planned since last August, but knife edge stuff..

Hit the back of the pit of 15th of March, so out full time (except the cold night) supp with Ograze and 5kg conc, running a demand of 34. Growth (37) exceeded demand for the first time this week.

Grass seed going in this week to some silage ground that we put into Rape end of July, which outwintered the weanlings, as they went from that to early silage ground grazing.

I week of Ograze ground left and that will be fert up for silage, so in effect, next winter's silage yield has been hit by last year's drought.

Neither mind nor pocket could handle another summer like that.

It could be worse neighbour just rang to inform us that half a lads cattle have gone down with tb beside the outfarm where the incalf heifers where wintered and I’m doing my round test Wednesday, maidens where meant to go over their Monday for the grazing season as well but in two minds weather to keep them at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

(I'd like one but my calf houses are a bit dispersed. How many calves could you put into a 20 foot by 15 foot straw bedded pin?)

10. I just match it to the ten nipple feeder.

First silage of the year in, 3.5 bales to the acre. Fecking hate bales but they'll feed the cows for some few days anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

First silage of the year in, 3.5 bales to the acre. Fecking hate bales but they'll feed the cows for some few days anyway

Better looking at it than looking for it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

straight wrote: »
    I'd like one but my calf houses are a bit dispersed. How many calves could you put into a 20 foot by 15 foot straw bedded pin?

30’sq per calf would allow for 10 calves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I'm currently have a group calving pen inside an old silage barn and it's working well for me. I'm considering dividing it into pens for next year. What do ye think? Pens or group?

Whats Top Phos?

It’s a Grassland Agro product. 10% P 9%S. It’s more water soluble and reacts at much lower soil temps than standard P.

P as you know works best when applied in spring but to mobalise and amount of it soil temps need to be >15. These temps are not achieved until May in a normal year. We’ve tried it for the past couple of years on select paddocks and got good results. This year we spread any paddock reseeded within the past 8 years.

Will do so again, not cheap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It’s a Grassland Agro product. 10% P 9%S. It’s more water soluble and reacts at much lower soil temps than standard P.

P as you know works best when applied in spring but to mobalise and amount of it soil temps need to be >15. These temps are not achieved until May in a normal year. We’ve tried it for the past couple of years on select paddocks and got good results. This year we spread any paddock reseeded within the past 8 years.

Will do so again, not cheap though.

Dont be giving away trade secrets:P

Who would you get to put a nose ring in a teaser? Have 3 2 yr old lads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

It might be safer to get some adults to help.

Our hoof care man does them. Crate is handy to handle them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Vet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I always ring them myself in the crush gate. Be careful with the little screw, its easy loose it, but if you do the ones in a three pin plug will fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Breeding 19 kicked off this am. Ai man remarked his season is getting shorter each year. Told him 4 straight weeks this year and he's out the gate.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Breeding 19 kicked off this am. Ai man remarked his season is getting shorter each year. Told him 4 straight weeks this year and he's out the gate.

At least he'll have one warm arm all day long today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

https://m.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/irish-farms-among-3bn-acc-loan-book-sold-at-steep-discount-by-rabobank-38009800.html

So Rabbo have sold their remaining Irish loans at a two thirds discount to a vulture fund
    That's the bank that Glanbia got loads of milk suppliers to sign up large loans funding expansion yeah?
    Miss one repayment lads on those,just one and its foreclosure
    That's how they make their money
    Although Iirc those loans weren't supposed to be secured by land,just your milk cheque, you can be pretty sure they'll be able to chase the land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

We've a young cow due end of May and don't know what to do with her going forward. She was caught out of sync as a heifer and hasn't come in line since. Is it unrealistic to hope for a March/early April calving next year or what are the best ways to aid it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

When she's 40 days calved you could try synchronising her.

tanko wrote: »
    When she's 40 days calved you could try synchronising her.

And use something very easily calved on her so she won't have damage to repair before going in heat. KYA or a Jersey or similar to give her every chance to join the rest of the herd again.

I always ring them myself in the crush gate. Be careful with the little screw, its easy loose it, but if you do the ones in a three pin plug will fit.

What did you use to punch the hole through the nose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The point on the ring itself. A good big shot of local into the top of the nose once you have him restrained. He won't even know its being done to him.

Agridirect have the applicator for 23 euro. Sharpen with a file

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Hello all long time reader first time poster. I’m just looking for a bit of help/ guidance in understanding the following milk sample results. 10-04-19 FAT=3.77 PROT=3.39 LACT=4.87. Assisting a relative who is ill in last 12 months. He says fat levels should be higher. Is there a way of making them higher by manipulating diet. Cows on good grass and 3kg in parlour. Any help hints or tips greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Depending on his type of cow that is ok for the time of year my figures are similar. To try and bring up the bf you could offer some fibre like straw or hay or in the next load of meal include some nis. Once dungs aren't extremely lose the cows are maintaining condition that is the main thing.

• Advertisement

Depending on his type of cow that is ok for the time of year my figures are similar. To try and bring up the bf you could offer some fibre like straw or hay or in the next load of meal include some nis. Once dungs aren't extremely lose the cows are maintaining condition that is the main thing.
    Cow condition is good enough. Always a few you’d like a bit more condition on. What is nis in meal? Think if we threw a bale of hay in ring feeder in collection yard would that help?

Toetohand wrote: »
    Cow condition is good enough. Always a few you’d like a bit more condition on. What is nis in meal? Think if we threw a bale of hay in ring feeder in collection yard would that help?
    Cows are all hol/Fr. About 80/20 in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

The point on the ring itself. A good big shot of local into the top of the nose once you have him restrained. He won't even know its being done to him.

I have also heard of the prong of a pike being used or what ever he call it where you are.:rolleyes:

I have also heard of the prong of a pike being used or what ever he call it where you are.:rolleyes:

Using a fish to ring a bull is a new one to me

Toetohand wrote: »

Nis is a type of pelleted straw I think, never used it just see lads adding it to try and increase the bf. If it's handy try the hay shir, don't force them to eat it leave it up to themselves

Using a fish to ring a bull is a new one to me

Yeez talks funny ups der in da middle lands... suppose you call it a fork or, god forbid, a sprong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Dumped a tank of milk the other day. Antibiotics. At least it was noticed!

Like everyone else Growth has disappeared. Was still feeding silage anyway, just making up most of the diet now. Wholecrop as well.

Fined €1200 yesterday for spraying glyphosate around farm buildings on an outside farm. Some bollix must have reported it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Fined €1200 yesterday for spraying glyphosate around farm buildings on an outside farm. Some bollix must have reported it...

Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Irish farmers getting a bad name ! !

Making life a bit easier in future.
    J314MQ9.jpg
    Still waiting for an electrician so should be working in the next day or two.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement