Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    Do I shove him outa the way with the bale spikes?

I've never actually 'minded' the four rams on a loader before for rising a loader.

Maybe I've been blind but I've never seen four over the usual two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Capacitor went on compressor on milk tank this evening. Service man was here within 20 minutes

He knows where the yard is now though unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    He knows where the yard is now though unfortunately!

Aye, it's laughable at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I've never actually 'minded' the four rams on a loader before for rising a loader.

Their frenc i think, certainly theymade/make one's with 4 lift rams.
    http://www.m-x.eu/en/products/front-loaders/t400/models.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Capacitor went on compressor on milk tank this evening. Service man was here within 20 minutes

Why does the bulk tank always act up on a Sunday evening? I had the temperature regulator go one time it was shorting the tank and causing the switch to trip. The service changed the wire going to the tank and had to go away for more wire and after all that it was the temperature regulator.

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Why does the bulk tank always act up on a Sunday evening? I had the temperature regulator go one time it was shorting the tank and causing the switch to trip. The service changed the wire going to the tank and had to go away for more wire and after all that it was the temperature regulator.

Has been taking ages to cool this last few days. Was putting it down to warm weather, extra milk and every day collection. Glad it happened today as I'm away at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Looks like hydraulic self leveling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Looks like hydraulic self leveling?

Yep. Actually works well, less linkages to wear out and it's more compact than a convention self leveling system (especially with low roofs!).

What brand of loader is That Tim?

What brand of loader is That Tim?

Sigma maybe? Some sort of loader that was bought in batch for landini. Nothing special about it I'll admit, quickie would definitely be better but you'd obviously pay a decent few quid more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Has been taking ages to cool this last few days. Was putting it down to warm weather, extra milk and every day collection. Glad it happened today as I'm away at the weekend

By the time the auto wash is finished in the milking parlor the tank should be finished cooling, even at 40+ degrees.

Just out the gate with the mowers and thunder with rain for about five minutes. Looks like rain has canceled play. Forecast reckoning it’ll be like this for the week.

Peas, vetch, barley and crimson that’s about the height of my pocket DD into multicut sorghum mid October. Should have used Balansa instead because the crimson doesn’t like the competition from the peas and vetch.
    These crops really do need to be well wilted because they’re full of juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just out the gate with the mowers and thunder with rain for about five minutes. Looks like rain has canceled play. Forecast reckoning it’ll be like this for the week.

Peas, vetch, barley and crimson that’s about the height of my pocket DD into multicut sorghum mid October. Should have used Balansa instead because the crimson doesn’t like the competition from the peas and vetch.

So your plan worked

Reggie. wrote: »
    So your plan worked

Swimmingly!!

Pain for the lads who came in this morning, to go home again. Got a half days pay all the same.

Country closed down today. Took me two hours driving around to try and buy a sleeve of cigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Swimmingly!!

Pain for the lads who came in this morning, to go home again. Got a half days pay all the same.

Country closed down today. Took me two hours driving around to try and buy a sleeve of cigs.

Backy fever.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Swimmingly!!

Give up the fags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Reggie. wrote: »
    So your plan worked

Swimmingly!!

With all the diesel or petrol used it would have been cheaper to take the hit on buying 20 in a local shop rather than searching for a smuggled sleeve off a sleeveen of a red haired boy or his French equivilent

Slava Ukrainii

Bfat 3.89%
    Pr 3.44 %
    2.2 solids /cow.
    4kgs 15% pr meal.

Grass is growing again so ground on the home block will be closed up for silage now.
    Have roughly 150 bales of silage left over
    from the winter. Compared to last year when I had to beg for silage.
    Leased ground away from the farm is being baled for silage today. Slurry out tomorrow.

Easiest spring calving ever with no jack used and no cleanings held and no real calf mortality bar one or two with stupid problems.
    Fr stockbull out this last week with the cows and seems to be doing his job well.
    Angus bull will be out with the heifers this week.

Bfat 3.89%
    Pr 3.44 %
    2.2 solids /cow.
    4kgs 15% pr meal.

Grass is growing again so ground on the home block will be closed up for silage now.
    Have roughly 150 bales of silage left over
    from the winter. Compared to last year when I had to beg for silage.
    Leased ground away from the farm is being baled for silage today. Slurry out tomorrow.

Easiest spring calving ever with no jack used and no cleanings held and no real calf mortality bar one or two with stupid problems.
    Fr stockbull out this last week with the cows and seems to be doing his job well.
    Angus bull will be out with the heifers this week.

No ai?

No ai?

Not for a good few years.

The bull is able for the numbers I'd have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

have ye started bulling yet or waiting another few days ??
    bulled today would be calving when ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

kerry cow wrote: »

Time up Jan 22nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Over 30 % ai'd in last 7 days and a few to the he stock bull. We were keeping track of the heats and decided to go. Will adjust lambing dates later to avoid 2 peaks clashing.

tanko wrote: »
    Time up Jan 22nd.

285 from to day is Feb 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

orm0nd wrote: »

283 is what some calculators use now with dairy stock

A lot of the new genomic bulls would be calved earlier. Starting ai tomorrow here.

A lot of the new genomic bulls would be calved earlier. Starting ai tomorrow here.

Will be using some later this week. Want to keep certain bloodlines in the herd. Most are 285 to 290.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

This day next week and heifers Saturday week to fixed time ai

What bulls ye using?

• Advertisement

Beautiful wet week of weather ahead of us here also, and not a moment too soon for this farm haha, the pigtail pegs are getting harder and harder to drive into the ground which means a drop in grass growth will rapidly follow due to a lack of moisture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Beautiful wet week of weather ahead of us here also, and not a moment too soon for this farm haha, the pigtail pegs are getting harder and harder to drive into the ground which means a drop in grass growth will rapidly follow due to a lack of moisture!

I didn’t believe you, checked Yr and a lovely wet week promised. We’ve a lot of reseeding to get done but will gladly wait. Today was one drying hash day here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Heifers on Saturday all fixed time ai.

Cows will start day after May holiday which is 7th. 12th Feb due date for cows calving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

I didn’t believe you, checked Yr and a lovely wet week promised. We’ve a lot of reseeding to get done but will gladly wait. Today was one drying hash day here

Just finished levelling, heap of stones in it....gonna be favourite dad when I tell the crew at no.e what they'll be at tomorrow...has to be finished and out the gap by tomorrow evening..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Digger arrived in the yard here today to start work on reclaiming some ground and piping a few springs . Typical.
    He has to finish off a yard/road beside our new tank before he goes to the land, one phone call at 3pm to the local stone crew, 10 lorry loads of broken stone tipped in the yard by 7pm this evening. Great service at such short notice (he let me know that too)
    Hopefully we'll get that yard tidied up before rain arrives on Wednesday!

Mooooo wrote: »
    What bulls ye using?
    fr4545
    fr2035
    fr4600 sexed
    fr4379
    fr4688
    lek

• Advertisement

I asked before and got no response, wondering if anyone has synchronised cows before or know about success rates. Running bulls here this years. It's the only way I can ai the cows really. If I ring ai company the rep is hardly going to say its a waste of time and money!

What bulls ye using?

Fr 4728
    Fr 4911
    Fr 4513
    Fr 2239
    Fr 4738
    Fr 4600
    Fr 4751

I asked before and got no response, wondering if anyone has synchronised cows before or know about success rates. Running bulls here this years. It's the only way I can ai the cows really. If I ring ai company the rep is hardly going to say its a waste of time and money!

Could you set up to ai after milking morning and evening? Or go once a day after morning milking but if one is still in heat she may need a second serve the next morning. Don't have experience or figures of it but everything would want to be right sync cow's, higher % wouldn't hold and then you would prob have to ai in 18 to 21 days as repeats would be coming in at the same time which may be too much for the bulls

Anyone ever flush a cow? Had a mastitis break down here and an old cow may not be cured properly. Has been bulling like clockwork and has calved every year for the last 9 on the button. Have a couple of fleckveih heifers that may do

• Advertisement

Nope but read article ,using actisaf in nut this year as well as megafat and sodium bicarbonate and feeding 1 kg nis at feed barrier before pm milking ,so far so good milk up butter fat up and good solid dungs

Usually go 1st of May for both cows and heifers, but calves not really hitting the ground properly until 7th Feb last 2 yrs, was planning on pulling it back a week, that would mean this Wednesday, I'll decide then though ha, might leave it afew more days, not feeling the love for farming at the minute after going down with tb last Friday.

A week earlier would be no harm thought because I often end up under pressure in Nov with poor weather and not enough cubicles on the home yard forcing me to dry off afew rows early.

not feeling the love for farming at the minute after going down with tb last Friday.

Ah crap!!

Sorry to hear that Tim.

Could you set up to ai after milking morning and evening? Or go once a day after morning milking but if one is still in heat she may need a second serve the next morning. Don't have experience or figures of it but everything would want to be right sync cow's, higher % wouldn't hold and then you would prob have to ai in 18 to 21 days as repeats would be coming in at the same time which may be too much for the bulls

Not really as I don't be around to watch heats or draw out cows. My stick to the bulls for this year anyway so

Not really as I don't be around to watch heats or draw out cows. My stick to the bulls for this year anyway so

I tail paint the cows with spray on stuff, take out those that are marked each morning. Ai in the morning only. Young lad is on heat detection this year. He has been writing down heats for last few weeks. I will only do 5 weeks ai at most and then bull will go in. Text ai man night before that I have cows for him next morning. Top up tail paint every 3 days with a different colour

Got 18mm in 20minutes last evening.
    Most of it ran off the ground because, like yourself, the ground is like the road.
    Still, we’ll never say no to rain from now until September.

I tail paint the cows with spray on stuff, take out those that are marked each morning. Ai in the morning only. Young lad is on heat detection this year. He has been writing down heats for last few weeks. I will only do 5 weeks ai at most and then bull will go in. Text ai man night before that I have cows for him next morning. Top up tail paint every 3 days with a different colour

Have many cows not cycled? How are you gonna intervene with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Freejin

I think it's not recommended but does anyone tail paint maiden heifers? What's the reason it's not recommended?

May be worth looking at those heat time things, collars for cow's that tell if they are in heat. Tbh most of the time it's at milking I see the cow in heat, either tail paint gone or the vasectomised bull following or after marking them if he's in. If doing ai you will need a way of drafting out cow's. I don't have a drafting gate only me getting in front of them and directing em out of the collecting yard. A pain sometimes, esp since feeders went into the parlour.

Have many cows not cycled? How are you gonna intervene with them?

I don't do anything with them. Keep it simple. Calving interval 371 days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement