Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Freejin wrote: »
    I think it's not recommended but does anyone tail paint maiden heifers? What's the reason it's not recommended?

The tail paint doesn't come off as readily as with cows, I find. Had a few last year in strong heats for a day and came in the following morning for AI and the tail paint was barely touched. With cows, the tail paint is gone from most the following morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭degetme

The tail paint doesn't come off as readily as with cows, I find. Had a few last year in strong heats for a day and came in the following morning for AI and the tail paint was barely touched. With cows, the tail paint is gone from most the following morning.

I always thought it was the way they would be licking the paint off each other as there more into messing about . Use the scratch cards here but for the first few days they would be trying to chew them off

degetme wrote: »
    I always thought it was the way they would be licking the paint off each other as there more into messing about . Use the scratch cards here but for the first few days they would be trying to chew them off

Yeah, I tried them as well, and a lot missing them after a week. I'm not having much success in finding a way to track heats in heifers, teaser bulls do a good job but you'd need a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mikemurphy93

Myself and my father are after setting up a farm partnership and we are also a company with both herd numbers active but the one farm bank account we are.in relation to the BPS do I submit an application for each herd number or is there a separate way to apply for a partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Yeah, I tried them as well, and a lot missing them after a week. I'm not having much success in finding a way to track heats in heifers, teaser bulls do a good job but you'd need a few of them.

use a carpet glue aerosol and there will be practically no losses either through not sticking right or from chewing them off.
    that and a teaser with chinball ...foolproof .

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I see ye lads in Glanbia are giving Siobhán a €150 grand raise. Shes doing a mighty job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

I see ye lads in Glanbia are giving Siobhán a €150 grand raise. Shes doing a mighty job

The Glanbia lads are fair generous aren't they?!

cjpm wrote: »
    The Glanbia lads are fair generous aren't they?!

I see where Glanbia is pulling out of the Greenfield project so it's easy to see where the money is going to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

One teaser to 40 heifers here. Scratch cards put on with carpet glue is all that works for us. Tail paint is not great on heifers because there not heavy enough to cause the friction to pull the pain off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

I see where Glanbia is pulling out of the Greenfield project so it's easy to see where the money is going to...

just saw that on twitter, I was surprised its a shame in fairness gave lots of info on expansion and the true costs of milk production. there is nothing similar been done anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

yewtree wrote: »
    just saw that on twitter, I was surprised its a shame in fairness gave lots of info on expansion and the true costs of milk production. there is nothing similar been done anywhere else.

Talk of phelan family wanting out too ,lots of negative press generated there thru spring 18’,must e having a bearing on decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Still the bones of half a million euro outstanding in a bank loan plus a hefty overdraft, who’s going to pick up the tab for it I wonder, it’s gas reading the original business plan and the returns it was projected to make

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Talk of phelan family wanting out too ,lots of negative press generated there thru spring 18’,must e having a bearing on decision

Ya it probably did its a bit weak from glanbia though to pack it in so quickly. Owners are the big winners though. Goiing to get a fully developed dairy farm back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ya it probably did its a bit weak from glanbia though to pack it in so quickly. Owners are the big winners though. Goiing to get a fully developed dairy farm back.

‘Fully developed’ mite b stretching it

‘Fully developed’ mite b stretching it

Ah here 30 unit milking parlour collecting yard, drafting unit, grazing infrastructure on 120 ha, water system, slurry lagoon, wintering for 300 cows, calf sheds. Farm has been fully reseeded aswell. Its fully developed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Ah here 30 unit milking parlour collecting yard, drafting unit, grazing infrastructure on 120 ha, water system, slurry lagoon, wintering for 300 cows, calf sheds. Farm has been fully reseeded aswell. Its fully developed.

What planet were u living on around the 1st weekend in March ‘18...?? A parlor with no walls... 300 cubicles wit no roof or even shelter of any description.... they spent 10 yrs wheelbarrowing nuts to cows.. the penny finally dropping this year to install batch feeders... grass water and fencing are good.. everything else needs improving...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Still the bones of half a million euro outstanding in a bank loan plus a hefty overdraft, who’s going to pick up the tab for it I wonder, it’s gas reading the original business plan and the returns it was projected to make

Maybe Siobhan Talbot will do a John Delaney and write out a personal cheque ;)

What planet were u living on around the 1st weekend in March ‘18...?? A parlor with no walls... 300 cubicles wit no roof or even shelter of any description.... they spent 10 yrs wheelbarrowing nuts to cows.. the penny finally dropping this year to install batch feeders... grass water and fencing are good.. everything else needs improving...

Every farm in the country struggled that weekend i have a enclosed parlour and it froze solid.
    The vast majority of the development is done, The owners might need to put a roof on a shed and bulid 70 ft of walls for a farm capable of milking 350 cows. Thats a deal i would happily take .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

Glanbia must not have liked the facts that it was exposing. Dairy farming is no piece of cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How fast can bf go up or down?, cow's in the same paddocks with same grass for 3 to four collections a bf went from 3.45 to 3.94 to 3.48 having been 3.8 prior. Same meal no changes and dry weather through out. Dungs are fine. Annoying as they are doing about 30L p is 3.46 lactose 4.89. On 6 kg 14% meal with 43% heifers. Delay in getting results from dairygold is a pain in the ass as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    How fast can bf go up or down?, cow's in the same paddocks with same grass for 3 to four collections a bf went from 3.45 to 3.94 to 3.48 having been 3.8 prior. Same meal no changes and dry weather through out. Dungs are fine. Annoying as they are doing about 30L p is 3.46 lactose 4.89. On 6 kg 14% meal with 43% heifers. Delay in getting results from dairygold is a pain in the ass as well

Butterfat highly susceptible to badly taken or handled sample.
    Agitator not run before connecting hose..
    Sample bottle removed too early, and before top of tank empties through..
    Sample bottle filled too much...I've seen drivers tip out a bit before closing..
    Sample bottle filled too much where fat sticks to the cover when opened for sampling..

Far more likely than your cows fluctuating so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

alps wrote: »
    Butterfat highly susceptible to badly taken or handled sample.
    Agitator not run before connecting hose..
    Sample bottle removed too early, and before top of tank empties through..
    Sample bottle filled too much...I've seen drivers tip out a bit before closing..
    Sample bottle filled too much where fat sticks to the cover when opened for sampling..

Far more likely than your cows fluctuating so much

Does the milk truck automatically take a sample?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Off north to cow country now. There’s a herd of 200 for sale with an average of 10k+ litre. The son or daughter wouldn’t touch the farm even though there’s nearly 400ha...

I don’t really like buying up there because it’s an area of fairly high density of stock and carry a lot more diseases. Last Feb I bought 36 up there and only 13 passed the tests. Here’s hoping.

I read last night that there’s 30k less dairy cows in France compared to last year. With milk price rocketing cows could go to mad money yet.
    With a strong milk price and 1.7cpl for gmo free milk, plus solids, I’m grossing nearly 42cpl + vat for milk. That’s going to feed into cow prices for sure.

If only cereal prices took the same road...here’s hoping.

Every collection, samples are taken in proportion to the collection. Driver inputs the expected volume and the pump samples according to that. If your volume is higher or lower than expected, the bottle can get over or under filled.

As Alps said, overfilling can result in fats being left on the top of the sample bottle. If underfull, the labs have to physically lift the bottle up to the analyser as it can sample. Labs really really don't like underfilled bottles.

No..

Sample bottle must be put in place, and the expected collection amountbentered in computer so as to ensure that the sample is just the correct amount..

A good partner to be in business with???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

I presume they will still take the milk. Maybe a better paying co-op could add more value to the farm. Extra two cent would be a nice amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

mahoney_j wrote:
    Nope but read article ,using actisaf in nut this year as well as megafat and sodium bicarbonate and feeding 1 kg nis at feed barrier before pm milking ,so far so good milk up butter fat up and good solid dungs

Mahoney what is nis that you are feeding at barrier?

danjoe wrote: »
    Mahoney what is nis that you are feeding at barrier?
    Straw pellets ...yes I did say straw .
    A lesson in adding value.

Straw pellets ...yes I did say straw .
    A lesson in adding value.

Have u used it ????anyway nis is nutritionally enhancer straw pellets ,basically caustic treated straw pellets working very well here and on many herds using it more so higher producing better rumen function solid dungs on lush grass higher fats and more milk lots positives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Have u used it ????anyway nis is nutritionally enhancer straw pellets ,basically caustic treated straw pellets working very well here and on many herds using it more so higher producing better rumen function solid dungs on lush grass higher fats and more milk lots positives

Feeding .5kg of straw here this year. Taking the time to make sure its chopped and incorporated properly. So far close to .5% up on bf compared to this time last year. 33l today at 4.12 and 3.53.

Didn't use .Did price last year as considered using . Can't remember differential over straw but thought it saucy.
    As I said alot of value added over feeding straight straw which has its place no doubt.
    Bought some of the chopped imported straw last year . Length way under what feeders would chop.
    Good value pound for pound I'd say.
    Tempted to open a bale as fats are nearing 4% .

Feeding .5kg of straw here this year. Taking the time to make sure its chopped and incorporated properly. So far close to .5% up on bf compared to this time last year. 33l today at 4.12 and 3.53.

No need to reinvent the wheel with those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Just sorting out my last few bits for the bord bia and after spotting I'm missing 1 knackery receipt for 2 calves in spring 18. Can't seem to find it anywhere but its showing on AIM. Will this be an issue or whats the easiest solution to the problem?

Signpost wrote: »
    Just sorting out my last few bits for the bord bia and after spotting I'm missing 1 knackery receipt for 2 calves in spring 18. Can't seem to find it anywhere but its showing on AIM. Will this be an issue or whats the easiest solution to the problem?

The knackary prob have a copy, they may be able to email a scan of it to you? Once it's showing on the aim where they went I wouldn't overly worry tho, that's a record of the movement, they are accounted for

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Thanks. I've printed out whats shown on AIM anyway and if any questions can get onto the knackary then. Hopefully not a big issue anyway.

Signpost wrote: »
    Thanks. I've printed out whats shown on AIM anyway and if any questions can get onto the knackary then. Hopefully not a big issue anyway.

Usually the last death asked for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

That's where the keenan is better than a tub feeder I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Phelan family want “in” be more like it

• Advertisement

Phelan family want “in” be more like it

Wanting into dairying on own maby and out of current arrangement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Wanting into dairying on own maby and out of current arrangement

Correct

Correct

Really going to come out of this as big winners grazing infrastructure all in place for 350 cows topless cubicles just stick a roof over them decent parlour not a huge investment needed by them to finish the job

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

straight wrote: »
    Glanbia must not have liked the facts that it was exposing. Dairy farming is no piece of cake.

Maybe stakeholders in the industry don't want to be too closely associated with jersey or xbred bull calves? I notice they aren't being accepted into the 2020 glanbia/kepak beef club. What is their relevance going forward in the industry and how do they fit in the the image of dairying Ireland is trying to portrait?

Tis a pity as the current man there seems a good lad to continue it

Mooooo wrote: »
    Tis a pity as the current man there seems a good lad to continue it

Got it handy enough so far to be fair, if he had been at the reins at the start of calving 18 it wouldn’t of changed the pr disaster it became.....

• Advertisement

Really going to come out of this as big winners grazing infrastructure all in place for 350 cows topless cubicles just stick a roof over them decent parlour not a huge investment needed by them to finish the job

Why you’d want to saddle yourself with the hassle of having to staff and run the unit though when it was already generating a good income for themselves without having to go near a cow beats me though, glanbia would want to be careful how remaining loans and bills outstanding with the place are handled too if they foot the bill and the farm is handed back debt free they’re would be war

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Got it handy enough so far to be fair, if he had been at the reins at the start of calving 18 it wouldn’t of changed the pr disaster it became.....

Was just looking at the report that was published after last year. It says there was a potential risk to employees from animal handling as there were not enough calving pens for cows during calving and unrestrained cows calving down on the pad. That's shocking from an industry backed project! Low cost should not come before health and safety!

Was just looking at the report that was published after last year. It says there was a potential risk to employees from animal handling as there were not enough calving pens for cows during calving and unrestrained cows calving down on the pad. That's shocking from an industry backed project! Low cost should not come before health and safety!

It was and still always had the potential to be a welfare nightmare for both staff and animals if the wrong weather hit at the wrong time aka spring 18, it said it all the sheer turnover of staff given the pay rates are top drawer and hours worked per week per staff member were very good compared to industry norms, I reckon it was the Bobby calf issue and glanbia probably going introducing mandatory measures reagarding bull calves not been allowed to be disposed of for kebabs is what’s prompted down to cut ties as they couldn’t enforce the above if they where involved with a farm that uses the above method for a large share of its jex bull calves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Got it handy? Got handed a complete mess and had to rectify all the mistakes that were made in the months running up to him taking over.
    Please dont be basing your comments on hear say.
    As for the jex bull calf, there was no calves sent for kebabs from the farm ever I believe.
    Aswel as that the breeding strategy on alot of the teagasc farms this year has changed to reduce the amount of jex and friesan bull calves.
    All heifers are being synced and AId to sexed semen, top 25% of cows are being synced and being AId to sex semen. Rest of the herd is getting beef semen.

Got it handy? Got handed a complete mess and had to rectify all the mistakes that were made in the months running up to him taking over.
    Please dont be basing your comments on hear say.
    As for the jex bull calf, there was no calves sent for kebabs from the farm ever I believe.
    Aswel as that the breeding strategy on alot of the teagasc farms this year has changed to reduce the amount of jex and friesan bull calves.
    All heifers are being synced and AId to sexed semen, top 25% of cows are being synced and being AId to sex semen. Rest of the herd is getting beef semen.

Up on website in a report of 2015 calf destination details that 50 jersey bulls went to factory, bit naive to think that their was buyers for them this year of all years, I’d love to land yourself our the greenfield super manger into a proper war zone of a set-up and calf down 100’s of cows, done a season in one place and you wouldn’t be the better of it physically our mental health wise, easy to dog the previous lad out of it when you weren’t the one having to try and cope with that place last spring

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement