Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Up on website in a report of 2015 calf destination details that 50 jersey bulls went to factory, bit naive to think that their was buyers for them this year of all years, I’d love to land yourself our the greenfield super manger into a proper war zone of a set-up and calf down 100’s of cows, done a season in one place and you wouldn’t be the better of it physically our mental health wise, easy to dog the previous lad out of it when you weren’t the one having to try and cope with that place last spring

Post up the link to that please.
    I'm not dogging anyone, it's the usual crew jumping on the bandwagon as soon as anything goes on in the greenfield.
    I'm not getting into a childish competition about how I've had more hardship than you, I've had plenty.
    Whether you like it or not we have all learned from the place, low cost milk production is not really possible unless you own all your land and owe no loans.
    Everyone says they should have built a shed, feeders, walls etc on day one, there cost of production would be alot higher than the current 33c if they did. Grand to say that when you get handed a farm.from mammy and daddy with all the land debt free and some other loans. Try build up a farm from scratch, buy/rent the land and see how much you build!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I'm not dogging anyone, it's the usual crew jumping on the bandwagon as soon as anything goes on in the greenfield.
    I'm not getting into a childish competition about how I've had more hardship than you, I've had plenty.
    Whether you like it or not we have all learned from the place, low cost milk production is not really possible unless you own all your land and owe no loans.
    Everyone says they should have built a shed, feeders, walls etc on day one, there cost of production would be alot higher than the current 33c if they did. Grand to say that when you get handed a farm.from mammy and daddy with all the land debt free and some other loans. Try build up a farm from scratch, buy/rent the land and see how much you build!

Come on gg lots good lessons learnt from project but place is far exempt from criticism.producing milk low cost was one of big things there and it is now well proven it can’t be done and long term it can’t be done with the facilities that are there shoveling out ****e costs from profit monitors when actual cop is in mid 30s should be fooling no one fact that big time nvestors luke glanbia want out and supposedly farm owners tell a lot perception counts for a lot and farm didn’t come out of last year looking any way good .big turnover of staff dosnt look good either what to do with little jex bulls another poor image especially for investors and general public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Come on gg lots good lessons learnt from project but place is far exempt from criticism.producing milk low cost was one of big things there and it is now well proven it can’t be done and long term it can’t be done with the facilities that are there shoveling out ****e costs from profit monitors when actual cop is in mid 30s should be fooling no one fact that big time nvestors luke glanbia want out and supposedly farm owners tell a lot perception counts for a lot and farm didn’t come out of last year looking any way good .big turnover of staff dosnt look good either what to do with little jex bulls another poor image especially for investors and general public

It was a trial. I found the updates interesting and while it worked well in some ways it showed up a good few flaws too. No need to get into another row over it

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

If glanbia are looking to leave the trial it l be interesting to know what reason is given. If it was shown to be a success Id highly doubt they d be abandoning the project early? The place was set up as a template for low cost milk production. It's not immune from criticism and the recent report has found plenty of flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

wasnt it 2009 it was setup? the economic crash had arrived back then.... would have been alot cheaper to build a shed/cubicles then it would now... they started wit a pad that nearly broke em.. did they ever think that mayb we mite make things comfortable for the cow and she mite pay us bak....... surely this is where money should have been spent... not on wheelbarrows to draw nuts to cows....

the stupidity of some of the practices that went on there was endless

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

wasnt it 2009 it was setup? the economic crash had arrived back then.... would have been alot cheaper to build a shed/cubicles then it would now... they started wit a pad that nearly broke em.. did they ever think that mayb we mite make things comfortable for the cow and she mite pay us bak....... surely this is where money should have been spent... not on wheelbarrows to draw nuts to cows....

the stupidity of some of the practices that went on there was endless

To be saddled with a large debt straight away and still not be able to afford basic parlour feeders, walls on the parlour and enough calving pens to work safely is ridiculous. The hardship of using a wheelbarrow for years for the sake of a few feeders, nah Life is too short for that craic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Got it handy? Got handed a complete mess and had to rectify all the mistakes that were made in the months running up to him taking over.
    You can never really judge someone elses work unless you know the details from both sides in these situations where the job has gone to fudge and big changes were made. The previous guy may have wanted the fancy toys for years that the new management got but had to fall on the sword in order to get it. Like the feeders.
    When a new manager comes in it's easy for everyone else who had input to blame the one who left and absolve themselves of any accountability points in the new regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That's the thing unless all info is known from all sides there can be too much speculation really. Shir how many lads here have had bad spells for whatever reason. Shir feck it we spent years here horsing out ration with buckets and all it did was made me someway fit for football, once feeders went in it was a massive help. But there was debt and a man to be paid and kids to be educated when we were younger so it's easy to say all things like this in hindsight. It's only when you are at it yourself you see all the things you suggest as a youngfella aren't always so straight forward or doable in a short time.
    You would hope glanbia would issue a statement 're their reasoning to put the speculation to bed. It was a partnership first day so there is likely a procedure for its break up. That may be a lesson in itself for any partnerships in formation etc 're having all eventualities covered before getting started at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Glanbia proved that milk cannot be produced at current farm gate price unless farmers supply owned land and own labour at little or no cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I’m absolutely gobsmacked that this project hasn’t been seen through to the original end date as planned

I didn’t agree with a lot of what they were doing but it was interesting to watch

If it does finish does this prove that ultimately it was a failure and that basically it’s nit possible to do what they were trying to do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

Panch18 wrote: »
    I’m absolutely gobsmacked that this project hasn’t been seen through to the original end date as planned

I didn’t agree with a lot of what they were doing but it was interesting to watch

If it does finish does this prove that ultimately it was a failure and that basically it’s nit possible to do what they were trying to do??

Nice to see how they feel about contracts anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    It was a trial. I found the updates interesting and while it worked well in some ways it showed up a good few flaws too. No need to get into another row over it

Sorry Whelan, but it was not a trial...it was a demonstration farm..

This was the opportunity for teagasc staff to put to work, all of the best practice that eminated from their "trials", in a new greenfield structure, to provide us with an ideal...

The Teagasc Greenfield Dairy Programme aims to provide family farmers with the skills and technologies to expand milk production and profitable grow their businesses into the future. At farm level, this will necessitate the adoption of key technologies including high quality pasture management, compact calving, higher stocking rates, high EBI replacement heifer rearing, larger herd management and low cost labour efficient farm infrastructures. At farm level this will only be a success if it is complemented with a detailed 5-year business plan.

There originally were 2 other farms involved in this programme, both (given quota afaik) from which information was to flow????

The critical failing with this, and within our industry as a whole is that we do not give consideration to the full economic cost of production of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »

This was the opportunity for teagasc staff to put to work, all of the best practice that eminated from their "trials", in a new greenfield structure, to provide us with an ideal...

The Teagasc Greenfield Dairy Programme aims to provide family farmers with the skills and technologies to expand milk production and profitable grow their businesses into the future. At farm level, this will necessitate the adoption of key technologies including high quality pasture management, compact calving, higher stocking rates, high EBI replacement heifer rearing, larger herd management and low cost labour efficient farm infrastructures. At farm level this will only be a success if it is complemented with a detailed 5-year business plan.

There originally were 2 other farms involved in this programme, both (given quota afaik) from which information was to flow????

The critical failing with this, and within our industry as a whole is that we do not give consideration to the full economic cost of production of milk.

You can play figures all you like but beef has demonstrated well this year that the cost of production doesn't count but what the market is prepared to pay does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see Dairygold is increasing testing for chlorine in milk to continue their supply to Danone. And Danone takes 15% of their supply.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1121655233518551041?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I see Dairygold is increasing testing for chlorine in milk to continue their supply to Danone. And Danone takes 15% of their supply.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1121655233518551041?s=19

Yeah, this is the txt result we get.
    Edit to add use circodine p in plant with a serpent final rinse and avalkasan in the tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The labor costs relative to liters produced was what really killed that place financially no farm could support 8-10 cent a liter going out the gate in wages alone unless milk price was up in the high 30’s consistently

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The labor costs relative to liters produced was what really killed that place financially no farm could support 8-10 cent a liter going out the gate in wages alone unless milk price was up in the high 30’s consistently

Every owner operated farm has labour costs of 8 to 10 c/l......every single one of them....

Every owner operated farm has labour costs of 8 to 10 c/l......every single one of them....

But not accounted for in published figures ,sure were ejets we work for free !!!

But not accounted for in published figures ,sure were ejets we work for free !!!
    But is accounted for in the current account...

Most 100 cow operators would need and take 50k to live ( tax, repayment, etc)

That's 10c/l

• Advertisement

That's 10c/l

100% agree current account is the one that matters

Would be putting in a million odd liters here with just myself and about the equivalent of half a Labour unit, it’s one area where your higher yielding herd wins hands down once facilities are good to cut down on workload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was the "Winter proofing report" that was carried out by the Canadian dairy experts this spring on Greenfields completed and made public yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone happen to have a stock fr bull for sale that would of been tb tested within the last 30days?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭farisfat

I think greenfield achieved what it set out to do......which was to create alot of hype about dairy expansion and green field sites and it's got lots to follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone happen to have a stock fr bull for sale that would of been tb tested within the last 30days?

Try stanfit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Timmaay wrote: »

How about a nice aubrac x angus to put a bit of backbone in your jerxs. Can't guarantee that the calves won't have a jersey snout on them though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

blue5000 wrote: »
    How about a nice aubrac x angus to put a bit of backbone in your jerxs. Can't guarantee that the calves won't have a jersey snout on them though.

Would like to chance a few aubracs myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Was in this farm a couple of days ago buying a few cows. Farm is for sale. 400ha in 2 blocks. Home block is 300ha with 100ha block 2km away.
    Good sound land close to Rennes.
    Looking for €3mln. Includes all machinery but no livestock. Producing 2.3mln litres p.a.
    24x24 Boumatic milking parlor installed in 2015.
    230 cubicles, autoscrapers and full facilities for young stock.
    Self propelled RMH diet feeder 14cube.
    5 Fendt tractors, oldest is 5yrs.
    All other machinery included in sale. Combine is 50% share with neighbor.

Maybe better value than Greenfield...?

More.

Last photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

That's 10c/l

that c/l figure would depend on how much milk those cows are producing... there is a huge difference in yields between some 100 cows herds in this country... just flick thru the IHFA spring journal that arrived in the last few days... and look at the production figures of that guy in Cork that runs 'Radney Holsteins'...

Last photo.

Any pics of the land?:D

Just had milk collection here, about 2 hours late. Charleville has a drier down and some milk diverted to Listowel. Intakes closed from 6 to 3 intakes because no storage on site so lorries will do it cheaper.

So collections today will be a few hours later than normal.

For anybody that is interested, the link in the tweet below will download a copy of the program notes from the Grass10 walk in McNamaras farm yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1121726918636777472?s=19

straight wrote: »
    Would like to chance a few aubracs myself.

Tried them and won’t go back easy calving short gestation but calves are pure thick ,selling as calves only small money due to je apoerance ,really need to be kept till 15/16 months minimum or finish them yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Tried them and won’t go back easy calving short gestation but calves are pure thick ,selling as calves only small money due to je apoerance ,really need to be kept till 15/16 months minimum or finish them yourself
    Heard they can down tools and stop drinking at 5 days old

kevthegaff wrote: »

Thickest calves I ever had prefer die than suck a teat feeder ,there hardy tho

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Was in this farm a couple of days ago buying a few cows. Farm is for sale. 400ha in 2 blocks. Home block is 300ha with 100ha block 2km away.
    Looking for €3mln. Includes all machinery but no livestock. Producing 2.3mln litres p.a.

Any links to sites where places like that are advertised?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I see an aubrac bull with fr heifers outside Nenagh. What were the au x heifers like? Agree with you, anything that looks a bit different has to be finished to make a few yoyo. No bucket feeding here.;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

blue5000 wrote: »
    I see an aubrac bull with fr heifers outside Nenagh. What were the au x heifers like? Agree with you, anything that looks a bit different has to be finished to make a few yoyo. No bucket feeding here.;)

Bought 4 aubrac heifers this year at 10-21 days old. They are easy bought in the mart. Only cost €30,€60,€90 and €95 each. Smashing calves now. Lovely thick square heifers. Had no issues getting them sucking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

that c/l figure would depend on how much milk those cows are producing... there is a huge difference in yields between some 100 cows herds in this country... just flick thru the IHFA spring journal that arrived in the last few days... and look at the production figures of that guy in Cork that runs 'Radney Holsteins'...

From seeing plenty of pm figures over the years, a high yeilding system will definitely give plenty more litres, but in many cases this still translates into a similar overall profit level, when all the extra inputs, labour etc is taken into account (and that's putting a realistic value on the labour), A very well run 6000l grass system seems to be the sweet spot I think, but you obviously also have some very very profitable and well run farms on both extremes of the yeild scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A group of farmers are willing to take over Glanbia's share of Greenfield - https://www.farmersjournal.ie/greenfield-farmers-group-willing-to-take-on-farm-459741

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

kevthegaff wrote: »

I'd say there's something else up there.

I've had an Aubrac bull for a good few years and used a few different AI straws too, never had any problems feeding, generally brighter than HE and very quick to drink, similar to AA. Born handy but turn inside out and you can see the quality after 3-4 weeks if they get a good run. Make 150-250 for heifers and 200-300 for bulls, and some would be off kiwi x cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

€7500/Ha? Is that normal in France?
    That doesn't seem right for a dairy/arable farm with buildings and machinery? Is there a lot of forestry or something?
    €3m wouldn't buy you 120Ha here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

€7500/Ha? Is that normal in France?
    That doesn't seem right for a dairy/arable farm with buildings and machinery? Is there a lot of forestry or something?
    €3m wouldn't buy you 120Ha here.

I've a relation moved out and bought a farm in France lately.
    3k/acre I think is the rumours of the deal.
    Machinery and sheds included.
    Not sure about the stock on the farm.

There's seemingly not the same murder your neighbour over an acre attitude over there as here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I've had an Aubrac bull for a good few years and used a few different AI straws too, never had any problems feeding, generally brighter than HE and very quick to drink, similar to AA. Born handy but turn inside out and you can see the quality after 3-4 weeks if they get a good run. Make 150-250 for heifers and 200-300 for bulls, and some would be off kiwi x cows.

I have been using Aubrac bulls for four years, AI and natural service. All are easily born and lively. Turn inside out after three weeks of milk.I don’t think I have ever had to treat an aubrac calf for anything and in my experience they’d suck the chrome off a ball hitch. I have two two year olds this year to tidy up heifers and cows.

Fairly impartial summary of the place their, glossing over alot of issues and the state of the finances of the place and where it’s at now isn’t been made readily available for the past year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ozil10

I have been using Aubrac bulls for four years, AI and natural service. All are easily born and lively. Turn inside out after three weeks of milk.I don’t think I have ever had to treat an aubrac calf for anything and in my experience they’d suck the chrome off a ball hitch. I have two two year olds this year to tidy up heifers and cows.
    I have aubrac bulls the last two years.
    Fine looking calves but a pain in the hole to rear.
    Very poor to drink
    What breed aubrac bulls do you have
    Mine were off Dolby and Capatain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement