Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Fine atm but growth slower than I'd like. Hopefully get a good shot of rain over the next few days and a bit of heat after that. Put the last split on the silage ground the last few days and the heavy ground is motoring on while the dry ground has slowed a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    How are ye for grass?

Tight enough here, between 1st cut, maize and abit of a reseed I'm stocked at 4lu/ha, which is a demand of around 65, and growth barely matching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Stocked at 4.5/ha here. It's going to be tight until I get to aftergrass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Last cow finally calved. Bull broke back in last year to push this one out but the last two before her were the 22 and 26 April with a gap to them. Aim to finish calving the second week of April next year all going well. 11 days in over half the cow's served

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Ai man was saying this morning he hasn't used one jersey straw this year yet.

My area wouldn’t use jersey straws ever

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

simx wrote: »
    My area wouldn’t use jersey straws ever

Local Ai man said he has used a good bit more Jex thus year that last. That could be a West Cork thing tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://go.alltech.com/webinar-beat-the-drop?fbclid=IwAR2WAIpqacappnWWfrblvCgz22tV8zNcHnh4HWEV2E-nELOcg2QeLrbxSHc

That lad might be worth a listen to, one of the top dairy scientists in the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

https://go.alltech.com/webinar-beat-the-drop?fbclid=IwAR2WAIpqacappnWWfrblvCgz22tV8zNcHnh4HWEV2E-nELOcg2QeLrbxSHc

I was actually on the missigan state university dairy farm (ex used to study there ) nice setup, just remember students with the radio blaring while milking, extreme holsteins but nice setup.

Anyone feeding meal thru dairymaster feeders? Currently feeding nuts worried meal may block up. Have the thing on the top of the bin to keep it mixed going into the bin, assuming it comes out of the lorry that way of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anyone feeding meal thru dairymaster feeders? Currently feeding nuts worried meal may block up. Have the thing on the top of the bin to keep it mixed going into the bin, assuming it comes out of the lorry that way of course

Once there's not too much molasses in it, it should work away no bother. Got meal delivered instead of nuts a few months ago and the augers actually went better than with the nuts. 35 year old Orby augers and cashman feeders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

All silage finished for now bar a lash of bales.
    Eight pits covered...another fcuking bank holiday tomorrow, so no staff.

Thursday starting on spreading fym on that land for maize, sunflowers and sorghum.

Mooooo wrote: »

There's something registering at the back of my head about no more than 2% molasses in meal for their augers and feeders to stay working but I've never chanced meal since I've put them in tbh.

Best bet would be to give them a shout first and check the upper limit of molasses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Maize finished last night around 2am!, and reseeding just finished now. Bring on this miserable dirty wet day tomorrow please!

So we finally got the calf feeders going today, after much discussions. We have auto registration of the calves so once they come in for the first feed, they are registered on the system, in for registration, out to confirm an back in again to feed. We put 20 calves on it today with a few minor mistakes made that I'll have to sort tomorrow. They're all on day 30 of the programme so we'll have to put the correct ages on them but there's no great rush with that.

Fed as normal this morning an started putting them in around 12. Most drank a liter or two and all those in after dinner drank their two liters. All had drank after milking this evening so I'll run the shy ones into it after milking in the morning.

We have two pens of weaned calves waiting to be moved so they're making things a bit complicated but we'll move them in the morning and register the youngest 30 then once they can get into the oldest calves pens.

It should be interesting to see how many are waiting to be fed in the morning.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Maize finished last night around 2am!, and reseeding just finished now. Bring on this miserable dirty wet day tomorrow please!

It's here today down here but damn cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

prime time now on the cruelty to exported calves ,
    that's all we need now and Teagasc rushing out today changing breeding strategy once again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Prime time was a fair balls.

I see Pallaskenry Ag college now using a Limousin bull to clean up there maiden heifers after using fixed time AI, big move :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

what was his solution . hay? silage?

Beef breeds won't solve the issue overnight. The factories and their bolixing have always been part of the issue. Perfect storm of brexit and numbers. Sent aa calves to mart Mon. Because they couldn't go for export the bulls made 80 to 100 the heifers made 30, and haulier reckons they didn't cop the bulls weren't allowed for export. Calves were 3 weeks old. Exports are putting a base in the market. These weren't off xbred cow's either. Had enquiries from mayo one year looking for calves as the man had bought them a number of years back and using them for suckler replacements .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Out of curiosity is there any sort of maternity leave for a female dairy Farmer (i.e subsistence to pay relief milker?). Playing with going back dairying on home farm but as a 26yo female it's not really an option if have to get relief milker for majority of milkings for 3-6months per child

Out of curiosity is there any sort of maternity leave for a female dairy Farmer (i.e subsistence to pay relief milker?). Playing with going back dairying on home farm but as a 26yo female it's not really an option if have to get relief milker for majority of milkings for 3-6months per child

Check with an accountant but any self employed reliefs Would be available to farmers, I don't know myself. I know self employed used to get f all but that is changing a bit. Whelan may know more maybe?

Mooooo wrote:
    Check with an accountant but any self employed reliefs Would be available to farmers, I don't know myself. I know self employed used to get f all but that is changing a bit. Whelan may know more maybe?

Thanks. Will be in with IFAC in next couple of weeks to begin setting up partnership so will check it out then. Was just looking to see if anyone here has been there before etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Thanks. Will be in with IFAC in next couple of weeks to begin setting up partnership so will check it out then. Was just looking to see if anyone here has been there before etc.

Don't be getting your hopes up. Self employed don't get them perks.

straight wrote: »
    Don't be getting your hopes up. Self employed don't get them perks.

I got maternity pay on all my kids. Was something like 220 a week but last child is 11 tomorrow so it should be more now

Realistically I stopped milking the day before each child was born and was back about 10 days after. Except on first child were I was very ill after. Had section on each.

• Advertisement

oxjkqg wrote: »

I see Pallaskenry Ag college now using a Limousin bull to clean up there maiden heifers after using fixed time AI, big move :eek:

What did they use to clean up last year?

whelan2 wrote:
    I got maternity pay on all my kids. Was something like 220 a week but last child is 11 tomorrow so it should be more now

whelan2 wrote:
    Realistically I stopped milking the day before each child was born and was back about 10 days after. Except on first child were I was very ill after. Had section on each.

Thanks Whelan. Again I've never been pregnant or haven't been on a dairy farm in over ten years (young teen) so very early days yet but this info is very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What did they use to clean up last year?

You've gone from sections to cleaning up with bulls in 2 consecutive posts. :rolleyes:
    A bit early in the morning to be reading stuff like that.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You were lucky, I had a hernia repair six mths ago and the doctor told me a few days ago that I'd be facing it again as the hernia was back..
    Really pissed me off as when I was in Newzealand the rest of the group were jumping out of planes and going mad on speedboats (Keepgrowing included) while I was lying by the hotel pool minding myself :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kerry cow wrote: »
    prime time now on the cruelty to exported calves ,
    that's all we need now and Teagasc rushing out today changing breeding strategy once again .

The 360 u-tun they have made is comparable to the Jews suddenly believing Jesus existed, it’s ridiclous their stance at the minute and simply moronic

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    You were lucky, I had a hernia repair six mths ago and the doctor told me a few days ago that I'd be facing it again as the hernia was back..
    Really pissed me off as when I was in Newzealand the rest of the group were jumping out of planes and going mad on speedboats (Keepgrowing included) while I was lying by the hotel pool minding myself :mad:
    Youth was on my side plus I hate being stuck in the house :)

Tis always pissing rain when the crush is full for ai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Youth was on my side plus I hate being stuck in the house :)

I took parental leave a couple of times, unpaid from work. I forget whether I got dole or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

oxjkqg wrote: »

One young bull with 90 Heifers, lol. Thell kill the poor bugger. But yes it's a good move and going to be more popular going forward I think.

Cows started coughing here this last few days, ordered eprinex today. Normally wouldn't have to do them this early but I suppose they went out earlier this year. Anyone else dose them yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

But yes it's a good move and going to be more popular going forward I think.

Limousin with heifers? Jesus no.

Experimentation is that. Expensive experimentation.

Limousin with heifers? Jesus no.

Experimentation is that. Expensive experimentation.

Be no bother calving at all I bet, they have good size cows. Feel sorry for the one bull though it's not enough for that many.

Be no bother calving at all I bet, they have good size cows. Feel sorry for the one bull though it's not enough for that many.

Been there with limousin with cows and never again. Let alone on heifers.

They'll end up jacking and dead heifers and fecking up a compact calving period with heifers taking longer to calve down in their second lactation.
    I suppose everyone needs experience to learn.

They'll end up jacking and dead heifers and fecking up a compact calving period with heifers taking longer to calve down in their second lactation.

Iirc, all the heifers were syncronised so the damage should be minimal.

Hopefully.

But sometimes the best lessons learned are the hardest earned.

Iirc, all the heifers were syncronised so the damage should be minimal.

Hopefully.

But sometimes the best lessons learned are the hardest earned.

I haven't used a jack this year myself and only once last year.
    I endeavour to never use it again and going by those students reactions from ucd. I reckon I could be on the right track.

Totally agree with you on the best lessons. Especially with a thick eejit as myself. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

whelan2 wrote:
    Cows started coughing here this last few days, ordered eprinex today. Normally wouldn't have to do them this early but I suppose they went out earlier this year. Anyone else dose them yet?

Sent a sample away last week, should have results by Friday. Vet saying he's had a couple people bringing in samples this week so something is definitely there.

Depends on the breeding of the bull though. If you bought a tvr lim bull you'd be in for some hardship. Eby, lodge hamlet are a different ball game, small at birth short gestation etc. Two lads beside me run lim bulls for years on dairy Heifers and cows with no issues. One has a Holstein type and the other has a bf X Monti cow type. Both bring the males to 30 months and finish and sell the heifers at 4/5 weeks old for good money.

Thought it might be a good time to post up a Cellcheck tweet with a link to the latest newsletter.
    https://twitter.com/animalhealthire/status/1126133006194946050?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Have you tried epricis? We used it last year and wont be using anything other than it again

Have you tried epricis? We used it last year and wont be using anything other than it again

There's an offer on eprinex apparently at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

There's an offer on eprinex apparently at the moment

I felt cows did alot better on the epricis last year compared to when we used eprinex.
    I injected them in the crush as they were milked, took no longer than the pour on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I felt cows did alot better on the epricis last year compared to when we used eprinex.
    I injected them in the crush as they were milked, took no longer than the pour on

I was talking to a couple of people that used it & they're of the same opinion as yourself, .. won't be using pour on again.

Don't have much issues here as we try to build up immunity in the first year . Usually only do the first calvers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Sent a sample away last week, should have results by Friday. Vet saying he's had a couple people bringing in samples this week so something is definitely there.

Will lungworm show up on a test? I thought you had to flush out lungs themselves to see worms.

Did Tommy the vet say lungworm was showing early this year or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Had limousin bull here for six years with the heifers and had no problems.
    Have had more trouble with fr test bulls.

• Advertisement

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Had limousin bull here for six years with the heifers and had no problems.
    Have had more trouble with fr test bulls.

With the freisians I buy as calves. And only buy a calf that was born by itself with no intervention. You need the honesty of the farmer though. There is a square type freisian that can be born itself.
    I'd find it hard now to going back to buying a dairy bull at a bull sale or even Ai.
    Some of the Holstein genetics were killers too.
    Minerals and silage to the cow would nearly be on a par as genetics as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement