Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

See no more rain on the horizon, would it be ok to spread urea today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

kevthegaff wrote: »

I'll be spreading it anyway, might get a bit this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Off to spread some now lack of rain going to become an issue ,we need a good drop and soon

Was going to spread paddocks in front of cows with covers

Was going to spread paddocks in front of cows with covers

I’m getting fresh grass samples of grass tested every Monday and advice I’m given is not to do that ,will give high milk urea readings which could/will lead to embryonic death .spreading after cows at rate of no more than 20 units n per acre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Off to spread some now lack of rain going to become an issue ,we need a good drop and soon

Have you not got much rwi. This last while?

I’m getting fresh grass samples of grass tested every Monday and advice I’m given is not to do that ,will give high milk urea readings which could/will lead to embryonic death .spreading after cows at rate of no more than 20 units n per acre

With urea you may get away with a day or two ahead as it will take that long in perfect conditions to become available to the plant, some say maybe 5 days I think? Agree tho will follow cow's herein the main as well, Prob spread once a week or thereabouts

whelan2 wrote: »

Rwi,presume rain no nothing worthwhile for as long as I Can remember thought we’d get 10 plus mm yesterday it was spitting rain most of day but bitting east /north wind as well .not hitting growth yet but it will unless we get some soon .ground water well levels would be a concern as well

Rwi,presume rain no nothing worthwhile for as long as I Can remember thought we’d get 10 plus mm yesterday it was spitting rain most of day but bitting east /north wind as well .not hitting growth yet but it will unless we get some soon .ground water well levels would be a concern as well

Jaysus it's a strange wee country. Can't get into fields here now without 4wd

Pure shame to be looking for rain this early alright ive 10 acres of very heavy ground that a keltec bale carrier got bogged in last June and it’s as dry now as it was last September mostcyears I would have to get stock off this ground by mid October and I’d do well to travel it again till late April or May

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Fair sup of rain in East Wicklow
    70mm in last 3 weeks
    8 yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Spreading protected urea here at the min. But yeh mj more rain always welcome here ha, got a useful 10ish mm the last 30hrs at least though.

Got feck all here also ground is rock hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

bending the pigtails here... admit it's on gravely soil but very dry, growth not mighty but at least every blade of grass is being used.

orm0nd wrote: »
    bending the pigtails here... admit it's on gravely soil but very dry, growth not mighty but at least every blade of grass is being used.

Walked the farm this morning. It is wet. Growth is very slow on recently grazed paddocks. A bit of sun would do a world of good. Are ye getting sun or is it the wind that's drying the land out?

orm0nd wrote: »

That was us about 4wks ago! Thankfully came right since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

There's an offer on eprinex apparently at the moment

Over 100 Euro dearer than the similarly oil based zeromectin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

On pallaskenry .
    They've used fixed time Ai so one presumes that short gest dairy straws used.
    And now they've gone and pushed their repeats out further. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

On pallaskenry .
    They've used fixed time Ai so one presumes that short gest dairy straws used.
    And now they've gone and pushed their repeats out further. Mad stuff.

Does something come down from head office about beef from the dairy herd? Like that if its an experiment what harm will it do. It'll keep someone in work writing a report next year if nothing else.

23.5 litres
    1.8kg/ms I think!
    3kg 16% hi maize
    Just grass then.
    Don't measure but happy with grass before and after the cows. Stocked at 4.5/ha on milking platform. That's all the platform no silage is taking from it normally, an odd paddock that's all.
    Silage next week
    All surplus calves sold /given away!
    Bulls with cows.
    On look out for a few ai bred heifer calves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

visatorro wrote: »
    Does something come down from head office about beef from the dairy herd? Like that if its an experiment what harm will it do. It'll keep someone in work writing a report next year if nothing else.

They finish most steers also I think so it's probably going to connect into that. I think it's a good move and more positive than the usual pushing NZ style he system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

visatorro wrote: »
    23.5 litres
    1.8kg/ms I think!
    3kg 16% hi maize
    Just grass then.
    Don't measure but happy with grass before and after the cows. Stocked at 4.5/ha on milking platform. That's all the platform no silage is taking from it normally, an odd paddock that's all.
    Silage next week
    All surplus calves sold /given away!
    Bulls with cows.
    On look out for a few ai bred heifer calves!

Is it 4.5 all year? Fair going with no grass measuring!

Just cause a lad dosnt grass measure the conventional way (measure ,figures ,wedges )dosnt mean he or she is poor at it I know one or 2 lads that don’t do it but walk paddocks and react to what’s staring at them.

Just cause a lad dosnt grass measure the conventional way (measure ,figures ,wedges )dosnt mean he or she is poor at it I know one or 2 lads that don’t do it but walk paddocks and react to what’s staring at them.

I did a walk today. Didn't measure but know now where I'm going for the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Same here, eyeballing the grass, just not putting a figure on it.

I did a walk today. Didn't measure but know now where I'm going for the next week.

The only place I'm going is into the 1st cut for afew days ha.

straight wrote: »
    Same here, eyeballing the grass, just not putting a figure on it.

Going to get young lad to do it in future. He can come with me a few times and has the basics from college

50% winter milk here, start in November so start drying off in late August September. Normally feeding silage in September as well and would feed well into April. Not text book but it is what it is. Milkers would be housed in early November.

It can be easier to manage stronger growth rates when higher stocked.

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    It can be easier to manage stronger growth rates when higher stocked.

As long as you have something to feed when there's no growth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

So we finally got the calf feeders going today, after much discussions. We have auto registration of the calves so once they come in for the first feed, they are registered on the system, in for registration, out to confirm an back in again to feed. We put 20 calves on it today with a few minor mistakes made that I'll have to sort tomorrow. They're all on day 30 of the programme so we'll have to put the correct ages on them but there's no great rush with that.

Fed as normal this morning an started putting them in around 12. Most drank a liter or two and all those in after dinner drank their two liters. All had drank after milking this evening so I'll run the shy ones into it after milking in the morning.

We have two pens of weaned calves waiting to be moved so they're making things a bit complicated but we'll move them in the morning and register the youngest 30 then once they can get into the oldest calves pens.

It should be interesting to see how many are waiting to be fed in the morning.

JFC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

JFC?

No, Delaval:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

No, Delaval:mad:

How's it going for you. I'm on the look out for a 2nd hand one for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

Timmaay wrote: »
    Spreading protected urea here at the min. But yeh mj more rain always welcome here ha, got a useful 10ish mm the last 30hrs at least though.

How much is the protected urea working out at a tonne? Is it still 46 units ?

straight wrote: »
    How's it going for you. I'm on the look out for a 2nd hand one for next year

It's going OK so far. We had problems yesterday as there was two powerwashers going full time from 8am to 8pm so there was a lack of water all day and roaring calves until about 12 but OK this morning again.

There's a huge amount of stuff to read through in the manual and it's not written for easy reading but I'll have more time this coming week to sort out a good bit. Main thing is it's feeding the calves I want it to feed atm.

Just be aware if you're going to use etags rather than collars that most have the readers on the left so you'll have to sample on the right and etag on the left. Nobody told me so they had to change the reader to the other side.

And getting parts can be an issue as they don't seem to keep much other than teats in stock locally.

• Advertisement

mengele wrote: »
    How much is the protected urea working out at a tonne? Is it still 46 units ?

425e/ton for proper KAN that is 46%, could of got 40%+6%s of some other protected urea for 390 but gone out with a reasonable whack of sulphur already here.

Dairygold sent a letter out offering another change to the winter scheme, I'd say they didn't get enough lads to tie into what was offered earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I never said he was poor at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I was away for a few days when I got a call from the AFB (Agence Française Biodiversité) or ‘ the biodiversity police’ as they’re commonly known.
    They called and arrested a sprayer operator on Friday. Poor lad is Aussie with very little french and wasn’t able to account for himself so they took him into custody.

We sprayed off a field alongside a small meandering river because it was bad with thistles, and thistles are considered like ragwort. So, sprayed it off with roundup in Feb.
    The spray breached the 9m ntz by 1m, twice.
    The trout fishing season opened on Wed last and a fisherman lodged a complaint on Thur, so all hell broke loose on Fri.

Now, I gave a 2m band along that river for the public to walk and fish with ease. That band was 2km long and seeing that’s its right next to the village, it has been incorporated into a 5km and a 8km walking loop. I also gave the fishing community an acre for to make a lake from that same river for raising trout fry...

Informed this morning that they’ll be trying to take my ‘droite de exploitation’ (right to farm) from me because I’m already a convicted polluter...lovely.

Ye have NO idea what strict regulation is!

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was away for a few days when I got a call from the AFB (Agence Française Biodiversité) or ‘ the biodiversity police’ as they’re commonly known.
    They called and arrested a sprayer operator on Friday. Poor lad is Aussie with very little french and wasn’t able to account for himself so they took him into custody.

We sprayed off a field alongside a small meandering river because it was bad with thistles, and thistles are considered like ragwort. So, sprayed it off with roundup in Feb.
    The trout fishing season opened on Wed last and a fisherman lodged a complaint on Thur, so all hell broke loose on Fri.

Now, I gave a 2m band along that river for the public to walk and fish with ease. That band was 2km long and seeing that’s its right next to the village, it has been incorporated into a 5km and a 8km walking loop. I also gave the fishing community an acre for to make a lake from that same river for raising trout fry...

Informed this morning that they’ll be trying to take my ‘droite de exploitation’ (right to farm) from me because I’m already a convicted polluter...lovely.

Rant over.

Jaysus. If, ya get away with this I'd be closing that walking loop! And no more fishing folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

You should have used Thistlex... thats what we use in Ireland...

Rant over.

No good deed goes unpunished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Rant over.
    Sweet mother of christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jaysus. If, ya get away with this I'd be closing that walking loop! And no more fishing folks

****ing sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm now the unofficial representative of Irish dairy farmers in California. :D

There's just been a Californian dairy farmer milking 6000 cows in the pit of my parlour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

I'm now the unofficial representative of Irish dairy farmers in California. :D

There's just been a Californian dairy farmer milking 6000 cows in the pit of my parlour. :)

Did he bring the cows with him?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

We had a cross compliance inspection today. The oul boy was exactly like the guy in this clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHhUh9cI7_4

Second cut mowed and tedded out. Start picking up in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Did he bring the cows with him?;)

No he didn't but I was very cagey.

They were a walk in couple who stopped and came in when the cows were coming in across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

We had a cross compliance inspection today. The oul boy was exactly like the guy in this clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHhUh9cI7_4

Second cut mowed and tedded out. Start picking up in the morning.

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement