Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Four cars pulled in just now...unannounced.
    Medicines, eat tags, etc inspection. They even have binoculars for checking animals that are outdoors.
    So it begins.

Dawg feels old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Medicines, eat tags, etc inspection. They even have binoculars for checking animals that are outdoors.
    So it begins.

Dawg feels old.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Offer them a cuppa and a few ham sandwiches to keep them sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So it begins.

Dawg feels old.

Sounds like a Stasi raid tbh. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Offer them a cuppa and a few ham sandwiches to keep them sweet

Put some poitin in their tea. Good luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

All they could find was insufficient facilities for sterilizing needles and two animals missing tags but they were already on order...
    They also spent a lot of time measuring housing and stock density in those houses. New legislation also means that animals must have adequate shelter from rain and sun...outdoor cubicles?

They insisted that someone accompany them until I said I’d be invoicing them at €250/hr.

First inspection of many more to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

no wonder the french farmers protest

PMU wrote: »
    no wonder the french farmers protest

French farmers are very badly served by their unions.
    The French unions are self serving and only interested in lining their pockets and increasing their own personal holdings.
    The grants (etc) that the IFA (etc) secure from the Irish Gov are extraordinary and could only be dreamed of by French farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

French farmers are very badly served by their unions.
    The French unions are self serving and only interested in lining their pockets and increasing their own personal holdings.
    The grants (etc) that the IFA (etc) secure from the Irish Gov are extraordinary and could only be dreamed of by French farmers.

++++1
    After BPM farce, farmers might learn that 1) changing the world market is impossible and 2) leave the lobbying to the experts

Meetings on derogation happening in the next week or two, anyone in it be no harm to attend. Macroom 2moro night

Beef plan are after securing a support package from europe for 100m. Fair play to them

straight wrote: »
    Beef plan are after securing a support package from europe for 100m. Fair play to them

,they've done nothing.....pathetic,
    Did their best to stop it maybe.
    They're only messers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

IFA: IFA campaign secures a Brexit beef fund of up to €100m. See Today's Farmers Journal for further info.

Was it not IFA?

IFA: IFA campaign secures a Brexit beef fund of up to €100m. See Today's Farmers Journal for further info.

Was it not IFA?

Sure everyone will take credit for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was it not IFA?

I thought it was Leo Varadkar, Mairead McGuinness and Phil Hogan?

I helped too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Tis like when the castleisland bypass was opened. Jackie, Michael and Danny Healy Rae were all claiming credit for getting it done, so the locals christened it the Triple bypass!

whelan2 wrote: »
    I helped too :)

Me too

Apparently we've got it wrong all these years, it seems we were supposed to be holding a whingefest twice a month over the long nights of the winter to get results.
    Was securing Brexit Compensation even part of the beef plan, I thought the plan was to take control of the processors, That worked well,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

100000000÷75000=1333.33

If €1300 is going to make or break a farm then it's a result. If not it's just what it seems to be i.e. a pr exercise.

100000000÷75000=1333.33

If €1300 is going to make or break a farm then it's a result. If not it's just what it seems to be i.e. a pr exercise.

but if they pay 130 on every finished animal since Christmas it'll be a result, it's the winter finishers that took the biggest hit, those selling stores at the moment certainly don't have the same pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

wrangler wrote: »
    but if they pay 130 on every finished animal since Christmas it'll be a result, it's the winter finishers that took the biggest hit, those selling stores at the moment certainly don't have the same pressure

That's it. Pay it on stock killed between December and April and be done with it. It'll only go towards paying the losses left by those cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

wrangler wrote: »

That'll do me. €400 or so. I know another lad who'll be in for €350,000 or so on that scheme. He'll be happy enough as well I'm sure.

That'll do me. €400 or so. I know another lad who'll be in for €350,000 or so on that scheme. He'll be happy enough as well I'm sure.

IFA put in a submission detailing the losses at €100m so your friend probably needs it all to face his bank.
    There's very few winter finishing so payments will be high if its paid like that.
    Lads at the beef meeting in Portlaoise were claiming losses of €250/hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭alps

And back to dairying....

Cows averaging 29litres...we now have ample grass...

How much meal can I cut back to? What can a cow eat in terms of grass, and how much can that max intake produce?

alps wrote: »
    And back to dairying....

How much meal can I cut back to? What can a cow eat in terms of grass, and how much can that max intake produce?

Are you buffering or straight nuts in parlor?

Was it not IFA?

Nice dollar considering that Brexit hasn’t even happened yet.

I sent a truck load of bulls last week...all R’s and got €3.54 all in.
    Would that qualify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

And back to dairying....

FYI

mahoney_j wrote: »
    FYI

FYI

• Advertisement

Are you buffering or straight nuts in parlor?

Parlour only..

mahoney_j wrote: »
    FYI

Cheers Mahoney.....screenshoted

Cheers Mahoney.....screenshoted

Average yield in group is 28.6, average meal is 2.7kg, if I'm taken out the meal would prob fall to closer to 2. Facilitator reckons lads are starting to graze covers too high and that'll cost litres also so saying to act faster to get the grass right.
    2 lads with the highest milk solids are feeding 1 and 2 respectively. Rel. mature herds I think.
    When lads are feeding 3kg less than you and matching or beating the output you start scratching the ceann alright

Mooooo wrote: »
    Average yield in group is 28.6, average meal is 2.7kg, if I'm taken out the meal would prob fall to closer to 2. Facilitator reckons lads are starting to graze covers too high and that'll cost litres also so saying to act faster to get the grass right.
    2 lads with the highest milk solids are feeding 1 and 2 respectively. Rel. mature herds I think.
    When lads are feeding 3kg less than you and matching or beating the output you start scratching the ceann alright
    Be a longer steadier peak and more solids sold at end of year thon

Parlour only..

Holsteins would need 6kgs of a hi-energy nut, minimum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Is there any problem with feeding Lamlac to calves?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Holsteins would need 6kgs of a hi-energy nut, minimum.

Oof.....shirt collar just tightened....

greysides wrote: »
    Is there any problem with feeding Lamlac to calves?

Nope.
    Reduce concentration by 10-15%.

I’ve put a good few tons of it into calves with an autofeeder. Puts a back on them and a serious shine.

I wouldn’t take my word on it.

Quick tot up this morning and at that rate I’d be using 2t/day...’are you buying or selling milk’ comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

8-12kgs going in here with an average of 9.5kgs feed, once theirs 4 liters of milk out the gate for every 1kg of meal feed I’m happy

jaymla627 wrote: »
    8-12kgs going in here with an average of 9.5kgs feed, once theirs 4 liters of milk out the gate for every 1kg of meal feed I’m happy

1t/100hd/day.

Your friendly merchant should be throwing you a few quid for the ski holiday.

30.4L here and cows getting 5kgdm sorghum silage.
    1kg hay.
    3kgdm maize crimp.
    All homegrown thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1t/100hd/day.

Your friendly merchant should be throwing you a few quid for the ski holiday.

30.4L here and cows getting 5kgdm sorghum silage.
    1kg hay.
    3kgdm maize crimp.
    All homegrown thankfully.

The comical thing is apparently meal is a tiny margin business and all the merchants are up in arms with the glanbia loyalty scheme that they can't complete against. As fair as I'm concerned meal is simply to fill a hole in your grass wedge, and help balance up likes of fibre, fats for when the cows on lush grass, anything else yes you'll get more litres but glanbia are the only winners.

Timmaay wrote: »
    The comical thing is apparently meal is a tiny margin business and all the merchants are up in arms with the glanbia loyalty scheme that they can't complete against. As fair as I'm concerned meal is simply to fill a hole in your grass wedge, and help balance up likes of fibre, fats for when the cows on lush grass, anything else yes you'll get more litres but glanbia are the only winners.

But glanbia are not cheaper even with the loyalty scheme.

Timmaay wrote: »

Tiny margin business?
    My eye!

Talk about food miles...
    The majority of ingredients in your typical hi-energy nut comes from genetically modified grains that are imported from half way around the planet.
    Then, my feed comes from within the farm, is converted into baby formula 5miles from the farm, and then sent half way around the planet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Oh don't worry I agree with everything you say there dwag, in the process of converting soya from South America into baby infant formula on the Chinese shelves a hell of alot of people make very good money along that chain, however the farmer absolutely is not one of them! However my point was more about the smaller local mills, with whom if you a small farmer calls up looking for 5t of nuts blown in, they don't make them up themselves, they simply order straight from whatever big factory they are made in, either they are tipped in their yard then moved onto your yard, or they come straight from the factory to your yard, in either case there isn't much margin in it for them, on pure economics of scale, ie 5t isn't worth the bolloxing about, especially if the farmer then decides not to pay the merchant until 6months later ha.

• Advertisement

Cops are charging an €80 margin to the unsuspecting farmer at present...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Nope.
    Reduce concentration by 10-15%.

I’ve put a good few tons of it into calves with an autofeeder. Puts a back on them and a serious shine.

Thanks.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Cops are charging an €80 margin to the unsuspecting farmer at present...

€80Margin?? On a tonne of feed? Impossible. They’ve to pay for raw materials, compounding and transport. Am I missing something?

Last nights milk line washings went into the tank. Rince, acid, rince.
    About 10k litres of milk in the tank and about 150L water and a half litre of acid...what to do?

Failed to contact Coop, then again it is a Saturday morning and what eegits would be working at 6am?

Suggestions?

C4d78 wrote: »
    €80Margin?? On a tonne of feed? Impossible. They’ve to pay for raw materials, compounding and transport. Am I missing something?

It’s called a good margin.
    Farmers wouldn’t be too acquainted with such things.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement