Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One sheet is fine with some tyres 30% on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »

In case that Tweet got lonely.
    Here's a comrade for it.

https://twitter.com/kulmweatherman/status/1132991763164139521?s=20

Click on the tweet for more such news..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

alps wrote: »
    Thing everyone that can should hedge now....it couldn't be cheaper than what it is at the moment..

Sorry for being slow. But how could a farmer with say 60 or 70 animals prepare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Sorry for being slow. But how could a farmer with say 60 or 70 animals prepare

Go to your local friendly merchants and forward buy maize or barley. I might hold tough a while for soya because if there’s a swing from maize to soya planting, price could soften even more.

tanko wrote: »
    Funny how the price of nuts and rations never seem to be on the floor.

They’ve been on the floor for years, it’s just that you perceive that its expensive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

1 man can now look after 450 cows on his own from May to Sept.... music to Glanbia/Kerry/Dairygolds etc. ears..... do these lads that are featured in these articles have anything other than fresh air between their ears?

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/are-robots-a-better-option-for-over-300-cows/
    Did anyone go to this open day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

tanko wrote: »
    Im not dairying but i think a neighbour said he paid €275/tonne for bulk dairy nuts recently.

That's reasonable, Dairygold are charging €350/tonne for bagged dairy ration, day light robbery.

mengele wrote: »
    Have about 3/4 of my first cut out silage complete. The other 1/4 needs about another week as it was closed later. Need to cover the put tomorrow. Would one sheet be enough with half tyres? Or should I really be putting on the 2 sheets and full tyres? Sheets are new btw.

When I used to have pit silage we used to put on a new cover and an old cover over it with full tyres. I saw one farmer putting on one sheet with plenty dung and in winter he takes out the top layer with dung and plastic in the shear grab then he opens the grab scrapes the dung into a heap and takes the plastic to another heap no messing with plastic blowing in the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

Put 11 FR heifers ~ 16 months old with a similar age montbeliarde bull last weekend.

One of them is struggling the last couple days with lack of power in her hind legs. Not sure what happened at all and thats what's killing me. At first we thought it could be some form of poison but now seems to be physical. She struggles to get up and can only trod along with a lack of balance til she falls again. Vet thinks fractured pelvis and we're giving pain killers even though there are no signs of pain. We've isolated her and she will eat and drink away. In any case it's looking terminal. I don't see how the relatively light bull could have caused it? Could she have tripped over a feeding trough?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    When I used to have pit silage we used to put on a new cover and an old cover over it with full tyres. I saw one farmer putting on one sheet with plenty dung and in winter he takes out the top layer with dung and plastic in the shear grab then he opens the grab scrapes the dung into a heap and takes the plastic to another heap no messing with plastic blowing in the wind.

Dung on silage pits is banned now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

dmakc wrote: »
    Put 11 FR heifers ~ 16 months old with a similar age montbeliarde bull last weekend.

One of them is struggling the last couple days with lack of power in her hind legs. Not sure what happened at all and thats what's killing me. At first we thought it could be some form of poison but now seems to be physical. She struggles to get up and can only trod along with a lack of balance til she falls again. Vet thinks fractured pelvis and we're giving pain killers even though there are no signs of pain. We've isolated her and she will eat and drink away. In any case it's looking terminal. I don't see how the relatively light bull could have caused it? Could she have tripped over a feeding trough?
    When a cow jumping on another cow the same weight can cause a fractured pelvis or break a leg. I can't see how it wouldn't be any different in heifers.

There's no in's or why's or how could it have been avoided. It's just one of those things the man above does to keep manners on us.

Dung on silage pits is banned now?

Didn’t know that

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Didn’t know that

Is it. I've seen it locally in one or 2 places still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is it. I've seen it locally in one or 2 places still

I don't think dung is banned on a silage pit either but the rules are that the run off is soiled water and has to be diverted to a tank .......
    Run off from a pit covered with tyres is clean water and doesn't have to be tanked.
    I changed to tyres years ago for that reason anyway

wrangler wrote: »
    I don't think dung is banned on a silage pit either but the rules are that the run off is soiled water and has to be diverted to a tank .......
    Run off from a pit covered with tyres is clean water and doesn't have to be tanked.
    I changed to tyres years ago for that reason anyway
    You'd imagine that the dung would dry out quickly and have little or no run off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You'd imagine that the dung would dry out quickly and have little or no run off.

There'd be run off every time it rained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

They’ve been on the floor for years, it’s just that you perceive that its expensive...

Nah....its just price of the ingredients for the nuts is on the floor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wrangler is right. Remember getting a bollixing if the pike was put thru the plastic when taking the dung off as a young fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

alps wrote: »
    Nah....its just price of the ingredients for the nuts is on the floor..

Was quoted 340 a tonne for a really good quality calf nut 18%p from my coop yesterday ,it’s good but not that good ,getting 16% made up with what I want for 80 per tonne cheaper and it’s still too dear ,Miller’s are wiping the floor with us atm

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Was quoted 340 a tonne for a really good quality calf nut 18%p from my coop yesterday ,it’s good but not that good ,getting 16% made up with what I want for 80 per tonne cheaper and it’s still too dear ,Miller’s are wiping the floor with us atm

I know I'm always saying this. Most lads don't even ask the price before they order.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    I know I'm always saying this. Most lads don't even ask the price before they order.

For same nut I heard prices from 330 to 365 from few lads .we have share bonus scheme in arrabawn which gives 2 shares for every 100 euro worth of feed purchased .ive about 14 k to put into revolving fund to bring my shareholding up to match milk supply .i havnt and won’t buy meal off them for cows due to price ,quality and back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    For same nut I heard prices from 330 to 365 from few lads .we have share bonus scheme in arrabawn which gives 2 shares for every 100 euro worth of feed purchased .ive about 14 k to put into revolving fund to bring my shareholding up to match milk supply .i havnt and won’t buy meal off them for cows due to price ,quality and back up

There's a merchant selling DOC and greenvale products way cheaper than arra. But he won't sell to Arrabawn suppliers in bulk.

Buying SFA off them here, when I was buying all my feed off them, they treated me like dirt.

In any case its cheaper to share up via the revolving fund.

orm0nd wrote: »
    There's a merchant selling DOC and greenvale products way cheaper than arra. But he won't sell to Arrabawn suppliers in bulk.

Buying SFA off them here, when I was buying all my feed off them, they treated me like dirt.

In any case its cheaper to share up via the revolving fund.

Agree same experience here

A lot of people know the price but haven't a clue about the ingredients. If it's 18% super dairy nut, sure it has to be good.

Wondering then why their cows are scuttering and crap solids.

How much should you feed cows milking 26L average on plenty grass?

How much should you feed cows milking 26L average on plenty grass?

Mine are on 2 to 3kg of 16 per cent nut at 259 euro per tonne

I’m feeding 18% 4 kgs €300/tonne. It’s fairly costly. I suppose they would milk the same at 2 kg with a cheaper ration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I’m feeding 18% 4 kgs €300/tonne. It’s fairly costly. I suppose they would milk the same at 2 kg with a cheaper ration?
    Absolutely no need of an 18% with the grass thats out there now. 1 to 2kg max of a 13% fine for those kind of yields. Fed enough last year, keep the money for yourself this year!

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Absolutely no need of an 18% with the grass thats out there now. 1 to 2kg max of a 13% fine for those kind of yields. Fed enough last year, keep the money for yourself this year!

When I ordered last week feed rep said grass proteins were running low and to stick with a 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

whelan2 wrote:
    When I ordered last week feed rep said grass proteins were running low and to stick with a 16.

He was right. Can't get my urea above 20 atm. Had to skip a few paddocks as they went crazy strong.

MU and lactose are good indicators of P and energy of cow's diet

I'd expect milk urea to kick on now with the rain of the last week, last 2 results here were 20 to 22 I think was below 20 before that. Was dry enough before this weekend, reckon grass hadnt taken a share of the N up. Feeding a 14%. Keeping on top of grass is the issue now, grass has exploded since the weekend and weather hard to manage getting them out in time. That's what will have the biggest effect on milk yield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Grass proteins may have been low last week but well back up now. We've been as low as 12 and as high as 16% over the past 3 weeks. You're reacting all the time to info that's a few days old. The tank will tell a lot on it's own about protein levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Grass proteins may have been low last week but well back up now. We've been as low as 12 and as high as 16% over the past 3 weeks. You're reacting all the time to info that's a few days old. The tank will tell a lot on it's own about protein levels.

How are you varying the nuts protein that quickly? Or you still buffering with the diet feeder? Milk urea jumping all over the place here also, it was 18 on the 20th May, but 40 6days later. Cows been on a 14% last 2 months here, in around 2 to 2.5kg/day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Of course he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Milk urea down at 21 on last collection down from 30
    Protein down to 3.74 from 3.86.

Consquence of covers getting too strong ahead of cows, back into the right covers tonight but they haven't been great for the last 5 days. 50 bales taken off the MP today

Milk urea down at 21 on last collection down from 30
    Protein down to 3.74 from 3.86.

Consquence of covers getting too strong ahead of cows, back into the right covers tonight but they haven't been great for the last 5 days. 50 bales taken off the MP today

Thought I was going well at 3.6p. Yield dropped here with heavy covers also. Changed in the 3 days i was away last wkend with a drop of rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We're taking another paddock out tomorrow, didn't take it out earlier as we were worried about lack of rain. Walked it today and it has exploded since last Tuesday. That'll be the last of the heavy covers so we should be good for a week or more.
    Silage ground has shot up as well thankfully so we'll try to take them out next week once we check the nitrates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Thought I was going well at 3.6p. Yield dropped here with heavy covers also. Changed in the 3 days i was away last wkend with a drop of rain.

Our pr good bit ahead of other years. Putting it down to no silage in diet since mid March. Cant think of any other reason tbh and other years we would have had 30 autumn calvers which would have pushed it on, funny one.
    50% of the farm has shot out here all together, I walked pddks on Tuesday that were fine to graze and last 3 pddks have been stemmy.
    Couldnt have mowed them all though.

Timmaay wrote: »
    How are you varying the nuts protein that quickly? Or you still buffering with the diet feeder? Milk urea jumping all over the place here also, it was 18 on the 20th May, but 40 6days later. Cows been on a 14% last 2 months here, in around 2 to 2.5kg/day

How do you get the milk urea result?

• Advertisement

How do you get the milk urea result?

Glanbia do it on every collection.

Glanbia do it on every collection.

Dairygold are lagging behind as they don’t do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Baled 113 bales on just 8 acres this evening on a paddock that was grazed to the butt
    Still wrapping
    Not a drop of rain today and a very sunny evening thank God

Dairygold are lagging behind as they don’t do it.

They do, ask the milk manager to get them to txt you results. Dunno why it isn't on the app yet

They do, ask the milk manager to get them to txt you results. Dunno why it isn't on the app yet

The milk advisor?

The milk advisor?

Yeah

Yeah

I fell out with him last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Baled 113 bales on just 8 acres this evening on a paddock that was grazed to the butt
    Still wrapping

Got 14ac still sitting on the ground here ugh. Got offered more 1st cut to buy today also, keen enough to sell it, there doesn't seem to be any real demand for it around here ha, some contrast to last year!

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Still wrapping

Over 14 bales an acre good crop, would it not be cheaper to pit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Over 14 bales an acre good crop, would it not be cheaper to pit it?
    Yes,was a question of timing we were strip grazing it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement