Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a cow went down in the parlour this evening . She's an autumn calver. I assumed tetany and gave her a bottle of magnesium. Rang vet. She got up and walked to a shed. A problem in her stomach he thinks. First vet visit in a long time. He rates her chances as 50/50. Was strange as she came in in the first row, normally if something was wrong they'd come in last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Growth down to 60 from 90 the previous week. Cold mornings the last week. Last night was very chilly

Throw in the fact that the highest growth rates were on paddocks most likely baled and that there was a share of topping done too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I'm tight on grass all year. I'm spreading 18,6,12 to try and build up my indexes but I feel as though I'm not getting much of a response. Too low on nitrogen I think. I hoped that the p and k might grow grass too but it doesn't look like it.

Throw in the fact that the highest growth rates were on paddocks most likely baled and that there was a share of topping done too.

Btw how did you find the aftergrass with the short growing period.
    I'm on stuff between 3-4wks since cut and there covering some ground.
    Balancing at night with the hairy stuff

straight wrote: »
    I'm tight on grass all year. I'm spreading 18,6,12 to try and build up my indexes but I feel as though I'm not getting much of a response. Too low on nitrogen I think. I hoped that the p and k might grow grass too but it doesn't look like it.
    Are you getting alot of rain.
    Moisture deficit??

Possibly, was very dry alright, cold now. Hard to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a cow went down in the parlour this evening . She's an autumn calver. I assumed tetany and gave her a bottle of magnesium. Rang vet. She got up and walked to a shed. A problem in her stomach he thinks. First vet visit in a long time. He rates her chances as 50/50. Was strange as she came in in the first row, normally if something was wrong they'd come in last

Had a cow with listerosis 4 weeks ago. It was a late milking that night and she's usually highly strung and would plough through you if got worked up so I didnt think much of it when she burst into the parlour and tried to get up on top of the troughs in the parlour.
    Next morning she couldnt get herself out of the pddk and ended up down in a drain.
    In the end I had to put a halter on her and leed her up to the yard from a pddk half a km away.
    That was bloody tough!
    She survived even though the vet said she wouldnt. Still highly strung!

Btw how did you find the aftergrass with the short growing period.
    I'm on stuff between 3-4wks since cut and there covering some ground.
    Balancing at night with the hairy stuff

Getting 2 grazings from them. On an 18 day round here, on the last of the hairy stuff now. Whole farm now has either been topped, mowed or grazed well. Solids and yield is good so happy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How are lads yields holding up. Just at 2kgs solids here, bf still low at 3.74. P around 3.6. A few fields of poorer quality stuff coming but will have to graze as one or two too rough for the mower and tight with the surplus last week not been taken out straightaway edit on 4kg meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Timmaay wrote: »
    75e/ac in the pit? For a 15ton/ac crop?? What about mowing and any other cost??

Wagon and rake hired in at 50 euro a acre we mow and put up ourselves, couldn’t stomach another year of making a 1000 plus bales so switched from self-propelled/bales to all wagon silage this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bandon butter hitting a bit of bother. Have two tubs in the fridge.
    Confined to Cork.

'A BATCH OF Bandon Co-Op butter has been recalled due to the presence of listeria monocytogenes.

The product in question has a batch code of L134 and a best-before date of 14.09.2019.

The implicated batch was distributed in retail shops in Co Cork only.' Journal.ie

How many acres was that over? That's alot of grass off surplus pddks

Should of been cut the last week of May, but the weather put pay to that, caught by the b***k now though grasswise, looking like 3-4kgs dm of silage will have to go in on top of meal to get us over the hump for the next two weeks at least unless a good blast of heat comes

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Should of been cut the last week of May, but the weather put pay to that, caught by the b***k now though grasswise, looking like 3-4kgs dm of silage will have to go in on top of meal to get us over the hump for the next two weeks at least unless a good blast of heat comes

Not ideal alright!
    Guy I used to milk for and do weekends for got 18 bales per acre off a field grazed twice this year. Some going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My cow died :( have a neighbour looking for a cow to rear calves. Have a 6 year old cow. Giving 30 litres, has had a few cases of mastitis. Nice big framed cow. What should I charge him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan2 wrote: »
    My cow died :( have a neighbour looking for a cow to rear calves. Have a 6 year old cow. Giving 30 litres, has had a few cases of mastitis. Nice big framed cow. What should I charge him?

7 or 800 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

kevthegaff wrote: »
    7 or 800 euro

I got six for a ten year old cow in May. High scc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I suppose wondering where to put the second cut is a nice problem to have. I might get 20 acres up there but I'll be baling the rest:)
    SeeVLBf.jpg

Mooooo wrote: »
    How are lads yields holding up. Just at 2kgs solids here, bf still low at 3.74. P around 3.6. A few fields of poorer quality stuff coming but will have to graze as one or two too rough for the mower and tight with the surplus last week not been taken out straightaway edit on 4kg meal

4,16 fat
    3.63 pr
    19 litres.
    Let myself down again with the grass. Very hard to do everything!

Away on a stag the weekend and fook the loss about cows and grass and bales! Kilkenny lock up your middle aged women because I don't want to hear about anyone's kids either!!

3.7 fat,
    3.4 protein,
    27.5 litres.
    Works out about the 2 kgms.
    On 4 kg of nuts.

• Advertisement

4.01 fat
    3.56 pr
    21.6 litred
    1.5kgs meal
    I have around 40% heifers and cows milked right through

Going to have to help a neighbour salvage this in the morning, whats the best plan of action straw packed in the Centre where it’s sagging, loader driver needs a good kick in the hole too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If you can access both sides could you push the sides down into it and roll again? Was that cut early with excess N or cut wet?

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    If you can access both sides could you push the sides down into it and roll again? Was that cut early with excess N or cut wet?

Neither, a clown on the pit with a fear of going near the sides,can’t be accessed and only 11 foot accross on top so wont be able to roll Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Going to have to help a neighbour salvage this in the morning, whats the best plan of action straw packed in the Centre where it’s sagging, loader driver needs a good kick in the hole too

put more tyres in middle to have a slope out to both sides and put another sheet over them to stop any water getting in. I wouldn't strip it unless it's still moving

Bo dearg wrote: »
    put more tyres in middle to have a slope out to both sides and put another sheet over them to stop any water getting in. I wouldn't strip it unless it's still moving

That’s what I suggested to neighbour best way to go about it I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

3.7 fat,
    3.4 protein,
    27.5 litres.
    Works out about the 2 kgms.
    On 4 kg of nuts.

30.67 Ltrs
    3.99 fat
    3.48 p
    5.3 kg average meal (3 to 8 kg )

Covered, just a wee bit of work around the edges left now. Cracking day for it, calm for the plastic and a cool breeze on top of the pit:)
    YhOnr0Q.jpg

Awaywithyou, I can see your house from here:D
    *waves*
    UOddF5R.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mahoney_j wrote: »
    30.67 Ltrs
    3.99 fat
    3.48 p

Yield holding very well for you. Did you add much to the meal for the bf. Had issues with bf earlier in may and for all the messing with ration putting a bit of straw in a round feeder as they walked passed was prob the most effective. The changes to pricing had the low bf effect the price per litre more as well. As my first year all spring it's possible my genetics aren't great for bf anyway, normally average around 4 for the the year when split calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone with maize crops, how are they looking? Leaves gone yellow on mine here, and id say its afew weeks behind last year. Its not the end of the world, massive crops of grass silage will more than make up for average maize yeilds, and in years like last year its very cheap insurance.

• Advertisement

30.67 Ltrs
    3.99 fat
    3.48 p

How much are the ones getting 8kg yielding?

visatorro wrote: »
    How much are the ones getting 8kg yielding?

Over 37 kg milk

Over 37 kg milk

Base feed rate to how many litres ?
    .4 kg /litre after that? ?

Covered, just a wee bit of work around the edges left now. Cracking day for it, calm for the plastic and a cool breeze on top of the pit:)
    YhOnr0Q.jpg

Do you tire up the side? I find the sides go rotten once pit is open if the sides arent tired up

Base feed rate to how many litres ?
    .4 kg /litre after that? ?

3 kg for 26
    0.42 every kg over that to 8 kg max

8 is alot on the stomach. I'd be nervous. My ration has 6kg max feeding rate.

Do you tire up the side? I find the sides go rotten once pit is open if the sides arent tired up

Yeah, I roll up the big tires and stretch the plastic for a few days first and build up the car tires to about 3/4 ways up then. I keep meaning to ask about the powders for the sides but the pressure comes on and it's put off again:rolleyes:

8 is alot on the stomach. I'd be nervous. My ration has 6kg max feeding rate.

No issue 1 of these still doing north of 50 kg milk needsevery bit of it to hold bcs and go in calf .theyd eat more if feeding thru feeder in tmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

4.58 fat
    3.87 pr
    7% cows on oad
    2.5 flat rate of cheap nut Full of pk and wheatfeed

I thought the land in kerry was.. looks like the golden vale there butford

• Advertisement

Don't mind the kerry lads. They're cute out... some of the best land in the country in north kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Don't mind the kerry lads. They're cute out... some of the best land in the country in north kerry.

And the ones that hadn't good farms sold out and bought some of the best land in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

There is a vane of the best land in the country running from Ratoo round tower in Ballyduff on into Causeway back past Dairymaster into Ballyheighue up to Kerryhead

Yeah, the wild west of the Golden Vale.

We even have some right cowboys too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD
    Tall grass grazing system.

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD

Could you explain that? I'm assuming that means heavy covers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD

How’s the OAD going for you?

Doing 18l
    4.39 f
    3.65 pr
    0.2 meal
    OAD

Sounds like a low input, low stress system. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Milk collected today at 1.30pm. Just on the farm now for evening milking. Warning signal beeping on tank. Temperature too low. Tank wasn't turned off and put washing. Rang the haulage contractor. Relief driver on today and was told that their not obliged to put the tank washing. All tank operational instructions taped to the tank. This is the 2nd or 3rd time where this has happened recently. Do lorry drivers put on other people's tanks washing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I wouldn't bother with the haulage contractor, contact the processor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement