Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

500kgs at 7.5% solids is 6472 litres, at 8% it's 6068 litres, not overly high yielding I'd have thought, if a mature herd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The balance between f and p would more than likely be in favor of fat in oad versus tad, so your 400kgs of milk solids wouldn’t have the same value per kg delivered as been on tad, latest milk statement here I averaged 4.45 euro per kilo ms versus the glanbia average of 4.22 euro, as my protein to fat ratio wasn’t far apart,
    On 400kgs of milk solids delivered per cow I’d be coming out 80 euro better of then the average glanbia supplier

What was your av pr and bf for the month?
    Our price was 4.36 €/kg for 4.38bf 3.77pr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

What was your av pr and bf for the month?
    Our price was 4.36 €/kg for 4.38bf 3.77pr

I got €4.36 for 3.28pr 3.67bf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

30 pigtails fence stakes robbed last night out of a field here and the wire gone too :mad:
    Cattle all over the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mortelaro wrote: »
    30 pigtails fence stakes robbed last night out of a field here and the wire gone too :mad:
    Cattle all over the shop

Who would be bothered to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Tinkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We are still away. Got a text from son of a very lame cow. Texted hoofcare man this morning and he did the cow today. Brilliant service. Cow back with milkers this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I may tell him he's doing too good a job, you'll be gone alot more often now haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

After the 2 cows going down in the herd test last week the department are coming next week to blood all the cows.not looking forward to it.on the one hand I want it to find something but hoping its not disastrous either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Mooooo wrote: »
    500kgs at 7.5% solids is 6472 litres, at 8% it's 6068 litres, not overly high yielding I'd have thought, if a mature herd

I suppose high yielding is a very moveable feast. I meant it in the context of comparison with OAD systems and reflecting the average Irish spring calving milk supplier. I would think that at the 500 kgms level one has well slipped into John Roche's famous "marginal milk" territory for all but the rare few.

• Advertisement

boggerman1 wrote: »
    After the 2 cows going down in the herd test last week the department are coming next week to blood all the cows.not looking forward to it.on the one hand I want it to find something but hoping its not disastrous either.

Best of luck, unfortunately with the bloods a higher number can go down, but the idea is it picks it up earlier. It has worked for some where they seem to stay clear after it. You can only wait for the results and see how they come and work with the vet then. Can be frustrating as fcuk but try to see beyond it at what you can do going forward. Spent enough time here getting angry over it that crippled my thinking for a bit so try to get past that point if you can. At the end of the day it's outside the gate and a challenge to get over like a lot of things in farming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Best of luck, unfortunately with the bloods a higher number can go down, but the idea is it picks it up earlier. It has worked for some where they seem to stay clear after it. You can only wait for the results and see how they come and work with the vet then. Can be frustrating as fcuk but try to see beyond it at what you can do going forward. Spent enough time here getting angry over it that crippled my thinking for a bit so try to get past that point if you can. At the end of the day it's outside the gate and a challenge to get over like a lot of things in farming

A neighbour has 60 gone in the last 3 years, he's being blooded with some new test that's supposed to show up very latent infections so that those one or two can be removed. He's lucky enough in that he can get clear long enough to sell off calves every year but it's a right pain in the backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Oh I know animals can be replaced a family member can't.luckily enough I'm fairly positive person most of the time.like everyone else there are days u would be pissed off at **** going arseways.will update here when the results come tru.I'm lucky enough that I have 37 maiden heifers off with the bull this yr so if a big hit happens I have enough coming tru to fill the gap.

A neighbour has 60 gone in the last 3 years, he's being blooded with some new test that's supposed to show up very latent infections so that those one or two can be removed. He's lucky enough in that he can get clear long enough to sell off calves every year but it's a right pain in the backside.

We did that last year as well on all cow's over 4 or 5 I think, they all came negative which was disappointing in so far as it was hoped to pick up a problem animal if there was one. More in terms of having found the problem as opposed to scratching our heads iykwim

We did that last year as well on all cow's over 4 or 5 I think, they all came negative which was disappointing in so far as it was hoped to pick up a problem animal if there was one. More in terms of having found the problem as opposed to scratching our heads iykwim

It was my first time hearing about that particular blood test. The Dept are pushing hard for all herds to be banded into their disease risk status so you can only buy from herds with the same or better risk status than your own herd. That would create a huge mess at marts:rolleyes:

It was my first time hearing about that particular blood test. The Dept are pushing hard for all herds to be banded into their disease risk status so you can only buy from herds with the same or better risk status than your own herd. That would create a huge mess at marts:rolleyes:

They want to be prepared to sort the wildlife end of it so and compensations . My calves not going for export cost me 2 to 3 k this year alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Looking at maybe getting back into milking. Parlor last used in 2009 but all components still there. Who would I get in to cost up price of upgrading, servicing etc to get parlor going again to start off with?

Looking at maybe getting back into milking. Parlor last used in 2009 but all components still there. Who would I get in to cost up price of upgrading, servicing etc to get parlor going again to start off with?

I'd say ring the local servicemen of whatever parlour you have but I'd be in no rush putting on the rubberware yet. Liners will only be good for a few months and should be changed every 6 months so I wouldn't do much till closer to the day you start.

I'd say ring the local servicemen of whatever parlour you have but I'd be in no rush putting on the rubberware yet. Liners will only be good for a few months and should be changed every 6 months so I wouldn't do much till closer to the day you start.

Yeah totally understand. Just want to get a ballpark figure of set up costs to return to milking. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

boggerman1 wrote: »

You could have 20% false negatives

Yeah totally understand. Just want to get a ballpark figure of set up costs to return to milking. Thanks

Tbh, you could do most of the work yourself. Just a coil of milk rubber and pulsation rubber, a set of liners for each unit and small pulse tubes for each of the units can be bought in a roll and cut to suit. You'll need a bit of wider rubber for the wash line and any other bits you might have with jars as well but you can remove and measure the lengths you need before getting them?

The milk line and vacuum lines will need to be washed as well. I'm sure your father will be able to show you most of what you need to do to keep the cost down. And then get the local lads to do a service and a good few hot washes and you'll be good to go.

If you have a platecooler, I'd be getting the servicemen to do that, I hate ripping the bloody thing in case I don't get the rubbers lined up properly again:o

Great advice thanks Buford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Take a photo or so of it, of the parlour, wash room, vaccum pump etc and we can give a very very rough guess at how reasonable or knackered looking everything is.

Timmaay wrote:
    Take a photo or so of it, of the parlour, wash room, vaccum pump etc and we can give a very very rough guess at how reasonable or knackered looking everything is.

Will try get photos up tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If ye don't already check your water troughs in this warm weather, maybe give em a look over.

I just found a crow floating in a trough in a paddock I was about to let the cows into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If ye don't already check your water troughs in this warm weather, maybe give em a look over.

I just found a crow floating in a trough in a paddock I was about to let the cows into.

When I saw that first I misread it as cow floating!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I put some 2" planks of timber in the water troughs last year during the drought to give any poor tempted creature a chance to escape. I left them there to help prevent things like this and so far so good, touch wood.

I put some 2" planks of timber in the water troughs last year during the drought to give any poor tempted creature a chance to escape. I left them there to help prevent things like this and so far so good, touch wood.
    I was just thinking about something like that.

You'd think though that water trough makers should have had a corner in each end tiered up to let birds get out.
    Sue em for salmonella poisoning and maybe they'd get the idea. :p

A local man made up covers for all water troughs and put a small fitting on the tanker. Empties them every so often and covers them when cow's aren't in there, to keep water clean and reduce tb risk. Seems to have worked for him as far as I know

I let the cows into a 2 day paddock 2 days ago which was getting a bit hairy at both ends and with a few rushes and thistles coming up that needed cutting. So while cutting the rushes and thistles yesterday morning, I decided to experiment with cutting half of each end of the paddock to see would the cows eat it or reject it.

I've never had much success with premowing before but those were heavier covers when grass was getting tight. I wasn't expecting much, tbh, but at least the rushes and thistles would be gone.

I was surprised this evening bringing in the cows with mostly all the hairy grass gone. And still a good share of hairy grass left in the two corners I didn't mow. I'll be cutting them out next round, still not sure about full pre mowing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I let the cows into a 2 day paddock 2 days ago which was getting a bit hairy at both ends and with a few rushes and thistles coming up that needed cutting. So while cutting the rushes and thistles yesterday morning, I decided to experiment with cutting half of each end of the paddock to see would the cows eat it or reject it.

I've never had much success with premowing before but those were heavier covers when grass was getting tight. I wasn't expecting much, tbh, but at least the rushes and thistles would be gone.

I was surprised this evening bringing in the cows with mostly all the hairy grass gone. And still a good share of hairy grass left in the two corners I didn't mow. I'll be cutting them out next round, still not sure about full pre mowing though.
    Sheriff, what is pre mowing and why would you do it?

Base price wrote: »
    Sheriff, what is pre mowing and why would you do it?

Pre mowing would be mowing down a days grass ahead of the cows for them to eat. Rather than topping afterwards and slowing recovery by cutting off the regrowth, you get the regrowth starting 2 days earlier earlier so there's less of an impact on regrowths and you have less stem in the grass next grazing. Better grass for the rest of the year and a smaller growth impact.

And less sh!te to be washing off the tractor and mower after topping:D

Timmaay wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

I changed my liners recently after 3 years. Didn't notice any difference. Makes me wonder what else is a scam.

Pre mowing would be mowing down a days grass ahead of the cows for them to eat. Rather than topping afterwards and slowing recovery by cutting off the regrowth, you get the regrowth starting 2 days earlier earlier so there's less of an impact on regrowths and you have less stem in the grass next grazing. Better grass for the rest of the year and a smaller growth impact.

And less sh!te to be washing off the tractor and mower after topping:D
    Would you pre mow a few hours before or a day or two before letting the cows out to it.

Would you pre mow a few hours before or a day or two before letting the cows out to it.

As soon as possible before leaving them in and just 24 hours of feed or the grass will start heating. It done when grass starts getting stemmy, the evaporation increases sugar content like wilting so you should minimise the production loss, that's my understanding of it anyway.

straight wrote: »
    I changed my liners recently after 3 years. Didn't notice any difference. Makes me wonder what else is a scam.

3 years!?. 2000 milkings is the recommendation isn't it. I'd see it if it goes over the 6 months anyway

My tank is ghosting me, fecking won't send or receive txt msgs

My tank is ghosting me, fecking won't send or receive txt msgs

Did it run out of call credit or maybe they changed their phone?

As soon as possible before leaving them in and just 24 hours of feed or the grass will start heating. It done when grass starts getting stemmy, the evaporation increases sugar content like wilting so you should minimise the production loss, that's my understanding of it anyway.
    So it's sorta like when we put the young stock into a new field of sweet grass and then top it before for the older stock go in to clean it up.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, will ring 2moro. Not such a big deal but handy when there would be other lads milking, can put it cooling or check what's in it from the phone

So it's sorta like when we put the young stock into a new field of sweet grass and then top it before for the older stock go in to clean it up.

That would be more topping, though, but much the same principles involved. Wilting makes it sweeter so intakes should be good and performance shouldn't suffer much if at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Perhaps, will ring 2moro. Not such a big deal but handy when there would be other lads milking, can put it cooling or check what's in it from the phone
    Did you try taking out sim and re inserting. Sometimes it just needs a re set.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Will dairy washing s spreading with splash plate be outlawed under new directive. Pia if it does for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

K.G. wrote: »
    Will dairy washing s spreading with splash plate be outlawed under new directive. Pia if it does for everyone

I would think it will be. The use of low emissions slurry spreading is low hanging fruit for agricultural emmissions. 90% of slurry here, this year will be spread with a trailing shoe, it is a far superior job.

yewtree wrote: »
    I would think it will be. The use of low emissions slurry spreading is low hanging fruit for agricultural emmissions. 90% of slurry here, this year will be spread with a trailing shoe, it is a far superior job.

It's amazing looking at all the pictures of the difference in spreading between trailing shoe and splash plate.
    Ye can't all be trying to cod the country. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

how much extra diesel do you use with trailing shoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

How soon can I feed bales? Made on the 17th of June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

visatorro wrote: »
    How soon can I feed bales? Made on the 17th of June?

Open a bale.
    If it’s just slightly warm, work away.
    Don’t be concerned if the silage is green.

Don’t ask how I know...all I’ll say is the eegit is working elsewhere now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Get well soon, Dawg. We miss your unique perspective on farming round here:)

Unique perspective?

:).

I’d prefer to call it ‘a broader perspective’...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement