Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inheritance tax

• 13-08-2018 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all,
    My mother recently passed away and has left the house to myself and my 2 brothers.

The house might be worth in the region of €500,000.
    I understand that the threshold for inheritance tax is €320,000 before it kicks in.

In the event that we sell, we might receive €166,000 each. Are we individually exempt or does the tax affect the initial sum so that we need to pay tax on the €180,000? (€500,000 - €320,000 = €180,000).
    TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The threshold value is personal not communal. Your solicitor should have explained all this to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheDazzler

The threshold value is personal not communal. Your solicitor should have explained all this to you.

We don't have a solicitor. We are dealing with it ourselves, or rather our cousin is, as executor of the will. None of this is sorted out yet and we haven't decided what we're doing yet, as my mother has only recently passed away, so I'm just looking at the options.

So you're saying we're individually well under the threshold, many thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

TheDazzler wrote: »
    We don't have a solicitor. We are dealing with it ourselves, or rather our cousin is, as executor of the will. None of this is sorted out yet and we haven't decided what we're doing yet, as my mother has only recently passed away, so I'm just looking at the options.

its self assessment and you need to use ROS to file the return, even when nothing due: don't let anyone charge you for doing this as its your tackle is on the line

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

TheDazzler wrote: »

Get a solicitor now to do it properly or you will have to pay him many multiples to fix it and negotiate with Revenue.

There are no options. The executor has to faithfully administer the terms of the will.

If your cousin has a solicitor let him sort it out

Advertisement