Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving an uninsured car but have own insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

iamtony wrote: »
    My brother was told recently by his insurance company that he can drive an uninsured car on his policy once it’s taxed and nct’ed but it’s only 3rd party. I couldn’t believe it myself but it’s true.
    I’m seriously considering buying an old Porsche as a plaything if my policy is the same, tax is the only issue.

Tax & NCT have no bearing on insurance, no matter what the Co says.

As for the old Porsche, they qualify for Classic anyway, so your life is far simpler to buy a classic policy.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

galwaytt wrote: »
    Tax & NCT have no bearing on insurance, no matter what the Co says.

They would have to pay out on a third party claim but could easily deny a claim under fully comp. if you had failed to comply with that or any other condition.

And even if they pay the third party claim, they can seek to recoup the money from the insured if any of their conditions was not complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

coylemj wrote: »
    They would have to pay out on a third party claim but could easily deny a claim under fully comp. if you had failed to comply with that or any other condition.

I understand, but there are policies out there that allow Comp on DOV.....but rare.
    coylemj wrote: »
    And even if they pay the third party claim, they can seek to recoup the money from the insured if any of their conditions was not complied with.

This applies to any insurance under your T's & C's and your disclosures on the 'proposal' (whether written, oral or online). Utmost Good Faith is the guidance here.

Either way, your insurance is not void, you can't be prosecuted, but you could be as you say, liable to a civil suit to recover anything paid out, afterwards. I actually have no problem with that, as I think that too would help cut out some of the scam claims.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

galwaytt wrote: »
    I understand, but there are policies out there that allow Comp on DOV.....but rare.

Don't think it's that rare, I've heard it advertised on the radio as a feature of some offerings.

And I have it from Axa for a good while now with limitations. It only applies if the engine of the borrowed car does not exceed 2,000 c.c. and the most they will pay out for damage to the car caused by me is 50K.

Advertisement