Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-Alcoholic Beers Query

• 13-08-2018 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Peace and greetings! :cool:

I am just wondering, does anyone know if "Non-Alcoholic" Beers are fully 100% Non-Alcoholic? Is there any smidgen of Alcohol in them at all is what I want to know? Are you safe to drive having consumed them? T.i.a. I wonder should I put this in the Food Forum perhaps?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

there is some alcohol, but you'd have trouble going over the limit drinking them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There would be alcohol, but you'd need to drink lots to go over the limit, they're normally <0.5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought this was going to be about a Boards.ie meet up.
    I have being told they may be a slight trace of alcohol in non alcoholic beer but it would put you over the drink driving limit.

Non alcoholic beer is like going down on your sister.

It might taste the same, but it’s just ****ing wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

you'd need to drink five 500 ml bottles to have consumed one unit of alcohol, your body can metabolise a unit of alcohol in about an hour, you'd need to be going at some pace to even catch up with what your body can process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I mostly drink Baltika, which is pretty good, and it has 0.5 iirc.

Not a chance you can get drunk on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

wonski wrote: »
    I mostly drink Baltika, which is pretty good, and it has 0.5 iirc.

Not a chance you can get drunk on that.

It is possible that you could exceed the very low limits now in place for learners, novices and professional drivers.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    It is possible that you could exceed the very low limits now in place for learners, novices and professional drivers.

Not one of them. And still would take some effort to fail roadside test drinking 0.5% beer.

You would have to drink a crate of those in an hour, literally ;)

Edit: There are Becks around claiming to be 0% if you are paranoid. Not as nice, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Regie93

There's still some alcohol in non-alcoholic beer. So you need to control how much are you drinking. We all need safe roads, after all :angel:

Regie93 wrote: »
    There's still some alcohol in non-alcoholic beer. So you need to control how much are you drinking. We all need safe roads, after all :angel:

Safe roads, yes.

I do drive a lot at night as a designated driver after drinking non alcoholic beverages. Don't tell me 0.5% will affect my driving because it won't.

Let's not get paranoid about the content. I like beer and drove many miles after few Baltikas or Becks.

I also have access to breathalyser similar to the one Gardai uses daily so can test it for you if needed. Not gonna pay for it, though :) You pay for beers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

You can't physically drink enough of it to come remotely close to being over the limit in the time it would take. It's not possible.

You can't physically drink enough of it to come remotely close to being over the limit in the time it would take. It's not possible.
    Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid about this. Had a bad experience with drunk drivers in the past.

Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid about this. Had a bad experience with drunk drivers in the past.

Drunk drivers don't do non alcoholic beers. They do the opposite.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but we are the responsible ones.

wonski wrote: »

Drunk drivers don't do non alcoholic beers. They do the opposite.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but we are the responsible ones.
    Thanks. Guess you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Any I've seen are around 0.05%, not 0.5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Heineken have a product called 0.0. I'd hazard a guess that there is 0.0% alcohol in.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Heineken have a product called 0.0. I'd hazard a guess that there is 0.0% alcohol in.

It's 0.05%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I have the odd Erdinger it's 0.5% IIRC. But main thing it it's REALLY nice, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I have the odd Erdinger it's 0.5% IIRC. But main thing it it's REALLY nice, IMO.

Best of a bad lot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If you got stopped by gardee and you started drinking a non alcoholic beer what would be the reaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If you got stopped by gardee and you started drinking a non alcoholic beer what would be the reaction?

They'd probably think you're being deliberately cheeky and then they'd start checking your tyre depth, NCT, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A pint of 0.5%, is about 0.16 units of alcohol.

It'll take on average about 4 units of alcohol to breach the lower (0.05 BAC) limit for drink-driving offences.

That's about 25 pints of non-alcoholic.

And that's ignoring absorption and processing time; you'd want to drink all of them in two hours, at most. If you think you can drink 14 litres of liquid in two hours, then fair play.

"But any alcohol at all is bad for driving", I hear you cry. Not quite. Data indicates that the law of diminishing returns applies. Below 0.05, the difference between a completely sober driver and one who has consumed alcohol is negligible. Factors such as fatigue or distraction play a far bigger role at very low BAC levels.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It has healthy stuff in it as well. I quite like it.

I love the Heineken 0.0 but found the Erdinger vile. Shame too as I love the real stuff. Maybe I got a gammy bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Wow thanks for all the replies peeps. Wasn't sure whether to expect a lot of jokes and slagging or not! But sometimes AH gives informative answers and broader views on something that a specific Forum couldn't/wouldn't. Have to say have zero clue about its content but have often wondered what it's like it would I drink it.. If I ever was having a couple of them on a night out I couldn't drink, but still wanted to feel like I'm out and drinking! - would a couple of them with a point something percentage of alcohol still put me over.... But, I think what I'm gathering here, is just don't go mental on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The new Guinness lager is actually quite palatable.

I really enjoyed being able to drive to nice foodie places this summer, sit out, having a beer in the sun and have no hassle driving home.

Of them all, shock horror, I found the Carlsberg one to be the most palatable.

I've also started drinking decaffeinated coffee. Must be on some sort of health kick that I don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not that it's a reputable website or remotely close but it's claimed here that you'd need to drink 250 bottles of Heineken 0.0 to equal the alcohol in one bottle of regular Heineken.

https://www.buzz.ie/drinks/heineken-0-non-alcoholic-beer-279367

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Not that it's a reputable website or remotely close but it's claimed here that you'd need to drink 250 bottles of Heineken 0.0 to equal the alcohol in one bottle of regular Heineken.

https://www.buzz.ie/drinks/heineken-0-non-alcoholic-beer-279367

latest?cb=20160612133813

Advertisement