Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

become a moderator

Options
  • 14-08-2018 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Hi Genuinely interested in becoming a moderator, specifically the Farming and Forestry section of the site how does one go about applying for this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Be a good contributor to that forum (if you aren't already) - maintain a good posting style and just overall be a valuable addition to that particular forum and when a mod is needed then you'll most likely be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Hi Genuinely interested in becoming a moderator, specifically the Farming and Forestry section of the site how does one go about applying for this ?

anyone ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There are some threads from a while ago asking the same question. Thee stock response was you don't ask, but wait until you are asked:)

I think that stock response is a bit dated, and I also think it's a valid question to ask

robarmstrong has already given a brief summary of what we typically look for when considering potential mods

I would add something that perhaps has not been explicitly set out in some of the threads on the topic. What is really helpful is having someone who is passionate about the subject, and will contribute in a positive fashion, be it initiating discussion, or sharing their knowledge, particularly for newer posters

I personally see no issue with someone who is both enthusiastic and knowledgeable asking the question. With specific forums like the one you ask about we need to consider whether we already have adequate cover, but even if we do that may not always be the case

Just to use your own posting history as an example, you only have 39 posts in the Farming & Forestry forum, with only 8 during the past year. You are more prolific in the Forestry forum and would probably be on our list if and when we do have a vacancy. Equally we would consider other candidates and take a view on who we think may be the best fit, usually with input from local Mods and Cmods who may have more experience of posting within the relevant forum(s}

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Beasty wrote:
    Just to use your own posting history as an example, you only have 39 posts in the Farming & Forestry forum, with only 8 during the past year. You are more prolific in the Forestry forum and would probably be on our list if and when we do have a vacancy. Equally we would consider other candidates and take a view on who we think may be the best fit, usually with input from local Mods and Cmods who may have more experience of posting within the relevant forum(s}

well I am a qualified forester myself so I would definitly be more knowlegeable on the forestry side of things but there is very little posting going on in that particular section and would like to take it on as a mod to try and improve the situation as it seems that the moderators in the Farming and Forestry forum are definitely more of the Farming persuasion with little interaction in the forestry section

but I'll wait and see so, thanks for getting back to me on this !

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'll mention your interest to the CMods. Don't think we have any vacancies at present, I'm sure they will consider you if and when we do need an extra pair of hands

• Advertisement
Advertisement