Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"upgraded" broadband service

Options
  • 14-08-2018 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I am an owner of home broadband contract+landline, and my provider is switching to Siro.

In a letter I was just reading now, they are saying they would be giving me a reduced cost to what I am paying now for 6 month for the new fancier broadband (and then I imagine I would be going back to paying what I am paying now).
    But also they are saying, if I don't switch, because they retire the current technology, they may not be in a position to offer me the existing service beyond a date this summer.
    - I would imagine they would still have this type of contract in other counties that have not been upgraded.

So, I am not keen to switch because I don't need the difference, and I prefer not to be asked to extend my contract by default if I don't need a service.

What are my rights in here ? Would they be entitled to stop or alter the quality of the service and ask me to pay for it up to the end of the contract, or could they drop my contract ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It would be odd for a provider to drop a service mid contract.

What's the time left on the contract? I would expect them to maintain it to the end date and then they could drop you without much fuss.

Regulation 14 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Service and Users Rights) Regulations S.I. 337 of 2011 specifies that service providers providing connection or access to the public telephone network shall do so in accordance with a contract.

However, they could have it in the contract:

the length of the contract and the conditions for renewing or ending it

Whether this means what they're doing is correct would possibly costs you more than it's worth. I wouldn't consider going to court to be a useful option.

As it's a TelCo provider I would get in touch with ComReg and when you do so include: the issue (contract not ending*, service ending, new service, you wish to maintain the existing service until end of contract at a minimum) the contract agreed to, highlight the sections related to the duration of the contract and their statements regading cancelling the contract from their side. If ComReg back them up and say it is OK then it's likely the courts would find in their favour as well.

*Note, if you are on a contract which is outside the agreed duration (12,18,24 months) then, I think, all they would have to do is give you 30 days notice (same time you have to notify them).

EDIT: Also, if there are other providers you can see if they'll offer the non SIRO service to you. I'd imagine this is a case of you being on openeir's network (which mean there are other providers available to you on the exact same line only a new modem and bill would be needed) and Vodafone are opting to switch as many people to the SIRO offering as it's better for them and you.

Personally I'd take the savings since most providers are roughly the same price and the increase in internet might have some unintended advatnages you haven't considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Vodafone do this. We have just upgraded. Painless and we will save150eu over 6 months.

Speeds are misleading. You will get 800 if hard wired into the router. Up to 200 on the 5ghz network but the range is less than normal. The 2.4 was similar for me. I get 30 to 80 speeds.

Fibre is a better product so no brained to move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Speeds aren't misleading, you won't get very close to the advertised speeds unless you're hardware is capable of it and never on WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

It would be odd for a provider to drop a service mid contract.

What's the time left on the contract? I would expect them to maintain it to the end date and then they could drop you without much fuss.

Regulation 14 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Service and Users Rights) Regulations S.I. 337 of 2011 specifies that service providers providing connection or access to the public telephone network shall do so in accordance with a contract.

EDIT: Also, if there are other providers you can see if they'll offer the non SIRO service to you. I'd imagine this is a case of you being on openeir's network (which mean there are other providers available to you on the exact same line only a new modem and bill would be needed) and Vodafone are opting to switch as many people to the SIRO offering as it's better for them and you.

Personally I'd take the savings since most providers are roughly the same price and the increase in internet might have some unintended advatnages you haven't considered.

I've done 1/3 of the contract length.

Right - so current speed is OK for my needs, I don't want to get a new contract . But ... I was once mislead by current provider with a FUP for an "unlimited" contract. So tbh - I would want to jump ship whenever I can to a contract with reasonable speeds but no FUP - their SIRO offer doesn't do that for me now.

- I can get non SIRO internet from at least 2 other providers where I live
    Lantus wrote: »
    Vodafone do this. We have just upgraded. Painless and we will save150eu over 6 months.
    and what will you pay after the 6 months, and for how long (is it a 12 or 18 month deal)

Looked at Vodafone's typical contracts, they all tend to have this:
    TERM

1. The Gigabit Broadband Service is subject to a twelve (12), eighteen (18) or twenty four (24) month minimum term contract (the "Minimum Term") as outlined on your Customer Application Form. After the expiry of the Minimum Term, the Agreement converts to a rolling one month contract.

2. Either party may terminate this Agreement on the giving of a minimum of thirty (30) days written notice to the other. Where you terminate this Agreement during the Minimum Term, a termination charge will apply as set out in the Tariff Sheet.

So, they've offered you 30 days notice that they are cancelling. They do seem cagey about this based on what you've said:
    But also they are saying, if I don't switch, because they retire the current technology, they may not be in a position to offer me the existing service beyond a date this summer.

You could enquire with ComReg if what ever they've sent you is considered notice.

The fair usage policy is 1000GB in a month:
    15. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination.

That's pretty reasonable although I get your concern, I've looked through my usage as I'd be considered a heavy internet user (streaming, downloading, gaming) and I've never gone past 700GB.

• Advertisement

mvl wrote:
    and what will you pay after the 6 months, and for how long (is it a 12 or 18 month deal)

Price goes to 50 after 6 months which is what we pay now so no increase in real terms. 18 month contract which is fine. Ours just expired.

guil wrote:
    Speeds aren't misleading, you won't get very close to the advertised speeds unless you're hardware is capable of it and never on WiFi.

Yes, but vodaphones router isn't great hence pretty slow speeds over WiFi.

You'd need a 5g device with a WiFi unit capable of handling the speed.

Still not sure what I'm going to use this bandwidth for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Lantus wrote: »
    Price goes to 50 after 6 months which is what we pay now so no increase in real terms. 18 month contract which is fine. Ours just expired.
    Thanks.
    So if I am getting this correct, you are agreeing by doing the switch to a 2 years deal for VFE ... or is it again 18 month ?

FUP - I am far from meeting it also, but I don't like the idea & how it was hidden on my current agreement with them.

Your options are most likely, accept the offer from them or go with one of the other providers in your area which may have similar FUPs or other issues.

When you agree to a new contract it's a new term starting from the date for the period agreed (18 months from you signing up), both parties have essentially agreed to cancel the other contract.

When I worked it out 1000GB is about ~300 hours of HD streaming. Considering 730 hours in a month you would have to be a heavy user to hit it.

I don't agree with internet caps myself regardless but objectively it's not terrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

guil wrote: »

Exacltly. They provide you with the speed, how you distribute it around your house is your business.

Other Eircom based providers will continue to provide a service, if the OP wants that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Get your provider to clarify which speed package you would be on, there may be different prices, higher speed = higher price. If you have no need for 1000 or even 300, there is also 150. Try to haggle for better price (if you want).

Other thing to be aware of is that if your existing phone line is removed / disconnected, then it will work slightly differently through a phone socket on the router instead of the existing wall socket. Double check that any existing equipment will still work via this router socket (eg house alarm). There won't be any change to the quality of phone calls (will probably be better) but it is a change to be aware of. For example if the power is off then you'd have no phone line where currently you would via a non powered landline handset.

If it's Vodafone, remember that they are joint owners of Siro so it's to their benefit to move you to Siro. It's doubtful that the current phone lines / exchange equipment are being decommissioned. Point being, get all the background details so that you can haggle with them on price. Also note that a new line is required so there will be some civil work involved.

Advertisement