Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor-assisted bikes on club runs?

Options
  • 14-08-2018 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I’m wondering if the issue of ‘e-bikes’ / ‘motor-assisted bikes’ / ‘whatever u wanna call em bikes’ showing up on club runs has happened yet and what attitudes are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I did a sportive last year, where a man turned up on an Ebike.
    Nobody batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

A two-speed peloton?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Unless they are "competing" in an event I dont see why it should be an issue for anyone else, or indeed anyone elses business what somebody chooses to ride.

Ebikes encourage people back onto bikes who otherwise wouldn't be there. More people on bikes on the road means more safety, more infrastructure, in fact more of all the good stuff that us bike-loving folks want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

They are popular where cyclists cannot manage the required speeds to keep up with their mates etc. due to medical complaints. I know my 66yr old Dad, a long term cyclist, is considering one following double ankle surgery. Orbea do a couple of versions that look cool (D20, D30)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I don’t think there’s any place for them on club rides.

I’ve only hopped in one once so not go much experience of them and I’d say models vary. On the one I tried when it kicks in it gave quick darts of pace from the motor and that would be a recipe for disaster on a group ride.

If it’s an issue with not being able to keep up there’s probably a more suitable group, most clubs have handy/leisure spins anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ferris wrote: »
    my 66yr old Dad, a long term cyclist, is considering one following double ankle surgery.
    is the ankle surgery related to the cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

is the ankle surgery related to the cycling?

No, genetics unfortunately:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I don't have any issue with them on a club spin, but I definitely spotted one on the Cooley Thriller mtb race last Saturday which was bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I don't have any issue with them on a club spin, but I definitely spotted one on the Cooley Thriller mtb race last Saturday which was bad form.

There was more than one, however I didn't see any of them beat Robin Seymour the race winner.

One of the guys on the EBike had just collected his Bus pass last week and wasn't exactly a svetle rider..
    Also there was multiple fence crossings, not easy to lift a 50lb bike over them, also some of the sections would have been push up even on an ebike..

So, they are ok with me..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would assume there's a separate category for e-bikes in a race anyway?

• Advertisement

Not in Ireland that i'm aware of, the rule is "Riders must use human power only – no exceptions"

Obviously ebike entrants are allowed only at the discretion of the race organisers and i'm sure are excluded from winning the race cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Some MTB races have introduced ebike categories, such as Mega avalance, and a couple of the stand-alone enduro event/races in the UK. I don't have a problem with them [ebikes] - and having tried a few they are fun - but for competitive racing, I think they shouldn't be mixed in with 'traditional' categories as they do give an assist.

Any other sort of non-competitive activity where someone says they [ebikes] have no place is just being a bit short sighted and quite inconsiderate towards those who have perhaps fallen on less fortunate times, physically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There was more than one, however I didn't see any of them beat Robin Seymour the race winner.

One of the guys on the EBike had just collected his Bus pass last week and wasn't exactly a svetle rider..
    Also there was multiple fence crossings, not easy to lift a 50lb bike over them, also some of the sections would have been push up even on an ebike..

So, they are ok with me..

Forgot about the stiles. The last few were hard enough with my own bike, never mind the extra weight of an ebike

Forgot about the stiles. The last few were hard enough with my own bike, never mind the extra weight of an ebike

Exactly, there was one guy I came across who couldn't even swing his leg over the last stile nevermind carry his regular bike too...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

dont see any problem with them in anything non competitive myself. They are a fantastic tool for people whos fitness isnt on par with the people they want to cycle with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Anyone on an ebike on our club ride would just be made sit up the front for the morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Anyone on an ebike on our club ride would just be made sit up the front for the morning....

I've always wanted to ask the lad on the e-bike who passes me on my commute for some motor-pacing... if only I could catch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

A friend of mine in the UK's dad was a lifelong roadie (and smoker) when he suffered a heart attack and needed a quadruple (afair) bypass in his early 60s.

He was basically told he could never exert himself beyond a certain threshold again.

An E-bike lets him get out with the same group of mates he'd been going for spins with for the last couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Motorcross? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

More and more events are allowing/operating a seperate category for e-bikes.

I know the Rad AmRing 24hr event has categories for road and mtb e-bikes.

Impressive being part of a 20man lineout behind some dude on a e-bike during a race :-)

• Advertisement

surely you'd need a standard though for races? i.e. would the race organisers require that an e-bike be street legal? and how do they check all e-bikes?

I see that Focus bikes are making a kids ebike!!

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/focus-2019-bikes-52811/

Mental! Should that be allowed?

Advertisement