Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16KM TT in Dublin

Options
  • 14-08-2018 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know of any lengths of road within Dublin suitable for a flattish out-and-back 16KM time trial? I’m familiar with Blackbull start place in Meath and the Brock Inn but looking for something closer to city...preferably south side. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess you'll have richer pickings on the northside because it doesn't butt up against the mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i guess you'll have richer pickings on the northside because it doesn't butt up against the mountains?

Yip

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know it's only a stone's throw from the brock inn one you mention, but have you tried the run from the swing roundabout, near hollystown, out towards ratoath - goes through kilbride?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

The N11 is probably your best bet: https://goo.gl/maps/hNZyQUvhQyT2

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

Not out and back, or south side, but Phoenix park would have lots of options for 16km loops that are fairly flat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Loop of the lakes in Blessington? About 11km I think

it goes through prosperous, so not ideal, but there's an arrow straight 16km long road running west from clane.
    i think it's ireland's longest stretch of straight road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Thud wrote: »

Excellent cheers. I’d get a great warm up en route too

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

The Boot Inn was a grand circuit, think it was a 5 mile lap (well that was the prevailing wisdom at the time), but I believe the circuit is a dead end now.

• Advertisement

there's no dead end at the boot, assuming it's the road i'm thinking of - they've recently redone the road, there's a lovely 1.7km stretch which is properly resurfaced - but the stretch along the runway (on the north side of the runway) is very bumpy in places.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

there's no dead end at the boot, assuming it's the road i'm thinking of - they've recently redone the road, there's a lovely 1.7km stretch which is properly resurfaced - but the stretch along the runway (on the north side of the runway) is very bumpy in places.

Ssshh,I'm achingly close to getting the KoM there (currently held by Derek in Humphries). Havn't had the legs the last few times I've been on it though.

actually, strava's maps don't yet show the road i'm thinking of - but it is correct that the old road was removed, the one that ran from the boot to the roundabout on the R108 (at the end of the alternative runway).

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ssshh,I'm achingly close to getting the KoM there (currently held by Derek in Humphries). Havn't had the legs the last few times I've been on it though.
    and the wind has swung back west recently, which won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

the road that came out onto the bypass road is closed so you cant do the lap anymore and there are traffic lights on it as well

morana wrote: »
    the road that came out onto the bypass road is closed so you cant do the lap anymore and there are traffic lights on it as well

The new road is much nicer though. I always had to stop on the old one anyway as there was always passing traffic.

If you had bigger tyres, you can loop around Dunbro lane without ever having to stop, though it's bumpy with grass in the middle and roaming sheep the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Weepsie wrote: »
    The new road is much nicer though. I always had to stop on the old one anyway as there was always passing traffic.

If you had bigger tyres, you can loop around Dunbro lane without ever having to stop, though it's bumpy with grass in the middle and roaming sheep the odd time.

Does Dunbro Lane still have an exit at the far end? Google maps says no: https://goo.gl/maps/5y7htKDmWJ42

Might be a fake dead end though, a copyright trap.

It does, you can definitely turn onto it as I do it when I'm on the bigger tyred bikes and just do loops around there as it's not far from home. I think the part that is missing there, is now also new tarmac.

Thud wrote: »

Just gave this stretch a lash this afternoon. Had not expected it to be so lumpy. Strava indicates 156m of climbing along the route and struggled on the second half. But would do it again. Traffic quite bad on the way out from Enniskerry tho.

ba wrote: »
    Just gave this stretch a lash this afternoon. Had not expected it to be so lumpy. Strava indicates 156m of climbing along the route and struggled on the second half. But would do it again. Traffic quite bad on the way out from Enniskerry tho.

Strava tends to overestimate (often by quite a large amount) the amount of climbing. It's often down to the accuracy of the device. Of my Phone, Mios, Garmins and Brytons I've had over the years only the Bryton 60 I think never had to be corrected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement