Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallagher's pub maccurtain street

Options
  • 14-08-2018 8:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

They have taken over nearly the whole path outside the premises with tables and chairs causing obstructions to walking -Not on ,surely city council should have a word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Go on. Be the first to write a strongly worded letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mean gene wrote: »
    They have taken over nearly the whole path outside the premises with tables and chairs causing obstructions to walking -Not on ,surely city council should have a word

It's a great spot and added a lot of life to the corner of mccurtain street. Leave them at it

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I agree tbh.its such a bottle neck when turning a busy corner. People get forced out on to the road because of it. The footpath just isn't wide enough in that place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

eurokev wrote: »
    I agree tbh.its such a bottle neck when turning a busy corner. People get forced out on to the road because of it. The footpath just isn't wide enough in that place

Ya spot on I was up there at the weekend twas a hazard -some ones going to get injured up there over it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I haven't been there for a few weeks but IIRC it's not that extreme - no more than other bars/restaurants on the same street. If it bothers you that much talk to management (even use a five minute email account if you want to be anonymous) and ask if they could move away from the corner a bit. Otherwise talk to the council - they surely have something on their website for enquires.

The council and the traders on that street are really trying to make that whole area more pedestrian friendly. If it's a big hassle I'm sure everybody involved would be happy to make changes.

• Advertisement

Some people really have absolutely nothing to worry or complain about when they go around looking for reasons to be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Some people really have absolutely nothing to worry or complain about when they go around looking for reasons to be like this.

I think it's more of an observation.

I agree with the op. I was up there the long weekend getting my monthly dose of son of bun and I have to agree it's taking the Mick a bit how little space is left on the footpath.

I couldn't enjoy being a patron on the chairs there either if it were me, people are almost brushing off you.

The shelbourne up the road have a huge area out front but the footpath is much wider in that area, and not on a bend.

I think Gallagher's should think about changing it tbh. But also having worked in the city for a number of years I would imagine they have permission, as I had an experience before with a litter warden where he came in and got us to move an a1 advertising sign from outside as we didn't have permission to have it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The Council are getting well paid by them for using the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I think more pubs should have seating outside like that.

I went past Gallagher's myself last weekend and didn't find it to be as extreme as you're saying. In fact, I cycled past the outside seating (yes I was cycling on the path) and had no problems getting by even on a bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Speaking of footpath bottlenecks the worst one in the city centre I can think of is where you turn the corner of the Roundy pub onto where O Briens is on the right of Daunt Square. Theres a bin, a telegraph pole, a bunch of traffic bollards all in close proximity to each other and then the tables outside O Briens. The bin is especially badly situated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think more pubs should have seating outside like that.

I went past Gallagher's myself last weekend and didn't find it to be as extreme as you're saying. In fact, I cycled past the outside seating (yes I was cycling on the path) and had no problems getting by even on a bike.

Are you aged 6 and on stabilisers? If not, cycle on the road like an adult.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

not to mention there is a constant flow of water from their side entrance, as if some pipe is blocked inside the side gate.

So not only do you have to go around the tables outside that take up more than 3 quarters of a public path on the corner of a busy junction, you have to avoid the flow of water flowing, and block your nose to the rank smell of gastro slop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's a lot of crap being spouted on this thread.

Firstly, they have no seats between the corner and their front door - about 2 meters - so ther are not seats clogging up the corner of a busy junction.

I past there last night and a group of lads walked three abreast on the footpath past Gallagher's. There really is plenty of room.

And there is not a constant flow of water from the side entrance, nor smell. That's a blatant lie. Perhaps on some occasion there was, but constant? No!
    I walk past this pub at least once a week and I have never seen this.

Also, there is no more room on the footpath by The Shelbourne.

I don't frequent this pub and have no real opinion on it but this thread seems to be a bit of a vendetta.

just because it might have an extra few inches than the Shelbourne dont mean the issue is any less, just means the shelbourne is as guilty.

you do understand this ?

As for the stream of soapy water that flows, the last 4 weekends I passed it was there, and other will vouch for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

just because it might have an extra few inches than the Shelbourne dont mean the issue is any less, just means the shelbourne is as guilty.

you do understand this ?

As for the stream of soapy water that flows, the last 4 weekends I passed it was there, and other will vouch for that.

Room for people to walk 3 abreast isn't enough?

The last dozens of Wednesdays I passed there was no soapy water outflow.
    The claim was that it was a constant issue. That is complete nonsense.

well considering the 4 times I passed on weekends it was there was "some coincidence" then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Room for people to walk 3 abreast isn't enough?

The last dozens of Wednesdays I passed there was no soapy water outflow.
    The claim was that it was a constant issue. That is complete nonsense.
    well considering the 4 times I passed on weekends it was there was "some coincidence" then.

Easy way to sort this out. Next time when you are passing by this pub, both of you take a picture or two and upload to here. We will all be able to see a flow or no flow as the case may be.

Advertisement