Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague has body odour issues

Options
  • 14-08-2018 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

A work colleague of mine has terrible body odour. They work in my section so it is unavoidable and a daily issue. I don't feel comfortable saying it myself as I have to see them every day and the person also has some medical issues (not sure if related or not) so I don't want to embarrass them.

I would also feel bad about saying it to HR and putting someone else in a very awkward situation.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I would speak to your manager first then HR.
    I wouldn't worry about putting them in a very awkward situation, that's their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree with the above. Escalate this to your manager. Most likely they will send around a general e-mail telling everyone to ensure they take care of their personal hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had this in a team once.
    One lad had a serious problem and it was difficult for everyone.

One of the lads mentioned it to me.

It was awkward but I had a brief chat with the lad who was mortified but took it on the chin. Feedback was it was never an issue again.

Just bring the problem to your manager or HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

_Brian wrote: »
    I had this in a team once.
    One lad had a serious problem and it was difficult for everyone.

One of the lads mentioned it to me.

It was awkward but I had a brief chat with the lad who was mortified but took it on the chin. Feedback was it was never an issue again.

Just bring the problem to your manager or HR.

Exact same situation, person with the odor issue was shocked, cleaned it up and has had a brilliant career since. Always points out to me it was the best feedback they'd ever received.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

burnburn wrote: »
    Hello,

A work colleague of mine has terrible body odour. They work in my section so it is unavoidable and a daily issue. I don't feel comfortable saying it myself as I have to see them every day and the person also has some medical issues (not sure if related or not) so I don't want to embarrass them.

I would also feel bad about saying it to HR and putting someone else in a very awkward situation.

Any suggestions?

Grim. I'd report it. You can be sure that they are aware of it but hoping that they can get away without dealing with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement