Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal fees for selling home.

Options
  • 14-08-2018 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Got a bit of a shock with my first quote - 3300!! I paid 1200 13 years ago when buying. Bar inflation, is it that more expensive to sell than buy??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

misc2013 wrote: »
    Got a bit of a shock with my first quote - 3300!! I paid 1200 13 years ago when buying. Bar inflation, is it that more expensive to sell than buy??

Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I was quoted €1500 plus vat recently for legal fees. Up about €300 on a previous quote from last year.

€3300 sounds very high unless there's something very unusual about the sale or they are trying to take a percentage of the sale cost. Go for a fixed fee, even if you have to travel a bit further for signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

machalla wrote: »
    I was quoted €1500 plus vat recently for legal fees. Up about €300 on a previous quote from last year.

€3300 sounds very high unless there's something very unusual about the sale or they are trying to take a percentage of the sale cost. Go for a fixed fee, even if you have to travel a bit further for signing.

Mine took a percentage. I thought that was the norm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Visconti wrote: »
    Mine took a percentage. I thought that was the norm ?

Not anymore, no. I've never paid anything but a fixed fee agreed in advance. I'd always ask for a fixed cost up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Max should be €2,200 plus vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

Max should be €2,200 plus vat

Professional fee is just below 2200 and then the charges e g docs from co co etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

2005 purchase - legal costs, Dublin-based sol:

900 + VAT

2018, quotes from same sol as in 2005

Purchase plus mortgage = 1450 + VAT + outlays

Sale = 1250 + VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Are u sure it doesn’t include stamp duty? Our solicitor is paying it but included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Professional fee is just below 2200 and then the charges e g docs from co co etc.

Letter from council etc will be extras.

Don’t be afraid to use a solicitor in a different part of the country. If you save a few hundred then what harm is a trip to Dublin or Cork to spend 20 minutes signing a few forms?

If it’s the same solicitor you used to buy you should chance asking for a reduction on the basis that they would have certified title when you purchased it. 13 years is a long time, but never hurts to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Shop around for a fixed quote, there's no such thing as loyalty in business.

Having said that, conveyancing is a closed shop, you can call it a scam if you want but fees will always reflect the buoyancy of the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you are buying stamp duty is 1 per cent,
    for most house,s .
    eg under 1 million value.

This is a sale so stamp duty is irrelevant.

Op is this your current solicitor?

Bear in mind if the solicitor knows your circumstances, eg. downsizing, large equity, second home sale, this is going to affect their fee. Sad but true. Ring around but don't give any information about the sale. Obviously selling equals money coming in/ buying equals money going out, don't forget that the solicitor knows this too!

This is a sale so stamp duty is irrelevant.

Op is this your current solicitor?

Bear in mind if the solicitor knows your circumstances, eg. downsizing, large equity, second home sale, this is going to affect their fee. Sad but true. Ring around but don't give any information about the sale. Obviously selling equals money coming in/ buying equals money going out, don't forget that the solicitor knows this too!

No. Looking for a new local solicitor. Change of location so last solicitor not practical.

Letter from council etc will be extras.

Don’t be afraid to use a solicitor in a different part of the country. If you save a few hundred then what harm is a trip to Dublin or Cork to spend 20 minutes signing a few forms?

If it’s the same solicitor you used to buy you should chance asking for a reduction on the basis that they would have certified title when you purchased it. 13 years is a long time, but never hurts to ask.

I moved down the country since buying house. Just not practical to use original solicitor due to distance.

Ring a few tomorrow and give a spiel of something along the lines of having to move back home and the sale is just clearing the mortgage and see what sort of quotes you get then.

Got another quote so a big difference. Prof fee 1500 aot 2200.

2nd firm seeking the below docs. Has anyone experience of this?

- certificate of discharge re NPPR charges.

- LPT property charge details.

Do I write to revenue for both of these? Does that take long?

- certificate of discharge from irish water re any outstanding charges. These should have been paid by my tenants.

Do I need to ask them to get this or can I contact Irish Water as the owner?

I'd imagine if you gave revenue and iw a call they'd answer your questions.

Advertisement