Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir 'technical suport' scam

Options
  • 14-08-2018 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

You are probably aware of the common 'technical support' scam, where someone calls from 'Windows support' because of all the viruses you have on your computer...

This morning I had a call from 'Eir technical support' that followed this pattern, but with an interesting angle - the call was preceded by a machine voice threatening to disconnect my internet service because of 'issues found'. Now this might seem more legitimate to the unwary, so be aware of this sort of thing.

The inbound number is also spoofed to appear as a local number with no country or area prefix.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

gerryk wrote: »
    You are probably aware of the common 'technical support' scam, where someone calls from 'Windows support' because of all the viruses you have on your computer...

This morning I had a call from 'Eir technical support' that followed this pattern, but with an interesting angle - the call was preceded by a machine voice threatening to disconnect my internet service because of 'issues found'. Now this might seem more legitimate to the unwary, so be aware of this sort of thing.

The inbound number is also spoofed to appear as a local number with no country or area prefix.
    Hi gerryk ,

Thanks for letting us know, I'll be sure to forward this on to the relevant departments.

Thanks

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Just had a similar call from Eir technical support  021 number computer voice saying our internet had been compromised, now funny enough our internet has been acting up today but we're not Eir customers. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Just had a similar call from Eir technical support  021 number computer voice saying our internet had been compromised, now funny enough our internet has been acting up today but we're not Eir customers. 
    Hi Vex Willems, 

This would be a scam call and would advise to never pass any details on. You can view all details on this here

Thanks

Tracey 

Advertisement