Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

minitrue wrote: »
    If the PST and EST times are right then I'm pretty sure there's a daylight savings change mistake there and it's actually 1pm (about 20 minutes now) "Irish time" ;)

Well spotted.

I'd love a 3070 FE, I think it's the prettiest of the bunch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've everything ordered and on the way for my first new PC in 7 years. The only missing component is a 3070. How do I maximise my chances of ordering one in 2 days? Do we have a launch time yet?

Your best chance of getting one of these in 2 days is to invent time travel in the next 2 days, travel forward in time 3+ months, buy one and bring it back.

Other than that I'd say stock will be tight so you might need a lot of luck.

• Advertisement

The 3070 FE wil be amazing for MINI-ITX builds if someone makes a block for it, it's bloody tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Can one of you knowledgeable folk please tell me why AMD decided against going for GDDR6x over the normal GDDR6....is it to keep the prices down, lack of availability or just not being used in the current architecture?

After waiting so long with this new card Im baffled why it not using the 6x?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Can one of you knowledgeable folk please tell me why AMD decided against going for GDDR6x over the normal GDDR6....is it to keep the prices down, lack of availability or just not being used in the current architecture?

After waiting so long with this new card Im baffled why it not using the 6x?

GDDR6X is a micron propriotory technology and would be limited in supply, also limits you to one supplier.

They (AMD) have also apparently developed a very interesting new memory compression technology so they don't actually need the extra memory bandwidth provided by 6X.

6X is also harder to cool, less overclock-stable, and a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I was reading that although its twice as fast (6x) per pin the heat it generates is also an awful lot more so thought it might be a thermal issue with the cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It looks like Nvidia are going to drop a card in between 3080 & 3090.

I'd say there will be a 3070ti & 3080ti before long. This is a strange launch.

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1320995351415828480

NVIDIA to revive plans for GeForce RTX 3080 Ti with 9984 CUDA cores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Canceling SKUs adding SKUs in the middle of a launch is strange

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Overheal wrote: »
    Canceling SKUs adding SKUs in the middle of a launch is strange

I've said it before I cannot see AMD beating the 3090 but I can see them getting between a 3080 and 3090 where this new supposedly card will fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I was just going to say the same thing, this is the first time in a long time that Nvidia and AMD have been on par.

Seems knee jerk to roll out a 3080ti already but considering the disasterous launch and ongoing supply issues of the 3080 it doesnt make sense to me.

The 3070 looks like a good amount of card for the money and would fit nice in a smaller form factor PC but I'm not flying out the door to find one. Want to see this release tomorrow.

Oh yet another mainstream youtuber review:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RTX3080 now showing as "Coming Soon" on the Nvidia site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

TitianGerm wrote: »

Says out of stock for me, but 3090 'coming soon'

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

TitianGerm wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Says out of stock for me, but 3090 'coming soon'

Just added a screenshot below.

Apparently there are a LOT more 3070's for launch day, and a LOT more 3080's will be available on Thursday morning when the 3070's launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nvidia to release more imaginary cards to go along with the currently unobtainable imaginary cards.

The biggest paper launch I've ever seen. AMD have them scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

BloodBath wrote: »
    Nvidia to release more imaginary cards to go along with the currently unobtainable imaginary cards.

The biggest paper launch I've ever seen. AMD have them scared.

It would be a lie if I didn't say AMD has me. Interested alright.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Apparently there are a LOT more 3070's for launch day, and a LOT more 3080's will be available on Thursday morning when the 3070's launch.

I want to believe! Where is this information coming from?

I want to believe! Where is this information coming from?

I want to believe too.

But this is only for FE's, partner cards will be as rare as before.

Down to a count of hours now before this hype Big Navi launch event.

22.5 hours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Still can't believe they managed to release a card that matches the 2080ti in most scenarios for 40% of the cost. It's absolutely mental.

Still can't believe they managed to release a card that matches the 2080ti in most scenarios for 40% of the cost. It's absolutely mental.

Or was the 2080 Ti just overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Overheal wrote: »
    Or was the 2080 Ti just overpriced

Original msrp of the 2080ti was 999 dollars...but this was never the case..it was always 1200+ everywhere..so in my humble opinion it was way overpriced, and nvidia proved it today by offering near same performance for 540 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Good luck getting 1 for that price.

Just like the 2080ti I think you will find the prices quite a bit higher when it comes to buying them unless you can get a unicorn FE.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Original msrp of the 2080ti was 999 dollars...but this was never the case..it was always 1200+ everywhere..so in my humble opinion it was way overpriced, and nvidia proved it today by offering near same performance for 540 euros

Was 1199 at launch for the FE. The 999 was apparently the baseline they set for AIBs who were going to use reference style blowers but I don't think anyone actually bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Finally have it in my hands! What a whopper compared to my 1080Ti!

NrhpbJc.jpg?1
    PpBFKLH.jpg?1
    swtWzOv.jpg?1

Thinking of giving vertical mounting a try this time around...

Best of luck to all with your hunt! :)

Advertisement