Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭bawnBeag

That will be an immense upgrade. 3070 can handle 4k 60 if it's non RT stuff, or possibly if you use DLSS.

I put in an order for an asus oc 3070 also, 5 mins before 1pm on overclockers. I went with amazon pay though which I think will push me down the queue due to processing time

Where did you see your queue position?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

d00mk1n wrote: »
    Bought a ASUS 3070 OC, would have liked the FE but both my monitors are HDMI

Upgrading from a 970...please reassure me I am not wasting my money? Bit of an impulse buy

Depends on how much you paid for it.

Its a big upgrade from a 970 though

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Upgrading from a 970...please reassure me I am not wasting my money? Bit of an impulse buy

Still a good card, just AMD put out some better numbers yesterday. For the difference in cost though at least you’ll be gaming relatively soon! I’m still weeks away from my Ryzen Zord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

no the upgrade will be huge well worth it. I just feel most of the AIBs are over priced and not worth the premium for a card that so far OCs pretty meh.
    bawnBeag wrote: »
    Scan - Pile of pants, spent 45mins with 3070 FE in the basket, issues trying to check out and eventually ended up with nothing in the basket

Yeah this is what gets me the most I had it in my basket clicking checkout I should get one but i dont due to scan not remembering how it was when the 3080 launched... yet somone who logs on late then chances their arm gets one no issue.

Once its in a basket it should be taken from the stock total till that checkout is completed with a certain time frame for non completion for it to be returned to stock.

I feel like i have been robbed of something I didnt buy :pac:

Ah well ill play cyberpunk on my 970 i guess and just get a new phone instead.

Also I assume the Nov 30th is a place holder for more stock as ill be fecked if nvidia are getting my money if those AMD cards turn out as good as AMD claim with out a 500/5000 series Mobo/cpu. I know ill be saying this again on the 18th when the AMD sells out just as quick with the same type of checkout BS as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Yeah, I've a bit of an uplift myself. Currently using a dying laptop - Lenovo Y50-70 with an Intel i7-4710HQ and GTX 860M. When I receive my card, my new desktop will be an i9-10850k, 64GB of 3200mhz RAM and RTX 3080. Needless to say, I've been saving since getting the laptop to upgrade, and I expect it's going to be a noticeable change.... :P

A lot of people were saying Scan doesn't work with Firefox, so thats something for everyone to watch out for if you're considering a FE model in future. Lots of people kept getting spinning screens and recaptchas over and over. So it seems like a known issue with that site and Firefox. Hopefully, thats probably the issue a lot of people had and can be sorted next time.

On the 3080 I used my phone and it, although slow, worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

bawnBeag wrote: »
    Where did you see your queue position?

I don't know, I think on OC forums they work it out from the different order numbers.

The thing with amazon is it takes longer to process the payment I think, so I don't know if the position is calculated based on that or not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That's a big upgrade for you in terms of specs, you can rest easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Just preordered a Zotac 3070 from Scan for 469 gbp, same price as FE.

Seems weird, every other Ampere card is being sold at a price over the FE?

Zotac has a 5 year warranty and are a breeze to deal with (previously had a hdmi port die and Zotac replaced the card, which was over 3 years old at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

The zotac is a pre-order but expected stock on october 31st.

cromelex wrote: »
    Just preordered a Zotac 3070 from Scan for 469 gbp, same price as FE.

Seems weird, every other Ampere card is being sold at a price over the FE?

Zotac has a 5 year warranty and are a breeze to deal with (previously had a hdmi port die and Zotac replaced the card, which was over 3 years old at the time).

That pre order seems to be gone now, one thing i will say and it happened with the 3080 is that the price went up when it was time to be charged so keep an eye on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

That pre order seems to be gone now, one thing i will say and it happened with the 3080 is that the price went up when it was time to be charged so keep an eye on that

Surely thats illegal! By them accepting a pre-order at a specific price then they have agreed, in principal and legally, to provide you an item for a specific sum and you have agreed to provide them the payment of that sum in return for the item.

They cannot then change the price of the item and charge you a higher level than what you agreed to pay, unless they contact you and specifically tell you the price is now higher and will cost this....

If that happened to you, then contact the CCPC immediately.

Surely thats illegal! By them accepting a pre-order at a specific price then they have agreed, in principal and legally, to provide you an item for a specific sum and you have agreed to provide them the payment of that sum in return for the item.

They cannot then change the price of the item and charge you a higher level than what you agreed to pay, unless they contact you and specifically tell you the price is now higher and will cost this....

No i read it on reddit it could of been overclockers but im pretty sure its scan and i dont think its illegal cause its only a pre order and the item hasnt been sold so no contract/sale has been completed, where if he bought it at said price and then they charged more after the fact thats different.
    There is also cases of it going up from the time its added to the basket to the time they are nearly finished at the checkout.

Like amazon have a preorder price promise where the price you pre order at is the price you pay or less. Scan and overclockers dont.

So I joined that telegram alert group,there a decent amount of 3080s coming into stock but the majority are €900+,some as high as €1100.

€1100 is a joke for a 3080,even €900 os a joke imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Holy ****. Was just about the pull trigger on the one on Amazon FR at 935, got the one off Amazon IT at 771.

Says it will arrive next week....

Yeah that one was a decent price.

I really wanted the FE tbh. But if this actually dispatches I'll be so happy to turn off the notifications, leave the groups, and go back to my normal life

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Can you guys share the group?

I really haven't been able to put in an order for a 3080 anywhere. Don't want to pay over the top for one.

I'd still prefer a 3080 over a 3070 (4K TV, that's why).

If Scan honors my preorder for the Zotac 3070 I can just sell it at cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

EoinHef wrote: »
    Depends on how much you paid for it.

Its a big upgrade from a 970 though

€625 OCUK, was going for the non-OC but website froze for 10mins but the more expensive OC loaded straight away...

cromelex wrote: »
    Can you guys share the group?

I really haven't been able to put in an order for a 3080 anywhere. Don't want to pay over the top for one.

I'd still prefer a 3080 over a 3070 (4K TV, that's why).

If Scan honors my preorder for the Zotac 3070 I can just sell it at cost.

If you download the app and enter the below it should bring you to the group:

https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAFciuCdyIDkBORJRFQ

Or install the app then come here,click the link and open with telegram

Only got it yesterday and there has been a good few linked. A lot are crazy prices but the odd one comes in at a decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So I joined that telegram alert group,there a decent amount of 3080s coming into stock but the majority are €900+,some as high as €1100.

€1100 is a joke for a 3080,even €900 os a joke imo

For sure! The one on amazon.de was €1060 delivered.

Snapped up an EVGA one from amazon.co.uk yesterday for £709 to Parcel Motel - much better value.

• Advertisement

€625 OCUK, was going for the non-OC but website froze for 10mins but the more expensive OC loaded straight away...

Great stuff then,€625 is reasonable enough.

Big upgrade for ye,enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

I've wondered about this as well. I ordered a 3080 at launch from scan. I presumed I was buying a product they had in stock as there was nothing on the page about pre orders. The money taken / charged from my account was more than the original listing at launch, and then there was a long period of radio silence before they explained the situation. In their first email it refers to "your preorder" as if that was what you had known you were purchasing.

I think scan have handled it well since then however. But nvidia / EVGA et al are another story!

Now, should I be worried about buying the cheapest EVGA with no metal backplate?

Or do I care?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    Now, should I be worried about buying the cheapest EVGA with no metal backplate?

Or do I care?

Unless you're using an AIO, or have your cpu water-cooled, makes no difference other than aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Or do I care?

from the reviews i remember, EVGA backplate actually is well designed with the card (temp etc) out of all brands, but nothing significant really. It is fancier looking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

Or do I care?

They don't seem to be produceing these lower markup models and concentrating on the OC models, so you might be waiting longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Great stuff then,€625 is reasonable enough.

Big upgrade for ye,enjoy:)

Thanks man

Now time to look at PSUs...not sure my 350W is gonna cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Thanks man

Psu prices are very reasonable these days. Might be no harm going fair bit over the recommended W.

All Eyes On Rafah

Thanks man

Is it a pre built your putting the new gpu in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Also, is the whole PC from 2013/2014 or just the GTX970? Realistically something like an i7-6700K/7700K class processor would be what I'd consider a minimum with an RTX3070 to avoid heavy bottlenecking.

Even then wouldn't be ideal, ideal processor would be something like Ryzen 3700X or an Intel equivalent (8700K, 9700K, newer i5-10 series, etc) to get the most out of it.

Something like an i5-4x or i5-6x would be fairly hopeless unfortunately.

Advertisement