Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Gamers Nexus throwaway comment that nVidia are back talking to TSMC. I wonder if they are going to plunder their cash reserves to try and take the 3000 series onto either TSMC's or Samungs 5nm as fast as they can. Samsung announced their first Exynos SoC on 5nm will appear in phones "first half" 2021. A minimal 3000 port/refresh on 5nm could be enough to hold AMD at bay (assuming the rdna 2 hints/leaks/info so far stand up once they reach reviewers).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Managed to snag a Palit GeForce RTX 3080 GamingPro OC on Amazon UK - for delivery Nov 23rd.
    I have a Zotac 3070 preordered on Scan and kind of jumped on this just because it was available.

Suddenly unsure if I really want to spend this much on a card - it will be hooked up to a 4K tv so I would get the benefits, but it's so much monies.

If I can't sleep with regret, anyone interested in taking this from my hands (Dublin) instead of me canceling?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jennyners wrote: »
    most reviews says the 3800 card is better than 3700 by 18%

a cheaper 3500 card is due out in December to take on amd cheaper cards due out

you will get good money if you sell either card

just because your on a list to get a card you may not get it for months as some shops get in 7 every 2 weeks

you should be ok with amazon

Is that you again Bobby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

cromelex wrote: »
    If I can't sleep with regret, anyone interested in taking this from my hands (Dublin) instead of me canceling?

I wouldn't worry about it, you will easily sell either card for the price you paid for it

2020 is fecking insane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Seems to be major shortages all over, I signed up to EVGAs European site to see if there was any chance of buying direct, but from what I can see their European shop while visible, is not working. At least they're doing something to push back against the scalpers, putting a limit on one item per household, probably wont help unless your in the USA.
    originally I was looking at 3080 or 3070 but none at any reasonable prices, I wonder what the price increase would be if you get caught out after Brexit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Fionn wrote: »
    Seems to be major shortages all over, I signed up to EVGAs European site to see if there was any chance of buying direct, but from what I can see their European shop while visible, is not working. At least they're doing something to push back against the scalpers, putting a limit on one item per household, probably wont help unless your in the USA.
    originally I was looking at 3080 or 3070 but none at any reasonable prices, I wonder what the price increase would be if you get caught out after Brexit?
    I think there'll be a deal over Brexit so not expecting much to change there to be honest. We'll see if more comes in over December. Might get lucky. I've waited this long, I can wait more. My 1650s has served me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I think there'll be a deal over Brexit so not expecting much to change there to be honest. We'll see if more comes in over December. Might get lucky. I've waited this long, I can wait more. My 1650s has served me well.
    deal or not it wont change the fact that buying goods from the uk directly is going to incur tariffs either way as a free trade agreement with the EU like the one in place now is not on the UK's agenda

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    deal or not it wont change the fact that buying goods from the uk directly is going to incur tariffs either way as a free trade agreement with the EU like the one in place now is not on the UK's agenda

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

My 3080 is in the hands of UPS now, was scanned at Finglas on Friday night as departed facility and nothing since, Also don't think they can even deliver to my apartment now as my buzzer doesn't work and apparently they do not ring you when outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cookie1977 wrote: »
    We'll see.

As of January 1st the UK will exit the transition period and will become the same as the USA or Nigeria.
    ANY goods or services you buy from them over the limit of €22 will attract the same VAT and Customs duty exactly the same as if you buy a laptop or graphics card and have it delivered to you and you have to pay customs before they will release it to you.
    Revenue actually have a guide published for this purpose.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf

• Advertisement

One of the huge barriers to any trade agreement between the eu and the uk is fishing and fishing rights..the uk government made certain promises to their fishermen that were above and beyond any agreement that had gone before and now they will not budge and the EU see this as unworkable.
    at this late stage a trade agreement will take so long to implement that even if one is signed today it could take 6 months of background work for it to be implemented.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CJhaughey wrote: »
    As of January 1st the UK will exit the transition period and will become the same as the USA or Nigeria.
    ANY goods or services you buy from them over the limit of €22 will attract the same VAT and Customs duty exactly the same as if you buy a laptop or graphics card and have it delivered to you and you have to pay customs before they will release it to you.
    Revenue actually have a guide published for this purpose.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/guide-to-importing-goods-through-the-post.pdf

Will using Parcel Delivery be exempt from these charges since they're up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Most likely will be targeted by customs for the tax, tbh, as all of these services will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

AFAIK there is no customs duty for computer parts, only VAT. So apart from a small fee charged by the courier for collecting the VAT there should be no change.

Cordell wrote: »
    AFAIK there is no customs duty for computer parts, only VAT. So apart from a small fee charged by the courier for collecting the VAT there should be no change.
    You may end up being exempt/eligible for a refund too if you can prove to revenue it was bought and paid for in full before and delivered post December 31st. So much is still uncertain. I'm not overly worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Will Amazon still be directing customers in Ireland to shop in .co.uk or will they now direct us to one of their European sites .fr or.es ? Anyone have any insight into this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Will using Parcel Delivery be exempt from these charges since they're up north?

Anything entering Ireland from outside the EU will attract these charges, NI is still part of the UK so will be subject to these charges.
    Unfortunately the VAT is levied on the price including P+P + the customs fee that whatever courier service charges, An Post has a flat rate of €10 but many companies charge a lot more.
    Ideally the UK would apply 0% vat t the sale but I am not so sure many retailers will be up to speed on selling to outside EU but I'd love to be proven wrong.
    The other side of this is that this will also fall out of the scope of EU consumer law so if you get a faulty product and a crappy retailer you may find your rights are severely limited in terms of recourse.
    from the CCPC.IE website:

f you have a complaint against a business in another EU Member State, and you cannot resolve it, you can use the European Consumer Centre (ECC) Network by contacting ECC Ireland. Once you contact ECC Ireland, it can raise your issue with the ECC in the country where the business is based. The ECC in the country where the business is based can then raise the issue with the business on your behalf, if necessary.

In addition to the ECC network, consumers can avail of an EU-backed system of alternative dispute resolution for participating traders and also have access to the European Small Claims procedure. These procedures are available only where a consumer and a business are both in an EU Member State. While the ECC is still in place in the UK currently, there is considerable uncertainty as to whether the ECC network or the European Small Claims procedure will be available in cases where the business is in the UK, after the transition period.

In cases where the product is not delivered, you can make a complaint to the business. If the business is unable to resolve your complaint, you could contact your credit or debit card provider and request a chargeback on the basis that the goods were not delivered. Consumers in Ireland can take individual action through the Irish Courts if they have bought online from UK traders who do business in the EU. However, having a judgement enforced in the UK might be difficult in practice because the legal situation at this time is very unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Again, I'm quite sure there's no customs duty to be paid on computer parts. I got some in the recent past from the US and I only had to pay VAT and the courier fee (around 15 euros).

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

jonski wrote: »
    Will Amazon still be directing customers in Ireland to shop in .co.uk or will they now direct us to one of their European sites .fr or.es ? Anyone have any insight into this ?

You would hope they create a .ie store considering they have numerous employees over here and we would be the only English speaking country to them left in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

gibgodsman wrote: »
    You would hope they create a .ie store considering they have numerous employees over here and we would be the only English speaking country to them left in the EU

The amazon.de website already provides English translation. We might be redirected there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

jonski wrote: »

Amazon recently (this year) approached the IDA about finding a location for a warehouse near Leixlip. It should go ahead but will take a while. I'd imagine we'll be directed to a .ie eventually.

Amazon recently (this year) approached the IDA about finding a location for a warehouse near Leixlip. It should go ahead but will take a while. I'd imagine we'll be directed to a .ie eventually.

Amazon have already opened a warehouse in rathcoole
    and have another 2 in the pipeline for 2021

What do they actually stock in Rathcoole though? The Rathcoole depot is a pretty small operation and only services one day deliveries of limited items to the Dublin area.
    The one planned for Leixlip will be a general fulfillment centre and would offer a much wider range of products. The Leixlip centre would act as a hub with the likes of Rathcoole being satellites.

What do they actually stock in Rathcoole though? The Rathcoole depot is a pretty small operation and only services one day deliveries of limited items to the Dublin area.
    The one planned for Leixlip will be a general fulfillment centre and would offer a much wider range of products. The Leixlip centre would act as a hub with the likes of Rathcoole being satellites.

AFAIK it is only a small operation with 20 staff and a much bigger delivery network..what i like about it now is that you can track you delivery from them in real time now..as i have received a good few parcels from them over the last few weeks

AFAIK it is only a small operation with 20 staff and a much bigger delivery network..what i like about it now is that you can track you delivery from them in real time now..as i have received a good few parcels from them over the last few weeks

You're lucky enough to be inside their delivery footprint so? Have you noticed a big difference between the service now and previously in terms of speed? How do the independent delivery contractors compare to an post or DHL?

You're lucky enough to be inside their delivery footprint so? Have you noticed a big difference between the service now and previously in terms of speed? How do the independent delivery contractors compare to an post or DHL?

I found the delivery drivers very good..quite the professionals actually,iI would say the deliveries i got were faster than normal,being able to see the delivery van on google maps slowly trundling it's way to your address really puts your mind at rest...

I found the delivery drivers very good..quite the professionals actually,iI would say the deliveries i got were faster than normal,being able to see the delivery van on google maps slowly trundling it's way to your address really puts your mind at rest...
    I've seen big trucks meet smaller drivers to load them up in Terneure before what I assume is local distribution. I heard one of the drivers of the smaller truck say to the other they've been on the go for almost 12 hrs straight. Tough work if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I find amazon delivery an absolute nightmare tbh. There are a few reasons specific to me, but I think some of these apply to everyone.

1. They can't access my building, AN Post used to leave small parcels by the postboxes, but Amazon can't. So I have to be home for every delivery when previously I didn't.
    2. They don't ring my doorbell, they call me. But if you miss the call, and call back it goes to a machine, not to the driver. If you miss the call you miss the delivery.
    3. The live tracking is basically useless in town. It told me I was the "next stop" for 4 hours last week. That's 4 hours of not going out, because it is just around the corner.

I use parcel motel but there's also addres pal, to assist you with storing the parcels for later pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They were working on a lease for two units in Finglas a few months ago I believe.

All my deliveries have shifted to Amazon instead of an post now, even though I'm over the other side of the city. Found them to be pretty decent tbh, the real time tracking in particular is handy.

Advertisement