Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Don't notice anything from 3070 founders or Evga 3080, although I'm probably getting deaf at this stage in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

BArra wrote: »
    anyone suffering coil whine from their 3080/3070/3090?

have a 3080 founders, am playing cod cold war at the moment

- menu screens was fairly annoying - limiting fps to 60 fixed it completely
    - in game not as whiney, but still there - i decided to undervolt the card this morning and since then its minimal...

I also have a 3080 founders. I had coil whine for a few days but it disappeared with use. Very happy with the volume / temps now. I've been playing COD CW too and haven't noticed any coil whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

- in game not as whiney, but still there - i decided to undervolt the card this morning and since then its minimal...
    No issues here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Originally had some coil whine but after a couple days it went altogether. Few posts on reddit where people had a similar issue but always seems to just disappear after time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I get coil whine on my 2070 Super FE but, as above, it disappears after a while.

Have you tried limiting FPS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Hey I'm looking for advice on buying a new card.

I'm considering the 3070, I want Nvidia because my monitor has gsync but not freesync.
    My monitor is 1080p and I may upgrade to 1440p at some point.
    I also occasionally stream games to a media centre PC connected to a 4k TV, it's a 60hz tv so I don't need high frame rates at 4k but should I be worried about it only having 8Gb vram?
    I don't know how much is actually used but AC Vahalla will allocate all 8Gb of my current card at 4k.

Also do I have much chance of getting 3070 before Christmas? Where should I look?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

harmless wrote: »
    Also do I have much chance of getting 3070 before Christmas? Where should I look?

Absolute zero chance, unless you're prepared to pay ridiculous money (like 200% of RRP).

grogi wrote: »
    Absolute zero chance, unless you're prepared to pay ridiculous money (like 200% of RRP).

Is the 3070 more difficult to find than a 3080?

I'd considering per-ordering if I could get it early January.

But again I wouldn't have a clue which retailer to go with.

Even if I couldn't get it until February would 8Gb be ok at 4k high/ultra texture settings? Or would I be better considering other alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Even if I couldn't get it until February would 8Gb be ok at 4k high/ultra texture settings? Or would I be better considering other alternatives?

im still waiting on 2 cards a 3080 and a 3090 since launch...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

3070 founders edition are available for ~3-5 minutes when they pop up. use something like telegram and should be able to nab one if your ready to go when they become available, the 3080 disappear in seconds.

In the past weeks it seems de/es/fr are launched one day and uk either an hour later or the following day. Been trying to nab a 3080 at rrp myself but gone by the time i have finished, 3070 remain available for a bit.

• Advertisement

djivide_ wrote: »
    3070 founders edition are available for ~3-5 minutes when they pop up. use something like telegram and should be able to nab one if your ready to go when they become available, the 3080 disappear in seconds.

Will do, at least there is a chance of getting one if I'm fast enough.

I usually upgrade every 4 - 5 years.
    So there are there any worries about 4k with 8Gb vram in that time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What is the RRP of the card?

Pangea wrote: »
    What is the RRP of the card?

€520 for the 3070 founders edition but it looks like it's more difficult to find in stock than the more expensive AIB cards that are also difficult to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Will do, at least there is a chance of getting one if I'm fast enough.

I usually upgrade every 4 - 5 years.
    So there are there any worries about 4k with 8Gb vram in that time frame?

If your worried about that you would be looking at a 6800 from AMD,bit more expensive at msrp but 16gb of vram and faster in general.

They are even more rare than the nvidia cards atm though. Its not a great time to be buying really,plenty of people want the new cards and supply is at a trickle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

I just bought one new and didn’t pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

In the past weeks it seems de/es/fr are launched one day and uk either an hour later or the following day. Been trying to nab a 3080 at rrp myself but gone by the time i have finished, 3070 remain available for a bit.

sorry if im being a bit thick but how would you use Telegram to get alerts , im waiting on a inno 3070 from overclockers and there's very little movement on the queue , so im trying to find other options , its for a Christmas pressie and I have all the parts apart from the GPU ready to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Tony H wrote: »
    sorry if im being a bit thick but how would you use Telegram to get alerts , im waiting on a inno 3070 from overclockers and there's very little movement on the queue , so im trying to find other options , its for a Christmas pressie and I have all the parts apart from the GPU ready to go :D

There are some channels you can join and they post updates for stock. If you're quick to react to such an update, you can order a card.
    Here's an example: https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx3080/
    In the left bar, you can find free alerts for stock via email, telegram, discord, etc.

I don't think it can help with existing orders.

It was part alert telegram channel i am on they have a number of channels for FE / 3070 / 3080 etc

here are the founders and 3070 links :
    https://pa.function.workers.dev/tg/rtxfe
    https://pa.function.workers.dev/tg/rtx3070

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

It was part alert telegram channel i am on they have a number of channels for FE / 3070 / 3080 etc

here are the founders and 3070 links :
    https://pa.function.workers.dev/tg/rtxfe
    https://pa.function.workers.dev/tg/rtx3070

Thanks for that , cancelled with overclockers , can always use the 1060 gtx until the madness calms down a bit

EoinHef wrote: »
    If your worried about that you would be looking at a 6800 from AMD,bit more expensive at msrp but 16gb of vram and faster in general.

They are even more rare than the nvidia cards atm though. Its not a great time to be buying really,plenty of people want the new cards and supply is at a trickle

Well like I said I think it has to be nvidia to get variable refresh rate to work on my monitor with gsync but not freesync. Is there a work around for this?

I also stream to my 4k media centre using Moonlight which I have found to be really good image quality with low latency but that is also nvidia only.

In terms of GPU power the 3070 is perfect for me but the vram has me worried and I'm not sure the 3080 is worth the premium for 2Gb extra vram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Well like I said I think it has to be nvidia to get variable refresh rate to work on my monitor with gsync but not freesync. Is there a work around for this?

I also stream to my 4k media centre using Moonlight which I have found to be really good image quality with low latency but that is also nvidia only.

In terms of GPU power the 3070 is perfect for me but the vram has me worried and I'm not sure the 3080 is worth the premium for 2Gb extra vram.

3070Ti incoming if the rumours are to be believed.

3070Ti incoming if the rumours are to be believed.

What would nvidia's incentive be for this when they can't keep the 3080 in stock?

What would nvidia's incentive be for this when they can't keep the 3080 in stock?

Segmentation, it's apparently on a different die.

more sku's 3070 ti is rumored to be a cut down 3080 chip aka ga102 vs ga104 used 3070. so chips that almost pass QA for 3080 but fail can be used as 3070 ti chips so less waste silicone, ga102 is a much larger chip in square mm vs ga104. Also more than likely running gddr6 and not gddr6x like 3080 to keep a bit of room between the two performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Will be a direct competitor for AMD's 6800 which sits in between the 3070 and 3080.

Segmentation, it's apparently on a different die.

Well that's reassuring, I was worried there was a vram shortage.

Rumour I've seen and am hoping for is a new die - GA103 and 10GB of GDDR6X $599 - High hopes...

3090 up on adverts for €1500

Sold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably about right for an MSI or couple branded ones.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement