Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So I finally got round to adding a waterblock to my 3090.

Here's the card starting off.

Here's the bare card.

It was surprisingly easy to open. 6 screws for the shroud. 5 for the backplane, 8 for the middle support frame.

The finished product.

And the cooling result.

That involves running the pump at max, which is noisy, and undermines the point of making it silent. Running the pump at 50% and just above silent, keeps it at 52C, at a core of 1830.

Also don't forget the power cables the first time you install it after adding the waterblock. I nearly had a breakdown for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Probably about right for an MSI or couple branded ones.

It was an FE, €1,499 RRP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That's really cool looking. We'll done. Definitely be interested in doing that myself someday.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Chips are limited on the amount of memory can they have I think?

Saw something like the current 3070 can only have 8gb or 16gb, no other configurations, and the 3080 10gb or 20gb. Something to do with bandwith maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Chips are limited on the amount of memory can they have I think?

Saw something like the current 3070 can only have 8gb or 16gb, no other configurations, and the 3080 10gb or 20gb. Something to do with bandwith maybe?

Bus width I think.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it said bus width. This would make sense then I think
    Rumour I've seen and am hoping for is a new die - GA103 and 10GB of GDDR6X...

Jumping straight to 16gb would be a bit much for nvidia I'd guess and 10 is at least enough to make it seem like a step up. 8gb DDR5 on 1070 vs 8gb DDR6 on 3070 looks a bit poor really.

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Yeah, it said bus width. This would make sense then I think

Jumping straight to 16gb would be a bit much for nvidia I'd guess and 10 is at least enough to make it seem like a step up. 8gb DDR5 on 1070 vs 8gb DDR6 on 3070 looks a bit poor really.

10GB on the 3070ti is, in a way, good news as AFAIK it means a 320bit bus width.

This is all good if it pans out this way and everything gets knocked down a level similar to the 20 series refresh. Much quicker time scale this time though - thanks AMD! 3060ti looks really close to the 3070 and I'd guess the 3070 will be discontinued like the 2070 sooner rather than later tbh

3060Ti looking like a decent main stream card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RIP 2080/Super trade value :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Judging by the current trends, would double their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

My OG RTX 2080 dislikes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

3060Ti looking like a decent main stream card.

Nothing mainstream in either launch if the products are inaccessible to the mainstream. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thats actually perfect card for me. Could even put this in my current pc, and use it until I build new one.

Though getting this will be a challenge. I would predict even bigger then 3070 and 3080 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah the main worry I have is this:

Every scalped GPU/console increases the buying power of botters, meaning they have both the means & the capital to buy-out everything until real measures are put in place to stop them.

Well they aren't just going to get scalping banned, these retailers and manufacturers need to be more thoughtful with transacting the card to a greater number of end-users. Have an address verification process, at least limit any 1 potential scalper to 1 GPU, put every pre-order into a lottery such that botters are not automatically front of the line. $1 deposit to confirm all pre-orders are transacted from unique accounts. Physical retail launches are the only best way currently to shut down botting.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yeah the main worry I have is this:

Every scalped GPU/console increases the buying power of botters, meaning they have both the means & the capital to buy-out everything until real measures are put in place to stop them.

These assholes making this year even worse. Still trying to get my hands on new xbox. And then you see these feckers organise and then flex on amount consoles they have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

These assholes making this year even worse. Still trying to get my hands on new xbox. And then you see these feckers organise and then flex on amount consoles they have gotten.

Get on the telegram alert group for the new consoles,should get a series x or s handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Make them suffer: don't buy from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC Gamlng arrived today. Installed and tested for brief periods while I was working.

Absolutely fantastic. Tomb raider is buttery smooth on Max settings at 1440p. Getting around 90 fps without DLSS and 120+ fps enabled. Temps around 60-65C when under load. Doom Eternal looks incredible, as does RE7. Such a massive upgrade from my puny GTX 750 ti! I did have to under volt my 5800x CPU after adding the GPU though as case temps were pushing it into the high 70’s while gaming. Got it down to the mid 60’s by adding a - 0.1 Volt offset, no noticeable performance hit.

Can’t wait for the weekend when I can enjoy.

There may be scope for me getting a 3070 TI when they eventually become available but for now this is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Thats certainly some jump from a 750 ti to a 3070!

Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Does Newegg ship to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Pangea wrote: »
    Does Newegg ship to Ireland?

They have a UK-only website. You need a VPN, Revolut and a ParcelWizard address. Also, be quick about it, as PW are closing their N.Ireland service on Dec 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I'm getting "The site is unavailable in the European Union" when I try to go to Newegg site.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Luck100 wrote: »
    I'm getting "The site is unavailable in the European Union" when I try to go to Newegg site.

You need to use a VPN to appear as though you are in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

telegram group says a 3080 fe drop chance high today, its usually 2pm to 2.30pm that scan makes them available

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hows the second hand market for 3070s if I want to upgrade to a 3080. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

errlloyd wrote: »

Very good, at the moment, it's the only real market. I'd say you'd get the full retail value back again unless they become commonplace in the shops.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »

You can probably mark it up by €100 and still get a BJ from the buyer.

Advertisement