Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Thank you for your custom. We're writing to give you an update on your pre-order:

LN110436 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Trinity Ampere Graphics Card
    Your current queue position is 2. We are working hard with our suppliers and partners to get an estimated arrival date, please watch your email for further updates.

This is taking ages. Hope they get it before new year or I'll have to cancel with the whole brexit thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

Shpongler wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! Just got one there.

got a notification from DPD , we will deliver your order on the 7th , roll on Monday .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

cromelex wrote: »
    Thank you for your custom. We're writing to give you an update on your pre-order:

LN110436 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Trinity Ampere Graphics Card
    Your current queue position is 2. We are working hard with our suppliers and partners to get an estimated arrival date, please watch your email for further updates.

This is taking ages. Hope they get it before new year or I'll have to cancel with the whole brexit thing...

Because you placed the order this year and paid for it, well before the deadline, all you'd have to do would be show the receipt/invoice to customs or whoever and there won't be any VAT etc

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Because you placed the order this year and paid for it, well before the deadline, all you'd have to do would be show the receipt/invoice to customs or whoever and there won't be any VAT etc

I'd be more concerned about shipping time from the UK in January

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Elara have notifications for PNY models.

30'70
    30'80

No stock until March/February respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Very positive review of the 3060ti from digital foundry.

https://youtu.be/JfASASNLgIk

I can see why some reviewers wouldn't be that interested in it, although I still think Gamers Nexus 'meh' was a bad take imo, but the Hardware Unboxed one was weird. He says he doesn't consider it ray tracing card because FPS is too low but it beats the 2080 Super - near 60fps (er make that 40fps, but still only 10% behind 3070) at 1440p Ultra in Control with DLSS off in this video. So he's saying the 2080 Super isn't a ray tracing card then either? Seems way too harsh for me and pointless to review a card for what it isn't anyway imo. It also isn't €800. If the price/perf of this card was matched by the others up the stack they would either be cheaper or better surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Very positive review of the 3060ti from digital foundry.

https://youtu.be/JfASASNLgIk

I can see why some reviewers wouldn't be that interested in it, although I still think Gamers Nexus 'meh' was a bad take imo, but the Hardware Unboxed one was weird. He says he doesn't consider it ray tracing card because FPS is too low but it beats the 2080 Super - near 60fps (er make that 40fps, but still only 10% behind 3070) at 1440p Ultra in Control with DLSS off in this video. So he's saying the 2080 Super isn't a ray tracing card then either? Seems way too harsh for me and pointless to review a card for what it isn't anyway imo. It also isn't €800. If the price/perf of this card was matched by the others up the stack they would either be cheaper or better surely.

I like HWUB's content but he wears his heart on his sleeve in regards to his own biases. Also a bit of a wind bag - how the tashed one doesn't punch him during their Q&A's is beyond me.

All that said I watch him and Tech Jesus for all the new release goodies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

slade_x wrote: »
    Another update just now, Might as well consolidate them

02/10/2020 queue position 65
    14/10/2020 queue position 62
    23/10/2020 queue position 60
    30/10/2020 queue position 55
    06/11/2020 queue position 51
    13/11/2020 queue position 45
    20/11/2020 queue position 42
    27/11/2020 queue position 40

04/12/2020 queue position 38

AAAAAny day now :rolleyes::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

harmless wrote: »

nope its the new batch 2045 is the first 4 numbers of serial number,

2039 and above is the new connector :D:D:D,

arrived this morning with DPD .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Tony H wrote: »
    nope its the new batch 2045 is the first 4 numbers of serial number,

2039 and above is the new connector :D:D:D,

arrived this morning with DPD .

I bought the 3080 version of this card from Amazon,must check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

My Curry's Gigabyte RTX3070 just arrived as well. God bless whoever posted that a page or two back, seriously.

Can now cancel my RTX3070 with OCUK after five weeks waiting, and wait and see what happens with my missing Fastway RX6800.

I like HWUB's content but he wears his heart on his sleeve in regards to his own biases. Also a bit of a wind bag - how the tashed one doesn't punch him during their Q&A's is beyond me.

All that said I watch him and Tech Jesus for all the new release goodies.

I watched his review again there, as I skipped to the end the first time, and in fairness he isn't that negative about it. I didn't know the 5700xt was such a strong card tbh - this beats it by 20-odd percent which he says is okay and I suppose you would be expecting the 6700xt to make big gains so I can see why the jury is out until AMD show their hand.

The thing is the 6800 is only 25% better than the 3060ti at $580 so how much room do AMD have for the 6700s. They'll have 12gb of RAM I guess but acceptable ray tracing is a no surely. Either way, if stock settles March/April next year could be a brilliant time to buy a GPU, best in years.

Still going to try and get one of these at a good price if I can though as it fits my needs nicely but I'm beginning to realise my keyboard skills aren't what I thought, getting annihalted here :rolleyes:

A bit off topic but I can see serious issue with stock on the 3060ti and probably other cards because of mining.

The 3090 and 3080 use way too much power but the 3060ti can be undervolted to 130 watts and mines at a rate of 60 Mh/s
    For comparison an undervolted 2070 super at 140 watts = 43 Mh/s and a 5700 XT at 140 watts = 50 Mh/s

So if I were to move my PC to China and filled all 6 PCI-e slots(PCI-e x 4 is enough for mining) with 3060ti's
    this is what it would look like. (power usage includes system power as well as what the 6 cards draw)

365ae33063df2e173185c321ade4ef67.png

It would be $210 a month profit with Irish electricity prices and that could tempt people in Europe to try mining.

When there is money to be made there will be corruption so getting the cards for those with the right connections will not be such a challenge.

Low stock levels just means the risk is offset because you can sell the cards easily and for a high price second hand if Etherium becomes more difficult to mine or the price of the coin drops.

A bit off topic but I can see serious issue with stock on the 3060ti and probably other cards because of mining.

The weird thing though is the prices they're popping up at atm aren't actually too bad. Been following part alert on twitter and the odd scalper Amazon link aside the prices can be largely fine. It's just they're literally 1 card being sold. It's f*cking mad. I finally ignored the thing last night for a while and 11 gigabyte OCs turned up and a load of people in the replies with 'got one'.

Then this evening mind factory had a massive drop. Said >5 in stock for all of them and they were available for ages. A definite premium over MSRP, and the desirable ones going a lot quicker, but still plenty most would be happy enough with and actually a lot lower than things like 2070 Supers are going for. It really seems the supply is absolutely terrible, but maybe that is because miners are getting them first. PITA.

The dumb part is, that's profit per month UNTIL EVERYONE IS DOING IT and then the profit drops like a stone.
    But the damage will have already been done.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Most mining is done with aisc mining machines

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware/

Drewgerger wrote: »
    Most mining is done with aisc mining machines

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/mining/hardware/

Of course and it's impossible to mine bitcom for profit on a GPU for a long time now but it's not the only coin.

Things are very different for Ethereum the second most popular coin.

The viability of mining at home using a GPU comes and goes depending on the difficulty,coin price and current GPU computing power per watt.

Right now there is money to be made mining at home so people will. The big advantage of using a GPU is that you can sell most of your setup to gamers when you're done but asic miner become obsolete and are difficult to sell on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Dumb question in regard to rtx cards

I play a fair amount of single player games on my TV using my 2070.

If I get a new TV with hdmi 2.1, will that unlock 4k 120 or do I also need a new card has also has a hdmi 2.1 port?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If I get a new TV with hdmi 2.1, will that unlock 4k 120 or do I also need a new card has also has a hdmi 2.1 port?

Thanks!

Everything has to support it. The TV, graphics card and even the cable. Are their any TVs that are even 120hz?

• Advertisement

Everything has to support it. The TV, graphics card and even the cable. Are their any TVs that are even 120hz?

I can force 1080p @ 120 using the nvidia control panel using my Sony xg90 model. I believe it can go up to 1440p also

Many of the more expensive newly released TV's(mostly OLED but also some LCD) do support 4k 120hz thanks to both Sony and Ms supporting it with the new consoles.

To get 120hz 4k with a PC on these TV's you need a 3000 series Nvidia or 6000 series AMD as it needs a new HDMI port on the card and can't be done with firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yea there's a few. Some of the OLED LGs got an update that allows it and there definitely a Sony and Samsung that offer it.

I can force 1080p @ 120 using the nvidia control panel using my Sony xg90 model. I believe it can go up to 1440p also

On futher inspection
    When go launch a game, it will go back 4k 60 and sometimes crash the tv. Maybe I am better off waiting for a 3000 card and new tv combo..one day :o

Can anyone explain what's happening here, I know DLSS is not in use but it's only 1080p and I also know Ubsoft are poor for optimisation but there are times when you want to play a game even if it is poorly optimised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LkqqgvMyFI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Can anyone explain what's happening here, I know DLSS is not in use but it's only 1080p and I also know Ubsoft are poor for optimisation but there are times when you want to play a game even if it is poorly optimised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LkqqgvMyFI

Texture resolution was set to ultra and required more VRAM than available on the 8G card. I did not see this problem when I played it, my issues were different. On a 2070S the framerate frequently dropped below 40 at 1440p but both the GPU load and CPU load were below 80% - so I suspect some sort on I/O bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The dumb part is, that's profit per month UNTIL EVERYONE IS DOING IT and then the profit drops like a stone.
    But the damage will have already been done.

Trying to get some sort of GPU to go with new build for 2k 1440 UW screen, be that the 3060ti or the rx 6800, but it's near impossible, even the older cards, which I'm reluctant to buy are hard to get also.....

But if it takes so many GPUs around the world, drawing 200-300 watts each, to buy a packet of sweets in the local store with some bits of bitcoin, then we might as well say goodbye to our carbon netural plans :-)

What would we need to run this currency if instead of 19% who currently own some cyrpo (mostly as investments I would say and not daily transactions) and if it became a common daily means of transactions for more than 80% of the population.

I'll never get a card :-(

ForestFire wrote: »
    Trying to get some sort of GPU to go with new build for 2k 1440 UW screen, be that the 3060ti or the rx 6800, but it's near impossible, even the older cards, which I'm reluctant to buy are hard to get also.....
    [...]

I'll never get a card :-(

Have a look out for GTX 1080 Ti - can be had on Adverts for €350 or so (saw one sell for €300 today); €400-odd on eBay.

Else €550 from CEX with 2yr warranty.

It sucks but that's the market right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thanks!

Yes you do need a newer/better HDMI cable that is HDMI 2.1 certified. The Xbox Series X comes bundled with one and I would assume the PS5 does also. But you would also need the latest generation of cards from either Nvidia or AMD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Ordered a 3070 off computeruniverse that said it was in stock and ready to ship yesterday. This morning I got an email saying that it was never in stock but they were expecting it to be delivered by a supplier so they listed it as available and were happy to charge me for it! :mad: Now they can't give me a date as to when it will available, not sure if I should cancel it and keep searching

Advertisement