Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I doubt that they don't have access to one. They build them for other companies. I'm sure they are beavering away on it already.

You can rent supercomputers if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone tried Cyberpunk with their 3080?

Have everything on ultra incl RT, DLSS on performance, and a couple things off like cascaded shadow resolutions, film grain, chromatic abberation, depth of field and lens flare.

Getting 60fps ish most scenes but some drops down to 45ish depending on the scene. 3440x1440 probably is pushing it too.

Think my 3600 might be due for an upgrade to a 5600x or possibly even a 5800x.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

its going to be interesting to see where nvidia go with this rumoured 3080ti.with the 3080 only 10% behind the 3090 (10g vs 24g)..im not sure they have much wiggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I think mindfactory stopped shipping outside of Germany unless you are a company and I have no what computeruniverse.net are like but is this of any use to anyone?

https://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php?search_query=3070

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/search?query=3070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

BloodBath wrote: »
    Hoping for a good 3070ti myself. The 6800 is great but the lack of DLSS and not great RT performance is a bit off putting.

RDNA 2 does have the hardware to do what DLSS does but it hasn't been implemented yet. AMD have a lot of catching up to do.

Hoping for a 12-16gb 3070ti with close to 3080 performance for around £600.

I’Il be all over that if it comes out. Sell my 3070 and buy the 3070 ti.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Seems Nvidia is unhappy with Hardware Unboxed lack of focus on ray tracing in its reviews of the 3000 series GPU's and banned them from receiving founder's edition review sample unless they consider changing their editorial direction.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1337246983682060289

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Azza wrote: »
    Seems Nvidia is unhappy with Hardware Unboxed lack of focus on ray tracing in its reviews of the 3000 series GPU's and banned them from receiving founder's edition review sample unless they consider changing their editorial direction.

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1337246983682060289

In fairness they are ignoring one of the biggest selling points for the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

TitianGerm wrote: »
    In fairness they are ignoring one of the biggest selling points for the cards.

I see their point, Cyberpunk 2077 is the new crysis and ray tracing makes a big difference to visuals and the DLSS + RT core combo is a big selling point. I understand concentrating on rasterisation on the 20 series but there are a lot of games now and the new colsoles that bake in ray tracing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't think they ignored RT completely but rather constantly said it was no more than a gimmick at the moment. Cyberpunk 2077 may have changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

I watched some of their coverage and comments on RT,
    In fairness their main point was that RT was not effective (without a severe performance penalty) for dubious gains in games available right now.
    And anyone buying rtx now for rt games in the future was making a foolish choice.
    As future games would most certainly be more taxing on rt and rasterization hardware. Leading to an even bigger performance hit.

Do we really want to encourage a world where reviewers a punitively punished for not following the marketing guides for all hardware launches?

I've never really got an AMD bias vibe from HUB, and I think this kind of bullying from NVIDIA is extremely worrying.

BTW, am currently on team green.

• Advertisement

Well its a matter of opinion whether ray tracing is currently worth it or not. Hardware unboxed obviously don't think it is but I don't think that justifies Nvidia's actions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Im just glad that they speak their mind and dont do what nvidia/AMD tell them to do....in the past they have even bought their own stuff because suppliers did not send review samples over. I would rather they continue to be impartial then cow down to the suppliers!

Well its a matter of opinion whether ray tracing is currently worth it or not. Hardware unboxed obviously don't think it is but I don't think that justifies Nvidia's actions here.

Its up to the end user to decide if RTX is for them, and not be able to purchase the appropriate card for their choice. Ray tracing is now beyond a novely unless you want to play last gen games, it this gen games that look like last gen. Even console gamers have it now. Its the combo of DLSS and RTX.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Its up to the end user to decide if RTX is for them, and not be able to purchase the appropriate card for their choice. Ray tracing is now beyond a novely unless you want to play last gen games, it this gen games that look like last gen. Even console gamers have it now. Its the combo of DLSS and RTX.

It is of course up to the end user but doesn't don't stop a reviewer from giving their opinion.

It is of course up to the end user but doesn't don't stop a reviewer from giving their opinion.

I suppose that Nvidia feel that if your opinion is that half the use of the card is useless when that is not the case for a lot of buyers, then they will exercise their right to give the cards for review to more balanced reviewers. Just playing devils advocate here, Nvidia can already sell twice the cards they can produce. If a reviewer was doing a Navi card review and really pushed that it cant Ray trace and was useless there would be an issue with that also.

Its all become so fanboyish, and the data so complex and easy to manipulate to push a narrative its hard to know who to trust. Personally I think the HW unboxed guy does crap reviews. I take the view if you are buying a new GPU you probably want to run games with most of the setting maxed, tiers are for resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I suppose that Nvidia feel that if your opinion is that half the use of the card is useless when that is not the case for a lot of buyers, then they will exercise their right to give the cards for review to more balanced reviewers. Just playing devils advocate here, Nvidia can already sell twice the cards they can produce. If a reviewer was doing a Navi card review and really pushed that it cant Ray trace and was useless there would be an issue with that also.

Its all become so fanboyish, and the data so complex and easy to manipulate to push a narrative its hard to know who to trust. Personally I think the HW unboxed guy does crap reviews. I take the view if you are buying a new GPU you probably want to run games with most of the setting maxed, tiers are for resolution.

Well, but RT is kind-of useless. With current generation of hardware, even the most powerful of them, if you enable RT you get underwhelming performance. Sure - Nvidia crushes AMD when it comes to RT performance, but it still is something you don't want to use.

grogi wrote: »
    Well, but RT is kind-of useless. With current generation of hardware, even the most powerful of them, if you enable RT you get underwhelming performance. Sure - Nvidia crushes AMD when it comes to RT performance, but it still is something you don't want to use.

I can get 60fsp on a ultrawide g9 in Cyberpunk at ultra RTX and quality DLSS. Control over 100 FPS maxed. I dont think thats true. Can also go beyond 240 fps on esports titles. Maybe the stoy is that all the card can raster like hell so RTX is one of the few differentiations.

What resolution and GPU you running?

5120x1440 3090

I can get 60fsp on a ultrawide g9 in Cyberpunk at ultra RTX and quality DLSS.
    5120x1440 3090

Ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'd agree RT is not useless, it's far from ideal and we are still paying the price of early adopters but that is true of every new tech. I've used it before with a 2080ti on Metro and Control because the gains were worth the (substantial) performance hit to me. It's preference and I always prefer having the option instead of being hard locked-out. I held on until the 6900XT release and if it had beaten the 3090 soundly, even by say 10%, I would have forgone DLSS and RT to get it, but that didn't happen and my 3090 arrived today. Again I know it won't be perfect for RT at super high res and refresh rates but it will be good enough I think that the option will be welcome.

I'm surprised you're getting that level of performance, I know the resolution your running is a little less demanding than 4K but according Toms Hardware, they averaged 54.5FPS with 1% low's of 48.5FPS with there RTX 3090 at 4K with DLSS set to performance.

I'm surprised you're getting that level of performance, I know the resolution your running is a little less demanding than 4K but according Toms Hardware, they averaged 54.5FPS with 1% low's of 48.5FPS with there RTX 3090 at 4K with DLSS set to performance.

88% of the pixels, usually 10 -15% more performance, also the FOV is at 100 so there is less detail rendered out on the extremes of the screen. Almost bang on 60 most of the time with some dips but gsync sorts that out, mild overclock on the 3090 and a 5950x processor. Its a demanding game, but its beautiful and its really what this next gen hardware is there to do. I could raster just fine with 1080ti at UHD, so if your use case is super high refresh rate I would suggest thats just as niche a use case as wanting RTX on. No matter who you are there is a card you cant get that fits your use case.

I agree wit Fitz on this one if you don't mind the lack of ray tracing the 1080ti is a perfect fit for 5120x1440 medium 30 fps. However if you want 4k you may need something with better rasterisation performance. The lack of DLSS really hurts the 1080ti at 4k.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

slade_x wrote: »
    Another update just now, Might as well consolidate them

02/10/2020 queue position 65
    14/10/2020 queue position 62
    23/10/2020 queue position 60
    30/10/2020 queue position 55
    06/11/2020 queue position 51
    13/11/2020 queue position 45
    20/11/2020 queue position 42
    27/11/2020 queue position 40
    04/12/2020 queue position 38

AAAAAny day now :rolleyes::(

11/12/2020 queue position 38 :confused: so this weeks is just a reminder of last weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

11/12/2020 queue position 38 :confused: so this weeks is just a reminder of last weeks
    if you don't have by January would you have to pay customs on your RTX card.

rob808 wrote: »
    if you don't have by January would you have to pay customs on your RTX card.

Is there custom duty on graphics cards?

grogi wrote: »
    Is there custom duty on graphics cards?

There is VAT on most items that come from outside the EU and sometimes duty too.
    They are even doing away with the €22 Euro allowance next year and all items from outside the EU will have duty and VAT added.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

harmless wrote: »
    I agree wit Fitz on this one if you don't mind the lack of ray tracing the 1080ti is a perfect fit for 5120x1440 medium 30 fps. However if you want 4k you may need something with better rasterisation performance. The lack of DLSS really hurts the 1080ti at 4k.

If you're buying 5120x1440 or 4k high refresh monitors for gaming you better be buying the best gpu on the market as well. Even then performance is lackluster in a few games. Who's using a 1080ti for either? Nowhere near enough power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Laughing at the guy on the Cyberpunk thread who legit asked "wondering should I get it on base PS4 over my old PC" and his old PC being a 6700K and 1080Ti. How could people with such expensive systems be completely oblivious.

Advertisement