Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Was probably what Hardware unboxed was hoping would happen when they went public with the issue. Its nice to see tech youtubers sticking up from one another. Its in their own best interest to do so. Hardware unboxed might actually benefit from the publicity this episode brought them, which certainly would be an own goal from Nvidia's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Going to watch more of Linus' content - not the WAN show, I'm not that bored!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Azza wrote: »
    Was probably what Hardware unboxed was hoping would happen when they went public with the issue. Its nice to see tech youtubers sticking up from one another. Its in their own best interest to do so. Hardware unboxed might actually benefit from the publicity this episode brought them, which certainly would be an own goal from Nvidia's point of view.

After looking into it, the problem I see is that HW unboxed did cover the RT and DLSS fairly and throughly? Dont know what Nvidias point is on this one. And while I know people are quick to anger at Nvidia as a company making decisions that maxamise the profits for the shareholders, this time I think they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    And here I am stuck with a 1060 :o

Yeah but when you do upgrade the difference will be huge :)

Kind of off-topic but I dont think there's going to be supply issues in the new year. AMD need to get their 6700s out and mining seems a different proposition now than 3 years ago imo. Could be wrong but can't see people going back to putting rigs in their homes again etc., it seems to have moved on and got more professional. Kind of a "been there, done that" vibe around it I feel.

Could be wrong but when you see cards pop up at good prices (especially EVGA :confused:) all it needs surely is for production to get to any sort of reasonable levels. Hopefully the consoles are having the major effect and that will drop by mid January surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Trying to figure out why I cant use HDR on games. Some problem with 3090?

Finally figured screen doesnt support HDR

*bangs head off keyboard*

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Trying to figure out why I cant use HDR on games. Some problem with 3090?

Finally figured screen doesnt support HDR

*bangs head off keyboard*

If what I've heard is true you're not missing anything, the HDR support is a mess on windows right now. And the HDR experience on the most expensive monitors is usually described as ok at best.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

They have finally got HDR sorted out on Windows, the issue is that most monitors only offer entry level HDR support or even below the minimum standard of HDR400.

I think there is only 2 or 3 PC gaming monitors that have what what be considered good HDR as in HDR1000 support and those are the super expensive monitors, like the Acer Predator.

Having said that, even with the basic entry level HDR400 monitor I have, its still worth using it in my opinion over leaving it switched off.

Having seen HDR on an OLED TV, I'm very impressed with it. I'm hoping upcoming monitors will offer better HDR support in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Also not all can do HDR at their max refresh rates, FreeSync/VRR can be an inhibitor too. What's worse is that is not always obvious, my Samsung monitor gives no error, tells me it's in HDR mode at 120Hz/FreeSync on but it looks crap (so basically the monitor is in the mode but it's not receiving HDR from the source). Drop it to 100Hz and turn FreeSync off and it's fine. On an OLED tv attached to the same PC it's always glorious :), but that is maxing at 60Hz with no VRR of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Hoping for cheaper but if anyone wants an rtx 3070 appears in stock as of 13:21 here: https://m.cclonline.com/product/333689/GV-N3070VISION-OC-8GD/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-GeForce-RTX-3070-VISION-OC-8GB-Overclocked-Graphics-Card/VGA5921/

Google search only, not vouching for it.

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Hoping for cheaper but if anyone wants an rtx 3070 appears in stock as of 13:21 here: https://m.cclonline.com/product/333689/GV-N3070VISION-OC-8GD/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-GeForce-RTX-3070-VISION-OC-8GB-Overclocked-Graphics-Card/VGA5921/

Sold out now.

• Advertisement

I've bought few items from them before, never had an issue.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I've bought few items from them before, never had an issue.

Yeah I'd second CCL. Bought a pre-built machine from them and received a little after sales support, they were great to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Got an email from them that the XFX 6800XT was in stock as I was on the website.....jumped straight into the AMD section and tried to buy.....stuck with the "Too many people are trying to add to their basket" message.

I was literally 1 sec from it going live and nada, Zippo....nothing.

****in Joke at this stage tbh.

3 different 3080s just went live for sale on CCL now if you lucky enough.....just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

3 different 3080s just went live for sale on CCL now if you lucky enough.....just a heads up.

Appreciate the heads up but £849 is the price of admission.

Can someone explain to me how I've gone from thinking £500 for a GPU is madness to managing to justify to myself that if I'm going for the 3070ti (presumably £569) I might as well get a 3080 now and be done with it.

Appreciate the heads up but £849 is the price of admission.

Can someone explain to me how I've gone from thinking £500 for a GPU is madness to managing to justify to myself that if I'm going for the 3070ti (presumably £569) I might as well get a 3080 now and be done with it.

The longer the madness goes on the more and more I just want to be done with it.....there are 3090s showing up now and staying in stock, so so close to just getting one my head is wrecked at this stage. Even if I do wait for the 3080ti I will have to go through the same bollox all over again!!!

Really hate the way CCL online do it, you get an email and even secs after you are on there it goes into a big spam for 150 tries to get the card into the basket for you....I bet its not even trying to get the GPU and is just leaving you hanging there.

Even now as I type they are still listed and available even if they are all sold ages ago.

The longer the madness goes on the more and more I just want to be done with it.....there are 3090s showing up now and staying in stock, so so close to just getting one my head is wrecked at this stage. Even if I do wait for the 3080ti I will have to go through the same bollox all over again!!!

Really hate the way CCL online do it, you get an email and even secs after you are on there it goes into a big spam for 150 tries to get the card into the basket for you....I bet its not even trying to get the GPU and is just leaving you hanging there.

Even now as I type they are still listed and available even if they are all sold ages ago.

I don't think the rtx30 series actually exists. You are all playing with my head. I'm stuck in some sort of wicked mind game.
    "End program"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TwistyPepper

Found myself in exactly the same boat. Had to convince myself for weeks before their release to spend ~€400 on a 3060Ti, and the longer I'm unable to buy one I'm ready to just pony up and pay ~€600-650 for a 3070 as soon as I see one in stock.

The lack of availability combined with Cyberpunk running terribly on my RX 480 is forcing me to make irrational decisions.

I don't think the rtx30 series actually exists. You are all playing with my head. I'm stuck in some sort of wicked mind game.
    "End program"

He knows to much.

**snipers take him out**

All Eyes On Rafah

"End program"

Well my friend you should of took the blue pill instead of the red pill...and you would be oblivious to all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

"End program"

** waving a hand **

These aren't the GPUs you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Well my friend you should of took the blue pill instead of the red pill...and you would be oblivious to all of it.

But, but... isnt the blue pill for tent not standing up?
    So You say that I need to use "middle man" to hit f5? No wonder I didnt get any :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TwistyPepper

Has anyone had any luck snagging a 30 series card this week?
    I've set up alerts on a load of sites (all the usual suspects Scan, CCL etc., using both the StockInformer Discord server and Distill) and have been checking very regularly. I've even managed to get to checkout with one in my cart 3 separate times but each time they expired by the time I tried to pay.
    Feels like I'm fighting a losing battle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Even if you manage to get a card now you'll probably be waiting until after Christmas to get it. Been tearing my hair out trying to get An Post to send me any sort of detail about my GPU that was handed off to them from DHL last Wednesday, they told me today that they never received it and to contact DHL about it

RTX 3070 for 619.99gbp available here as at 17:21

Has anyone had any luck snagging a 30 series card this week?
    I've set up alerts on a load of sites (all the usual suspects Scan, CCL etc., using both the StockInformer Discord server and Distill) and have been checking very regularly. I've even managed to get to checkout with one in my cart 3 separate times but each time they expired by the time I tried to pay.
    Feels like I'm fighting a losing battle here.

Just caved today and got a 3090, just happened to check SCAN and they are 3 listed so I just bought it.

Apparently the 3080ti has been pushed back to Feb/Mar and tbh even if I did wait for the card chances are I would not get one and have to do the merry dance all over again.

So Cyberpunk and a 3090 with a 3900x @ 4.5ghz all cores for CHRISTMAS!!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Did you mean the green pill?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Just caved today and got a 3090, just happened to check SCAN and they are 3 listed so I just bought it.

Apparently the 3080ti has been pushed back to Feb/Mar and tbh even if I did wait for the card chances are I would not get one and have to do the merry dance all over again.

So Cyberpunk and a 3090 with a 3900x @ 4.5ghz all cores for CHRISTMAS!!!!

:D

have my 3090 (FE, much prefer the FE look to the partner cards) a couple of weeks now, it is nice to not have to worry too much about cyberpuknk issues, at least not as much as others. i would guess though that, just like me, soon after getting the 3090 installed you'll be looking at 5900x with an itchy buy now finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Make that £601 now.

Advertisement