Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

harmless wrote: »
    Loads of 3090s in stock from scan now, fairly wide selection.

I have to admit, if I had found a 3090 at Nvidias MSRP of £1,399 I would have pulled the trigger.

Now that there is less demand for 3090's it might not be long until the situation improves for the 3080 stock.

Scan blocks me unless I go through a proxy. You are also talking about "https://scan.co.uk/" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Scan blocks me unless I go through a proxy. You are also talking about "https://scan.co.uk/" ?

Yup and the same happened to me a few weeks ago when I refreshed the page too many times.

It's protection from bots ordering but it sometimes flags a real person :(
    I don't think I was blocked for more than a day.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Computer parts have no customs duty. Check the post Brexit ordering thread for more details.

Could you point me in the direction of this thread please? Thanks!

Could you point me in the direction of this thread please? Thanks!

Is this helpful?

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

That was very helpful. Then it would be correct to say that Prime orders on Amazon.co.uk (no matter the value) will pay the Irish VAT rate automatically and there will be no customs when the goods reach my front door?

• Advertisement

That was very helpful. Then it would be correct to say that Prime orders on Amazon.co.uk (no matter the value) will pay the Irish VAT rate automatically and there will be no customs when the goods reach my front door?

With the agreement today there will be no tariffs(duty) on any goods from the UK.

Everything should remain the same for Amazon UK, they are registered for VAT in Ireland and charge the Irish rate when you enter your address as Ireland.

The complications will be with smaller retailers who can't justify the expense of registering and collecting Irish VAT.
    These businesses will probably try to charge you UK VAT as that is the only country they have registered VAT payments with.

You would have to contact them first and see if they will sell to you VAT free and then you pay the VAT when it enters the country.

Some businesses will accommodate this and some won't.

For example the last time I ordered for Scan.co.uk they charged me UK VAT, which was fine because you are only expected to pay VAT once on the same item within the EU.
    But now if they charge UK VAT you will still be expected to pay VAT once it enters the EU.

With the agreement today there will be no tariffs(duty) on any goods from the UK.

Everything should remain the same for Amazon UK, they are registered for VAT in Ireland and charge the Irish rate when you enter your address as Ireland.

The complications will be with smaller retailers who can't justify the expense of registering and collecting Irish VAT.
    These businesses will probably try to charge you UK VAT as that is the only country they have registered VAT payments with.

You would have to contact them first and see if they will sell to you VAT free and then you pay the VAT when it enters the country.

Some businesses will accommodate this and some won't.

For example the last time I ordered for Scan.co.uk they charged me UK VAT, which was fine because you are only expected to pay VAT once on the same item within the EU.
    But now if they charge UK VAT you will still be expected to pay VAT once it enters the EU.

That was how I read it. Might just keep my Amazon Prime membership so with .co.uk Amazon!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Interestingly enough, OCUK charge Irish vat and have an Irish vat registration on their invoices.

liamog wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, OCUK charge Irish vat and have an Irish vat registration on their invoices.

Good to know. I don't order from them often as their prices can be a bit excessive however sometimes they have stock that is difficult to find elsewhere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Good to know. I don't order from them often as their prices can be a bit excessive however sometimes they have stock that is difficult to find elsewhere.

Same here, occasionally they'll do things at RRP when other sites are out of stock. Much more of my business goes to Scan!

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    Same here, occasionally they'll do things at RRP when other sites are out of stock. Much more of my business goes to Scan!

As far as I can tell Scan have not registered for VAT in Ireland, I guess their sales to Ireland must be under €75000 a year.

From reading their site it seemed they were happy to fill out VAT 407 forms for customers outside the UK and EU.

So I assume they will now fill out the same form for EU customers.

So you won't be able to order direct from website you will have to email them the list of items you want and they can invoice you without UK VAT added.

When it enters the country the courier will pay Irish VAT and then charge you VAT + €10 admin fee(maybe a bit more if they get greedy)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I never bought anything from scan but have from OCUK and found them to be great and quick delivery too but this was in a time when parts were readily available for the most part. Corona and then also manufacturing delays(probably due to corona as well) have caused havoc and then look at all the trucks held up. Many of them would have been transporting Christmas items.

The 3060ti already launched with 8gb.

A 12 GB 3060 will never happen. It would be idiocy.

Asus did an oopsie and leaked 12Gb 3060 and 20Gb 3080ti info

https://rog.asus.com/support

bd2dda6cf170e93d398a777af26ab9e7.png
    06a9dc0e6d694d348f7a7ce3a9b3a901.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Why release a Ti with only 8GB and then release a standard 3060 with 12GB if it was the other way around I would understand.

Why release a Ti with only 8GB and then release a standard 3060 with 12GB if it was the other way around I would understand.

They probably have an idea now of how much memory the lower tier AMD cards will have and want to compete.
    Some people will pick a card just based solely on how much VRAM it has, so why not sell a 3060 with it's cut down die but more memory at a similar same point to the 3060ti

There should be a 3060 with less memory at some stage.
    The 3060 will have slower memory bus compared to the 3060ti.

Another interesting rumor is that the 20Gb 3080ti will be the exact same die(same cuda core count) as the 3090 but a slightly slower memory bus.
    Possibly for $999 to be direct competition to the 6900xt. Of course if Nvidia say $999 MSRP it could really be $1100 or even $1200 once the cards go on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

3060ti was designed before they knew what AMD were doing, 3060 with crushing AMD in mind. The 6700 series is going to be a disappointment though so I dont think they needed to bother.

I'm waiting for 3070 rumours. Will we get 16GB DDR6 or 10GB GDDR6X? Maybe both? A ti and a Super?

Willing to bet the 3080ti will be $999. It's all about mindshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There better be a 12-16gb 3070ti if there's a 12gb 3060.

Still waiting for a card in the stack that makes sense. The 3070 and 3080 are a joke.

BloodBath wrote: »
    There better be a 12-16gb 3070ti if there's a 12gb 3060.

Still waiting for a card in the stack that makes sense. The 3070 and 3080 are a joke.

16GB DDR6 3070ti is the current speculation, I don't think Nvidia will want to offer DDR6X on anything lower than the 3080.

So many rumors floating about, there is talk of Ampere on 7nm at some stage. That would be good as 8nm Ampere is really power hungry.

I don't care about that, it just needs to have enough memory.

The larger memory amount will also mean a bigger bus so you get better bandwidth anyway.

8-10gb is not enough for a high end card in 2021.

BloodBath wrote: »
    8-10gb is not enough for a high end card in 2021.
    It really isn't enough and Nvidia seem to have realised they made a mistake but they can't fix it until the supply chain is restored.

I remember when I got the GTX 1070 in 2016 thinking that it had way more memory than I would ever need but actually it has come in useful.

I will be keeping my next card for just as long so it better have more memory than I need right now.

• Advertisement

Exactly, if I'm buying a €600+ graphics card I'd expect it to be good for at least 2-3 years. Those 8-10gb cards are not gonna cut it without turning down texture settings in some games. Not acceptable at their price point when we were getting 8gb cards in the mid range over 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

It really isn't enough and Nvidia seem to have realised they made a mistake but they can't fix it until the supply chain is restored.

I remember when I got the GTX 1070 in 2016 thinking that it had way more memory than I would ever need but actually it has come in useful.

I will be keeping my next card for just as long so it better have more memory than I need right now.

Is it a mistake though or is it just a discrete way of bottlenecking your gpu so you'll have to upgrade sooner? All I'll say is fair f*cks to them for coming up with it

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Is it a mistake though or is it just a discrete way of bottlenecking your gpu so you'll have to upgrade sooner? All I'll say is fair f*cks to them for coming up with it

It was a mistake as soon as AMD released cards with good performance and more VRAM.

If both Nvidia and AMD had loads of stock right now AMD would be gaining ground. However by the time stock is back to normal Nvidia will have cards available with plenty of VRAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

It was a mistake as soon as AMD released cards with good performance and more VRAM.

I think you're being generous to nvidia tbh. It was odd right off the bat to have such low RAM in the 70 & 80 cards. The existing consoles already had 10+ available and it was known the soon to be released gen had 16. And as said above 8 had become the standard at the mid range for cards for a long time. Maybe nvidia knows something and this is actually enough with optimisation/new tech or something, but what a pain if the cards start to get hamstrung by it...For sale 3070 - 6 mths old, great for 1080p gaming :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

slade_x wrote: »

Consolidated:
    02/10/2020 queue position 65
    14/10/2020 queue position 62
    23/10/2020 queue position 60
    30/10/2020 queue position 55
    06/11/2020 queue position 51
    13/11/2020 queue position 45
    20/11/2020 queue position 42
    27/11/2020 queue position 40
    04/12/2020 queue position 38
    11/12/2020 queue position 38
    19/12/2020 queue position 38

I wasn't even going to bother posting since there was no change from the previous week but I received a reply from revenue

11/12/2020 - Customs - General import and/or export
    query

22/12/2020 15:15 Status : Completed

Good afternoon

Unfortunately
    if the goods arrive after the 1st January 2021, then full import formalities
    will apply. This will include the payment of any duties of VAT that may apply to
    the products.

The import formalities are
    set out here:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-tr...ritain-gb.aspx

Regards

Trader Outreach

team

Haven't really been online much but I don't know how I missed this

Brexit: Boris Johnson hails free trade deal with EU

The basics

• A Brexit deal has been agreed, days before a deadline. It means that the UK and the EU can continue to trade without extra taxes being put on goods - but we don't know all the details yet.
    • What took so long? The UK voted to leave the EU in 2016 and actually left on 31 January 2020, but leaders had until the end of 2020 to work out a trade deal.
    • There are big changes ahead. Although it's a trade deal that has been agreed, there will also be changes to how people travel between the EU and UK, and to the way they live and work.

This falls more under politics but lets not discuss it here outside of the realms of some of us actually keeping our pre orders from the uk!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ye know I'm still contemplating what to do with the 3080. I have one and could easily sell it tomorrow for what I bought it for.

Right now,regardless of how you feel about VRAM,its actually a beast right now. It absolutely smashes everything ive thrown at it. Paired with a 9700K with a 4.9Ghz all core overclock its truely 1440p ultra settings 144Hz gaming

I figure Nvidia decided that a wide bus and the fastest memory would give enough bandwidth,but givin the competition i reckon they didn't go far enough. The cache from AMD kind of came from left field but provides a very good option to use slower memory but still keep up the overall bandwidth. The only drawback being that it doesn't quite get their at 4K. Still though,it's quite a clever approach thinking about it

If I was sitting on a 12GB GDDRX6 gpu I'd be happy enough that it would suffice for 3-5 years but yeah the 10GB puts the 3080 in a position where you couldn't really be sure it would be enough over the same time period

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

It would be funny if all computer parts were the same imo, like they only had the ability to make one of each thing.

CPU, PSU, GPU whatever. Some guy at the end of the assembly line randomly assigning titles to components as they come off "i5...i7...i5...i9...i9 again".

Us mugs in front of our monitors imagining we can see differences between the performance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ye know I'm still contemplating what to do with the 3080. I have one and could easily sell it tomorrow for what I bought it for.

Right now,regardless of how you feel about VRAM,its actually a beast right now. It absolutely smashes everything ive thrown at it. Paired with a 9700K with a 4.9Ghz all core overclock its truely 1440p ultra settings 144Hz gaming

I figure Nvidia decided that a wide bus and the fastest memory would give enough bandwidth,but givin the competition i reckon they didn't go far enough. The cache from AMD kind of came from left field but provides a very good option to use slower memory but still keep up the overall bandwidth. The only drawback being that it doesn't quite get their at 4K. Still though,it's quite a clever approach thinking about it

If I was sitting on a 12GB GDDRX6 gpu I'd be happy enough that it would suffice for 3-5 years but yeah the 10GB puts the 3080 in a position where you couldn't really be sure it would be enough over the same time period

Its the only reason I went with the 3090, I was desperate for the 3080ti with the extra VRAM but when it was pushed back I said its now or never. Id say my 3090 will serve me very well for 2-3 nol probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Simi

If both Nvidia and AMD had loads of stock right now AMD would be gaining ground. However by the time stock is back to normal Nvidia will have cards available with plenty of VRAM.

I don't know if AMD would be gaining all that much ground to be honest. They're still playing catch-up in 4K performance and feature set.

Unless their version of DLSS is a universal toggle and picture quality is 90% there, I just don't think they're going to steal significant market share.

The 10 GB VRAM is certainly an odd choice (why not 12?), but we still don't know how much it will hamstring the cards in future games. Nvidia may develop tricks to mitigate it's impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The memory capacity is linked to the bus width AFAIK. 12GB would have meant the same bus as the 3090.

Advertisement