Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Don't know if why curry's ireland don't stock these. There's clearly a demand for them!

Would be also nice to have local retailer to buy FE cards from also.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Don't know if why curry's ireland don't stock these. There's clearly a demand for them!

The UK division of Currys gets priority. When UK stores have more stock than they can sell then you will see them on sale here.
    Currys Ireland get one small shipment of Gigabyte 3070's a few months ago I'm not expecting more anytimes soon.
    The only plus side is at least Currys Ireland do sell for RRP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

UK store , with more demand in the UK than it can meet, decides in the weeks just before brexit to keep all stock in the UK and sell it immediately anyway. Can hardly blame them

mossym wrote: »
    UK store , with more demand in the UK than it can meet, decides in the weeks just before brexit to keep all stock in the UK and sell it immediately anyway. Can hardly blame them
    Kept most stock in England. The vast majority of 3080's have been collection only in England.

Stops scalpers from buying them and as you said the demand is so high there is no need to move the very limited stock to other warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Tried COD cold war since i got it free with new gpu.

Downloaded the texture pack and enabled ultra ray tracing and it is very pretty indeed.

Hammers the whole system though,was seeing usually between 90-100% usage for the 3080 targeting 120fps @ 1440p

Ive tried a few other RT games but im not sold yet,it looks amazing but is just such a pig to run that im not sure its worth it.

Probably going to be selling the 3080 for €750(What i paid because of paypal)in the next week or two. Probably sooner if it wasnt for covid.

Going to then wait for a 6800 XT,the extra memory and 1440p performance are whats selling me. Especially since the 3080 is one of the best RT cards atm and it still struggles at RT whats the point. Only thing ill miss out on is DLSS imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My friend sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

EoinHef wrote: »

Downloaded the texture pack and enabled ultra ray tracing and it is very pretty indeed.

Hammers the whole system though,was seeing usually between 90-100% usage for the 3080 targeting 120fps @ 1440p

Ive tried a few other RT games but im not sold yet,it looks amazing but is just such a pig to run that im not sure its worth it.

Probably going to be selling the 3080 for €750(What i paid because of paypal)in the next week or two. Probably sooner if it wasnt for covid.

Going to then wait for a 6800 XT,the extra memory and 1440p performance are whats selling me. Especially since the 3080 is one of the best RT cards atm and it still struggles at RT whats the point. Only thing ill miss out on is DLSS imo

It does look amazing maxed out on ultra with all the bells and whistles I was very impressed. Control looks very good too maxed out with the RT on....but I get you it was the whole reason I wanted the 3080ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

I'm getting the same with a new 3060Ti and 5600x.... CPU maxing out in Cyberpunk bringing FPS down to below 10. Makes it unplayable for about 30 seconds and happens pretty often and regardless if the settings are dialed down low. Very annoying.

Not sure if it's the game or hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My friend sent you a PM.

Hahaha, so did I. Sellers marker for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

GPU should be hammered, that's what they're there for :pac:

Were you getting 120FPS?

• Advertisement

corvus4906 wrote: »
    I'm getting the same with a new 3060Ti and 5600x.... CPU maxing out in Cyberpunk bringing FPS down to below 10. Makes it unplayable for about 30 seconds and happens pretty often. Very annoying.

Not sure if it's the game or hardware.

VRAM limitation according to HUB.

Ill make sure to post here first when im selling it,ive just got a bit of college stuff to do the next few days.

Got the PMs,ill respond to them when im ready to go,probably the start of next week.

VRAM limitation according to HUB.

What's VRAM?
    What's HUB?

Explain like i'm 5 because I just put the PC together... that was a challenge. And i'm not too experienced with the 'making it perform well' part.

GPU should be hammered, that's what they're there for :pac:

Were you getting 120FPS?

Pretty close to it yeah. Lighter sections you would see a locked 120fps(Id set max refresh of monitor to 120Hz) but in general about between 100-115fps most of the time.

Adaptive sync works really well with the game,feels very silky. Also had Nvidia latency reducer enabled,mouse input feels very good.

What's VRAM?
    What's HUB?

Explain like i'm 5 because I just put the PC together... that was a challenge. And i'm not too experienced with the 'making it perform well' part.

The amount of memory on the card (8GB) is the limiting factor. HUB is Hardware Unboxed which is a Youtube Channel. They were testing the 2080 and ran into similar issues.

Pretty close to it yeah. Lighter sections you would see a locked 120fps(Id set max refresh of monitor to 120Hz) but in general about between 100-115fps most of the time.

Adaptive sync works really well with the game,feels very silky. Also had Nvidia latency reducer enabled,mouse input feels very good.

Stop it or you'll get another PM. Must resist must resist. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

What's VRAM?
    What's HUB?

VRAM is the memory on the Graphics Card (Video RAM). Not to be confused with the DDR4 RAM which is the memory available for your processor (CPU). Both are types of RAM (Random Access Memory), but the former is pre-installed inside the graphics card, while the latter was added by yourself, in slots on the motherboard.

HUB is Hardware Unboxed, a YouTuber.

The amount of memory on the card (8GB) is the limiting factor. HUB is Hardware Unboxed which is a Youtube Channel. They were testing the 2080 and ran into similar issues.

so when this issue happens....task manager showed CPU at like 99/100% ... MSI afterburner shows the GPU as relatively OK though.

Does this indicate something different.... or is the issue in the Graphics card...and if so.... why the hell are these 30xx's popular if they have this issue?!? it it something that can be fixed? or the 30xx series is a bit of a dud?

Sorry just reread what you posted... the CPU is maxing out? That shouldn't be happening with a 5600X imho.

Edit: 30 series is great it's just that one or two games go beyond the 8GB VRAM when they have all the settings cranked.

Sorry just reread what you posted... the CPU is maxing out? That shouldn't be happening with a 5600X imho.

Edit: 30 series is great it's just that one or two games go beyond the 8GB VRAM when they have all the settings cranked.

Yeah the issue for sure seems to correlate to CPU usage % according to task manager. No idea really how to approach troubleshooting it. as it's intermittent when in the game. 5 mins could be perfect ...then it hits. I get 63 average FPS on max settings when it's running smooth. I've seen form reddit posts some people reporting similar regardless of the settings being on low vs high.

i thought maybe it could be my ram with XMP enabled but i disabled that and the issue still happened. (i had other crackling audio issues before with the XMP on the Ram trying to make it run at it's designed 3600mhz... in the end i had to lower the mhz to resolve that issue.)

• Advertisement

Got internet security or anti-virus running in the background?

When you set the RAM to a slower speed did you adjust the timings?

Got internet security or anti-virus running in the background?

Windows defender and Avast free version. The build is only a week old

I'd try it without Avast, but that's just a bit of a guess tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You can save some time by using Process Explorer (Microsoft/Sysinternals), https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer . You can use it's system information/history function to ID which process is causing the spikes. There's a good guide on it at https://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-identify-processes-that-cause-high-cpu-utilization-spikes-in-windows.html .

Also quickly do you have the Epic game launcher open during gameplay? They did have a recent bug with unnecessary CPU usage, not enough in itself to tank the system but it did contribute to heat which in turn could cause throttling.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    You can save some time by using Process Explorer (Microsoft/Sysinternals), https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer . You can use it's system information/history function to ID which process is causing the spikes. There's a good guide on it at https://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-identify-processes-that-cause-high-cpu-utilization-spikes-in-windows.html .

Also quickly do you have the Epic game launcher open during gameplay? They did have a recent bug with unnecessary CPU usage, not enough in itself to tank the system but it did contribute to heat which in turn could cause throttling.

I'll try fall through that thanks.I would have the GOG game launcher in the background but that doesn't show up with any CPU usage really in task manager. this all sounds like i've a bogey 5600x

Now that most AIB's have issued their expected MSRP price increase on all 3000 series cards because of new tariffs in the US on these Chinese imports.
    Just one example of many, TUF Gaming RTX 3080 OC went from $749.99 to $859.99 MSRP.

Are people still confident that we will see this card another other like it selling close to the MSRP of the FE cards once stock levels improve?
    I know these extra tarrifs are not applied here in Europe but it would be very unusual for there to be a lower MSRP in Europe than the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's the last of the problems but I don't see that affecting us here at all. It's a US tax.

I'd be far more worried about the current crypto bubble skyrocketing gpu prices for the foreseeable future.

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's the last of the problems but I don't see that affecting us here at all. It's a US tax.

I'd be far more worried about the current crypto bubble skyrocketing gpu prices for the foreseeable future.
    I'm not expecting much change in the stock situation until at least the end of Q1.

It's just he AIB's were already struggling to bring their lower tier cards to market at close to Nvidia's MSRP, I can see them using this to increase prices world wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't think any of that matters as much as this crypto bubble. I remember the last 1.

There will be no MRSP GPU's as long as those cryptos are riding high.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    I don't think any of that matters as much as this crypto bubble. I remember the last 1.

There will be no MRSP GPU's as long as those cryptos are riding high.

I think it does matter, crypto will crash again eventually and even if that is still a long way off cards will return to MSRP. Only this time the MSRP will have increased.

Advertisement