Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

So you're worrying about something that won't impact prices for the next 6-12 months + nearly as much as the main factor atm which is crypto. Ethereum has exploded in value as well which the gpu's are good at mining.

Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

BloodBath wrote: »
    So you're worrying about something that won't impact prices for the next 6-12 months + nearly as much as the main factor atm which is crypto. Ethereum has exploded in value as well which the gpu's are good at mining.

Doesn't make sense.

Yes as I plan to continue to buying PC parts in the future.

Cyrpto is temporary while MSRP increases are usually permanent. It will increase prices for all the generations to come.

MSRP's are far from permanent, the GPU wars are only heating up and as we get closer to 5nm, the 7nm process will become less loaded and cheaper on top of better yields.

Apple have tied down most of TSMC's 5nm production as soon as it's available. I'd have total confidence in significant price drops on 7nm stuff once things calm down if it wasn't for crypto.

BloodBath wrote: »
    MSRP's are far from permanent, the GPU wars are only heating up and as we get closer to 5nm, the 7nm process will become less loaded and cheaper on top of better yields. I'd have total confidence in significant price drops once things calm down if it wasn't for crypto.

The previous USD MSRP are not profitable now and perhaps never were on the current gen.

AMD and Nvidia will compete on price but at a new higher price for all tiers.

Until they can't sell at that price and are forced to drop. There's a limited market for people spending 500-1000+ on gpu's. That is until crypto explodes like now. TSMC can afford to charge a premium as well as their 7nm process is in high demand. Nvidia couldn't even secure an order with them so were forced to use Samsungs inferior 8nm process.

That demand will drop once 5nm becomes available and apple (their biggest customer) switches from 7nm to 5nm.

Nvidia and AMD are at the mercy of these fabs and both got fairly screwed this time around as they are relatively small customers even with the consoles on AMD's side. It's nothing compared to what Apple sells in a year. Close to 200 million devices with TSMC 7nm in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

When ye look at the market this kinda stuff was bound to happen,especially as processes have shrunk and the amount of fabs that can make those processes at a profit has gotten smaller.

Intels problems getting below 14nm++++++ have been apparent for awhile and now I'm reading in the business section they are being advised to potentially outsoure production.

That leaves samsung on 8nm and TSMC currently on 7nm the only places producing chips for an awful lot of products. No wonder supply is shocking,add in covid and crypto and their seems to be a perfect storm of a ****show.

No sign of say PS5s in stock in ireland since before Christmas really either. Its not just GPUs.

I have said before that AMD and Nvidia could do well to take a lesson from MS and Sony in controlling pricing a bit better as it is a free for all but demand is just sky high

Such a large market these days but has such limited production capacity and when you think about it a handful of companies are totally dominant,would make you wonder if Nvidia should be allowed to buy ARM. Least its something independent competition,monopolies are not good obviously

It's a problem that might only get worse. We are approaching the limits of silicon and intel who were the masters of it for decades are still stuck at 14nm despite pumping billions and years into trying to get 10nm up and running, and still failing.

TSMC themselves might struggle to get below 5nm so where do we go from there? 5nm is not going be the big jumps we're used to either. They will find ways to cut power consumption elsewhere with more efficient designs but maybe also expensive designs to make that work.

TSMC's roadmap has 5nm pinned for the end of this year with 3nm pinned for 2022. Maybe they can get there but if they have no competition then prices are gonna be huge and the roadmap ends at 3nm. That's pretty much the limit of silicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

So I guess we are out of luck for founders edition cards now that scan isn't shipping to Ireland?
    Well unless you want to use addresspal and add 21% to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

MailboxDE and whoever the German supplier is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Good point.
    I see a few other UK stores have stopped shipping outside the UK too so probably good to get MailboxDE set up to have some more German options anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

dloob wrote: »
    So I guess we are out of luck for founders edition cards now that scan isn't shipping to Ireland?
    Well unless you want to use addresspal and add 21% to the price.

Scan state they will revisit this stance by end of January, so maybe worth waiting

• Shipments of a value above EUR 500 are accepted for further transportation only if insured.

About €40 - €45 to have a GPU redirected to Ireland with adequate insurance. They won't sent it until you pay for extended insurance.

Considerably cheaper than using Addresspal when you include both Irish and UK VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is that discord GPU stock group still going?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is that discord GPU stock group still going?

CtrlAltStock? Aye.

I find telegram lists the notifications faster but you still are unlikely to be faster than the bots. You can get it into your basket if you are really fast but probably won't be able to checkout as the bots get there first.

https://discord.gg/DB2QQfAb
    https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAFciuCcRfvMa_duALg
    https://twitter.com/partalert?lang=en

There's a Zotac 3080 card that sells direct from Amazon for just over €950 and I think it may be above many of the bots price threshold as I can make it to the checkout with that one. It's probably your best chance right now.

harmless wrote: »
    I find telegram lists the notifications faster but you still are unlikely to be faster than the bots. You can get it into your basket if you are really fast but probably won't be able to checkout as the bots get there first.

https://discord.gg/DB2QQfAb
    https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAFciuCcRfvMa_duALg
    https://twitter.com/partalert?lang=en

There's a Zotac 3080 card that sells direct from Amazon for just over €950 and I think it may be above many of the bots price threshold as I can make it to the checkout with that one. It's probably your best chance right now.

I've had a few in the basket from Amazon Spain, constantly miss the Curry's delivery cards - which is a shame as they're getting TUF Gaming 3080s @ £720. FE cards seem to stay in stock for 3 minutes or so but I've not been quick enough to get one in the basket.

I've had a few in the basket from Amazon Spain, constantly miss the Curry's delivery cards - which is a shame as they're getting TUF Gaming 3080s @ £720. FE cards seem to stay in stock for 3 minutes or so but I've not been quick enough to get one in the basket.

I've had a 3080 in my basket with Amazon .co.uk, .de, .es and .it but it disappears from the basket when I go to checkout as others had managed to checkout faster.

The €950+ cards are the only ones I've made it as far as the checkout and I've canceled at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I've had a 3080 in my basket with Amazon .co.uk, .de, .es and .it but it disappears from the basket when I go to checkout as others had managed to checkout faster.

The €950+ cards are the only ones I've made it as far as the checkout and I've canceled at that stage.

What you need is 1-Click, you can make that call with a single curl command.

JoyPad wrote: »
    What you need is 1-Click, you can make that call with a single curl command.

That should help, I'll try that. Although I believe most the time the item is already gone. It does take a few seconds for the order page to update and show out of stock.

I've had a few in the basket from Amazon Spain, constantly miss the Curry's delivery cards

Couple of drops on currys UK tonight. Did you have any luck?
    3080 gigabyte eagle OC at a very good price: £720

I got in there in time twice to select delivery but had no UK address, I didn't even know it was Currys as I click before reading.
    The only option I had with no UK address was collect from the Isle of Man :P

• Advertisement

Couple of drops on currys UK tonight. Did you have any luck?
    3080 gigabyte eagle OC at a very good price: £720

I got in there in time twice to select delivery but had no UK address, I didn't even know it was Currys as I click before reading.
    The only option I had with no UK address was collect from the Isle of Man :P

TBH I've sort of given up. I'm not happy with the VRAM capacity but I know the card would sell on no bother. If I manage to snag a FE card at 649 I'd probably go for it, but then there's the currency conversion and driving up North when I really shouldn't...

Got my eye on a 2080ti on Adverts, silly price but then I figure my 5700XT Red Devil would sell on for silly money so kinda evens out...

Then I realise that with the exception of Cyberpunk the 5700XT does everything I want, including MSFS2020 in VR so what am I at. All started with this high refresh monitor - should have just stuck with the Dell.

That was a very long ramble to say no I wasn't looking :pac:

I'm having awful trouble with cclonline in arranging dpd pick up for an RMA, they are just not responding to emails. Head melted.

All Eyes On Rafah

Probably overwhelmed on the phones - worth calling them?

What make was it again? NM See you tried MSI already.

Probably overwhelmed on the phones - worth calling them?

What make was it again?

MSI Trio Gaming X 3090

Tried phoning, got auto message. Might try again.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I'm having awful trouble with cclonline in arranging dpd pick up for an RMA, they are just not responding to emails. Head melted.

I’m still waiting on my 3060ti from scan, got the emails saying it was picked on the 30th but then got the generic email saying how they have delays with deliveries....
    I’m not holding out much hope now, just waiting to hear back and I’ll probably have to cancel at a guess.

I’m still waiting on my 3060ti from scan, got the emails saying it was picked on the 30th but then got the generic email saying how they have delays with deliveries....
    I’m not holding out much hope now, just waiting to hear back and I’ll probably have to cancel at a guess.

It's not a simple delay, Scan have suspended all deliveries outside the UK just over a week ago with no update on when it will resume.

https://www.scan.co.uk/covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 FEs just dropped on Scan

PartAlert
    BOT
    Today at 2:10 PM
    £369.00 | Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti (UK) | @UK @EU
    Nvidia
    Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti (UK)
    Price
    £369.00 at 14:10:46 GMT
    Link
    https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/founders-3060ti-t6hm9adw
    £469.00 | Nvidia RTX 3070 (UK) | @UK @EU
    Nvidia
    Nvidia RTX 3070 (UK)
    Price
    £469.00 at 14:10:46 GMT
    Link
    https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/founders-3070-k3ul5bnj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Dante7 wrote: »

€1400 after it clears customs here though.

• Advertisement

€1400 after it clears customs here though.

That's shocking

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement