Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So, the 3060 got announced and it does actually have 12GBs VRAM as was rumoured. What are nVidia playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

8gb on the the ti and 12gb on the non ti. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Feels like they are intentionally crippling the faster cards to force people into an upgrade when 8-10gb is not enough in 1-2 years time.

The crypto bubble seems to be bursting at least. I hope the arse falls out of it fast or none of these cards will be anywhere near msrp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So, the 3060 got announced and it does actually have 12GBs VRAM as was rumoured. What are nVidia playing at.

What's nerfed on the card towards the 3060Ti?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

TitianGerm wrote: »
    What's nerfed on the card towards the 3060Ti?

3060 ti is a nerfed 3070 running ga104 die and the same 8gb ram as 3070

the 3060 is the first ga106 die, smaller than the ga104

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BloodBath wrote: »
    8gb on the the ti and 12gb on the non ti. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Feels like they are intentionally crippling the faster cards to force people into an upgrade when 8-10gb is not enough in 1-2 years time.

The crypto bubble seems to be bursting at least. I hope the arse falls out of it fast or none of these cards will be anywhere near msrp.

I get that they might have realised they made a mistake with the amount of VRAM on the 3000 series when compared to what AMD are offering. But if that was the case, why launch the 3060Ti at all. It was announced only a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

The absolute state of Nvidia :pac::pac:
    MtI8Fhcl.jpg
    is this autism caused by covid?

It's beyond stupid. €330 msrp card has more memory than their €800 flagship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Maybe Nvidia didn't expect the memory cache on RDNA 2,they might have thought AMD would have to use the same wide bus and GDDR6X as they did to get bandwidth.

With AMDs solution being cheaper they can give more memory even if its slower,the cache making up for it.

I think they were forced to use that expensive power hungry gddr6x because they were forced to go with Samsungs 8nm process over TSMC's 7nm and needed to make up for it. AMD would have been clear winners if Nvidia had stuck with regular gddr6.

The downside was they were already reaching thermal limits and competitive pricing at 10gb and they couldn't have the 3070 having more memory than the 3080 so everyone got shafted. AIB 3080's using over 350w and 3090's using over 400w. There's no headroom there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We reaching a general GPU limit for gaming or we needing some out of the box thinking?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

It's beyond stupid. €330 msrp card has more memory than their €800 flagship.

Sure the 3090, at a lot higher then 800, is the flagship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Hearing that the RTX3060 gets 12GB vram as an RTX3070 owner.

We reaching a general GPU limit for gaming or we needing some out of the box thinking?

Out of the box thinking will take us a bit further but we are reaching silicon limits.
    mossym wrote: »
    Sure the 3090, at a lot higher then 800, is the flagship?

Sure yeah but at an extreme cost to get more memory than you need rather than just a comfortable 12-16gb.

I think they were forced to use that expensive power hungry gddr6x because they were forced to go with Samsungs 8nm process over TSMC's 7nm and needed to make up for it. AMD would have been clear winners if Nvidia had stuck with regular gddr6.

That would assume that they knew about AMDs bandwidth increasing cache though. Maybe they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

The one good thing was how reliable these leaks were and they even came from AIB's so anyone who bought a card since the start of December could make an informed decision. It's harsh on the people ordered before then but people will continue to just buy whatever is in stock.

Sure yeah but at an extreme cost to get more memory than you need rather than just a comfortable 12-16gb.

you can argue if the price makes sense or not, but even if not, their flagship model does have the most memory

i do agree with you that it's nuts that the 3080 has less.

Its gets messy also when some models are GDDR6X and some are GDDR6....smh Nvidia

I really want to sell my 3080 and get a 6800 XT but I'm not seeing ANY alerts,just alerts for the 6800 and 6900 XT.

I thought January would at least see a trickle of stock

unfortunately i think we are a long way off seeing stock on any of these.i'd be surprised if the new cards weren't just as hard to find on release

I am seeing 30 series alerts and I am seeing 6800 and 6900 XT alerts,just none for the 6800 XT.

So if your willing to pay over msrp you can get a 30 series or 6800 or 6900 XT for that matter,just not a 6800 XT from what I've seen.

I will add im in college so ymmv,I was using the alert app while in lectures so their availability to someone who's at the PC all day and someone who isn't will obviously be different

yeah i should have said see stock at rrp. although, i see stock popping up on the 30xx cards, you also see a lot of disappointed folk who keep missing out on them. not sure is there a single card where you can say i want one right now and go find it in stock somewhere. what a mess

• Advertisement

Ye its disappointing for sure.

I'm glad i snagged a card,the 3080 is a beast right now for sure but things like RT don't really impress me.

The hit is not worth the improvement in my case,I prefer the higher framerate with it off.

Even the list of games that support it,I had one and thought ive no interest in playing most of the others either.

Its such a missed opportunity the 3080. But thats Nvidia segmentation for ye,the 3060 having more VRAM than the TI is also a joke. With Ti,Super Variants etc they just squeeze every penny

EoinHef wrote: »
    Its gets messy also when some models are GDDR6X and some are GDDR6....smh Nvidia

I really want to sell my 3080 and get a 6800 XT but I'm not seeing ANY alerts,just alerts for the 6800 and 6900 XT.

Even as a long time Nvidia user because of driver issues I had with ATI and AMD in the past I agree with you.

Problem is I think many are thinking the exact same thing and I am also seeing far fewer cards drop from AMD AIB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

mossym wrote: »
    unfortunately i think we are a long way off seeing stock on any of these.i'd be surprised if the new cards weren't just as hard to find on release

Unless your mining. They seem to have no trouble

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Watching some analysis of the UE5 PS5 tech demo, I have a slightly sick feeling that storage speed and/or internet bandwidth are going to be next focus, with games are becoming more data centric and cinematic quality assets being reused with minimal compression.

This is what tends to happen when one dimension of improvement stalls, like when single core CPU speeds stopped increasing a few years back and the focus shifted to multi core programming.

It could be that in a few years you will need a minimum of 100Gbit bandwidth or several TB of PCI4 SSD to get ultra quality.

So rather than spending hundreds on a high end GPU we could be spending hundreds on massive ultrafast storage.

This pains me as I have piss poor 25Mbps broadband and it already takes the best part of a day to download a large game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lumen wrote: »

This pains me as I have piss poor 25Mbps broadband and it already takes the best part of a day to download a large game.

You think that's bad I'm on a not even 3Mbps.

Lumen wrote: »

It could be that in a few years you will need a minimum of 100Gbit bandwidth or several TB of PCI4 SSD to get ultra quality.
    Only PCI-E 4.0? Intel claim PCI-E 5.0 will be released with Alder Lake at the end of the year, :pac:

I'm skeptical, people really underestimate the bandwidth of PCI-E. 2.0x16 is enough for an overclocked 3090.
    I know storage is different but people underestimate the speed of 3.0x4 on an NVME drive especially if they can improve compression. Compression technology could be the way to go as you can attract the average gamer which I'm guessing is where most money is to be made.

interesting article
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/12/22227040/nvidia-amd-gpu-shortage-rtx-3080-3070-3060-ti-3090-rx-6800-xt

some key points

nvidia saying shortages until at least april, and no indication nothing will improve then, just that nothing will improve before then
    the 30x0 cards have sold over 2x what the 20x0 cards sold, so they have been producing stock.
    they say if they see evidence of crypto taking off again they can rerelease the crypto focused cards. i read a few things into this. 1)the suspicion that miners are hoovering up the card is either incorrect, or nivida aren't aware that is where they are going, or know that they are and are trying to hide it. 2) if the rerelease the crypto cards, it means even lower stock on the normal cards as the gpus are needed for even more sku's, and the only advantage seems to be for nvidia who save on the port (acording to the article)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Scan refunded me this morning, I only realised once I saw the money back in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Unless your mining. They seem to have no trouble

Who is supplying the miners though?

I haven't seen any evidence of rigs with FE cards, so it's on AIBs or resellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Founders release

PartAlert
    BOT
    Today at 2:10 PM
    €419.00 | Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti (FR) | @FR @EU
    Nvidia
    Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti (FR)
    Price
    €419.00 at 14:10:38 GMT
    Link
    https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00036063.html
    €419.00 | Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti (ES) | @ES @EU
    Nvidia
    Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti (ES)
    Price
    €419.00 at 14:10:48 GMT
    Link
    https://www.ldlc.com/es-es/ficha/PB00036063.html
    €519.00 | Nvidia RTX 3070 (FR) | @FR @EU
    Nvidia
    Nvidia RTX 3070 (FR)
    Price
    €519.00 at 14:10:58 GMT
    Link
    https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00000303.html
    €519.00 | Nvidia RTX 3070 (ES) | @ES @EU
    Nvidia
    Nvidia RTX 3070 (ES)
    Price
    €519.00 at 14:11:08 GMT
    Link
    https://www.ldlc.com/es-es/ficha/PB00000303.html
    recursiveGeckoToday at 2:13 PM
    @FR 3060 Ti https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00000302.html
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - NVIDIA sur LDLC.com
    Achat NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (900-1G142-2520-000) sur LDLC.com, n°1 du high-tech. 8 Go GDDR6 - HDMI/Tri DisplayPort - PCI Express (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti).

recursiveGeckoToday at 2:26 PM
    Scan doesn't ship outside UK
    NBB doesn't ship outside Germany, Austria and maybe Netherlands
    LDLC doesn't ship outside France, Spain, Luxembourg and Belgium

Maybe I missed a country or two, but don't waste time trying to order from Scan, NBB or LDLC to Italy, for example.

FE cards are essentially region-locked.

Advertisement