Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭manutd2007

mindfactory has some 3070s in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

manutd2007 wrote: »
    mindfactory has some 3070s in stock

€800 :D

And they don't even ship to Ireland.

harmless wrote: »
    €800 :D

And they don't even ship to Ireland.

didnt know they stopped, i know but sure if you find one cheaper message me lol

What do people think of this on adverts? Should scalping be permitted?

https://www.adverts.ie/member/2499423/ads/sold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It is permitted,if it wasn't adverts would have banned them by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Well, he's cheaper than the scalpers on Amazon. He seems to be turning over the stock pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Is there a tip-line for the revenue and/or welfare? ;) They might get them for everything from unpaid taxes to scamming the likes of the PUP for working :-o

I know they had at least planned to bring in laws to stop tickets being sold over face value. Be hard to do but a well written law could cover those using bots to swipe up anything for resale (and/or any non-commercial resales for profit though that should only apply to non-antique items) and tbh I wouldn't grumble about it.

Should adverts try and play the hero and ban it on their own? It would be nice but the sales would just move to ebay/gumtree/wherever else allows them.

minitrue wrote: »
    Is there a tip-line for the revenue and/or welfare? ;) They might get them for everything from unpaid taxes to scamming the likes of the PUP for working :-o
    I know people who work in revenue, I could ask them if they wish to assist him register the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    It is permitted,if it wasn't adverts would have banned them by now.

Adverts stopped people scalping PS5s and Series X/S. Not sure why they can't do the same for GPUs?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Adverts stopped people scalping PS5s and Series X/S.

Where did you see that?

• Advertisement

minitrue wrote: »

I know they had at least planned to bring in laws to stop tickets being sold over face value. Be hard to do but a well written law could cover those using bots to swipe up anything for resale (and/or any non-commercial resales for profit though that should only apply to non-antique items) and tbh I wouldn't grumble about it.

Should adverts try and play the hero and ban it on their own? It would be nice but the sales would just move to ebay/gumtree/wherever else allows them.

nobody likes a snitch :pac:

Luck100 wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

There's not one PS5 on Adverts for sale. Set up a new account and try put one up, it'll be gone in a few minutes.

It was well discussed on the PS5 and Xbox threads in November and December.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Adverts stopped people scalping PS5s and Series X/S. Not sure why they can't do the same for GPUs?

No idea,im sure the GPU ads have probably been well reported to them too

EoinHef wrote: »
    No idea,im sure the GPU ads have probably been well reported to them too

I'd say so but not to the same level as the PS5.

I suppose if its over €500 for a console its scalping with the retail prices being set by Sony and MS before the retailer even gets them.

Not so clear for the GPU market with all the different models,brands and pricing variation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

lBQ1g5F.png

Retail availability really taking the p*ss now...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    lBQ1g5F.png

Retail availability really taking the p*ss now...

Got 2 of those today that I cancelled in Oct as the date was feb (xmas present for me and the boy). Ended out panic buying a 3060ti for him just before xmas.

Got them from a supplier in work, they didnt cancel them. :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Got 2 of those today that I cancelled in Oct as the date was feb (xmas present for me and the boy). Ended out panic buying a 3060ti for him just before xmas.

Got them from a supplier in work, they didnt cancel them. :D:cool:

What supplier? Can probably get stuff through work myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If people are dumb enough to pay massively over the odds let them off. Capitalism 101. It's the people who buy them I'd be angry with. They enable the scalpers.

Anyone that pays €800 for a 3070 deserves what they get imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

BloodBath wrote: »
    If people are dumb enough to pay massively over the odds let them off. Capitalism 101. It's the people who buy them I'd be angry with. They enable the scalpers.

Whatever is being sold is worth what people are willing to pay.
    If the market is willing to pay €880, then i'm frankly surprised that the board partners aren't just doing this themselves.
    They're leaving profit on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They essentially are. Some of the "oc" models are obscenely priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

BloodBath wrote: »

Kind of agree with the general concept that "if you're willing to pay a scalper, you deserve it!" - but the big issue is that the situation affects those who want the product but don't wanna pay idiotic extortions for it, as the scalpers are cleaning the market.

Rather than "capitalism 101", this looks to me like the beginning of something really ugly - sooner or later, the practice will move on from the "rather useless" goods realm and start touching on stuff people actually NEED. It'd be a good idea to quash the trend at a legislative or at least technical level NOW, rather than wait until it's actually hurting.
    CruelCoin wrote: »
    Whatever is being sold is worth what people are willing to pay.
    If the market is willing to pay €880, then i'm frankly surprised that the board partners aren't just doing this themselves.
    They're leaving profit on the table.

It's pretty much happening, manufacturers are slapping ugly coolers of dubious efficiency to the boards, swapping out nVidia's (stupid) power connector for standard ones and putting a 200 Euro premium on the cards, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Not just scalping going on there. Most of the cards are from scan who stopped shipping to Ireland since brexit. So they must be going through the north and obviously not paying vat or else there'd be no point in selling them as no profit to be made. Another problem if buyer needs warranty, gpu warranty always dealt with by the retailer, wouldn't be able to return the cards to scan as they're UK only right now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I haven't fully been following the thread, but what exactly is causing the delay? Is it covid? A lack of raw materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

awec wrote: »
    I haven't fully been following the thread, but what exactly is causing the delay? Is it covid? A lack of raw materials?

Huge demand, not just for GPUs, but for chips in general. Nvidia don't make chips, they subcontract TSMC, who have to balance their supply across all the customers.

I don't know why people get angry about "scalping". It's simply the result of Nvidia getting the pricing and/or supply wrong. You buy it, you own it, you're free to sell it. Should we be similarly angry with people selling their RTX 20x0 at raised prices compared to six months ago?

It's a GPU, not food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

It was in the news yesterday that Samsung are moving one of their plants over to making chips used in optical scanners.

Home office needs for printers/scanners and the like is going through the roof.

Not just gamers wanting extra chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sorry - have only been dipping in and out of the thread, so this has probably been answered... Is there no way to buy Founder Editions in Ireland now?

If you're wondering who's paying those prices, there's definitely miners buying up GPUs on adverts. This guy for example.

https://www.adverts.ie/member/comments/1588777/page-1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Because of competition, the new cards had a significant price/perf increase then the last few generations.

Manufacturing shut down in China last year for 3 months more than usual. Thats a 25% drop in parts availability.

Covid has affected the low earners, the middle/high earners have been spending less (nothing to do) and have more discretionary income. See the huge increase in orders the "1200" quid cheques caused in the US as a good example of what people are doing with their money.

Working from home increased demand on laptops/desktops in general.

Covid has meant more free time and boredom, I suspect this has meant a lot of people have got back into gaming.

Crypto has boomed, when it goes up everybody and their mother buys cards to mine with.

The newest fabs are under huge demand from all aspects of chip production, phones and pc's parts.

New consoles released with huge demand for them, adding to the pile.

Some retailers have pointed out they have sold more 3xxx series in 3 months then the entire 2xxx series over a year.

• Advertisement

I do wonder how big the crypto mining factor is. Currently a 3080 = €150 a month in profit even after factoring in Ireland's relatively high electric rates.

Advertisement