Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

harmless wrote: »
    I do wonder how big the crypto mining factor is. Currently a 3080 = €150 a month in profit even after factoring in Ireland's relatively high electric rates.

Just checked this (out of curiosity) so NiceHash predicts my 3070 will get €3.32 per day. What is the electrical cost of running a pc all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

errlloyd wrote: »
    Just checked this (out of curiosity) so NiceHash predicts my 3070 will get €3.32 per day. What is the electrical cost of running a pc all day?

If mining make sure you reduce power limit on card. Otherwise wasting electricity and making card run hotter for no reason. If properly optimized, running 24/7 you'll use around 40c a day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

spix wrote: »
    If mining make sure you reduce power limit on card. Otherwise wasting electricity and making card run hotter for no reason. If properly optimized, running 24/7 you'll use around 40c a day.

Nicehash takes electricity costs into account and assumes you reduce power limit.

I was running 1660ti for a long time and was making about 1.50 a day, close enough to the 1.62 they calculate

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

errlloyd wrote: »

About €0.70 a day total system power usage if you undervolt the GPU core.

If you are with your power company for over 12 months switch to another and you get a 12 month discount rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Crypto mining is antisocial and environmentally damaging.

And more importantly, a waste of fun graphics cards in a period where we need all the fun we can get.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Crypto mining is antisocial and environmentally damaging.

And more importantly, a waste of fun graphics cards in a period where we need all the fun we can get.

I mine while I sleep or playing less demanding games.

I'm using the heat to keep the room warm this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Has anybody scored a 3080 off the telegram part alert lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Luck100 wrote: »
    Has anybody scored a 3080 off the telegram part alert lately?

there has been a good few pop up today with 900+ price tag, I'm not going to pay that but looking at the amazon de /es links they seem to be available to add to basket for a little bit, the scan drop today was instantly gone. not that they will ship to Ireland anyway, i never even saw an add to basket button. the 3090 lasted a little longer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭manutd2007

djivide_ wrote: »
    there has been a good few pop up today with 900+ price tag, I'm not going to pay that but looking at the amazon de /es links they seem to be available to add to basket for a little bit, the scan drop today was instantly gone. not that they will ship to Ireland anyway, i never even saw an add to basket button. the 3090 lasted a little longer :rolleyes:

where can you get a 3080 for 900??

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

telegram 3080 part alert has had them popping up mostly on amazon es / de /fr. most are in the high 900's but some have been lower. they don't last long mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭manutd2007

djivide_ wrote: »
    telegram 3080 part alert has had them popping up mostly on amazon es / de /fr. most are in the high 900's but some have been lower. they don't last long mind you.

how do you setup telegram for this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm not looking any more, but when i was, i found the telegram groups weren't great. the alerts were late compared to some of the discord groups. if you have discord would suggest looking up some of the stock drop groups

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

mossym wrote: »
    i'm not looking any more, but when i was, i found the telegram groups weren't great. the alerts were late compared to some of the discord groups. if you have discord would suggest looking up some of the stock drop groups

Which discord groups do you recommend? I don't know anything about discord.

the ones i mentioned, they are called stock drop. quick google should get you a link. no point posting it as it expires

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

CtrlAltStock is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TBH I still think it's pot luck on getting a card through these channels.

I just wish one manufacturer/site took the hint and let us pre-order cards with a deposit & guaranteed shipping date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The only reason I managed to snag a 3080 FE was because I was on the PC for college all day. Meant I was at the thing for about 9hrs a day with telegram open and tabs open with all the different sites,which I was also logged into.

The high priced AiBs are there though,like others i have had them in my basket the odd time.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I just wish one manufacturer/site took the hint and let us pre-order cards with a deposit & guaranteed shipping date.

not a hope. there isn't a single one of them who hasn't stores all over the world screaming at them for stock. go direct to customers before they fill their orders and they'd be blacklisted for years.

EoinHef wrote: »

The high priced AiBs are there though,like others i have had them in my basket the odd time.

Getting it into the basket is the easy bit if you click all notifications you can manage this once a day or once every second day, try checking out before the bots and others using the notification apps.
    I had got as far as about 20 checkouts before I completed an order. Persistence will eventually pay off if someone has the time to go through this though.

not a hope. there isn't a single one of them who hasn't stores all over the world screaming at them for stock. go direct to customers before they fill their orders and they'd be blacklisted for years.

Agreed and they would actually have to spend time developing a good system or it would be bots that benefit from it.

I don't think EVGA EU have released a single card 3000 series on their own web store.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

Write a bot program that searches all the sites then puts it on your basket

And sell them on adverts.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,198 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Another reason why these cards are so hard to get lol

https://www.pcgamer.com/these-shoes-are-an-rtx-3080-powered-pc/

that's been happening for months, and is why the shortage is the way it is

if folk haven't seen it, what newegg (US based store) is proposing and would allow the scalpers to use their bots just as much:they are proposing a lottery system for cards/cpus, random draw of who gets them, avoid the chaos when they release stock

however, as loads of people are now telling them, it will just result in bots creating thousands of accounts and stacking the draw huegly in their odds. crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

that's been happening for months, and is why the shortage is the way it is

if folk haven't seen it, what newegg (US based store) is proposing and would allow the scalpers to use their bots just as much:they are proposing a lottery system for cards/cpus, random draw of who gets them, avoid the chaos when they release stock

however, as loads of people are now telling them, it will just result in bots creating thousands of accounts and stacking the draw huegly in their odds. crazy
    The websites should be using a captcha to stop bots from buying loads of these cards.

rob808 wrote: »
    The websites should be using a captcha to stop bots from buying loads of these cards.

if only they had thought of that....

all teh sites are running captcha's (or at least are now, launch day may have been different) to the point of pi$$ing real buyers off. yet they are all saying the bots are hoovering everything up. you'd need to discuss with them why it isn't working

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

if only they had thought of that....

all teh sites are running captcha's (or at least are now, launch day may have been different) to the point of pi$$ing real buyers off. yet they are all saying the bots are hoovering everything up. you'd need to discuss with them why it isn't working

You get the bot to forward the images to a person working for a Euro a hour in Asia.

The real answer is that the mainstay companies get first choice(system builders) then the miners because they are purchasing in bulk without hassle or quality concerns, then shops last.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Any proof or even just credible link that miners are getting to buy in bulk and not simply by using bots themselves? Stuff like that has been said a bunch here but I haven't seen anything from anywhere credible.

minitrue wrote: »
    Any proof or even just credible link that miners are getting to buy in bulk and not simply by using bots themselves? Stuff like that has been said a bunch here but I haven't seen anything from anywhere credible.

that's a good question, and i doubt that miners are being allowed to buy in bulk from a single source. it may have happened on launch day when they used mulitple bots to process mutliple orders in parallel, especially from nvidia site itself

and given the lines between system builders/shops is fairly blurred in most cases i don't beleive it's as clear cut as that either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

minitrue wrote: »

We know for a fact the last time crypto went nuts, the same thing happened. Right now, it's just another factor adding to the shortage.

Advertisement