Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone who had redirected downloads, documents, pictures, folders were at risk. It's a fairly standard thing to do when using a small SSD, so that's millions of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tuxy wrote: »
    Anyone who had redirected downloads, documents, pictures, folders were at risk. It's a fairly standard thing to do when using a small SSD, so that's millions of people.

Aye I saw an article on this on the WAN show, it seems if you moved your standard my docs locations from the system defaults it lost your stuff and a restore wouldn't fix it, not good for anyone affected!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye I saw an article on this on the WAN show, it seems if you moved your standard my docs locations from the system defaults it lost your stuff and a restore wouldn't fix it, not good for anyone affected!

That’s absolutely farcical.
    The first thing a lot of people do is move those folders off the default c drive to prevent any loss in case the os crashed etc and you needed to reinstall.
    Microsoft are seriously dropping the ball the last few times after getting back on form for windows 7.
    I’ve even opted out of all preview builds they’re so bad and I’m a complete beta whore altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

2070 reviews are out, 7% on a 1080 and a little cheaper MSRP. What are peoples thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

1070 reviews are out, 7% on a 1080 and a little cheaper MSRP. What are peoples thoughts?
    Presume you mean the 2070?

• Advertisement

2070 reviews are out, 7% on a 1080 and a little cheaper MSRP. What are peoples thoughts?

The MSRP is a lie, no board partner can offer a good quality product while undercutting the founders edition price. So in reality the MSRP is $599.

Until the tensor cores can be properly benchmarked they should be ignored.
    We still don't know if the 2080ti has enough tensor cores to do something genuinely useful in games let alone the 2070.

Right now the cheapest 1080 on amazon.co.uk is €510.97, if someone is looking for 1080 like performance but could get a 2070 for €550 that would be a smart move, however I don't see 2070's being offered at such a competitive price this side of Christmas.
    When pascal supply has depleted there is a good chance there will be a revision on prices and the 2070 will make sense at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1070 ti can be had for €440 new, which is also a good value (better fps/€).

Honestly what AMD need to do right now is release a €270-350 card that blows the GTX 1060 away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1070 ti can be had for €440 new, which is also a good value (better fps/€).

Honestly what AMD need to do right now is release a €270-350 card that blows the GTX 1060 away.

You can also get a 1080 on ebuyer for €455 new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Overclockers UK will be selling the 2070 between £460 - £660

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Complete ripoff and crap performance to boot.
    It will be at least another 2 generations before we see acceptable performance with rtx on.
    Right now...who wants to play BF5 at 60fps....nobody bar those who purchased first day and who desperately need to convince themselves its all good.
    Now I'm one of those myself but I draw the line at Nvidia..been there done that with them before where they price gouge for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

From Scan.co.uk
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 D5X WindForce3 8GB GDDR5X on Scan is 459 gbp today.
    Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 8GB GDDR6 is 459 gbp today in stock.

I dont know where this rip off is coming from TBH, I know its dangerous to say such things such is the ire towards Nvidia but thats the fact. 7% more performance and future proofing with DLSS and ray tracing. Its up to the customer to decide if they want a little more performance, and the ability to use the RTX features for the same price. It would only be stubbornness that would have you spend the same or 10-40 euro less if you got a deal on a last gen card, either way Nvidia would be happy enough.

Also who would be buying this card....not a person with a 1080 already thats for sure, its somebody with a 980ti, or a 1060, or 1070 or god help us a vega. I think its a no brainier of an upgrade for them. Would anyone here buy a 1080 instead of a 2070 if they were in that upgrade situation?

People do be giving out, people do be liking giving out. Nvidia needs to get us some RTX content immediately please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, I'm one of the fools who's strongly considering getting a 2070 or 2080! I'm ready to move on from my RX480 Sapphire Nitro 4gb and feel the 2070 would be a healthy upgrade. If a had 1070 or 1080 already then maybe i'd be a bit more sceptical but with the help of some Amazon vouchers I've stashed away, its' hard to resist...& I'm more than likely going to drop hundreds of hours in BFV so the possibility of using their RTX stuff is tempting even at the cost of perforamnce!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Aye, the 2070 doesn't feel quite worth the upgrade as someone on a 1070, and I'm not sure if it fits the bill for those on 970 either, it's a fair leap in price (launch prices), $329 vs $499, which might make it outside of those people's budgets. Especially when the 970 still performs fine at 1080p, 60fps gaming (with potentially reduced settings in new titles). Only temping factor is the massive (approx 2x) performance lift, which could swing those on 1440p and/or high refresh rate monitors. Shame we still can't talk about RTX performance between the cards... I wonder how the settings will look in games, due to the reduced RT performance in the 2070.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I went from a 970 to 1080ti when configuring my build from scan,should have it this week.
    The 2070 doesnt look a bad option to be totally honest.
    I wonder how the settings will look in games, due to the reduced RT performance in the 2070.

Pretty sure they will look the same just performance wont be as good.

Dcully wrote: »
    I went from a 970 to 1080ti when configuring my build from scan,should have it this week.
    The 2070 doesnt look a bad option to be totally honest.

I see that EVGA overclocked 1080ti and an EVGA overclocked 2080 are within english tenner of eachother now on scan, cheapest to cheapest (in stock) there is a 90 pound difference. I still maintain that the 7-10% performance improvement to the RTX and the RTX features are most likely worth the extra on a high end system like that especially if you want to game at big resolutions where the memory bandwidth can be leveraged. The earlier adopter tax is beginning to fade away

I agree the 2070 is a compelling upgrade for some people who skipped the 10 series or are in the 60 or 50 skew, and doesnt want to enter into the ultra high end.

As for RTX performance on the 2070 etc....who the hell knows, its seems to be a flipping secret with a 50:50 chance its awesome but they want to clear pascal dies, or its awful and not ready and they are trying to put some time distance between bad news cycles.

I think the general feeling that Nvidia are bad value is going to hang around (true of false) like the notion that AMD is hot and loud We all do confirmation bias on our purchasing decisions, but it does add some interest to a area of pc hardware thats been stagnant and boring for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the 2070 is about the most interesting card imo, so long as prices stay around the €500. Pity it doesnt give 1080ti levels like the 1070 did with the 980ti but still its the best from the rtx cards in terms of price/performance. Be much nicer if it was in the 400-500euro range though

the 2070 is about the most interesting card imo.

It's only interesting to people who were considering buying a 1080 the very slight increase in performance and the idea of owning a card from the current generation will be enough for to convince many who had a 1080 in mind to finally make a purchace.

Admittedly prices are lower than I expected.
    It's interesting that Nvidia are insisting that anyone reviewing a high end 2070 must include a budget 2070 in the review. They must have reasonable stock levels and actually want to sell this card. The push for budget card sales could put board partners under pressure and their bottom line will be lower while Nvidia continues to make large profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I think people get overly caught up in the labelling and names. For the manufacturers it's all about price point. Have something available in the range of money people want to spend.

Then there's a known trick that if there's a super-expensive, top of the range model at the top of the list you will get more people to buy the next step down. So by now having the 2080ti price point nVidia are using psychological tricks to try to push more people into the 600-700 sterling tier.

Very rough numbers below. I personally want to see what nVidia's next step in the 250-350 bracket will be. I wonder will there be a 20 series card in that range at all or will they keep making 10 series cards in that range until they get to the 21 series.

Price £|10 Series|20 Series|Vega|Radeon 500
    120|1050|-|-|-
    150|1050 ti|-|-|RX 560
    200|1060 3GB|-|-|RX 570
    250|1060 6GB|-|-|RX 580
    350|1070|-|-|-
    400|1070 ti|-|-|-
    500|1080|2070|Vega 56|-
    650|1080 ti|-|Vega 64|-
    750|-|2080|-|-
    1200|-|2080 ti|-|-

* Price points are in sterling because it was easier to grab them off the net that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

I see that EVGA overclocked 1080ti and an EVGA overclocked 2080 are within english tenner of eachother now on scan, cheapest to cheapest (in stock) there is a 90 pound difference.

To be fair, that same EVGA 1080 ti is about a hundred quid cheaper to buy on the EVGA site than Scan at the moment, and that 2080 is discounted.

Looks like there might even be an RTX 2070 Ti lol

je524bx.jpg

• Advertisement

eh should i be kicking myself for going with a 1080ti in my new build lol?

I would of been interested in that 2070 , then again its a fair bit behind the 1080ti.

If you wanted 1080ti performance what is it about the 2070 that you find interesting?

tuxy wrote: »
    If you wanted 1080ti performance what is it about the 2070 that you find interesting?

DLSS if its what nvidia claim its very interesting.

Dcully wrote: »
    eh should i be kicking myself for going with a 1080ti in my new build lol?

I would of been interested in that 2070 , then again its a fair bit behind the 1080ti.

Honestly I think the 2080 would have been better for you, more future proof, better performance today and only a few sheckles more in the grand scheme. The 1080Ti is a fine fine card....second hand. I would not recommend anyone buy one new. There are dozens on adverts with years of warranty left on them for 500-600 euro that you could have in your hand today.

I wouldn't be kicking yourself, but I think now that all the drama and outrage is dying down, we are getting a better view of where each card is in the stack, and people are developing a more sensible less emotional view on things.

The 1080Ti is a fine fine card....second hand. I would not recommend anyone buy one new

Think it was about €160 less than what they are selling seperately on scan, prices with prebuilds seem to have been great all through the mining craze and likewise with the current intel cpu price hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think the general feeling that Nvidia are bad value is going to hang around (true of false) like the notion that AMD is hot and loud We all do confirmation bias on our purchasing decisions, but it does add some interest to a area of pc hardware thats been stagnant and boring for so long.

Because in other regions, the new cards are bad value?

Its interesting that OCuk has 2070's at 500 though, it would be interesting to see if they stay around MSRP.

I don't rate any raytracing features until I see decent reviews of said features.

Scan have 2070s at £460

Good video on Hardware Unboxed about DLSS. They can't see it being up to much.

• Advertisement

Good video on Hardware Unboxed about DLSS. They can't see it being up to much.

Nobody knows especially Paul on hardware unboxed, and basically he is creating content out of nothing. The entire idea of DLSS is to upscale 1080p raytraced content, they are complementary technologies. Seems ray tracing takes up about 9.2ms of the cycle, "As reported by Golem.de, the raytraced scene delivered clearly higher quality graphics but the expense was rather significant. Between contact shadows (2.3 ms), reflections (4.4 ms) and denoising (2.5 ms), all of the NVIDIA RTX effects cost 9.2 ms in render time.", leaving only 7ms for the rasterisation if you want 60fps at 1080p. By offloading up-scaling and AA to the Turing cores you free the cuda cores to do the work in the short 7ms .

If your not ray tracing you basically have a AA co processor...so whether you are a FPS whore, or a graphical fidelity chap its a win win situation. I cant see any downside to this. But no doubt one will be found and many many youtube videos will be produced.

Advertisement