Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

This kind of stuff annoys me. Bet ya he's not even a gamer.

Hehe, remember that 3090 is not for gamers!

That's a scam, not a ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

JoyPad wrote: »

3090 is not for gamers..... Unless the 3080 is like finding a unicorn.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This kind of stuff annoys me. Bet ya he's not even a gamer.
    JoyPad wrote: »
    That's a scam, not a ripoff.

The GALAX HOF is for overclockers & rich kids.

GALAX RTX 3090 HOF breaks 16 world records

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The kid got a new case as his old wouldnt house the 3080, the new one has a screw in the backplate that stops the 3080 suport bracket going.

Screw cant come out its moulded to the case.

So need to make an incision into the bracket :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The kid got a new case as his old wouldnt house the 3080, the new one has a screw in the backplate that stops the 3080 suport bracket going.

Screw cant come out its moulded to the case.

So need to make an incision into the bracket :D:pac:

Sounds like too much trouble , I'll swap you for my 1080 that should fit his case no bother, no need to thank me . On my way up the motorway now .

jonski wrote: »
    Sounds like too much trouble , I'll swap you for my 1080 that should fit his case no bother, no need to thank me . On my way up the motorway now .

Gets worse :D His arctic AIO doesnt fit in the Fractal case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ConorSammon

So there is no option in Ireland of getting a 30 series card at near MSRP?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Not right now no I don't think. Unless you can get founders edition shipped onto Ireland from EU using some sort of thing like mailbox.de but then you've to pay insurance for it etc etc. So in a short answer, I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ended up ordering an Alienware instead of doing my own build because of the graphics card issues. Probably paid over the odds but I should have it this month. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Gets worse :D His arctic AIO doesnt fit in the Fractal case.

Which Arctic cooler and which fractal case? :|

I have a Arctic II 420 to fit in a Define 7... It supports 420 top mounted but I haven't found anyone that has actually fit one!

Squall wrote: »
    Which Arctic cooler and which fractal case? :|

I have a Arctic II 420 to fit in a Define 7... It supports 420 top mounted but I haven't found anyone that has actually fit one!

It got worse, he had a mare is the only way to explain it.

not sure of the model but so proud of him for sticking at it for 5 hours getting it to POST then when he brought it back to his room his windows drive wasnt connected.

Honestly so proud of his failures because I have been there so many times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I have a Thermaltake View 51, pretty big case by any standard and has multiple zones for a 420. The Arctic II 420 wouldn't fit in the roof slot, the front fan tray edged it by a few milimeters, I was able to mount it on the inside vertical/side slot but then the GPU overlapped again by a few milimeters even with the recessed fan area, eventually I barely got it firmly into place. The main takeaway being that while it's a fantastic CPU cooler the Arctic II 420 is insanely big and deep, make sure you have some spare room beyond the standard 420 size.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Rumours growing of a 3080 Ti with 12Gb VRAM/384-bit bus & 10240 FP32 cores for April "release".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Rumours growing of a 3080 Ti with 12Gb VRAM/384-bit bus & 10240 FP32 cores for April "release".

April 1st?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

Leaked NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti benchmarks show the GA102 card on par with the GeForce RTX 3090the card contains a GA102 GPU and shares almost all its specifications with the RTX 3090. However, its 320-bit interface lowers restricts its memory bandwidth to 760.3 GB/s, 175.9 GB/s lower than the bandwidth of the RTX 3090. The RTX 3080 Ti also has 20 GB of VRAM, rather than the 24 GB and 10 GB that the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 have,the RTX 3080 Ti has a 31 MHz lower base clock speed than the RTX 3090.the RTX 3080 Ti appears to perform slightly worse than the RTX 3090 in most cases, probably because of its inferior memory bandwidth and VRAM capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I find it hard to believe that there will be a 20GB 3080ti. Just such a massive jump from 10GB. 12GB is much more believable unless they start pulling out super and ti ****e and have a super with 12 and ti with 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Davauer wrote: »
    Leaked NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti benchmarks show the GA102 card on par with the GeForce RTX 3090the card contains a GA102 GPU and shares almost all its specifications with the RTX 3090. However, its 320-bit interface lowers restricts its memory bandwidth to 760.3 GB/s, 175.9 GB/s lower than the bandwidth of the RTX 3090. The RTX 3080 Ti also has 20 GB of VRAM, rather than the 24 GB and 10 GB that the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 have,the RTX 3080 Ti has a 31 MHz lower base clock speed than the RTX 3090.the RTX 3080 Ti appears to perform slightly worse than the RTX 3090 in most cases, probably because of its inferior memory bandwidth and VRAM capacity.

But for gaming purposes it really should not matter unless I'm reading that wrong.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But for gaming purposes it really should not matter unless I'm reading that wrong.

That was just bobbyy's latest alt-account copypasting semi-random stuff from a random tech website before getting banned yet again. Its like a form of weather in here, don't think about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

the 30 Series cards are going to be in short supply for a long time there's manufacturing shortages along with a constrained supply chain due to ongoing covid restrictions. It could be next year before they're able to buy relatively easy. Everyone is trying to get their hands on them and those that are up for sale are like PS5's and Xbox X's being price gouged by at least 20% more than its retail price. On top of this reports are coming out of Bitcoin Miners taking off again which could drive up supply shortages AGAIN.

It's not impossible to get a card I got lucky and managed to snipe a 3090 the other week. Got it yesterday and loving it. That being said it was €2000 to get it which is honestly what I was willing to pay because it's an OC Asus and a high quality card. Also direct from amazon so said feck it and pulled the trigger because it's the best chance I had of getting it for the near future.

That being said it would be quite possible to just aim for 2nd hand market cards this time around if your not needing bleeding edge or are not using a 4k display. I'm planning on putting up my pair of 2080 Ti's up for sale in the next few days and both cards are in excellent condition. The cards are arguably better compared to it's 3070 "successor" both because of extra Vram and they're binned cards along with not being as reliant on Raytracing. If your needing something for (W)QHD or high FPS FHD it would probably be easier to just grab a 2nd hand 2080 TI to do the job for the next year or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

It got worse, he had a mare is the only way to explain it.

not sure of the model but so proud of him for sticking at it for 5 hours getting it to POST then when he brought it back to his room his windows drive wasnt connected.

Honestly so proud of his failures because I have been there so many times :D

So started my build last night. Had a bit of a mare with the arctic freezer II 420 as well. The radiator is huge and the fans are really bulky. Had to remove a front panel case fan and a bracket for a 5.25" drive (no real loss) to get the radiator to fit. Even then it was a tight fit.

Second problem was the thickness. The middle fan was hitting my RAM. Was contemplating just leaving it off then realised the 140mm case fan I removed was slightly thinner than the arctic fans. Just managed to get it installed on the rad. There is about 1mm space between it and the RAM! Not ideal but its working away. hopefully wont impact cooling performance too much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that there will be a 20GB 3080ti. Just such a massive jump from 10GB. 12GB is much more believable unless they start pulling out super and ti ****e and have a super with 12 and ti with 20.

I find it hard to believe they will release a TI because in order for the 3090 to be 10-15% faster then a 3080, it has roughly 15% more cuda cores and pulls 400 watts easy. Not sure where the TI would pull ahead without making the same sacrifces.

Thats ignore the simple market fact that the GA102 chip, even in the 1500+ range is selling out. Why would you ever eat into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Infini wrote: »
    the 30 Series cards are going to be in short supply for a long time there's manufacturing shortages along with a constrained supply chain due to ongoing covid restrictions. It could be next year before they're able to buy relatively easy. Everyone is trying to get their hands on them and those that are up for sale are like PS5's and Xbox X's being price gouged by at least 20% more than its retail price. On top of this reports are coming out of Bitcoin Miners taking off again which could drive up supply shortages AGAIN.

It's not impossible to get a card I got lucky and managed to snipe a 3090 the other week. Got it yesterday and loving it. That being said it was €2000 to get it which is honestly what I was willing to pay because it's an OC Asus and a high quality card. Also direct from amazon so said feck it and pulled the trigger because it's the best chance I had of getting it for the near future.

That being said it would be quite possible to just aim for 2nd hand market cards this time around if your not needing bleeding edge or are not using a 4k display. I'm planning on putting up my pair of 2080 Ti's up for sale in the next few days and both cards are in excellent condition. The cards are arguably better compared to it's 3070 "successor" both because of extra Vram and they're binned cards along with not being as reliant on Raytracing. If your needing something for (W)QHD or high FPS FHD it would probably be easier to just grab a 2nd hand 2080 TI to do the job for the next year or 2.

Not to be party pooper, but I don't think there will be any good news and "back to normal" in gpu world for us, gamers this year. Oh yeah, brexit. Who knew, it was bad idea to shovel Ireland with UK market and have all warehouses/businesses be based in UK...

Scalpers and crypto currency going very popular again. Apparently 30series are very good for mining too. It is getting so bad, those miner feckers are buying out laptops now too.

At this point I am looking at option of just going something like Allienware. I never though I will say this: it's decent value lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Not to be party pooper, but I don't think there will be any good news and "back to normal" in gpu world for us, gamers this year. Oh yeah, brexit. Who knew, it was bad idea to shovel Ireland with UK market and have all warehouses/businesses be based in UK...

Scalpers and crypto currency going very popular again. Apparently 30series are very good for mining too. It is getting so bad, those miner feckers are buying out laptops now too.

At this point I am looking at option of just going something like Allienware. I never though I will say this: it's decent value lol.

Also looking at Alienware!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Also looking at Alienware!

Only took a global parts shortage and massive price inflation to make them competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

I was pessimistic about getting a card for RRP but luckily a poster on here (EoinHef) reminded me the situation is only temporary and getting a 3080 AIB for RRP(€700) would not be an issue long term. I bought a 3080 from Amazon about 2 weeks after that.
    I got it in January, I've already mined back €300 worth of the value in Ethereum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Turned off all my stock notification yesterday. I'm giving up looking for a RTX card. Have a brand new high spec build with everything to go but looks like I'll have to stick with the 1070 for a while. Just so much anxiety looking for one but it's totally hopeless. There's no where in Ireland you can queue up to get one which seems to be the only way to get one now and One everything gets botted before the page has loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

harmless wrote: »
    I was pessimistic about getting a card for RRP but luckily a poster on here (EoinHef) reminded me the situation is only temporary and getting a 3080 AIB for RRP(€700) would not be an issue long term. I bought a 3080 from Amazon about 2 weeks after that.
    I got it in January, I've already mined back €300 worth of the value in Ethereum.

with just the one 3080?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

With my 3070 FE I could be getting around $7.50/day of ethereum at the current price (gpu capped to 120W seemed to be my sweet spot) if I let it run 24/7 and it seems a 3080 would be more like $12 (seemingly at around 230W). So €300 is a month of a 3080 running 24/7 give or take (less at least about 180 units of electricity for starters).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

minitrue wrote: »
    With my 3070 FE I could be getting around $7.50/day of ethereum at the current price (gpu capped to 120W seemed to be my sweet spot) if I let it run 24/7 and it seems a 3080 would be more like $12 (seemingly at around 230W). So €300 is a month of a 3080 running 24/7 give or take (less at least about 180 units of electricity for starters).

I don't just lower the power cap in afterburner like most, I set the exact voltage I want it to run at.
    3080 = 92 MH/S at 195 watts
    I have my 1070 in the case too 26 MH/S at 100 watts
    60 watts for system power on top of the power used by the cards.

I could get a slightly higer hash rate on the 3080 but I didn't like the memory temps that were reports so I dialed it back a bit.

b48ba423a4846838cc4b44e53257947e.png

All in USD and takes the price I pay for electricity into consideration, I pay €0.15($0.18) per KW/H

When I game in the evening it eats in to that profit a bit but I'm mining at full speed all night and morning.
    The price of Eth has shot up and it is unsustainable but this is were we are at right now and I'll keep cashing in while I can.

a2026fca834051baef383a7d88899578.png

Advertisement