Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

harmless wrote: »
    I don't just lower the power cap in afterburner like most, I set the exact voltage I want it to run at.
    3080 = 92 MH/S at 195 watts
    I have my 1070 in the case too 26 MH/S at 100 watts
    60 watts for system power on top of the power used by the cards.
    92 @ 195 is much better power-wise then where I got my 3080 guess from and tbh I suspected the figure I saw could be beaten a bit. I'm on Linux so no afterburner and my messing was just some fun as much about working out how to do any tweaking on power/clocks as seeing what I could get out of it ;) I've yet to throw a second card (1660 or 1660 super, I have a card to spare) to see if I can work out the shenanigans for multi-card on a machine not dedicated to mining ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

minitrue wrote: »
    92 @ 195 is much better power-wise then where I got my 3080 guess from and tbh I suspected the figure I saw could be beaten a bit. I'm on Linux so no afterburner and my messing was just some fun as much about working out how to do any tweaking on power/clocks as seeing what I could get out of it ;) I've yet to throw a second card (1660 or 1660 super, I have a card to spare) to see if I can work out the shenanigans for multi-card on a machine not dedicated to mining ;)

Most seem to set a 60 - 70% power limit which is fine for a quick set up but can go lover if you tweak voltage(using voltage curve in afterburner) rather than a power target.
    I'm at 0.75V 1350 Mhz core speed. +500 to memory to bring that to 9750 Mhz, it can do +1100 with no errors but I want to keep memory temp to 90c and it goes over 100c at max overclock. The GGDR6x starts to throttle at 105c. AFAIK GDDR6(non X) does not have this issue, I don't think it even monitors memory temps as it does not need to.
    Core temp is at 50c(70c gaming) while mining, mining is about memory speed for the most part.

Linux works very well from what I've heard, once you figure out how to control all setting.

I'd make the switch to Linux, I use it on one of my other PCs but windows is convenient for gaming.

The same card uses 370 watts in games(430 if I was to max it to it +19% power limit) which is bonkers. Nvidia just pumped as much power into this gen to get competitive speeds.
    It's a brute force method, not very elegant. Very few reviews address this.
    Ampere is not a good gaming architecture IMO but it gets me good mining speeds and good frame rates for now. I'll be switching to a more power efficent setup when I can but that's still a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Nvidia are re releasing the 1050ti and the 2060 to board partners so they have some stuff to sell. How did we get here!

.G. wrote: »
    Nvidia are re releasing the 1050ti and the 2060 to board partners so they have some stuff to sell. How did we get here!

Good cards at RRP it will stop people scalping 1060's for €250+

Nvidia have done some really scummy things not just in the past but more recently, however if they could fill the shelves with 3000 series they would.
    Clearly it's out of their hands and the situation is even worse for AMD when it comes to GPU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I think the acuteness of the stock problem is caused by four things,the limited amount of fabs that can produce these products,covid,people sitting at home with spare cash,and more recently brexit.

Supply was always going to be tight because there's only so many fabs that can make these products but covid and brexit on top of that are creating a perfect storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Scarcity of new Nivida gpus for months is not a new things going on generations now. Agreed the current situation is making it much worse.

AMD have their hands full with new CPUs, GPUs and both new consoles. No surprise they can't get anything out in decent numbers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

EoinHef wrote: »
    I think the acuteness of the stock problem is caused by four things,the limited amount of fabs that can produce these products,covid,people sitting at home with spare cash,and more recently brexit.

Supply was always going to be tight because there's only so many fabs that can make these products but covid and brexit on top of that are creating a perfect storm.

The biggest problem by far is the crypto bubble. 90% of this problem is from that.

BloodBath wrote: »
    The biggest problem by far is the crypto bubble. 90% of this problem is from that.

Just remembered scalpers aswell,the list is growing....

I'm glad I managed to snag a 3080 just before Christmas even though its not the card I want in the long run,ots keeping me entertained in lockdown

Lucky you, I had planned on getting something this month but I will probably have to skip a gen at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah, I wanted a 3080ti would have taken a 6800XT at the time I begrudgingly bought a 3090 but my god Im delighted I got it. But have to say its weird playing VALHEIM on it LMAO!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, I wanted a 3080ti would have taken a 6800XT at the time I begrudgingly bought a 3090 but my god Im delighted I got it. But have to say its weird playing VALHEIM on it LMAO!

I'm playing that atm too,the graphics are weird lookin alright,almost look like PS1 at some points!

Its a good game though,enjoying it quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Just remembered scalpers aswell,the list is growing....

I'm glad I managed to snag a 3080 just before Christmas even though its not the card I want in the long run,ots keeping me entertained in lockdown

Honestly, getting a 3080FE early days was one of the best decisions I made, and I'm so glad I didn't doubt myself enough to try wait for a 3070.

Still, only a matter of time before we see 3080 AIB cards at €700 or even less. this bubble it's only temporary.

Shame that FE cards are no longer an option in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Macker1

Still, only a matter of time before we see 3080 AIB cards at €700 or even less. this bubble it's only temporary.

Shame that FE cards are no longer an option in Ireland.

I hope that's the case as I have a new PC built since last July waiting for a 3080 to finish it off.

No feckin way am I paying over the odds

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/nvidia-dlss

DLSS being added to Unreal Engine as a plugin. Pretty massive news for the longevity of RTX cards.

Yep. Unreal engine is the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

See with the release of the HWinfo, the temps of the vram is absolutely mental. (memory Junction temperature) in the 3080/90

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I was pessimistic about getting a card for RRP but luckily a poster on here (EoinHef) reminded me the situation is only temporary and getting a 3080 AIB for RRP(€700) would not be an issue long term. I bought a 3080 from Amazon about 2 weeks after that.
    I got it in January, I've already mined back €300 worth of the value in Ethereum.

Running into any issues with Vram. The HWinfo released few days ago are really raised alarms bells for some.

All Eyes On Rafah

See with the release of the HWinfo, the temps of the vram is absolutely mental. (memory Junction temperature) in the 3080/90

I have indeed it was showing on the beta version of HWinfo released 2 weeks ago and adjusted my memory overclock while mining accordingly.
    I don't think stock memory speeds will be holding the cards back for gaming.

Some AIB's did use either no thermal pads or only very low quality ones on the memory so it might be worth taking the time to install some.
    I know the Gigabyte cards were very bad and there are probably some other brands that also cut corners in that area.

GDDR6X will run hot and it is within spec up to a point, it throttles hard at 105c.
    For gaming I'd aim for 80c max as that is reasonably easy to achieve.
    For mining I have it down to 90c now(+600), it was at 102c with +1100 to memory overclock.

I think it's a bigger issue for the 3090 with memory modules on the far side of the card too. Good thermal pads and a good metal backplate is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They need to bring back back side panel case fans.

• Advertisement

I started mining Ethereum yesterday because of the posts here. 3060 Ti. After electricity costs and based on the current price, it's a $148 profit each month. I pay 14.5c per kWh where I live.

I started mining Ethereum yesterday because of the posts here. 3060 Ti. After electricity costs and based on the current price, it's a $148 profit each month. I pay 14.5c per kWh where I live.

I don't want this mining craze to go on too long but if it just goes for a few more months and if we sell the Ethereum at the correct time it will pay for the cost of the card :)

I don't want this mining craze to go on too long but if it just goes for a few more months and if we sell the Ethereum at the correct time it will pay for the cost of the card :)

I just read a tomshardware guide that talked about adjusting graphics cards for mining. I set my memory clock to 1200+ and my core clock to -200. My hashrate jumped from around 51 to 60. But the temp stayed the same. Safe?

Probably the wrong thread, but free money is free money.

I just read a tomshardware guide that talked about adjusting graphics cards for mining. I set my memory clock to 1200+ and my core clock to -200. My hashrate jumped from around 51 to 60. But the temp stayed the same. Safe?
    Probably the wrong thread, but free money is free money.

Look into using voltage curves in afterburner if you really want to minimise power usage while keeping hashrate high.
    GPU temp is never an issue while mining, memory temp can be. Unlike GDDR6X, GDDD6 has no memory temperature sensors but unlike the X version it doesn't get insanely hot either.
    Afterburner and app like it will only let you change things within the parameters that the bios for the card allows so in theory it should be perfectly safe.

If your case has good airflow everything will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Reading other users electricity rate made me realise I got a good deal. 12.74c with SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

I've given up any hope of getting a hold of the 3070 or 3060 TI at anything even remotely close to retail. Are there any decent EU sites which I should target for the 3060 launch on the 25th I wonder

Consonata wrote: »
    I've given up any hope of getting a hold of the 3070 or 3060 TI at anything even remotely close to retail. Are there any decent EU sites which I should target for the 3060 launch on the 25th I wonder

This site might be your best bet.

https://www.gputracker.eu/en

Don't waste your time looking for cards right now. Wait until Chinese New Year holidays are over and everything is back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

This site might be your best bet.

https://www.gputracker.eu/en

Alot of people use this site... problem is updating stock is slow.
    I've seen stock in a store 1 hour before it shows up here, then when finally shows up on the tracker it gets sold out instantly. Manual searching stores is best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

Don't waste your time looking for cards right now. Wait until Chinese New Year holidays are over and everything is back up and running.

Yeah, because there was plenty of stock before the Chinese New year :)

Advertisement