Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Keyzer wrote: »
    Ridiculous state of affairs isn't it...

Long gone are the days where you'd pay 3-400 for a top of the range card and people would think you were insane.

Haterz gonna hate.

Get yourself a 4k OLED and 2k graphics card and immerse yourself in the gloomy, shiny glory of next gen ray-traced gaming from across the room with the curtains closed until all you can see is OLED burn-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

harmless wrote: »
    Unless you're mining do you even need more than a 1080ti?
    Even on a 3080 I turn ray tracing off, it's still a complete waste of resources that adds very little to the visuals.
    Not many have made the jump to 4k monitor yet.

I absolutely need 900+ fps in CSGO.

Do not question my methods.

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I absolutely need 900+ fps in CSGO.

Do not question my methods.

:pac:

But if you hit those framerates what have you got left to blame on a bad round?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Unless you're mining do you even need more than a 1080ti?
    Even on a 3080 I turn ray tracing off, it's still a complete waste of resources that adds very little to the visuals.
    Not many have made the jump to 4k monitor yet.

I have 3440x1440 monitor and I don't need more then 60fps. Pretty sure something like 3060ti or 3070 would be a good choice with a bit room left for the future. Even 2060 super or 3060 would do me nicely as I don't really play very demanding games anyway.

Thing is, I refuse to pay that much for 2060S or 3060 out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I think people running out of crap to be Outraged about.

I don't see anyone outraged tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Me and you both :D

Im keeping mine, theres not a game out there i cant run at 100+ fps 1440P [well i lie i cant on MSFS 2020 in huge cities :P then again no PC can] but everything else including resource hogs like full field of 50+ ai in demanding racing simulators @ ultra settings.
    Ive no interest in raytracing or 4K so for me its a no brainer to keep my 1080TI.

So Nvidia are launching dedicated mining cards and nerfing the hash rate on the upcoming 3060 (AnandTech).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't see it making a different when 3080's are still the most efficient way to mine. there's still a silicon wafer shortage as well. And the 3060 isn't much use if you moved past 1080p, like I did 7 years ago.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    So Nvidia are launching dedicated mining cards and nerfing the hash rate on the upcoming 3060 (AnandTech).

It's only software solution with drivers to 3060, so basically... No solution. Those who do mining already know what they are doing and it won't take long to "fix it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

It's only software solution with drivers to 3060, so basically... No solution. Those who do mining already know what they are doing and it won't take long to "fix it".

Its somewhat bad as well in that if you bought the card to game and wanted to mine on your not gaming hours then it wont do it efficiently. Your paying for the card so you should expect it to do all its roles or potential roles and not be hobbled by its own software which as ShadowHearth pointed out will be bypassed by miners but maybe not so easily for the casual miner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But if you hit those framerates what have you got left to blame on a bad round?

Server lag obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Very true, probably as easy as flashing the bios on the card.

Ethereum is moving from POW to POS, that's the real solution but it will be a slow transition over a number years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think nvidia would be better off auctioning cards on their website. At least if people are going to pay over the odds the money is not lost through scalpers

I think nvidia would be better off auctioning cards on their website. At least if people are going to pay over the odds the money is not lost through scalpers

If they did that no one would get a 3080 card for under €1400.
    At least the way it is now a small number of genuine gamers are getting them at the inflated RRP which is still sub €1000

You also have to remember that Nvidia's RRP was never realistic outside of the FE cards.3000 seires FE card's will probably not be available in Ireland ever again.

Or do Japan style when it comes to new consoles and items hard to get: raffle/lottery style every few days they get stock. If you win, you can buy it. One ticket per CC and person. At least this way you would have a chance to get one and not beaten to the curb by scalper and miner bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

I hate the miners for the GPU shortage as much as anyone else and I wish the worst upon them :) but it's not acceptable to have Nvidia deicide what you can and cannot do with your GPU.

Cordell wrote: »
    I hate the miners for the GPU shortage as much as anyone else and I wish the worst upon them :) but it's not acceptable to have Nvidia deicide what you can and cannot do with your GPU.

I dislike mining too but it's free money, I can't help myself.....

The more people mining the faster the dificulty goes up so it has to come to a head at some stage so I guess I'm just doing my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You also have to remember that Nvidia's RRP was never realistic outside of the FE cards.3000 seires FE card's will probably not be available in Ireland ever again.

So on this seen as I've seen you mention me by name in the thread.

What I said was the cards could be made and sold close msrp for a profit,as launch prices showed. So if your gonna mention me by name please get it right.

EoinHef wrote: »
    So on this seen as I've seen you mention me by name in the thread.

What I said was the cards could be made and sold close msrp for a profit,as launch prices showed. So if your gonna mention me by name please get it right.

Correct but not at the margins that Nvidia have sold to AIB's for the 3000 series, hence the FE card prices.
    It was thanks to you that I actually stuck with it and got a 3080 for RRP so I genuinely do appreciate that.
    Not the Nvidia RRP but the AIB RRP which is still a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Sure, Nvidia.

There are a few thousand folks reading that announcment saying "Challenge accepted"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

I dislike mining too but it's free money, I can't help myself.....
    I assume you got the GPU for gaming, so you're ok :)
    The more people mining the faster the dificulty goes up so it has to come to a head at some stage so I guess I'm just doing my part.

Riiiiight :)

At least they're trying something I guess. They're not under any obligation to try limit their GPUs.

More on this supposed hash rate limiter (Del Rizzo is the head of GeForce's global PR;

https://twitter.com/bdelrizzo/status/1362619264423747590?s=20

And now there's now talk that the entire Ampere line-up will be re-launched with new Device IDs. Grain of salt and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can see why Nvidia want to fix this. They're not profiting from the redirection of cards to the miners, it's a PR disaster, and it's bad for the PC gaming market which they dominate. Mining demand comes and goes, but once gamers switch to consoles they're a lost market.

Ampere isn't much (any?) more efficient in terms of performance per watt than previous generation, they've basically thrown a load of silicon at the problem, offered cards at very reasonable RRPs (for the performance) in order to keep Nvidia-powered PC gaming popular in the face of new, heavily discounted AMD-powered console hardware, and their efforts are largely for nought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lumen wrote: »
    , but once gamers switch to consoles they're a lost market.

For Nvidia it's worse than that. The current AMD cards are not great for mining in comparison to the Nvidia cards. As more stock comes in for AMD, more people will be tempted to switch due to availability. A switch in general means that person is more likely to pick up a AMD card next time as well. It's not a lost customer, it's possibly a lost customer for life. Mindshare is a important part of Nvidias market control.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Also, it means they can make dedicated mining cards and charge more for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is it not only the 3060 getting this mining nerf though?

Seems to me that there saying if you pay us enough money we won't nerf your mining ie buy a 3070/3080. That still doesn't help a bunch of people who want a GPU above the 3060.

Good PR but not really that effective if the aim is to get GPUs into the hands of gamers. Maybe that one GPU but the rest of your line no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Cordell wrote: »

Of course it is. Dedicated workstation cards exist that aren't that different hardware wise, most of the difference is in the drivers and you pay a premium for them.

If you're buying a gpu to make a profit off of it either through professional work or lazy ass mining they can and will segment it to make more profit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is it not only the 3060 getting this mining nerf though?

Seems to me that there saying if you pay us enough money we won't nerf your mining ie buy a 3070/3080. That still doesn't help a bunch of people who want a GPU above the 3060.

Good PR but not really that effective if the aim is to get GPUs into the hands of gamers. Maybe that one GPU but the rest of your line no.

Even with the 3060 it might help availability but not pricing. The higher end cards will still be over priced due to mining so the 3060 price will increase as a result.

Advertisement