Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

BloodBath wrote: »
    Of course it is. Dedicated workstation cards exist that aren't that different hardware wise, most of the difference is in the drivers and you pay a premium for them.

If you're buying a gpu to make a profit off of it either through professional work or lazy ass mining they can and will segment it to make more profit.

True you pay a massive premium for the validated drivers and bios on those workstation cards. And for the people that need these it's worth the price.
    It's essential that workstation cards have plenty of error checking, incorrect calculations are very costly.

Mining is different though it's not essential that the rig is 100% stable and if a few shares are corrupt, no big deal. If these 3060 cards can be hacked they will be and they will mine just as well as the so called dedicated mining cards Nvidia have announced.

Can they really segment this market? If they can then it will increase profits for them.
    However to me it just looks like another marking move from Nvidia to make it seem like they care about gaming.
    They have already made it clear with their last major PR blunder that if you are a gamer Bryan Del Rizzo and his team are not on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is it not only the 3060 getting this mining nerf though?

Seems to me that there saying if you pay us enough money we won't nerf your mining ie buy a 3070/3080. That still doesn't help a bunch of people who want a GPU above the 3060.

Good PR but not really that effective if the aim is to get GPUs into the hands of gamers. Maybe that one GPU but the rest of your line no.

The rumour is that there will be a refresh of the existing cards with the new nerfed hash rate feature. There's no point in updating cards already sold/in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Dcully wrote: »
    Im keeping mine, theres not a game out there i cant run at 100+ fps 1440P [well i lie i cant on MSFS 2020 in huge cities :P then again no PC can] but everything else including resource hogs like full field of 50+ ai in demanding racing simulators @ ultra settings.
    Ive no interest in raytracing or 4K so for me its a no brainer to keep my 1080TI.

i have a 4k monitor, but im going to jump to 1440p ultrawide which hopefully wont be as demanding.

i have a 4k monitor, but im going to jump to 1440p ultrawide which hopefully wont be as demanding.

About 67% fewer pixels but be sure that the aspect ratio is optimal for you main use case.
    I mostly play FPS online so 2 1440p monitors works best for me. (one high refresh and one 60hz)

If I played more story driven games I'd go for the single ultra wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

harmless wrote: »
    True you pay a massive premium for the validated drivers and bios on those workstation cards. And for the people that need these it's worth the price.
    It's essential that workstation cards have plenty of error checking, incorrect calculations are very costly.

Mining is different though it's not essential that the rig is 100% stable and if a few shares are corrupt, no big deal. If these 3060 cards can be hacked they will be and they will mine just as well as the so called dedicated mining cards Nvidia have announced.

Can they really segment this market? If they can then it will increase profits for them.
    However to me it just looks like another marking move from Nvidia to make it seem like they care about gaming.
    They have already made it clear with their last major PR blunder that if you are a gamer Bryan Del Rizzo and his team are not on your side.

They will just follow the money without cutting their nose off and burning bridges with their old customers. The gaming market is always there. This crypto mining is not going to go away but hopefully it get's more specialized hardware and some of the other fabs start competing with TSMC again.

Hopefully asics replace gpu's for mining Etherium and things might go back to normal. It's terribly energy wasteful using millions of gpu's for that but some would say the same about gaming I guess.

• Advertisement

They will just follow the money without cutting their nose off and burning bridges with their old customers. The gaming market is always there.
    That's exactly how i see it too.

Hopefully asics replace gpu's for mining Etherium and things might go back to normal. It's terribly energy wasteful using millions of gpu's for that but some would say the same about gaming I guess.

Not going to happen like that, the asic mining resistance is what allows the little guy to get involved. If someone beats the current asic resistance I can see a hard fork of ETH canceling it out.
    However ETH is moving from POW to POS, which should be the end of mining on that currency at least. It's a 2 - 3 year plan though, any sudden changes would devalue the currency.

It's a temperary problem but not as temporary as the majority of gamers are happy with. Which is understandable but what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

If the mining bubble bursts could there be a glut of used high end gpus for sale at less than rrp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

buzzerxx wrote: »
    If the mining bubble bursts could there be a glut of used high end gpus for sale at less than rrp ?

Just depends on how many are out there. Plenty of people willing to buy an ex mining gpu for a bit over MSRP. There would have to be a lot flooding the second hand market to get em below msrp

Are Nvidia actually going ahead and exasperating the shortage issue by disabling gaming on some of the cards they produce?
    Or have they once again been forced to change course?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Are Nvidia actually going ahead and exasperating the shortage issue by disabling gaming on some of the cards they produce?
    Or have they once again been forced to change course?

Sounds more like they're using 80% dies for mining, so no budget models likely.

• Advertisement

Debating whether I should buy the next 3090 that comes up for within 100 quid of MSRP. Looked at the Ethereum calculator briefly which seems to say it'd make me 500 a month but it's hard to justify parting with the money

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Debating whether I should buy the next 3090 that comes up for within 100 quid of MSRP. Looked at the Ethereum calculator briefly which seems to say it'd make me 500 a month but it's hard to justify parting with the money

Check the calculator again now :)
    Still profit though just not as crazy.

It's dipped a bit alright but I was slightly understating how much it would make. Still seems to be around 500 a month rn but this Ethereum bubble might be about to pop

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    It's dipped a bit alright but I was slightly understating how much it would make. Still seems to be around 500 a month rn but this Ethereum bubble might be about to pop

Good. Hopefully for good this time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I just love, that in takes just one person to tweet something positive or negative and have huge impact on currencies worth.

Just shows that people like these crypto currencies only because they can make money by buying and selling it, not because it actually worth something or even needed or convenient.

It's like stock market, but even worse.

Unless there is some drastic changed gamers can forget about getting gpus any time soon.

Crypto has a use and has value but yes greed inflates the price far beyond what it actually is and most these greedy people low money in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Anyone managed to grab a 3070 from Currys this morning? Got a notification it was in stock, but never saw it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

TheRover wrote: »
    Anyone managed to grab a 3070 from Currys this morning? Got a notification it was in stock, but never saw it available.

Managed to get one in basket but purchase didn't go through

just out of interest i looked at the new 3060 prices on overclockers.......£400, and i spotted a 3060ti for £530 hahaha wtf is going on in the world. my first gpu was a 60 series, a gtx 460, think it was like €200 at the time it was released

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

just out of interest i looked at the new 3060 prices on overclockers.......£400, and i spotted a 3060ti for £530 hahaha wtf is going on in the world. my first gpu was a 60 series, a gtx 460, think it was like €200 at the time it was released

Shocked by a 3060ti at 530, guess you are new here. 900 is the new price for 3060 ti

• Advertisement

spix wrote: »
    Shocked by a 3060ti at 530, guess you are new here. 900 is the new price for 3060 ti

What a mess haha, I was hoping for a new 2kish build this year to move on from my i7 6700k and 1080ti but ill be sticking with it for a while yet it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I just love, that in takes just one person to tweet something positive or negative and have huge impact on currencies worth.

Just shows that people like these crypto currencies only because they can make money by buying and selling it, not because it actually worth something or even needed or convenient.

It's like stock market, but even worse.

Unless there is some drastic changed gamers can forget about getting gpus any time soon.

Ive been out of the loop for a while, last time i built a Pc was 2015. Was thinking aobut upgrading and have saved up a few quid now, so i started looking online. There's ****ing NOTHING, anywhere. I cant believe how bad it is. Like maybe f you want to buy a 2060 for almost 600 quid you're in luck, but bitcoin mining has absolutely fisted the guts out of the GFX card market. Im honestly stunned. The last time i bought a card, i just went on to komplett.ie, picked my 970, clicked buy, and got it 2 days later. Today i check komplett.ie, and what do they have in stock? Two GT 710's. And thats it. Forget about amazon or ebay, youre not getting anything for less than a grand.
    Honestly just thinking about upgrading everything else and sticking with my 1660 for the time being. This is insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

It is really bad and it's not only the scalpers and the miners, there is a wide silicon shortage that apparently affects even the car manufacturers.

Ive been out of the loop for a while, last time i built a Pc was 2015. Was thinking aobut upgrading and have saved up a few quid now, so i started looking online. There's ****ing NOTHING, anywhere. I cant believe how bad it is. Like maybe f you want to buy a 2060 for almost 600 quid you're in luck, but bitcoin mining has absolutely fisted the guts out of the GFX card market. Im honestly stunned. The last time i bought a card, i just went on to komplett.ie, picked my 970, clicked buy, and got it 2 days later. Today i check komplett.ie, and what do they have in stock? Two GT 710's. And thats it. Forget about amazon or ebay, youre not getting anything for less than a grand.
    Honestly just thinking about upgrading everything else and sticking with my 1660 for the time being. This is insanity.

Shadow virtual PC service is looking more and more appealing tbh.

Shadow virtual PC service is looking more and more appealing tbh.

Real talk. This is literally the worst time to be a PC gamer i can remember. And it sucks, cause i can remember the excitement of planning and building all my main gaming PCs, since i built my first one in 2004. Im lucky enough that the PC i built in 2015 (4770k overclocked to 4.4, 24gb ram, and a 970gtx, now supplanted by a 1660gtx) still handles everything i throw at it. Even cyberpunk at 1080p ultra settings ran fine.... shame about the game :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's a perfect storm indeed - I am happier and happier that I got a 2070 Super in Jan 2020; When the 30XX cards were announced and the benchmarks came out, I was "oh fcuck, that was bad timing!", but now...yeah.

I probably shouldn't say this but...I still have my older GTX 1070. Wanted to sell it, then COVID-19 hit and I put it to folding@home use. Now...considering how hard would it be to find a replacement for the 2070 in case of any issues, I basically keep it as a spare "emergency" solution. Kinda effed up.

And while the "perfect storm" scenario above is real right now with the COVID+Crypto+Chinese Holidays combo (and probably ALIENS, I mean, it's always ALIENS!!!), I gotta say that with bloody effing sh1tty mining (does it show I hate crypto with a passion? :D), the lookout isn't really good for the foreseeable future, unless another crash happens.

Fact is, ramping up GPU production is a long and expensive process and manufacturers - be in AMD, nVidia or any of their contractors - aren't likely to run the risk of investing massively into production increase, only to be left with thousands of unsold cards should ETH price crash back again :(

I'm frankly surprised the whole mining thing hasn't taken PS5/Xbox sX over yet. In terms of hashing power, they should be right up there with most GPUs except the very higher end ones.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It's a perfect storm indeed - I am happier and happier that I got a 2070 Super in Jan 2020; When the 30XX cards were announced and the benchmarks came out, I was "oh fcuck, that was bad timing!", but now...yeah.

I probably shouldn't say this but...I still have my older GTX 1070. Wanted to sell it, then COVID-19 hit and I put it to folding@home use. Now...considering how hard would it be to find a replacement for the 2070 in case of any issues, I basically keep it as a spare "emergency" solution. Kinda effed up.

And while the "perfect storm" scenario above is real right now with the COVID+Crypto+Chinese Holidays combo (and probably ALIENS, I mean, it's always ALIENS!!!), I gotta say that with bloody effing sh1tty mining (does it show I hate crypto with a passion? :D), the lookout isn't really good for the foreseeable future, unless another crash happens.

Fact is, ramping up GPU production is a long and expensive process and manufacturers - be in AMD, nVidia or any of their contractors - aren't likely to run the risk of investing massively into production increase, only to be left with thousands of unsold cards should ETH price crash back again :(

Yeah, im kinda pissed at myself for selling my 970 during the summer. Probably shouldve held onto it just in case. God knows, i could probably flip it for about 5 grand nowadays :D

Id be tempted to go AMD if their supply is better than nvidias, but the last car dof theirs i had was a 4870 i believe, and it was a dumpster fire. One of the worst cards i ever owned, and after that i swore off AMD for life.

H3llR4iser wrote: »

I'm frankly surprised the whole mining thing hasn't taken PS5/Xbox sX over yet. In terms of hashing power, they should be right up there with most GPUs except the very higher end ones.

tbf these where released a good bit back now and they still cant be easily got, i can only imagine if they could be used for mining the situation would be even worse than the current console scalper situation.

Yeah, im kinda pissed at myself for selling my 970 during the summer. Probably shouldve held onto it just in case. God knows, i could probably flip it for about 5 grand nowadays :D

Id be tempted to go AMD if their supply is better than nvidias, but the last car dof theirs i had was a 4870 i believe, and it was a dumpster fire. One of the worst cards i ever owned, and after that i swore off AMD for life.

im seriously considering selling my 1080ti which i could certainly get more for now than a year ago, only issue is i cant buy anything close to rrp new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'd love to try out a Radeon card again, last time I had one I reckon they were still called ATI (it was an X1800XT!), at the time it was pretty much what a 3090 is today; They also worked fine - and had a better visual quality on screen than nVidia's (back when the VGA connection was ANALOG!!!). Different times, of course...

Today my issue is, other than gaming I use a couple of CUDA-based applications at an hobby level - and they don't seem to have any OpenCL version.

I might try one once A-the market normalizes and B-if I end up building a "living room" pc.

Advertisement