Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

tbf these where released a good bit back now and they still cant be easily got, i can only imagine if they could be used for mining the situation would be even worse than the current console scalper situation.

In the time since my post I've done a bit of research - people ARE looking into it indeed. Looks like power consumption is a major obstacle - to run a PS5 or Xbox X, you need for each to power a CPU, mainboard, memory and GPU - installing 2 graphics cards on a single, cheapish mobo/CPU combo has a clear advantage...then again, people are running "squadrons" of gaming laptop to mine, so I guess it's an obstacle that can be overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php?search_query=RTX+3060

* €549-579 (single fan)
    * €589-599 (dual/triple fan)

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was going to get a 3060 to tide me over and so I can sell my old system with the 1070.

But at that price they can **** right off. I'm not paying over the odds on a proverty card.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

So I'm guessing I SHOULDN'T spend €580 on one of those cards...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

At least it's a good time to sell for a lucky few. I had to sell my RTX3070 machine as I'm going to be moving around a lot over the next year, and I have a decent laptop which gets me by just fine. Got an amazing price for it thanks to the current situation.

Be probably at least a year before I look at building again, probably longer realistically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Homelander wrote: »
    At least it's a good time to sell for a lucky few. I had to sell my RTX3070 machine as I'm going to be moving around a lot over the next year, and I have a decent laptop which gets me by just fine. Got an amazing price for it thanks to the current situation.

Be probably at least a year before I look at building again, probably longer realistically.

The issue with selling is unless you have a backup PC/GPU to tide you over until parts can be bought, your fcuked :pac: I put my auros 1080ti up on adverts just to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

im seriously considering selling my 1080ti which i could certainly get more for now than a year ago, only issue is i cant buy anything close to rrp new

You want to have your cake and eat it hehe. Selling old gpu and inflated prices, but you want to buy new gpu at normal prices.

The sad truth is right now, if you want a gpu - Get a prebuilt or pay double rrp.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Was going to get a 3060 to tide me over and so I can sell my old system with the 1070.

But at that price they can **** right off. I'm not paying over the odds on a proverty card.

I remember paying 500eu for 680 back in the day and it was fastest card out for a bit. 500eu won't even get you a "poverty card" as you say hehe.

I am even more happier now, that I got myself a decent gaming laptop in late 2019. By the looks of it, it will be my pc gaming device even longer now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kicking myself as a mate was begging me to buy one at launch as he could get 3070s and 3080s for us.

Thought I'd be sensible and wait until after Xmas when I had money.

Wouldn't mind but I'm the absolute worst when it comes to impulse purchases. The one time it would have paid off :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Kicking myself as a mate was begging me to buy one at launch as he could get 3070s and 3080s for us.

Thought I'd be sensible and wait until after Xmas when I had money.

Wouldn't mind but I'm the absolute worst when it comes to impulse purchases. The one time it would have paid off :pac:

A week ago I got drunk and woke up with knowledge that I bought Lego VW camper set, while under influence. :D
    Next time try alcohol lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah, im kinda pissed at myself for selling my 970 during the summer. Probably shouldve held onto it just in case. God knows, i could probably flip it for about 5 grand nowadays :D

Id be tempted to go AMD if their supply is better than nvidias, but the last car dof theirs i had was a 4870 i believe, and it was a dumpster fire. One of the worst cards i ever owned, and after that i swore off AMD for life.

Are you sure you mean the 4870. I had one of those back in the day and thought it was a good card. Mine was a blower card so loud as fúck but other than that I thought it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, 4870 was a beaut.

You want to have your cake and eat it hehe. Selling old gpu and inflated prices, but you want to buy new gpu at normal prices.

The sad truth is right now, if you want a gpu - Get a prebuilt or pay double rrp.

I like cake :pac:

So just checked a few reviews of 3060 and it looks like a cracking card... for 300eu ish. Definitely perfect for people ( like me ), who are on 1060. I would even buy one "at normal times", just throw in to my 2500k to get another year out of my system. Still could sell it for 200eu after, again, "at normal times".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

The supply of chips is 30% below the demand
    Just to make the life of the pc builder more fun there is a drought in Taiwan and they are shipping water in by truckload to the TSMc chip fab to keep it going.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56198269
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/global-chip-shortage-taiwan-drought
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Are you sure you mean the 4870. I had one of those back in the day and thought it was a good card. Mine was a blower card so loud as fúck but other than that I thought it was grand.

Yup. The 4870 was trash im afraid. I remember RAGE launched completely broken (this may have been an all AMD card issue at the time tho). All its textures were completely glitched, AMD released a new driver once every 6 months if you were lucky, mine kept crashing and glitching, while i looked enviously at Nvidia owners and their constant driver updates and games optimised for nvidia. My card may have been a bogey one but it was enough that i havent even considered buying AMD since 2011. Tho that may have to change now lol

That was definitely an outsider, the 4870 was an amazing card. I had one and I really don't think I had any issues with it whatsoever.

Also RAGE was like that on all cards. It had horrendous texture glitching and pop-in due to the engine, it wasn't anything to do with specific cards or whether it was AMD or Intel. By that stage I had an Nvidia card and it was fairly bad, often it would take 10 seconds or longer for textures to even appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I bought rage 7 years after launch and got a refund in 1 hour due to gamebreaking "bugs".

remember my first serious card being a 7970, what a beast.

dammit, ive been offered 550 for my 1080ti :( id have to use my old 7970 until i can buy a 3080 which i assume will be gold dust for who knows how long. Cruel world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

2070 super super going for 800-1000.
    Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Random browsing around.

3070 for 999, >5 in stock apparently.
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-MSI-GeForce-RTX-3070-Suprim-X-8G--GDDR6--HDMI--3x-DP--V390-005R-_1388389.html

It's not good value, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I bought rage 7 years after launch and got a refund in 1 hour due to gamebreaking "bugs".

Rage 2 is free on Epic games.

All Eyes On Rafah

Lumen wrote: »
    Random browsing around.

3070 for 999, >5 in stock apparently.
    https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8GB-MSI-GeForce-RTX-3070-Suprim-X-8G--GDDR6--HDMI--3x-DP--V390-005R-_1388389.html

It's not good value, but...

wont ship outside of germany

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

wont ship outside of germany

Ah. I have a mailboxde.com address but haven't tried using it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

+1 on the 4870 being a top drawer card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I just snagged a 3070 on currys.ie - I signed up to cosie90’s discord a few weeks ago (see https://www.twitch.tv/cosie90) and one popped up this evening.

I did end up with one in my basket a couple of times during the week but couldn’t complete the purchase on my phone. I did it on my laptop and it worked. Looks like the curry’s mobile site is borked.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Is the gigabyte 3070 a safe buy? I saw some had issues at launch, but can't remember which brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Is the gigabyte 3070 a safe buy? I saw some had issues at launch, but can't remember which brands.

I hope so. I don’t see many reports of issues. I won’t be over clocking in any case as I’m still running 1080p monitors and all reviews indicate it will easily handle that on Ultra. It should be a serious step up from my 970.

• Advertisement

vlad2009 wrote: »

I bought that exact one from Currys and have zero issues with it. Good solid card, good temps, not very loud.

Running it on a 1080P 144hz monitor is grand, but on a standard 1080P 60hz monitor it will be wasted, it won't perform any different than say an RTX2060 or so.

Advertisement