Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Never mind me that won't work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Never mind me that won't work

Going to suggest parcel motel?

Jeff Bezos has been joined by the entire Tory cabinet on my punch in the jaw if I ever meet them in the pub list.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Going to suggest parcel motel?

Jeff Bezos has been joined by the entire Tory cabinet on my punch in the jaw if I ever meet them in the pub list.

Parcel Motel not running a UK service now.

Was going to say Address Pal. Had it my head that Amazon are sorting the Irish Vat issue so would be grand. But address pal address would cause UK vat to be paid, then Irish vat collected on delivery here so no good. Daft Moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Looks like over the past month, both of the main crypto currencies have taken a bit of a drop in value. Hopefully this will continue. If I remember correctly, I read the other day that the Biden administration is looking to either tax or regulate the crypto currency market in some way. If that goes through. That should put a dampener on things. Either way hope its decline continues. So us gamers at least have a bit of a chance to get new graphics cards, but more importantly, the electricity that is wasted in this useless endeavour will drop.

Ive seen so many articles in mainstream media just in the last few days about how Crypto is using more power than the entire country of Argentina and how its worse for the environment than godzilla attacks etc etc. Honestly i think its only a matter of time before some kind of clampdown on it happens, whether tis under the guise of protecting the environment and the power grids or protecting the US Dollar, i reckon its coming

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Parcel Motel not running a UK service now.

Was going to say Address Pal. Had it my head that Amazon are sorting the Irish Vat issue so would be grand. But address pal address would cause UK vat to be paid, then Irish vat collected on delivery here so no good. Daft Moment

Yup that's it exactly, only use the parcel forwarding services if you don't mind paying 21% over retail price.

• Advertisement

harmless wrote: »
    Yup that's it exactly, only use the parcel forwarding services if you don't mind paying 21% over retail price.

Yeah I have something from from America where I'm going to get hammered by that. but Ill happily pay double for it, I just HAVE to have it so no biggy.

at least for now Amazon.co.uk is paying Irish Vat for you so its only import duty on things bought from there if valued above €150, and PC components with their 0% duty mean we can use amazon.co.uk as normal for parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good to see crypto beginning to tank.

at least for now Amazon.co.uk is paying Irish Vat for you so its only import duty on things bought from there if valued above €150, and PC components with their 0% duty mean we can use amazon.co.uk as normal for parts.

That's if they will ship, had them refuse to ship RTX cards to me twice.

That's if they will ship, had them refuse to ship RTX cards to me twice.

does it not warn you before purchase that it wont ship to Ireland? I've seen that before. but never had an order placed to later be told they wont ship it to Ireland. Admittedly not on RTX cards yet as I haven't got a UK one into basket

does it not warn you before purchase that it wont ship to Ireland? I've seen that before. but never had an order placed to later be told they wont ship it to Ireland. Admittedly not on RTX cards yet as I haven't got a UK one into basket

You literally don't have time to check that if you want an RTX card. If you check if it will ship the card is gone :)

• Advertisement

You literally don't have time to check that if you want an RTX card. If you check if it will ship the card is gone :)

That's what I mean though I don't have to actively check it. My amazon account is signed in with my preferred address pre selected. Its right there in red printed text next to the add to cart/buy now buttons.
    If I see red text as I go to click the button I know its a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

I've been lucky enough to get a few 30-series cards...

Probably 8 successful orders... but I cancelled some as later order beat them on cost, or they were a better brand.
    Actually bought 3 and they were all delivered.

In case it helps, here's what I did and it seemed to make me have better odds compared to what i read on Discord:

Use twitter primarily: Follow PartAlert and StockDrops
    Have notifications On for Mobile. Be signed into all the Amazons in Europe, and have card and address already hooked up so you just need click 'buy it now'. I used a Revolut card tied to my account that didn't have money on it so i was never charged immediately.

Then when phone buzzes... click notification It'll bring you to twitter, click the image to the amazon page and click buy it now. Just do that as fast as you can. Don't even bother looking at the price/location/seller...With Amazon you can cancel your order after it's made if you don't like what you've just bought.

I followed the Discord servers but never got anything.

corvus4906 wrote: »
    I've been lucky enough to get a few 30-series cards...

Probably 8 successful orders... but I cancelled some as later order beat them on cost, or they were a better brand.
    Actually bought 3 and they were all delivered.

In case it helps, here's what I did and it seemed to make me have better odds compared to what i read on Discord:

Use twitter primarily: Follow PartAlert and StockDrops
    Have notifications On for Mobile. Be signed into all the Amazons in Europe, and have card and address already hooked up so you just need click 'buy it now'. I used a Revolut card tied to my account that didn't have money on it so i was never charged immediately.

Then when phone buzzes... click notification It'll bring you to twitter, click the image to the amazon page and click buy it now. Just do that as fast as you can. Don't even bother looking at the price/location/seller...With Amazon you can cancel your order after it's made if you don't like what you've just bought.

That's good going. Do you have loads of PCs or are you helping secure cards for friends?
    This is the way to do it imo it also worked for me.
    I got a 3060ti that I canceled while it was in transit, it was a zotac and I really didn't like the cooler. A 3080 for myself and another 3060ti I sold for RRP to a friend.
    I have mroe free time than they do so I figured why not snipe a card for them.

corvus4906 wrote: »

Today was my first full day of having the discord open and Twitter notificatios on. I found that on about 75% of notifications I got a partalert discord bing on my laptop before a part alert Twitter notification on my mobile.

Hadn't seen stockdrop I'll have to check them out

No joy for me today, all out of my price range but I was training my reflexes :D

Today was my first full day of having the discord open and Twitter notificatios on. I found that on about 75% of notifications I got a partalert discord bing on my laptop before a part alert Twitter notification on my mobile.

No joy for me today, all out of my price range but I was training my reflexes :D

I'll have to try on desktop. Have been on mobile.

Today was pretty slim pickings.

I would frequently get the notification on telegram on my phone first but have had more luck with discord on desktop when it came to buying. My phone is a bit old and slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Are the prices any better with those alerts or is it just a case of being able to actually be able to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Are the prices any better with those alerts or is it just a case of being able to actually be able to buy?

Some of the prices are reasonable, but I have yet to get anything in my basket. Never mind getting to checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

There is a lad on Adverts that has completely lost his mind with the GPU situation.

Has an RX580 up for €750. GTX1660 for €650. €220 for an old R9 380.

Previously had a RX480 up for €300, and when he got zero offers he made a new ad and raised the price to €400.

Feel sorry for him, seems he went out and bought a load of cards for inflated prices and somehow thinks he can now make huge profit on the already inflated prices he paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Homelander wrote: »
    Feel sorry for him, seems he went out and bought a load of cards for inflated prices and somehow thinks he can now make huge profit on the already inflated prices he paid.

I don't, people like him are the reason the rest of us can't even get older cards as a stopgap without getting scalped. Probably bought Gamestop stock at $300 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The worrying thing is that there seem to be genuine offers of 500 on those RX 580 8Gb cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The worrying thing is that there seem to be genuine offers of 500 on those RX 580 8Gb cards.

Yep, some people have been without a GPU for a while. I do know at least two who rushed to sell their 20-series GPUs before the the 30s were released, fearing they'd drop in value next to zero. Makes sense others are in the same situation and are trying to get something relatively decent, to at least get their rigs going again, which in turns gives more bargaining power to the scalpers.

On one hand, it's really funny because they called me "doomsayer" when I basically predicted all this. Same thing happened here, on the Playstation forum (or maybe it was the Xbox one), when I tried to warn a few well-meaning parents that getting the console(s) for Christmas would've been nigh on impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Anyone know of Nvidia cards are able to use Smart Access Memory on AMD boards yet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Anyone know of Nvidia cards are able to use Smart Access Memory on AMD boards yet?

It's in progress. The drivers for it were out last week, and it now needs appropriate BIOS and VBIOS support from motherboard and GPU manufacturers respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sneak wrote: »
    After finally managing to bag a 3090 on Amazon Italy now I can't for the life of me find a 1000 watt psu. Looks to be just as hard to get one :(

Yeah I had trouble replacing my own 1200w psu back in November due to a psu failure. Managed to get one after a few weeks but all PC tech is hard to grab right now due to the pandemic throttling freight capacity as well as a huge surge in consumer demand due to boredom, extra capital and a cryptoboom.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BuCkoTroN

There is a lad on Adverts that has completely lost his mind with the GPU situation.

Previously had a RX480 up for €300, and when he got zero offers he made a new ad and raised the price to €400.

Absolute mindlessness going on here!

Some people just have no shame.

Frankly I am glad that I traded my RTX 2080TI for a 3080 with cash when I did last year.

You would think Nvidia would cop on, this always happens with every significant generational leap.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I have zero sympathy for this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

He would be better off trying ebay.

The average sale price of an rx 5700 (non xt) is around $1000 on us ebay atm.

I'd sell mine in a heartbeat for that price if I could get my hands on a new card.

If I'm gonna overpay for a new card I'm gonna overcharge for the old one to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Interesting bit of data that sort of demonstrates how absurd the market is at the moment, from the Steam Hardware Survey:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The RTX 3080 is the first of the "next gen" cards, with a grand total of 0.74% of share. Well behind relics from the Jurassic like GTX 750Ti and even barely functional stuff like GT 1030s. The 3060Ti has about the 0.33% and 3090s are 0.29%. The 3070 doesn't even feature in the list - as absent are all of the new AMD cards.

As generic as the Steam Hardware Survey can be, the fact that two entire lines of GPU that sell out the moment they're stocked, regardless of the price, are basically nonexistent in it puts the "unprecedented demand from gamers" discussion to bed. The majority of these cards end up in mining rigs - or gatering dust in some scalper's bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Interesting bit of data that sort of demonstrates how absurd the market is at the moment, from the Steam Hardware Survey:

Does this survey include all computers where Steam is installed, or just computers where people are actually playing games?
    I wonder how many people have Steam installed on computers simply to use the chat feature or browse things (e.g. work computers, not gaming PCs).

Advertisement