Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

tazzzZ wrote: »
    I've a 3090FE and can confirm I have the RAM junction temp issue. Idle temps are fine but gaming temps sky rocket. 100+ in literally everything. I never get as high as 110 for throttling but its far too high for my liking. I dont mine at all so thats not an issue for me.

I have new thermal pads arriving today to get this replacement done.... not going to lie I am ****ting myself! I've replaced coolers on cards before but 3090 cost is just a different level of risk. At the same time the benefits are so high... and I imagine that constant use at these high temps could result in long term degradation.

If you are going to do it yourself then video it. The only real issue is being able to put everything back together in the right order.

Also there is bound to be a Youtube video on your exact model

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tazzzZ wrote: »
    I've a 3090FE and can confirm I have the RAM junction temp issue. Idle temps are fine but gaming temps sky rocket. 100+ in literally everything. I never get as high as 110 for throttling but its far too high for my liking. I dont mine at all so thats not an issue for me.

I have new thermal pads arriving today to get this replacement done.... not going to lie I am ****ting myself! I've replaced coolers on cards before but 3090 cost is just a different level of risk. At the same time the benefits are so high... and I imagine that constant use at these high temps could result in long term degradation.

GN did a teardown of the 3090 FE, will tell you everything to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just had a look at my HWinfo64 there, I always have it running in the background when ever the PC is on....I just like checking the numbers frequently.

After playing MSFS 2020 for about 2 hrs and then straight into Destiny 2 these are my temps.

GPU 3090
    Minimum 29c / Max 66.6c / Average 58c

Memory Junction for same

Min 36c / Max 78 / Average 71c

So I am happy out with them temps.

Also because the temps are good the default card boosts to 2,500mhz when gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just had a look at my HWinfo64 there, I always have it running in the background when ever the PC is on....I just like checking the numbers frequently.

After playing MSFS 2020 for about 2 hrs and then straight into Destiny 2 these are my temps.

GPU 3090
    Minimum 29c / Max 66.6c / Average 58c

Memory Junction for same

Min 36c / Max 78 / Average 71c

So I am happy out with them temps.

Also because the temps are good the default card boosts to 2,500mhz when gaming.

Which 3090 do you have? I have never seen a 3090 boost any higher than 2100Ghz and im fairly sure Jayz2cents has only barely gotten over 2,500 on LN2.

Ive replaced many gpu coolers in the past so im not too worried about doing the work myself. Ive done a lot of research on it too. But still its a €1550 card so i will be sweating over it. I'd never trust someone else with it tbh. And they wont warranty their damage.

Stuff is due to arrive today so fingers crossed it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

Have an offer to buy the following card from Alternate.de for €1150. Think ill pass unless anyone here in the Dublin area would like it?

Seems to be making around that value in Adverts.

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC

https://www.alternate.de/GIGABYTE/GeForce-RTX-3070-Vision-OC-8G-Grafikkarte/html/product/1688819

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That's a stupid price to pay for a 3070.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

absolute crazy price for a 3070. a few months ago you were daft paying that for a 3080

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

Yes I agree. Not going to buy it after thinking about it. Just offering it here in case someone is desperate and would like a new one rather than adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Order was canceled. (VikingDirect)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Order was canceled. (VikingDirect)

was on to support myself today and was given this below, not expecting to get my order either :

Yolanda M (25/3/2021, 12:44:21): I am sorry to advise that there was a technical glitch on orders placed over the weekend. At the moment the order has not been processed and our IT team is processing these orders manually. You will receive an email confirmation pertaining to the order.

There is currently a problem with orders for the Graphic cards and it
    has been escalated to our IT team. You will be contacted with an update once the matter is resolved. My apologies for
    the inconveniences caused.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cancelled as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

My Viking order has not been cancelled yet. Chat gave me the same "IT Team" mumbo jumbo, but no more updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Checked the Memory Junction Temp on my 3080 FE tonight. Topped out at 96.0 - and it sat pretty much consistently in the 90s while gaming and mid 60s when idling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Will Crypto hurry up and crash already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

djivide_ wrote: »
    was on to support myself today and was given this below, not expecting to get my order either :

Yolanda M (25/3/2021, 12:44:21): I am sorry to advise that there was a technical glitch on orders placed over the weekend. At the moment the order has not been processed and our IT team is processing these orders manually. You will receive an email confirmation pertaining to the order.

There is currently a problem with orders for the Graphic cards and it
    has been escalated to our IT team. You will be contacted with an update once the matter is resolved. My apologies for
    the inconveniences caused.

I was on to them as well and they told me that due to unprecedented demand the order was canceled. They still had a Zotac 3060Ti listed last I checked but I'm just going to hold off and wait for stocks to trickle back in.

I have checked other sites as well just to see where prices are floating and Elara has a single 3060Ti listed with a modest restock estimation. "01-01-2040"

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Crypto really that big of an issue. LTT released a video the other day explaining what the real issue are. Basically it's other sectors getting priority and limited fab output ability to supply everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Crypto is that big of an issue when it comes to gamers getting GPUs,we have seen crypto cause availability issues in the past as well.

There is other factors of course,the limited fab capacity,the fact theres a pandemic etc etc.

Just seems to be all combining atm to make a perfect storm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The other main thrust of LTTs video is that there is unprecedented demand from gamers who

a. still have well paying jobs
    b. can't go out due to covid so have excess disposable income
    c. due to b. they have got back into gaming
    d. many people have been waiting for the 3000 series to upgrade

I was rocking a 970 in my old rig and would probably not have upgraded except for Flight Sim 2020, so you can blame me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Retr0gamer wrote: »

No thanks. I'm already up €40K profit since my investments in January. So long may it continue.

And crypto is not the problem. This narritive really annoys me and has to stop. Seeing all these YouTubers pushing this lowest common denominator tripe blaming miners for likes really boils my piss. I feel like I need to be very clear here:

MINERS ARE NOT THE REASON YOU CAN'T GET A 3080.

The only newer cards miners want right now are 3060's and 5700/5600XT's. Nothing else makes financial sense to use. And ETH mining is due to take a big hit in July so then they won't even want any AMD cards because they're no good at the other coin algorithms.

The reason you can't get cards right now is beacuse last year the entire f***ing manufacturing world shut down. At the same time that everyone needed a computer for home. And a record number of new smart cars are needing chips. And now anything that does trickle in gets bought up by scalper bots.

It turns out that when you don't make anything for a year, there won't be any product for a year. Who knew?

The guy down the street who wants a couple 3060ti's for mining isn't your problem.

Viking cancelled my 3060 order... but no Paypal refund yet. Shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Rob2D wrote: »
    No thanks. I'm already up €40K profit since my investments in January. So long may it continue.

And crypto is not the problem. This narritive really annoys me and has to stop. Seeing all these YouTubers pushing this lowest common denominator tripe blaming miners for likes really boils my piss. I feel like I need to be very clear here:

The only newer cards miners want right now are 3060's and 5700/5600XT's. Nothing else makes financial sense to use. And ETH mining is due to take a big hit in July so then they won't even want any AMD cards because they're no good at the other coin algorithms.

The reason you can't get cards right now is beacuse last year the entire f***ing manufacturing world shut down. At the same time that everyone needed a computer for home. And a record number of new smart cars are needing chips. And now anything that does trickle in gets bought up by scalper bots.

It turns out that when you don't make anything for a year, there won't be any product for a year. Who knew?

The guy down the street who wants a couple 3060ti's for mining isn't your problem.

Ha,talk about denial. Crypto may have been good for you but if you don't think warehouses full of GPUs mining on an industrial scale affects supply your way off.

When crypto has peaked in the past GPU supply became constrained and production wasnt shut down then.

548222.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

It does not matter which GPU miners prefer, they are draining the manufacturing capacity.
    Crypto mining is a disgraceful disgusting waste of energy and technology, up there with the high frequency trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This isn't the first time crypto has completely crippled the GPU supply, so it's not as if it's some new scenario either.

There's other factors in play obviously, but to say mining isn't a massive contribution to the unprecedented demand is just putting the blinders on because you don't want to hear the criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Rob2D wrote: »

The only newer cards miners want right now are 3060's and 5700/5600XT's.

So miners ARE the reason I couldn't get a 3060. Right.

FFS...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

TheRover wrote: »
    Viking cancelled my 3060 order... but no Paypal refund yet. Shameful.

same for my 3080 order :(

money was never taken from credit card only marked as pending

djivide_ wrote: »
    same for my 3080 order :(

money was never taken from credit card only marked as pending

Yup but Paypal works differently, hence my annoyance. Credit is literally gone from my account until Viking unlocks it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gslqfv5fqap61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ha,talk about denial. Crypto may have been good for you but if you don't think warehouses full of GPUs mining on an industrial scale affects supply your way off.

What world are you living in? I didn't realise there were warehouses full of gaming cards all over Europe? A picture of one idiot's setup you found online is not indicitive of the true situation.
    I ran the math on that picture and I can tell you that best case scenario this year he breaks even. Show any proper miner that setup and you would be laughed out of it.
    Cordell wrote: »
    Crypto mining is a disgraceful disgusting waste of energy and technology, up there with the high frequency trading.

Oh this is just delicious. You have no clue do you? Do you even know that most projects are proof of stake now? That crypto can be run entirely on renewable. That Bitcoin, if successful could be the single biggest motivating factor in human history for a move to clean energy?

Run along there and add up the cost of our current banking system for me. Go look at the cost of pulling gold out of the ground.

Better yet, here's a good one for all of you. Go and figure out how much cost and environmental impact gaming has every year. Go take a look in the mirror, then come back and talk to me.

Dedicating some of this energy and technology to trying to create a revoultionary system that could finally stand up to the cancer that is central banking is a fine endevour when compared to us needing to play several hours of games a day.

Some people around here need to seriously get down off their high horse and grow up. Learn how the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

There was absolutely no reason to take it personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

:confused:
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    gslqfv5fqap61.jpg

i got one in nov 2020, scan drop, discord alert, insta panic and scrambling to buy, hit buy within 30 seconds of alert, resulted in hanging with no order confirm, refreshed after a minute or two to show sold out......

email comes in five hours later with invoice and order confirm, could not believe it

Advertisement